Cyberfx1024

Flying from Manila.

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We looked for most affordable direct route (least connections) from Manila to U.S. Ended up being Delta.

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We looked for most affordable direct route (least connections) from Manila to U.S. Ended up being Delta.

Delta is good for the least connections. The only problem I had was that their was no individual tv for each passenger because I flew in an older jet.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

I flew from Manila to LA alone after picking up my visa from the US embassy about three years ago. My husband chose Cathay Pacific for me and the experience was 8/10. I liked the in-flight entertainment system and although the layover in Hongkong was more than four hours, I had fun walking around the airport and talking to other US-bound passengers. Most of them were elderly couples and Pinays traveling alone who joined a cruise in Southeast Asia.

On the other hand, when my husband and I visited the Philippines together two months ago, we flew with Singapore Airlines to and from Cebu. It's a little better than Cathay Pacific albeit impractical due to a long layover in Singapore and an hour of refueling in Tokyo, adding about extra three hours to the total flight time. The good part was that we got to go around Singapore, visited a few tourist attractions and had some delectable Chinese and Indian food. At the end of it, we agreed to take a shorter flight with other airlines next time we visit the PH.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Qatar is nice if it is flying where you are going. They always had decent prices and nice food when we flew them and they fed you a lot. Are you leaving out of Cebu? It's more convenient in that respect but I think all their flights have a layover in Doha which is a small airport with a big duty free - not the best place for a long layover. (There was some talk of remodeling not sure if that happened so it might be better now). Overall I was all pleased with Qatar every time we flew them.

If there were a direct flight from Seattle to Manila, we would take it.

We're thinking about flying PAL from Vancouver, B.C., direct to Manila. Seattle to Vancouver, B.C., is only a 40 minute flight.

Even though the overall Seattle-Vancouver-Manila travel time on PAL takes longer than the Seattle-Narita-Manila Delta travel time, at least you nearly get it all over at once on the PAL flight.

Other flights we would be interested in:

A couple of days in Frisco followed by the PAL flight direct to Manila.

A couple of days in Vegas followed by the PAL direct flight to Manila (is this one still non-stop?).

I have a question for my fellow VJers.. Dealing strictly with the flights. What airline did you choose to fly to the USA and for what reason? I am thinking about either Qatar Airlines bc I am a FF or Delta which has a good time of us getting to my home in NC.

KAL to Korea to ATL

I too am a frequent flyer and my choice to/from Asia would be Cathay Pacific.

They are no direct flights from my home base (JFK) to Manila - you have to connect in Hong Kong. But should miss your connecting flight, you have options - 5 Daily flights between HK and Manila (plus additional flights on Cathay's subsidiary Dragon Air) and 4 daily flight between JFK and HK to choose from.

I usually try to get a free upgrade or use my miles for upgrades to First/Business class and Cathay was just voted the best Business Class in the world.

Whether its Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Asiana, Eva Air or Korean Airline, you cannot go wrong with any of these Asian airlines - not only that they have great airports & lounges but also very good customer service.

OP, if you get the chance to fly on Qatar, you should try them - another great airline.

USCIS

07-20-2010: I-130 package mailed.

07-22-2010: I-130 Package Received - Priority Date.

07-29-2010: Received text & email from USCIS - Notice Date.

07-30-2010: Check Cashed by USCIS.

08-02-2010: Received NOA1 hard copy.

08-02,04,05: Touched.

09-28-2010: Received text & email - petition approved.

10-04-2010: Received NOA2 hard copy.

NVC

10-13-2010: NVC Case# Received (after calling).

10-15-2010: Emailed DS-3032 to NVC.

10-16-2020: Received the DS-3032 package, IIN number & AOS bill via email.

10-22-2010: Paid AOS bill ($88) - showing IN PROCESS

10-25-2010: AOS fee PAID.

10-27-2010: Express Mail AOS Package.

10-27-2010: Paid IV bill - showing IN PROCESS.

10-28-2010: AOS package delivered.

10-28-2010: IV fee PAID.

10-29-2010: Express Mail IV package.

11-01-2010: IV package delivered.

11-08-2010: AOS packages entered into NVC system.

11-15-2010: IV package entered into NVC system.

11-23-2010: SIF.

11-24-2010: Case Complete.

CONSULATE

12-21-2010: Medical at SLMC - Passed

12-22-2010: Immunization at SLMC

01-04-2011: Interview @USEM ~ Approval

OTHER

02-05-2011: POE at JFK

N-400

05-01-2017: N-400 Sent

05-09-2017: Case accepted

05-15-2017: Biometric appointment scheduled

05-30-2017: Biometric

06-05-2017: Inline for interview

08-15-2017: Interview scheduled

09-19-2017: Interview (approved).

01-19-2018: Oath Ceremony

Thank you all for your comments on this. It is truly a learning experience. Delta is the cheapest for me. Because it flies to Tokyo/Detroit then North Carolina. I also like Qatar, and I might fly them bc it's only a $300 more per person than Delta. They fly into Washington DC, then its 1 hour flight to North Carolina. But either way I look at it. I am flying all the way on the other side of world. I really hate layovers, I would just rather fly straight thru to the destination.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a question for my fellow VJers.. Dealing strictly with the flights. What airline did you choose to fly to the USA and for what reason? I am thinking about either Qatar Airlines bc I am a FF or Delta which has a good time of us getting to my home in NC.

Hi! I have tried Delta, Korean Air, PAL so far from US to Phils, vice versa. Heres the thing, i loved Korean Air among the 3. First, their attendants are very helpful to help you with your luggage. Second, they got the best asian food (i'm choosy when it comes to food). Third, they have comfortable seats and very nice tv screen in front of your seat, compared to delta and PAL which has the screen in the middle for everyone. By the way, their movies are all new and updated. Fourth, their airport is super nice. they also got a shower area so you can look freshened up before your last stop. The only down side is the long hours of layover. but it is worth it, comfort wise. PAL is okay coz its all pinoy but the seats look old and yucky but the food is good. we got tocilog on the flight. Delta is good for miles but their service is not so good. Food is terrible.

Hope this helps.

****** Whatever comments i post are based only on what I've done or experienced during this journey. ******

And we should be here to help each other.

Peace out! =)

Timeline

Asiana Airlines and Korean Air... both have top notch service... with a little bit of playing with date/times i have found that using search engines like fare compare dot com shows u price differences based on flight dates and you can adjust the dates and see the price fluctuations.... Re: The Delta to Seattle... :) I will check them out for sure... The layover at Incheon isn't bad at all and allows me the opportunity to break up the flight so its like 2 segments.

As a FYI... The last time i flew Asiana, I had a 12.5 hour layover at Incheon. To compensate me for the long layover, they offered me a complimentary hotel or a paid tour of Seoul. ( I took the tour)..

Both airlines (offered as budget airlines) are by far cleaner and better than domestic flights Ive traveled here in the US.

( just my thoughts)

The shower area at the airport..... used it... its a great benefit ...

Hi! I have tried Delta, Korean Air, PAL so far from US to Phils, vice versa. Heres the thing, i loved Korean Air among the 3. First, their attendants are very helpful to help you with your luggage. Second, they got the best asian food (i'm choosy when it comes to food). Third, they have comfortable seats and very nice tv screen in front of your seat, compared to delta and PAL which has the screen in the middle for everyone. By the way, their movies are all new and updated. Fourth, their airport is super nice. they also got a shower area so you can look freshened up before your last stop. The only down side is the long hours of layover. but it is worth it, comfort wise. PAL is okay coz its all pinoy but the seats look old and yucky but the food is good. we got tocilog on the flight. Delta is good for miles but their service is not so good. Food is terrible.

Hope this helps.

If there were a direct flight from Seattle to Manila, we would take it.

We're thinking about flying PAL from Vancouver, B.C., direct to Manila. Seattle to Vancouver, B.C., is only a 40 minute flight.

Even though the overall Seattle-Vancouver-Manila travel time on PAL takes longer than the Seattle-Narita-Manila Delta travel time, at least you nearly get it all over at once on the PAL flight.

Other flights we would be interested in:

A couple of days in Frisco followed by the PAL flight direct to Manila.

A couple of days in Vegas followed by the PAL direct flight to Manila (is this one still non-stop?).

We flew through Vancouver last year on PAL. Consider my post before you take that route. PAL was fine, the rest was not. Hope you don't have the problems we had if you go that route.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/314340-phils-to-vancouver-to-usa/page__p__4717389__hl__vancouver__fromsearch__1#entry4717389

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Asiana Airlines and Korean Air... both have top notch service...
Asiana Airlines along with Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways are all 5-star airlines and ranked the top 4 airlines in the world - their services reflects that. Korean Air is right behind as a 4-star airline.

Here is the official rankings:

http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2011/Airline2011.htm

Personally, on a long haul trip, I would take comfort, service & connection options above getting the cheapest price.

Both airlines (offered as budget airlines) are by far cleaner and better than domestic flights Ive traveled here in the US.
I agree with that statement but both Asiana & Korean Air are not considered budget airlines.

USCIS

07-20-2010: I-130 package mailed.

07-22-2010: I-130 Package Received - Priority Date.

07-29-2010: Received text & email from USCIS - Notice Date.

07-30-2010: Check Cashed by USCIS.

08-02-2010: Received NOA1 hard copy.

08-02,04,05: Touched.

09-28-2010: Received text & email - petition approved.

10-04-2010: Received NOA2 hard copy.

NVC

10-13-2010: NVC Case# Received (after calling).

10-15-2010: Emailed DS-3032 to NVC.

10-16-2020: Received the DS-3032 package, IIN number & AOS bill via email.

10-22-2010: Paid AOS bill ($88) - showing IN PROCESS

10-25-2010: AOS fee PAID.

10-27-2010: Express Mail AOS Package.

10-27-2010: Paid IV bill - showing IN PROCESS.

10-28-2010: AOS package delivered.

10-28-2010: IV fee PAID.

10-29-2010: Express Mail IV package.

11-01-2010: IV package delivered.

11-08-2010: AOS packages entered into NVC system.

11-15-2010: IV package entered into NVC system.

11-23-2010: SIF.

11-24-2010: Case Complete.

CONSULATE

12-21-2010: Medical at SLMC - Passed

12-22-2010: Immunization at SLMC

01-04-2011: Interview @USEM ~ Approval

OTHER

02-05-2011: POE at JFK

N-400

05-01-2017: N-400 Sent

05-09-2017: Case accepted

05-15-2017: Biometric appointment scheduled

05-30-2017: Biometric

06-05-2017: Inline for interview

08-15-2017: Interview scheduled

09-19-2017: Interview (approved).

01-19-2018: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Delta is half way through refurbishing their 747 fleet (16 planes) with new interiors and entertainment(in-seat entertainment). So if you're lucky as I have been recently you will get one of those planes. The 747's fly manila-narita, manila-nagoya-detroit, narita-atlanta, narita- new york.. All the other routes out of Narita to the states are 777's and 330's which are all newer with inseat entertainment and a couple 767's which are older interiors but have inseat entertainment.

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Delta is half way through refurbishing their 747 fleet (16 planes) with new interiors and entertainment(in-seat entertainment). So if you're lucky as I have been recently you will get one of those planes. The 747's fly manila-narita, manila-nagoya-detroit, narita-atlanta, narita- new york.. All the other routes out of Narita to the states are 777's and 330's which are all newer with inseat entertainment and a couple 767's which are older interiors but have inseat entertainment.

Oh yeah, Delta got those old NWA planes. Yuck. I tried to avoid them for the specific reason of getting stuck on an international flight with no in-seat entertainment.

It's about time they fixed that.

Timeline

I Know I have heard some not so good comments about China Airlines but my Fiancee just arrived from Manila VIA Taipei Taiwan and she couldnt compliment them enough she told me.She said the Flight was good, Flight Attendants were really nice and the Food was good. The Main thing was the Flight was cheaper than ANY we could find after searching and searching.. I strongly recommend China Air. Also the Plane was over a half Hour early. Took her over an hour to come out the Tunnel.

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.