rocket34

what should my gf tell port of entry officer reason of stay?

31 posts in this topic

I'll chime in as you're mentioning 90 days which leads me to believe she used Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for previous entries. If she is indeed from VWP country and she applies for B2 visa, be aware that in most cases it will be denied and after that she'll have to update ESTA with the denial which will make it denied as well for probably 6+ months.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Figure out what you really want to do and do it, find the correct entry method and tell the truth.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Hello all. My girlfriend will be visiting me on a tourist visa in a few months. We plan to get married one day but not at the moment.

Simple question. What should she tell the custom officer (when she arrives in US) for reason of stay? We want her to stay for 6 months and have I-94 form reflect that. Could she just say she's here to learn as a student and use my address? (last time she visited me she stayed for 3 months, used my address, and said the same reason). If not, what are some other reasons? Thanks in advance.

Rule 1: Always tell the truth to a direct specific question.

Rule 2: No need to volunteer any info not directly asked for.

I wouldn't be asking for '6 month' of stay, that would be the first clue for the CBP to ask more. Let them decide the length and then stick to it; which implies -very important- that you two have already decided and accept to stick to whatever length is given. If asked directly how many weeks she would like to stay -and given above acceptance-, 'a few weeks' would be acceptable.

Now, there is no real way to go around the 'reason of visit' other than staying/visit with boyfriend and that poses a direct potential for intent to stay in the eyes of CBP. One way that could help to show that is not the case is to pack lightly. For example, a single carry on and maybe a small checked-in piece. That again goes to already accepting that it could be a relatively short stay. If you bring the house (in the hopes that you would get max stay), it can bite back. Any documentation that she is expected back certainly helps.

As others have said, you don't want to lie, and at same time you want to tell truth but in a way that does not trigger a CBP to react excessively.

Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:thumbs:

Figure out what you really want to do and do it, find the correct entry method and tell the truth.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

i would be prepared for the six months not being a realiry. most likely they will only give 90 days om a tourist visa. and also how much and what type of school can someone do in three months??? Think about it, they arent dumb, they see this stuff everyday. Just tell the truth and see what happens in my opinion. best of luck to you,

Thanks KMarion. I shall prep it being 3 months.

I'll chime in as you're mentioning 90 days which leads me to believe she used Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for previous entries. If she is indeed from VWP country and she applies for B2 visa, be aware that in most cases it will be denied and after that she'll have to update ESTA with the denial which will make it denied as well for probably 6+ months.

Nope. She's not from the countries that are on the Visa Waiver Program. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

LOL, have I not been clear enough? Apparently, telling the truth and 3 months is what we'll get. I'll assume 6 months is a pipe dream at this point.

Cheers Gosia & Tito, much appreciated.

I didn't get that impression from that. Think he just meant to visit boyfriend not that full intention.

The standard entry stamp on a visitors visa id 6 months... Tell the truth and then answer their questions as they ask them.. We did 4 trips for Pla to visit here all different lengths of stay, everytime they stamped 6 months in her passport... They always asked her why she was coming and she always told them to visit her fiance and see America.. Worked out well for us... She should be fine as she has already shown, that she will return after her stay with her pat trip... I think you should be good to go!!! Have a nice visit!!!

Steve

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The standard entry stamp on a visitors visa id 6 months... Tell the truth and then answer their questions as they ask them.. We did 4 trips for Pla to visit here all different lengths of stay, everytime they stamped 6 months in her passport... They always asked her why she was coming and she always told them to visit her fiance and see America.. Worked out well for us... She should be fine as she has already shown, that she will return after her stay with her pat trip... I think you should be good to go!!! Have a nice visit!!!

Steve

Thank you Steve. Now that I think back, she did have her passport stamped for 6 month however she only stayed for 3 months. Btw, I miss Thailand!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Rule 1: Always tell the truth to a direct specific question.

Rule 2: No need to volunteer any info not directly asked for.

I wouldn't be asking for '6 month' of stay, that would be the first clue for the CBP to ask more. Let them decide the length and then stick to it; which implies -very important- that you two have already decided and accept to stick to whatever length is given. If asked directly how many weeks she would like to stay -and given above acceptance-, 'a few weeks' would be acceptable.

Now, there is no real way to go around the 'reason of visit' other than staying/visit with boyfriend and that poses a direct potential for intent to stay in the eyes of CBP. One way that could help to show that is not the case is to pack lightly. For example, a single carry on and maybe a small checked-in piece. That again goes to already accepting that it could be a relatively short stay. If you bring the house (in the hopes that you would get max stay), it can bite back. Any documentation that she is expected back certainly helps.

As others have said, you don't want to lie, and at same time you want to tell truth but in a way that does not trigger a CBP to react excessively.

Good luck

The admitting officer will never know how much checked luggage she has won't she be admitted prior to collecting the luggage?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for making a personal attack on another member. another post removed for quoting that attack.

offending member thread banned and additional admin action taken.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The admitting officer will never know how much checked luggage she has won't she be admitted prior to collecting the luggage?

No, but if she's pulled into secondary they will bring her luggage to her and go through it. If she has a ton and it looks like she's planning a massive (or permanent) stay, that may work against her. Back when we were dating and long before we knew about this website, my husband and I flew together from England back to Cleveland (at the time, there was still a direct flight from May-September). He said he was there with his girlfriend, they pulled him into secondary, and he was put through the proverbial wringer. They went through all of his luggage piece by piece, poring over every little bit (including old bus tickets in his wallet). It was crazy. So yeah, the initial officer won't know her luggage situation, but if she is found to merit additional scrutiny it will come into play.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No, but if she's pulled into secondary they will bring her luggage to her and go through it. If she has a ton and it looks like she's planning a massive (or permanent) stay, that may work against her. Back when we were dating and long before we knew about this website, my husband and I flew together from England back to Cleveland (at the time, there was still a direct flight from May-September). He said he was there with his girlfriend, they pulled him into secondary, and he was put through the proverbial wringer. They went through all of his luggage piece by piece, poring over every little bit (including old bus tickets in his wallet). It was crazy. So yeah, the initial officer won't know her luggage situation, but if she is found to merit additional scrutiny it will come into play.

I would guess that she would have bigger problems than how many pieces of luggage she has if she is pulled into secondary.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Well I think you should be honest as everyone here states, however don't offer more information than what is asked of her. What are your plans?!? To travel, see things, etc? Just don't blurt out "I'm here to see my boyfriend".. Unless asked why offer? And my fiancé came here on a B2 three separate occasions. He was given 6 months on each and never really any hassle.. It can and does happen. Try not to stress since you are following the right channels. Some folks try and be very negative as I have experienced in here regarding visiting..

~OUR STORY~

4/2012: Met online and began this cRaZY journey

9/2/2011: He proposed and I said YES!!After multiple trips back and forth.....

7/4/2012: He entered USA at LAX on B2 to visit 6 months

8/8/2012: We got married!!8/8/2012: AOS packet sent (Day 0)

8/10/2012: Packet signed for at 11:48a (Day 2)

8/14/2012: We got our txt/email notifications (all 4) (Day 6)

8/16/2012: Checks cashed.. (Day 8)

8/23/2012: Biometrics letter received via "snail mail" today.. September 7th at 12p in Sacramento CA (Day 15)

8/27/2012: Finally received all 4 NOA1 hard copies via US mail (Day 19)

9/7/2012: Biometrics completed!! (Day 30)

9/19/2012: Received txt message for interview!! October 22nd, 2012.. (Day 42)

9/21/2012: And the interview letter comes in snail mail.. October 22nd, 2pm in Sacramento..Time to get the final stuff together.. (Day 44)

10/16/3012: Received txt msg, EAD is approved and card being mailed. Right before interview and not really needed anyhow!! (Day 69)

10/19/2012: After a bunch of repetitive text messages, my husband received his combo card EAD/AP.. Of course four days before our interview!! (Day 72)

10/22/2012: Interview.. APPROVED!! (Day 75) Next journey ROC!!

10/29/2012: Green Card received in US mail... (Day 82) WOO HOO!!

~ROC BEGINS!!~

08/25/2014: Lifting Conditions Packet Mailed to CA service center (Day 0)

08/27/2014: NOA1 Receipt (Day 2)

09/05/2014: Biometrics letter received via "snail mail" Set for September 15th at 10a in Sacramento CA (Day 11)

09/15/2014: Biometric completed... now we wait!! (Day 21)

11/21/2014: Card/Document Production email received!! (Day 88)

12/01/2014: Card arrives in our mailbox.. this chapter is over... (Day 98) Next is citizenship!!

I would guess that she would have bigger problems than how many pieces of luggage she has if she is pulled into secondary.

Actually, I know a surprising number of people who were pulled into secondary but still made it into the States. They were questioned and their luggage examined, but other than that they didn't have problems. So having a reasonable amount of luggage can help you get through secondary inspection with a minimum of hassle and stress.

A secondary inspection could reveal that (luggage) easily; even carry on is revealing, for example, someone intending to stay would carry documents and such that would help in that stay, regular travelers would not; but more than anything, inspectors are trained to detect suspicious behaviour and would then ask questions to ascertain inconsistencies. Not a good idea to try to outsmart them. Tey will not catch everyone, but if you are the one catched, expect penalties. I refer back to Rule 1 and 2; always the best policy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.