girlwithquestions

Have ya'll told your boss about your US immigration??

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I received my packet 4 yesterday and going to book an appoint :-) so my question is for those who are employed, have you mentioned anything about your immigration statues to your current employer yet? When are you going to do so?... Today at work, they were talking about something really unpleasant about USA...I was feeling upset hearing it but I did not say anything :-(...

Jan,2008 we met each other for the first time
March 11,2010, I flew to Dallas to visit him. We started dating.
September, 2011, we made the most stupid mistake we could have, sending out packet I-129 application without putting in a single page of supporting document.
January 12,2012, we received our declined petition letter after 5 months :-(
January 20, 2012, I flew to Dallas to prepare the packet and sent out the fiance petition
January 23, 2012, we received our noa1
May 30,2012, we received our noa2
June 13,2012, Our case was forwarded to Montreal
July 4,2012, I received RFE
July 5, 2012, I sent out RFE
July 9,2012, Montreal received my RFE
July 16,2012, I sent out my Packet 3 (I did not call Montreal to confirm if they have sent out my Packet 3)
July 25,2012, I received my Packet 4 in email
September 4,2012 at 9:10 am, visa approved !!!
September 6,2012, Visa in hand
November 17,2012, POE in Chicago
February 09,2013, Wedding

March 16,2013, AOS package sent out

March 22,2013,NOA received.

January 31, 2014, Card production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't. All my coworkers and my supervisor knew, but I didn't tell my boss and nobody told her. When I submitted my notice she was very angry with me for not telling her. But, I felt that was the best decision and I still do. It was a crappy part-time college job, and if she knew I was leaving she would have cut my hours.

Timeline

so I am working with a recruiting company and this guy, my co-worker tried to convinced a guy to work for another company. That guy went for the interview for the company and had positive feedback. My co-worker thought he almost did and waited for his commission. That guy changed his mind and decided to stay at old company. My co-work ( let's call him jackass) got so furious at work, cursing, slamming the door and blaming on the culture and everything.He's really money-hungry type of guy and sees everything with his DOLLAR eyes.

September, 2011, we made the most stupid mistake we could have, sending out packet I-129 application without putting in a single page of supporting document.
January 20, 2012, I flew to Dallas to prepare the packet and sent out the fiance petition
July 16,2012, I sent out my Packet 3 (I did not call Montreal to confirm if they have sent out my Packet 3)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

as they say....look out for #1--urself!!! I told mine, but I was in the Cdn Air Force....But if I had a civie job, prob would not as you never know what they would do.....round of lay offs coming up; who are they going to lay off. But saying that, I would give as much notice as I could

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I would not tell an employer of your intentions. They don't communicate with employees when they are thinking about layoffs etc so there is no need to tell them. They may make it miserable for you if you do tell them....so if you have a great relationship with your boss it wouldn't matter....but if you had that relationship then you probably wouldn't be asking the board that question I guess either.

I had to give my notice this week. It was hard. About two weeks before I attended my interview I told my boss that it was a possibility I'd be leaving but it was based on the approval of my visa. I explained that I wouldn't know for certain until I attended the interview. I told her I'd let her know the day I was approved via email since I would still be in Montreal. I got back to my hotel room and emailed saying that I was approved and that I'd send along my resignation letter when back in the office. I leave on August 15 so I gave Human Resources 3 weeks but gave my boss an extra 10 days. I just felt this was a better way since it was a little more personal and wouldn't be a total shock to my boss.

I should add that up until I told my boss it was a possibility, I kept it all to myself. It's your personal life.

A job is a job!

Edited by Tom & Stacy

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Timeline

I had to give my notice this week. It was hard. About two weeks before I attended my interview I told my boss that it was a possibility I'd be leaving but it was based on the approval of my visa. I explained that I wouldn't know for certain until I attended the interview. I told her I'd let her know the day I was approved via email since I would still be in Montreal. I got back to my hotel room and emailed saying that I was approved and that I'd send along my resignation letter when back in the office. I leave on August 15 so I gave Human Resources 3 weeks but gave my boss an extra 10 days. I just felt this was a better way since it was a little more personal and wouldn't be a total shock to my boss.

I should add that up until I told my boss it was a possibility, I kept it all to myself. It's your personal life.

A job is a job!

LOL...hopefully your boss is not giving you a hard time. My boss is known for making tough GUYS cry loud!!!

Timeline

A job is a job!

Stacy!! So Tom is in Texas???!!!! You know what? I know a TOM in Dallas, Texas. My bf's friend! ...I will be surprised it's the same one..haha ;-)

Stacy!! So Tom is in Texas???!!!! You know what? I know a TOM in Dallas, Texas. My bf's friend! ...I will be surprised it's the same one..haha ;-)

Haha! Sorry, not the same one unfortunately. Haha My Tom is in Houston. :-)

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

as they say....look out for #1--urself!!! I told mine, but I was in the Cdn Air Force....But if I had a civie job, prob would not as you never know what they would do.....round of lay offs coming up; who are they going to lay off. But saying that, I would give as much notice as I could

Sometimes the layoff thing can work in your favor. In my job I knew that there were layoffs coming, so I volunteered myself (saving someones job by doing so) and I got myself a nice big severance package :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sometimes the layoff thing can work in your favor. In my job I knew that there were layoffs coming, so I volunteered myself (saving someones job by doing so) and I got myself a nice big severance package :thumbs:

.....Looking out for #1,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

LOL...hopefully your boss is not giving you a hard time. My boss is known for making tough GUYS cry loud!!!

I am a tough guy and I agree, my boss had put me in tears. Not something i am proud of but some bosses can break you down.

My number one priority is my family. I have to do what's best for them and right now that's for me to get a better job. I told my boss about my immigration process but didn't mention I'll be leaving.

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Timeline

My boss knows. And has known since about 3 months after filing the first package. We have a small office and he knew my finace lives in Seattle. It was impending. He isn't that type boss that would put my job in jeopardy knowing this information. At this point, he's been given a very vague idea of when my departure might occur. But absolutely nothing set in stone. I will need to train someone before I leave the company, so there is a certain amount of security there (if there is such a thing as job security these days).

K-1 Petition
Jan 11, 2012 - I-129F Sent (USPS Priority)
September 10,2012 - Interview - APPROVED!

November 10, 2012 - OUR WEDDING DAY

AoS/EAD/AP
Jan 22, 2013 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent (USPS Priority)
April 9, 2013 - AoS Interview - Seattle - APPROVED!

ROC

Mar 04, 2015 - I-751 Sent (USPS Priority)

Apr 04,2015 - Biometrics Appointment

July 20, 2015 - RFE!

Sept 15, 2015 - Response to RFE Sent

Sept 29, 2015 - APPROVED!

Follow my Journey About Me or Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.