Brad and Vika

Did you buy a ticket for you and/or your S/O in advance?

Did you buy a ticket for you and/or your S/O in advance?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy a ticket for you and/or your S/O in advance?

• Absolutely - I never had any doubts about getting the visa!
    • No way - Even the government tells you not to!
    • Never bought a ticket.
    • Not that far along yet

24 posts in this topic

We bought tickets way in advance, but left some time for slow delivery, delays, or questions.

Edited to add fourth option. Please post your reasons for your vote.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I purchased her ticket the day after she was approved but scheduled it for two months later seeing how she had some loose ends to tie up and it was close to Christmas ...Latin and Orthodox. This gave her plenty of time to get some school paper work she needed for the university here along with sending her personal items here and saying her goodbyes. 21-22 days advance notice seems to be the key for getting a better price on tickets.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Our approval was months ahead of when we were expecting so we waited a month or so after visa approval to buy tickets, as she was going to wait until after christmas to come anyway. Of course as a side note we would really like that quickness now as we try to get her daughter here in time for start of school year :angry:

Edited by jimnlena

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I promised her I would be there for her interview and when I booked my ticket to travel I also booked her ticket to come to the US with me. Never really had any doubts as I had been to Russia 7 or 8 times to see her. We traveled back to the US 9 days after her interview.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I booked Sveta a seat to NYC because there are very few available for $358. Her interview will be August 29 and her flight will be Sept 30. Losing $358 isn't a huge deal, wasting more time than what we have already IS!!! ;-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Nope waited until we received approval from the Embassy, then purchased assuming a standard timeline for them to print the visas and then send via DHL (back then) and knowledge of how long they take (she lived close to Moscow.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I got Lena a ticket for about a month after the interview was scheduled. She had some things to wrap up and needed to prepare her son to take care of Grandma. But, like everyone on here, we were wanting everything to go fast to begin out life together. It will be seven years in November since she arrived. It's been a pretty nice journey since then. :yes:

She wanted to finish out the semester at her job, plus she had to get her permission to leave stamp in her passport which took another couple of months. So I bought the tickets for mid-December and she received the visa in mid-September. So we were one of those that waited about 3 months before using the visa. She was able to get her life in order so she could come to the US. We both figured what are a few more months.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I bought a ticket for Tanya in advance, and had her flying 5 days after the interview. .... Visa arrived with two days to spare!

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

I bought a ticket for Tanya in advance, and had her flying 5 days after the interview. .... Visa arrived with two days to spare!

I think that is about the same schedule we had. We may have stayed in Kiev a few more days, I'm too lazy today to go back and check.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

We bought ours so we could leave the night after the interview. Went to FedEx to get passport, nyet. After several days, lots of phone calls and visit back to consulate, we found out her BC was a day different than everything else (Dr. was drunk when she was born and put the next day, didn't catch that). So they had to go back to the State Dept and see if Iryna .... had an overstays, violations blah, blah, blah so several plane ticket changes, lots of money for the changes, we finally left 3 days later. Basically don't do it until you have the Visa in hand,

Our K1 Timeline

01/31/2005 send I129F to NSC

02/2 NOA1

04/01/2005 NOA2 Received via email

04/19/2005 NVC Issued Case #

05/21/2005 Received Packet 4 (never got Packet 3)

06/06/2005 Interview scheduled

06/09/2005 Obtained Visa's

07/09/2005 Wedding Day

AOS

06/29/2005 Filed for SS Card

12/31/2005 Filed for AOS/AP

1/11/2006 NOA1 AOS/AP

2/15/2006 Biometrics

10/17/2006 - AOS Approved!!

11/30/2006 - Houston we have Green Cards

08/24/2008 - Filed I-600 for Daughters Citizenship via Adoption

02/25/09 - Rcvd Removal of Conditions for wife

Citizenship

4/28/2010 - Daughter became "Naturalized Citizen" since I adopted her

4/9/2012 - Filed N-400 for wife

8/23/2012 - Interview Appt!

Mike and Iryna3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif

Didn't buy ticket for several months after approval.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I think that is about the same schedule we had. We may have stayed in Kiev a few more days, I'm too lazy today to go back and check.

About what we did. Had Visa delivered to Kherson from Kiev. Flew out of Odessa four to six days after interview. Don't remember exactly...

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Having done the K-1 visa process twice. Once for my first fiancee and once for my wife I could have selected either of two options. The first time, with my first fiancee, I was totally confident that we would get the visa, I went to Moscow to be there for the interview, infact as far as I could tell I was the only one out there waiting for his fiancee. I had booked a ticket for both of us for a week from the interview and we planned to stay in Moscow and pick up the visa. Well, we didn't get the visa. We got a dreaded 221-G instead. I ended up with the money for her flight being wasted. I thought I would at least have a little extra room on the way back with an empty seat beside me but even that didn't happen. Three or four weeks later she did get the visa, came here for 89 days and returned to Russia.

With my wife, I did not buy the ticket in advance. My wife wanted to return home to say her goodbyes and to finish her affairs so once we got the visa then we got the ticket. She came about three weeks after the interview and that was almost 5 years ago. She is actually back in Russia right now visiting her mom and heads back here tomorrow.

So there were two options I could have selected.

# 1. I was totally convinced my first fiancee would breeze throught the visa process and wasted a lot of money.

# 2. I had learned my lesson and would not have considered buying the ticket in advance.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

Alla did not come until a month after her visa was issued. She had a job and dared not tell them beforehand. She turned in her resignation the day she got her visa but had to meet obligations she had already commited to.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.