waiting4Oliverio

Juarez Consulate

4,122 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Felicidades Monica! :dance::dance: I'm so sorry you guys had to go through such a nightmare, I can only imagine how you two must have felt that afternoon right after his first interview :( But I'm glad to hear about the happy ending :yes:

Hello All,

This is my first post. I thank everyone who has posted here for sharing their experiences and insights. I have a few lingering doubts, and if anyone is kind enough to share their advice, we would certainly appreciate it.

My fiancee and I will be traveling to Juarez next week for the interview. We received the packet in November, but due to several considerations, have not gone for the interview until now.

Are you sure your NOA2 is still valid? I know that the Consulate can renew it, and I think in most cases they do, but be prepared or at least aware that this might come up, just in case.

After reading Monica's horror story, I am printing out as many e-mails as I can dating back to 2001 when we started dating, as well as compiling photographs, credit card statements, phone statements, and letters from friends and family. Is there anything else that you recommend bringing as evidence of our relationship?

If she can bring your passport with the entry stamps and/or the permits the mexican immigration has issued to you that would help too.

We had a religious ceremony in her hometown last July. Has anyone encountered any difficulties stemming from this? We made absolutely sure that the ceremony would have no legal ramifications, and no justice of the peace was present. Has this come up in anyone's interview?

As Gabacha said, DO NOT mention the religious ceremony and don't show any pictures of it if possible if she's wearing a wedding dress or there's anything on them that can lead them to think that you are already married. If you think you can use the pictures, like she said, say that it was an engagement party or a "pedida de mano", I think the later one would even be helpful for your cause if the pictures are safe to use. Oh, and this also applies to when she gets to the POE once she has the visa. If for any reason they think at that point that you are married they can still deny her entry to the US, even if she has the visa and all the evidence that you have a valid relationship.

Where and how do I pay for the medical exam and the interview itself? What can be paid by credit card, and what, if anything, must be paid for in cash?

In addition to the fiance visa, can and should we apply for anything else in Juarez, such as advance parole to travel?

Any other advice or resources are, of course, welcome.

Thank you and I will let everyone know how things are going.

-Oaxachusetts

It's all cash, you can pay for the visa (no additional fee for the interview) at any banamex, she can even go to one at her hometown before heading to Juarez. It would certainly be nice if you could apply for AP at that point, but unfortunately you'll have to wait for that until you are legally married in the US and apply for AOS. And nope, other than the visa you don't pay for anything else in Juarez, unless they require fingerprints or she needs a waiver, in those cases there are additional fees that I think she'd have to pay at the consulate. Oh, and she'd also have to pay for additional photos, if they reject the ones she takes with her as they do with lots of people :-)

Good Luck!

May 1996: Met in Mexico
K1
March 7th, 2006: Sent 129F to NSC
March 9th, 2006: NOA1 Day 1
June 15th, 2006: Notice of transfer to CSC
October 3rd, 2006: IMBRA RFE e-mail
October 17th, 2006 CSC e-mail confirming RFE receipt.
October 18th, 2006: NOA2!!!!!!!! 224 days!
October 25th, 2006: NVC received file
November 10th, 2006: Received Packet from CDJ
January 5th, 2007: Visa approved!!!! 302 days!
February 16th, 2007: Civil Ceremony
AOS
February 21st, 2007: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago
March 1st, 2007: NOA1 - Day 1
March 26th, 2007: I-485 transferred to CSC - Day 25
March 30th, 2007: Biometrics appointment - Day 29
April 14th, 2007: Big Wedding!!!!
May 8th, 2007: AP Approved - Day 68
May 10th, 2007: EAD Approved- Day 70
September 20th, 2007: SECOND Biometrics appointment - Day 203
December 4th, 2007: AOS approved!!!! 278 days!
December 10th, 2007: Received GC - Day 284
Removal of Conditions
August 31st, 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC
September 2nd, 2009: NOA1 - Day 1
October 15th, 2009: Biometrics appointment - Day 44
October 26th, 2009: 10 year GC approved!! - Day 55
October 31st, 2009: Received GC - Day 60

NATURALIZATION

May 7th, 2013: Mailed N-400

May 9th, 2013: NOA1 - Day 1

June 10th, 2013: Biometrics Appointment - Day 33

September 5th, 2013: Interview - Day

September 27th, 2013: Oath Ceremony- Day

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good point about the NOA2, E&K...I didn't read that closely for dates. But I do know that mine expires July 7, six months after it was issued.

From what I understand, the consulate will extend the validity of the NOA2 if they can't provide an interview before it expires. But since Juarez has open appointments, I'd imagine that you would need to be proactive and request an extension yourself.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Good point about the NOA2, E&K...I didn't read that closely for dates. But I do know that mine expires July 7, six months after it was issued.

From what I understand, the consulate will extend the validity of the NOA2 if they can't provide an interview before it expires. But since Juarez has open appointments, I'd imagine that you would need to be proactive and request an extension yourself.

I called the 1-900 number and they said that the NOA2 is good for up to a year. So, I hope it will be fine.

I don't want to lie about the religious ceremony, but I will tell her not to bring it up unless asked. I thought that I had read on a State Department page that religious ceremonies alone are not considered marriages, and I know this is true in Mexico, but I can't find the page now. Just thinking about having problems at the interview makes me nervous.

I'm from Mass. and she's from Oaxaca, but we're going to be living in Texas. Which leads me to my next question. I have a permanent apartment in one city in Texas, which someone else is subletting for the summer. I will be living and working this summer in another part of Texas and then Philadelphia. Should I list my address as the permanent one, or should I list it as where we will be going to immediately after the interview?

Timeline

Wow, Oaxacachusetts...you confused me with your living situation! :) I was curious because I'm from Mass and live in RI. I know that on the D156 you have to write the address at which she will be living. Whatever you choose, just make sure that you're consistent because I know sometimes they ask the beneficiary where they'll be living.

Was is the 900 # at the Consulate? I know that some of these numbers have outsourced employees and often they don't know what they're talking about, but kitkat knows more about that. I'm sure she'll chime in at some point.

I'd email the Juarez consulate re: the expiration date issue. Sounds like you were given incorrect info. If you look at the NOA2, there's an expiration date on it that is exactly six months from the date that it was issued.

Timeline

Yeah, it's def true that religious ceremonies aren't considered legally binding. No reason to lie, and I understand your reluctance to seem like you are. But just don't give them any reason to question whether the ceremony was an actual marriage!

And just remind your fiancee that if anyone asks her a question regarding her husband, that she NEEDS to correct them and say that your still just her fiance or boyfriend. The innocuous fluidity with which we refer to our partners as spouse/fiance/boyfriend is not so innocuous when dealing with immigration.

Timeline
Yeah, it's def true that religious ceremonies aren't considered legally binding. No reason to lie, and I understand your reluctance to seem like you are. But just don't give them any reason to question whether the ceremony was an actual marriage!

Yeah.

This is from the Consulate's website about the effect of religious vs. civil marriages in Chihuahua.

"Only marriages performed by Civil Registry Officials (not religious officials) are considered legal and valid in Mexico."

The Mexico City Consulate's website says to refer to the protocol of the Registro Civil of the state where the ceremony was performed. In this case, Oaxaca has the same information.

This is the link: ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/wwwhacmarriage.html

Edited by Oaxachusetts

Timeline

We are planning to be there for 3 days: Wed. am through Friday. If everything goes well, this should be enough, right?

Has anyone crossed into El Paso with the visa on foot? Any problems?

I e-mailed the Consulate about what I need to do to extend the petition, but they haven't gotten back to me.

Do they normally respond quickly to such inquiries?

Thanks!

Timeline

Could take until next week for them to respond because of the holiday

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty....html#Extending

Extending the Petition

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval from USCIS. Consular officers can extend the validity of the petition (revalidate the petition) if it expires before the processing of the visa application is completed.

You will be fine on the religious ceremony issue but be careful so they don't misinterpret.

Timeline
My fiance has been calling me his esposa for years (when he's not calling me su vieja) but I trained him like a drill sargeant. Who am I? Mi novia. WHO AM I? MI novia. Repeat, ad nauseum.

Oh you crack me up. I did the same thing (along with drilling him on my birthdate, my family details, my job, when/where we met, blah blah blah). I have said for years that "mi vieja" (sometimes he says "mi vieja fufurufa - have no idea exactly what it means) really bugs me because of how it translates in English. But still, that's what he calls me . . . along with a bunch of other really goofy things.

Timeline

Congratulations Monica. YOU ROCK! Sorry about your mishap and thanks for posting it. It will definitely help others on the Juarez thread.

BTW, Ady and I are now going to Juarez on June 11th. I've been way busy printing tons of stuff out for proof of relationship. I want them to tell us that we brought too much. It sounds like Stephanie is doing the same.

Stephanie, when is Marco (aka Mr. Stephanie) going again?

We are also going to enter through El Paso. I'm very curious about others adventures entering there. Would also like to know when the border opens and how long it will take for her to get through as our flight leaves at 12:30pm.

AOS

7/27/07: Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

7/29/07: Package was delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Day 1)

8/30/07: NOA1 received (I-485, I-765, I-131)(Day 33)

9/4/07: Checks Cleared (Day 38)

10/5/07: Biometrics (Day 69)

10/18/07: AP & EAD Approved (Day 82)

1/9/08: AOS Interview (Day 165)

1/9/08: RFE, need to provide I-693A (Day 165)

2/7/08: I-485 Approved (Day 194)

Congratulations Monica. YOU ROCK! Sorry about your mishap and thanks for posting it. It will definitely help others on the Juarez thread.

BTW, Ady and I are now going to Juarez on June 11th. I've been way busy printing tons of stuff out for proof of relationship. I want them to tell us that we brought too much. It sounds like Stephanie is doing the same.

We are also going to enter through El Paso. I'm very curious about others adventures entering there. Would also like to know when the border opens and how long it will take for her to get through as our flight leaves at 12:30pm.

Thanks for the well wishes! yes, print up everything you own, so they don't question you!

I believe the border is open 24 hours to cross, but you can only cross one particular bridge with the K1 paperwork. I think it was Cordova or something like that? I didn't pay attention to that detail because I knew we'd be flying into the US. They will tell you which bridge you can cross over on.

I hate to say this, but I don't think 12:30 will work, if you're interview is on the same day. Even though we were approved by 10am, we didn't leave the building with the paperwork until 1pm. Thursday wasn't as busy as Wednesday, and on Wednesday, most people were leaving between 3-4pm. Odds are slim that you'll leave the Consulate before noon. Yikes!

Our Story:

Jan 2003 moved to Campeche, met Edgar three weeks later

K-1

Dec 2006 filed I-129f

July 12 WE FINALLY GOT MARRIED!!

AOS/EAD/AP:

July 2007 sent in AOS paperwork

Dec 6 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!

ROC:

Sept 5th 2009 Applied for Removal of Conditions

Sept 14th NOA I-797C

Oct 7th Biometrics Appt

Timeline

YAY Monica!!!

For everyone with interviews coming up, here's my suggestion: Take a complete copy of the original relationship proof that you gathered for the original I-129F. Update it to include any new proof since the date you filed the petition. Also take a small photo album with pictures from the beinning of your relationship to the present. (no metal binders allowed). If the USC is not going to the interview, print and sign a letter that states something to the effect of:

United States Consulate General

Av. Lopez Mateos 924 Nte.

Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

Affidavit from xxx

I, xxx, declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United Status that the forgoing is true and correct.

Dear Consulate Officer:

I am aware that the US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez does not allow fiancés into K1 interviews. For this reason, along with work obligations and financial considerations, I did not accompany my fiancé, xxx to his K1 visa interview. My absence should not in any way be construed as negative or unsupportive of my fiancé.

Signed,

I have read stories of experiences similar to Monica's. It doesn't happen often, but some people in the past were told to return in six months with sufficient evidence. Having all of this information and photos with you will avoid a problem like that (and like Murphy's Law, if you have it all with you, they won't ask to see it!)

Just my two cents.

Timeline
Quick & Safety for family.

Safety for your life and family quick and easy to understand.

http://www.insurancebasis.com

Please stop posting this everywhere - it has nothing to do with Juarez or K1s and has been reported.

Timeline

Mr. Stephanie arrives in Juarez on the evening of the 4th, so I'm assuming he'll have visa in hand by Wednesday, June 6. You guys will just miss each other by a week. And you'll just be a week before GabachaY, too bad. I'm so crazed printing up evidence, besides the 60 something photos (I don't know when all of them were taken, so I just did my best), the hotel bills, the pages of phone bills and emails, the boarding passes, the passport stamps, yesterday I decided it would be a good idea to print up around 200 pages of myspace comments dating back to 2004. Between Marco's posts, the posts asking how mexico is, the posts asking when Marco's coming and the posts askign me when I'm coming home, they had better not give us any grief. I also wrote up a letter similar to Kit Kat's suggestions, which I may edit to look a bit more like hers.

Juarez, look out :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.