waiting4Oliverio

Juarez Consulate

4,122 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've been trying to stay off of Visajourney because the lack of NOA2 has been truly nervewracking, but I can finally say,

yay Juarez here we come!

got it via email today!

I can't wait, and Marco will be here by July's end

ajuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I've been trying to stay off of Visajourney because the lack of NOA2 has been truly nervewracking, but I can finally say,

yay Juarez here we come!

got it via email today!

Congratulations!!!

For those of you asking about AOS fees, it really won't be that bad considering that currently you would have to pay the $325 for AOS and $70 for biometric and $180 for EAD (employment authorization) AND $170 for AP (Travel document) = $745. That is the total you would be looking at right now. Many of you ask whether it is worth it to apply for EAD and AP, ABSOLUTELY! There can be many delays during AOS. You are better off with a little insurance. The new goes up to $900. It is not that big of a hike compared to other classifications. Good luck to all!

US Entry : 2006-11-27

Marriage : 2006-12

AOS : Submitted on 1-29-07

NOA1: 2-5-07

BIOMETRICS: 2-21-07

AOS Interview: Decision Pending :( FBI Name Check not completed

Email welcoming New Resident on 5/22/07.

Approval Notice email: 5/31/2007

CARD IN HAND 6/01/2007

Removal of Conditions now in progress

Mailed: 3-4-09

USCIS received: 3-6-09

NOA1: 3-9-09

Biometrics: letter arrived 3-18-09, scheduled 3-28-09

Approved on: 05-04-2009

Approval letter arrives: 05-09-09

waiting on green card...

card production email: 06/19/2009

CARD IN HAND: 07/02/2009

Timeline

yay Juarez here we come!

got it via email today!

Ha, I told you that you'd get it today! Congrats!!!! I guess you and Marco will be celebrating today?

AOS

7/27/07: Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

7/29/07: Package was delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Day 1)

8/30/07: NOA1 received (I-485, I-765, I-131)(Day 33)

9/4/07: Checks Cleared (Day 38)

10/5/07: Biometrics (Day 69)

10/18/07: AP & EAD Approved (Day 82)

1/9/08: AOS Interview (Day 165)

1/9/08: RFE, need to provide I-693A (Day 165)

2/7/08: I-485 Approved (Day 194)

Timeline

Ha, I told you that you'd get it today! Congrats!!!! I guess you and Marco will be celebrating today?

that's the understatement of the year :dance:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

yay Juarez here we come!

got it via email today!

Well, allright! Congratulations TJH!

Vismaster, I know it isn`t exactly easy to go through the K visa deal either. It`s just that we caused ourselves a lot of extra problems by doing it the way we did. My wife would have been granted a K-1 with no problems- instead, we wasted a year and a half chasing a dead-end, then had to deal with illegal presence and were separated for over a year while we sweat and worried about whether or not our waiver was going to be approved. Any rate, it`s all taken care of now.

For those who are worried about the language issue for your AOS interviews, I can tell you how it went at our local office. My wife`s English was very limited at that time, but we decided to go without an interpreter anyway. In our case, the interviewing officer was very understanding and allowed me to help her from time to time (we were interviewed together). Even though I wasn`t supposed to help, he understood enough Spanish to know that I wasn`t coaching her answers, just explaining the questions. Actually, I did most of that in English by using vocabulary that I knew she was familiar with and speaking clearly. Hopefully you`ll get understanding officers too.

Timeline

yay Juarez here we come!

got it via email today!

Well, allright! Congratulations TJH!

Vismaster, I know it isn`t exactly easy to go through the K visa deal either. It`s just that we caused ourselves a lot of extra problems by doing it the way we did. My wife would have been granted a K-1 with no problems- instead, we wasted a year and a half chasing a dead-end, then had to deal with illegal presence and were separated for over a year while we sweat and worried about whether or not our waiver was going to be approved. Any rate, it`s all taken care of now.

For those who are worried about the language issue for your AOS interviews, I can tell you how it went at our local office. My wife`s English was very limited at that time, but we decided to go without an interpreter anyway. In our case, the interviewing officer was very understanding and allowed me to help her from time to time (we were interviewed together). Even though I wasn`t supposed to help, he understood enough Spanish to know that I wasn`t coaching her answers, just explaining the questions. Actually, I did most of that in English by using vocabulary that I knew she was familiar with and speaking clearly. Hopefully you`ll get understanding officers too.

Thanks for information. I don't think we'll need an interpreter because the CO will definately be bilingual, but I'll check into it. I'm more worried about them denying us based on communication issues. We do fine, but someone else might not agree. Know what I mean?

Which reminds me: I was reading some posts on another forum and some K-1 filers are getting their AOS without interviews! They don't know why though.... All of them are through CSC. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones! lol

Edited by vismaster

Timeline
For those of you asking about AOS fees, it really won't be that bad considering that currently you would have to pay the $325 for AOS and $70 for biometric and $180 for EAD (employment authorization) AND $170 for AP (Travel document) = $745. That is the total you would be looking at right now. Many of you ask whether it is worth it to apply for EAD and AP, ABSOLUTELY! There can be many delays during AOS. You are better off with a little insurance. The new goes up to $900. It is not that big of a hike compared to other classifications. Good luck to all!

But the new fee is not including all the extras that you mentioned, so it would be even more money!!!! Good grief! I had not even thought about the extra stuff we would need to file for. I didn't think I would need AP and EAD. I guess I will. I have a stupid question. What is the biometrics?

Timeline

But the new fee is not including all the extras that you mentioned, so it would be even more money!!!! Good grief! I had not even thought about the extra stuff we would need to file for. I didn't think I would need AP and EAD. I guess I will. I have a stupid question. What is the biometrics?

the new fee DOES include work permit and advanced parole. Read over the disclosure that the USCIS published, it's all in there.

Timeline

Well, if you look at it that way, it might behoove us to wait until the increase...but then again, I know that the EAD has been taking a few months.

I guess I can't think about that now...should probably get us tickets to Juarez before I start thinking about the steps here in Providence!

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Timeline

I'm about to buy tickets to Juarez, but have a question about my charging his ticket from here with my credit card. I've read that some people have had problems at the ticket counter when checking in because they've been asked for the credit card and of course it has a different name.

Have any of you bought tickets for your SO from the States for them to use to fly within Mexico? Did it go well or badly?

I talked to a rep at Aeromexico, and he said it'd be okay, but I still want to check with people who have done this.

Timeline

Good question! I only checked with Continental Airlines for the flight from El Paso to San Francisco because I'm using a travel voucher that's in my name (Yeah, I know I'm risking it here, but travel prices were fluctuating so much, especially with Continental, so I wanted to take advantage of a good fare). I didn't check with AeroMexico though for his domestic flight. I think airlines use the credit card to find the reservation, but they can also do that with the name, passport, reservation number, etc. If you need to change the flight and have a penalty to pay, then you can do that over the phone.

We'll keep you posted since our interview is in 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline
I'm about to buy tickets to Juarez, but have a question about my charging his ticket from here with my credit card. I've read that some people have had problems at the ticket counter when checking in because they've been asked for the credit card and of course it has a different name.

Have any of you bought tickets for your SO from the States for them to use to fly within Mexico? Did it go well or badly?

I talked to a rep at Aeromexico, and he said it'd be okay, but I still want to check with people who have done this.

I've also purchased the tickets in the US with my credit card for tickets in his name. Never had a problem although he does have the same credit card in his own name as I added him as an authorized user for exactly these kinds of potential problems.

Timeline

I think he's going Interjet, so it seems it might be safer for him to go to the local office in Cancun. Ironicallu, a friend was looking for a way to get me payment for a freelance job I did for him without using Western Union. Looks like I found the way!

I have NEVER been asked to produce my credit card when checking in...they've always used my name only. Of course, this would be the one case where they decide it's imperative to see the credit card and want it to match!

Like Gabacha mentioned, the new fee does include AP and EAD. It also includes any renewal fees if needed. Biometrics is the fee they charge for the first appointment (fingerprints and pictures). They will NOT process anything until Biometrics are done. This is normally done at a local office (separate from where AOS interview will be). This where they compare fingerprints looking for a potential criminal past. They also do the ever-popular FBI namecheck. This is where a hangup can take place. Some wait for weeks, months and years and there is nothing that can be done to speed that up. You may or may not have an interview. It will depend where you live and how busy your local office is. Even if you don't receive an interview you may be stuck in namecheck. It is better to pay for the added insurance just in case. ;)

US Entry : 2006-11-27

Marriage : 2006-12

AOS : Submitted on 1-29-07

NOA1: 2-5-07

BIOMETRICS: 2-21-07

AOS Interview: Decision Pending :( FBI Name Check not completed

Email welcoming New Resident on 5/22/07.

Approval Notice email: 5/31/2007

CARD IN HAND 6/01/2007

Removal of Conditions now in progress

Mailed: 3-4-09

USCIS received: 3-6-09

NOA1: 3-9-09

Biometrics: letter arrived 3-18-09, scheduled 3-28-09

Approved on: 05-04-2009

Approval letter arrives: 05-09-09

waiting on green card...

card production email: 06/19/2009

CARD IN HAND: 07/02/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.