lologeebee

When should I have a Senator petition on my behalf?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I sent my I-129F about ten days ago and just received my NOA1. I would like to request that both my senator and my governor call the USCIS to petition on my fiance and my behalf, but I am wondering when is the best time to do this. My case probably isn't being looked through yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Agreed, if your petition goes beyond six months, then call in the cavalry. All you'll get now is added to their email list requesting contributions. :lol:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you need to read the guides about the 1=129f k-1 fiance,e visa,it takes about 5 to 6 months to approval,if its over 6 months then call your senator or congressman in your area.just be patient.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

why would you have your senator petition on your behalf? they cannot petition for you, at any point. You just filed and you have to wait at least the 5 months before you can do a thing, and at that point you send a service request, not a senator or congressperson does it. If after the service request you still get nowhere they can inquire on your behalf. I suggest you study the boards at the top of this page.

Neither your Senator nor your representative can do anything in your behalf. If they could, everyone would ask them. The only thing they can do is ask for the status of your petition. Usually USCIS will answer them fairly quickly. Your Governor is not even part of the Federal government.

I asked once and USCIS told my Senator to "tell your constituent to wait", he is still well within normal processing time. Actually my Senator forwarded me the email from USCIS.

Remember USCIS neither works for, nor is part of the Legislative branch of government.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I sent my I-129F about ten days ago and just received my NOA1. I would like to request that both my senator and my governor call the USCIS to petition on my fiance and my behalf, but I am wondering when is the best time to do this. My case probably isn't being looked through yet.

Thank you!

It's impossible to know if they'll be able to do anything at all. Some representatives have more experiences than others with any meaningful level of interaction with USCIS. I have been waiting over 6 months (194 days today) and unfortunately even my representatives aren't able to put the pressure needed to speed up the adjudication process. I would be prepared to wait up until 7 months (odds are you will have an approval before then). But processing times fluctuate frequently and you could be waiting as short at 120-130 days or as long as 200+. There is no consistency in the process. Just be ready for the ride of your life...it's impossible to survive without a superhuman level of patience :(

1/13/12 - I-129F Petition Submitted to Dallas Lockbox

1/18/12 - Received at Vermont Service Center

1/20/12 - NOA1

1/24/12 - Touched

2/09/12 - Touched

8/02/12 - NOA2 (197 Days After Received at VSC)

8/14/12 - Received at NVC (Assigned Case Number)

8/16/12 - Departed from NVC

8/20/12 - Arrived in US Embassy Kiev

8/28/12 - Information Received from Embassy via mail

9/12/12 - Interview (Approved)

9/19/12 - Visa Received via Elin Ltd. (FedEx)

10/05/12 - POE

I waited about 6 months last year before receiving a response and realistically you should expect 5 months - 6 months wait assuming you don't receive a RFE.

To further clarify, most Senators and Congressmen will only assist you on getting a response on your case after you are out of the normal processing times. They usually request you try to resolve the issue on your own. Just be patient, then if you are beyond your processing times and you get no where with USCIS, you are well within your rights to ask for assitance from their offices. You will have to fill out a form for them to speak to them on your behalf (see Privacy Act of 1974).

Good Luck!

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

Elected officials can get no more out of USCIS than you can yourself. USCIS is not answerable to them. They cannot "put pressure" on USCIS.

In any event, ten days in is a mere drop in the bucket. If you have waited over 6 months by all means try a service request, following which you will be told to wait.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

If you update your timeline the site will give you an estimated adjudication date (NOA2). :blush: LIke others have said, now you get to wait for 4-6 months. There is no use in contacting legislators at this time, they will tell you the same thing.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

The others are right. My K-1 interview was approved today and there is one single truth I have learned in the last 7 months. It is this

There is no one or no way you can speed up this process unless you have a valid reason for expedite criteria. The sooner you realize and accept this, the better you will be off during the waiting.

I wasted a lot of energy and emotional strength to be sad and depressed. Looking back, I would accept that it will take as long as it takes and try hard to find something productive to do and distract my mind.

Your senator and congressman cannot petition on your behalf. They can inquire on your behalf.

Speaking from experience, unless your case is beyond normal processing time (still 5 months I believe) Your congressman office will not even write to USCIS, they deal with this kind of request daily and they know all too well that the USCIS will not even bother looking at your case unless it is beyond processing time.

If your case is beyond published processing time, your congressman office can inquire your case status for you. The USCIS has an obligation to response to an congressional inquiry within 48 hours.

However, they don't get better answer than you will. All we got was, we will hear from the USCIS within 30-45 days and that is IT and your congressman cannot do anything further.

The talk about congress inquiry "putting pressure on the USCIS" is an urban myth. Most people who contact their congressman had their case way overdue and was about to get case decision anyway. People associated this fortunate coincidence with unsupported fact.

The others are right. My K-1 interview was approved today and there is one single truth I have learned in the last 7 months. It is this

There is no one or no way you can speed up this process unless you have a valid reason for expedite criteria. The sooner you realize and accept this, the better you will be off during the waiting.

I wasted a lot of energy and emotional strength to be sad and depressed. Looking back, I would accept that it will take as long as it takes and try hard to find something productive to do and distract my mind.

Your senator and congressman cannot petition on your behalf. They can inquire on your behalf.

Speaking from experience, unless your case is beyond normal processing time (still 5 months I believe) Your congressman office will not even write to USCIS, they deal with this kind of request daily and they know all too well that the USCIS will not even bother looking at your case unless it is beyond processing time.

If your case is beyond published processing time, your congressman office can inquire your case status for you. The USCIS has an obligation to response to an congressional inquiry within 48 hours.

However, they don't get better answer than you will. All we got was, we will hear from the USCIS within 30-45 days and that is IT and your congressman cannot do anything further.

The talk about congress inquiry "putting pressure on the USCIS" is an urban myth. Most people who contact their congressman had their case way overdue and was about to get case decision anyway. People associated this fortunate coincidence with unsupported fact.

:thumbs:

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Dude, you're in for a long wait. Expect 6-8 months for NORMAL K1 processing.

Also expect a few months for something after the interview called, "Administrative Processing" because your fiance is from a high-fraud country. This cannot be speeded up or waived. I highly suggest you check out the Middle East and North Africa forum.

I wish you the best of luck in your visa journey. Learn to be patient; this process is not quick in any sense of the word. I got my NOA2 at day 49 and was overjoyed to have it come that quickly...this was back in 2009 and now processing times are about 5 months for just that first step.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

:wacko:

Unless you regularly eat dinner with them.......study up for whats next and relax......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

at least we can all wait together :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.