Lillian

EAD AND AP status confusion

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The bank told us they couldn't add my husband to our bank account without a SSN, something to do with the federal government and reporting or something. I honestly don't see the big deal. He's not putting money in right now, I am, haha. I just wanted him to be able to use it.

Regarding the lack of an American bank account, we use Paypal to transfer money from his German account to mine, but you'd need someone with a bank account to be able to do that. The fees are pretty good considering I can then transfer it straight to my bank account. You can also get a check or a prepaid card from there.

I'm sending you good vibes for a quick arrival of your EAD!

The fact is I was here for a couple of months before. I didn't have a SSN, but the organization I worked for somehow managed to open me an account with Bank of America. But that time I lived in Washington DC. In my current city there's no Bank of America branch.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Things don't work that way for me. My husband wouldn't add me to his account. I'll have to open one of my own and add him to it. (Kinda wish I'd never left my home country.)

?

Why won't he add you?

Call around, or simply take people up on their offer of driving you around. Go to a few banks and ask them in person. Sometimes you'll get a standard answer when just emailing through their webpage, or calling them.

Congrats on AP/EAD. Start applying for jobs ASAP. Volounteer places if you want to build on to your US resume. Which state are you in? Try taking your EAD/AP to your SSA and apply. Remember cert. marriage certificate(you can get that at county clerks office usually) if you're using your married name. If you get the SSN, then go to DMV and you're on a roll.

You don't have to have a bank account when getting your first paycheck, as long as you have an ID.

In my state, you can't just get a driver's license right away so I had my learner's permit for a while. Instead, I bought a 49cc scooter with my first paycheck. And it is pure freedom blowing through my hair(or helmet!) not having to ask people to drive me here or there, and I don't drive them crazy either. I'm still driving it btw, known as the European anti-lazy girl on the bike when dragging it through rainstorms, 105 degrees insane heat and what not. Ohhh, but the freedom triumphs all of that. :)

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I felt almost imprisoned however it did help to know that's a somewhat common feeling when starting all over in a new country.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Timeline

?

Why won't he add you?

Call around, or simply take people up on their offer of driving you around. Go to a few banks and ask them in person. Sometimes you'll get a standard answer when just emailing through their webpage, or calling them.

Congrats on AP/EAD. Start applying for jobs ASAP. Volounteer places if you want to build on to your US resume. Which state are you in? Try taking your EAD/AP to your SSA and apply. Remember cert. marriage certificate(you can get that at county clerks office usually) if you're using your married name. If you get the SSN, then go to DMV and you're on a roll.

You don't have to have a bank account when getting your first paycheck, as long as you have an ID.

In my state, you can't just get a driver's license right away so I had my learner's permit for a while. Instead, I bought a 49cc scooter with my first paycheck. And it is pure freedom blowing through my hair(or helmet!) not having to ask people to drive me here or there, and I don't drive them crazy either. I'm still driving it btw, known as the European anti-lazy girl on the bike when dragging it through rainstorms, 105 degrees insane heat and what not. Ohhh, but the freedom triumphs all of that. :)

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I felt almost imprisoned however it did help to know that's a somewhat common feeling when starting all over in a new country.

It's a frustrating situation. I feel like betrayed, or at least my trust is betrayed. I would never have left everything behind to come here share my life with someone if I had known that they wouldn't share anything of theirs with me, except the sexual organs. Sometimes we are positive that we know someone really well, but, you know, people believe they love and are loved, and they get married, and then they realize married life is not so rosy and cozy. I stress SOMETIMES, NOT ALL THE TIME.

At first I thought because he'd been single (living by himself) for too long, it would take time for him to adjust to the idea of "sharing". Now it's starting to dawn on me that he'd been single for all those years for a reason.

I feel low-class showing my dirty laundry out here. But, well, I'm lonely and sad, very very sad. At least you guys are listening and talking to me.

I'll try to divert my mind from this and think about other things.

Thank you for sharing with me. And let's talk about something else.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Precisely - it's frustrating. Anywho, I know it helps just letting it out sometimes, and getting a response at least. Might help to keep writing in your topic when something bugs you to let out some steam, or you're welcome to pm me.

:)

It's a frustrating situation. I feel like betrayed, or at least my trust is betrayed. I would never have left everything behind to come here share my life with someone if I had known that they wouldn't share anything of theirs with me, except the sexual organs. Sometimes we are positive that we know someone really well, but, you know, people believe they love and are loved, and they get married, and then they realize married life is not so rosy and cozy. I stress SOMETIMES, NOT ALL THE TIME.

At first I thought because he'd been single (living by himself) for too long, it would take time for him to adjust to the idea of "sharing". Now it's starting to dawn on me that he'd been single for all those years for a reason.

I feel low-class showing my dirty laundry out here. But, well, I'm lonely and sad, very very sad. At least you guys are listening and talking to me.

I'll try to divert my mind from this and think about other things.

Thank you for sharing with me. And let's talk about something else.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.