Nigerian Queen

filing a petition

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you are planning several visits why marry on the first. It greatly increases your chances of denial. You can go, meet him and the family, get some photos, exchange some gifts, have uniforms made. Come back and then marry on a second visit. It is the first visit marriage that is one of the big red flags for Lagos.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I generally do not post often here because of the amount of attacks one receives for giving their opinion but I figured I'd stick my neck out for you just to share MY experience which then influences my opinion. My husband and I were married during my first visit. I returned home, front loaded my I-130 and sent in the petition. I visited him three more times after submitting my petition, sent more evidence during the NVC stage of my visits after our wedding and guess what? My husband has been home with me for the past seven months. My opinion is if you are intending on visiting him after your initial visit while the petition is being processed you should be fine. My advice is to front load you petition and send whatever evidence you have at the NVC stage and it should go a long way. I pray you have a blessed and wonderful wedding, God bless you in your future endeavors.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Africa: Sub-Saharan regional forum; topic is specific to Nigeria.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

I would like to suggest which we didnt know at first but try and use rebtel as your international calling, you can actually print out your phones calls from them. Its great to have for the interview when you get to that phase. God Bless you on your journey

Brenda

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Marrying on the first trip is not advisable for the mere fact that Lagos routinely makes up their mind to approve or deny before seeing the beneficiary at the interview based on the evidence provided with the petition and application.

So, even if you visit several more times while the petition is pending, ask yourself how much more evidence you can submit before the interview.

I have read numerous times that the CO did not even look at all the evidence (chats, visits, etc.) submitted at the interview and even with multiple

visits denied the visa in the first 5 minutes.

I also know that a few ( one personally ) made it through with one visit, marrying on the first and then filing without any further visits but that is a gamble and a risk you take and the consequences could be long AP or a refusal.

Having a formal introduction and engagement on the first trip with family trumps marrying on the first trip in my opinion.

You will need itemized phone records showing the name/date/length of each phone call. There are other calling cards out there.

In addition to Rebtel, there is Rynga ( also showing his itemized calls to your phone number ) Pingo.com, Tel3Advantage, Noble.com etc.etc.

I wish you the best and a successful visa journey whatever you may decide.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Thanks for your comment, but unfortunately the above response is way off from the question.

If you had read my comment in the content it was intended. The person asked

"Can you please tell me how you know this? Who have you heard this from?"

But she answered the question very well.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

I generally do not post often here because of the amount of attacks one receives for giving their opinion but I figured I'd stick my neck out for you just to share MY experience which then influences my opinion. My husband and I were married during my first visit. I returned home, front loaded my I-130 and sent in the petition. I visited him three more times after submitting my petition, sent more evidence during the NVC stage of my visits after our wedding and guess what? My husband has been home with me for the past seven months. My opinion is if you are intending on visiting him after your initial visit while the petition is being processed you should be fine. My advice is to front load you petition and send whatever evidence you have at the NVC stage and it should go a long way. I pray you have a blessed and wonderful wedding, God bless you in your future endeavors.

Thanks sis. That's wat I wanted to hear. I want to get input from someone who had actually gone through the process already thank you.

Timeline

I would like to suggest which we didnt know at first but try and use rebtel as your international calling, you can actually print out your phones calls from them. Its great to have for the interview when you get to that phase. God Bless you on your journey

Brenda

Thank you. How do you go about setting up an account?

Timeline

Hi all. I'm going to naigi to Wed my Nigerian fiance. I would like to know how soon could one file a petition after marriage without getting a possible red flag. Bcz I will be meeting him for the first time as well as marrying him.I was thinking to file the petition after my second visit. So Wadda you guys think about that? Or what do you think us best?

There are no set rules for Lagos. What worked for one couple, may not for another. Some have made several trips before marriage/filing and were denied, while others married on the first trip and filed right away and got approved. You have to do what you feel is best for you and your fiance`. As I can only speak for us and our experience as my husband and I married on the first trip (7/2008), and unfortunately I haven't been back since due to finances. In the same instance, it also took me almost 2 years to finally start the process (again due to finances). There were plenty of red flags (age difference for one, not returning to Nigeria came up briefly). I can only contribute our Visa approval the first time out to God. I did front load the I-130 with EVERYTHING we had.

God bless on your journey!

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

How long have you been talking with him online/on the phone before going there? How long do you plan on staying when you go to visit? Are there any other things that they would consider "red flags"? Going to meet him for the first time and marrying him during the same visit is not the only thing they will look at. It is just a small part of the big picture. There will be at least a year to wait during the petitioning process before the interview, so you could plan another visit in that time period. And then evidence of that can be presented at the time of the interview. Best of luck and have a great trip to Nigeria!

:thumbs: Good advice ibogal

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Timeline

There are no set rules for Lagos. What worked for one couple, may not for another. Some have made several trips before marriage/filing and were denied, while others married on the first trip and filed right away and got approved. You have to do what you feel is best for you and your fiance`. As I can only speak for us and our experience as my husband and I married on the first trip (7/2008), and unfortunately I haven't been back since due to finances. In the same instance, it also took me almost 2 years to finally start the process (again due to finances). There were plenty of red flags (age difference for one, not returning to Nigeria came up briefly). I can only contribute our Visa approval the first time out to God. I did front load the I-130 with EVERYTHING we had.

God bless on your journey!

Edited by Nigerian Queen

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm a little late in reading this, but here goes. I met my husband online chatted for a very short time. Went to Nigeria and we got married on my first trip (we didn't know anything about VJ, the embassy, blah blah...we did what was in our hearts to do.) I spent 16 days during that trip. I filed my petition less than 2 weeks after I got back,and I only put what the instructions requested (some pics, copy of marriage license, the initial filing paperwork, passport copy, passport pics, and I got 2 affidavits *his father and his cousin*). I found VJ about 6 days into filing. I promised my husband before I left that I would be back so I returned for exactly 1 week during Christmas (I spent 23 days total). At NVC stage, I sent additional evidences. Hubby got approved and has been here a little over 2 months.

Nay sayers are good. Prove them wrong.

Edited by Olomi_811

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.