rocket34

what should my gf tell port of entry officer reason of stay?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello all. My girlfriend will be visiting me on a tourist visa in a few months. We plan to get married one day but not at the moment.

Simple question. What should she tell the custom officer (when she arrives in US) for reason of stay? We want her to stay for 6 months and have I-94 form reflect that. Could she just say she's here to learn as a student and use my address? (last time she visited me she stayed for 3 months, used my address, and said the same reason). If not, what are some other reasons? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm a big fan of speaking the truth...

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Timeline

Forgive if I sound ignorant but is this true - she can say she is visiting her boyfriend without hassle?

I've read numerous articles saying individuals should not get married on a tourist visa. Not that we'll get married but we just want to minimize scrutiny from the customs officer.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Forgive if I sound ignorant but is this true - she can say she is visiting her boyfriend without hassle?

I've read numerous articles saying individuals should not get married on a tourist visa. Not that we'll get married but we just want to minimize scrutiny from the customs officer.

It appears that you are already conceding that you will be scrutinized. She visited before without a hassle. What makes you think now that there is going to be a hassle?

The bottom line is why wouldn't you advocate speaking the truth like any other person visiting the US?

Yes, CBP will not allow entry into the US if they suspect an intent to immigrate without the proper Visas in hand. But if you are not trying anything, you have nothing to fear. Furthermore, if one intentionally deceives the CBP there could be serious ramifications to incur.

You guys CAN get married here on a tourist visa, but she still will have to leave and go back to her country to start the Visa process. The problem occurs when people try to get around the lengthy visa process. We all hate the time we have to spend apart. We all hate how long it takes. But, everyone here has gone through it.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

It appears that you are already conceding that you will be scrutinized. She visited before without a hassle. What makes you think now that there is going to be a hassle?

The bottom line is why wouldn't you advocate speaking the truth like any other person visiting the US?

Yes, CBP will not allow entry into the US if they suspect an intent to immigrate without the proper Visas in hand. But if you are not trying anything, you have nothing to fear. Furthermore, if one intentionally deceives the CBP there could be serious ramifications to incur.

You guys CAN get married here on a tourist visa, but she still will have to leave and go back to her country to start the Visa process. The problem occurs when people try to get around the lengthy visa process. We all hate the time we have to spend apart. We all hate how long it takes. But, everyone here has gone through it.

John&Mari - Thanks, I appreciate the response. Not conceding but just being curious and careful (due to ignorance) for my gf's sake since she wanted to know if staying in the US for 6 months (vs 3 months) will require her to change her reason. I told her that she could still say she's here for school but now I'll tell her that she's visiting a boyfriend. =) I suppose there's no harm in that as we're not breaking any rules. We just don't want to unknowingly break any laws.

PS - I'm aware that we could get married on her tourist visa but I'm thinking K1 Visa route if all goes well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I am a bit surprised how she got through the last time saying she is here to 'learn as a student' on a tourist visa.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

I am a bit surprised how she got through the last time saying she is here to 'learn as a student' on a tourist visa.

Let me rephrase as in "she took some classes". There are community colleges and such that offer short courses of study for 2, 4, and 12 week courses of less than 18 hours per week. You can do this on a visitor visa and that was our original intent.

Timeline

John&Mari - Thanks, I appreciate the response. Not conceding but just being curious and careful (due to ignorance) for my gf's sake since she wanted to know if staying in the US for 6 months (vs 3 months) will require her to change her reason. I told her that she could still say she's here for school but now I'll tell her that she's visiting a boyfriend. =) I suppose there's no harm in that as we're not breaking any rules. We just don't want to unknowingly break any laws.

PS - I'm aware that we could get married on her tourist visa but I'm thinking K1 Visa route if all goes well.

No worries. But, as far as 6 months visitation goes, it is up to the determination of the inspecting officer to determine how long she can stay. It is not guaranteed. She will have to show extensive ties back to her home. In very simplistic terms, she has to prove to the CBP that she is planning on returning home.

Enjoy your visit together. Make your plans on what you want to do for the future. But don't try to deceive the CBP officer, it will not turn out good.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

No worries. But, as far as 6 months visitation goes, it is up to the determination of the inspecting officer to determine how long she can stay. It is not guaranteed. She will have to show extensive ties back to her home. In very simplistic terms, she has to prove to the CBP that she is planning on returning home.

Enjoy your visit together. Make your plans on what you want to do for the future. But don't try to deceive the CBP officer, it will not turn out good.

Ding, ding, ding. This is why I posted the question. We want the full 6 month visitation. So, she needs to bring documentation with her when meeting with the CBP officer? What artifacts or things she needs to "show" to prove her ties back at home? Now I'm thinking if her saying she's here to take courses would be a better idea to avoid the hassle I was talking about!!

Timeline

Ding, ding, ding. This is why I posted the question. We want the full 6 month visitation. So, she needs to bring documentation with her when meeting with the CBP officer? What artifacts or things she needs to "show" to prove her ties back at home? Now I'm thinking if her saying she's here to take courses would be a better idea to avoid the hassle I was talking about!!

No Rocket. You can not get around the hassles. They are there for a reason. If she is going to take a class for that long, she would need a F1 visa. No one comes on a tourist visa to take a short "cooking class". That would be highly suspect-able. Especially for 6 months. Well if they do, they would have full documentation of the classes, fees paid, etc....

Also, you can not be guaranteed the full months. No one here can. That is up to the admitting officer based on their determination on that day.

The answer to your question here on VJ is, "Your GF should tell the truth for her reason of stay". It is up to the CBP officer to admit her, or not. Anything short of that would be ill-advised. If someone is caught lying to a CBP officer for reasons to gain admission into the US, they can be banned for life. I apologize for the roughness of the answer, but it is just the way it is.

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

No Rocket. You can not get around the hassles. They are there for a reason. If she is going to take a class for that long, she would need a F1 visa. No one comes on a tourist visa to take a short "cooking class". That would be highly suspect-able. Especially for 6 months. Well if they do, they would have full documentation of the classes, fees paid, etc....

Also, you can not be guaranteed the full months. No one here can. That is up to the admitting officer based on their determination on that day.

The answer to your question here on VJ is, "Your GF should tell the truth for her reason of stay". It is up to the CBP officer to admit her, or not. Anything short of that would be ill-advised. If someone is caught lying to a CBP officer for reasons to gain admission into the US, they can be banned for life. I apologize for the roughness of the answer, but it is just the way it is.

No roughness taken! I wonder then in most cases are visitors granted 3 or 6 month stays? It seems a bit pointless to be in the hands of the CBP officer and he/she can determine the stay. I'll tell the gf to be honest, say 6 months and to see boyfriend and go from there. Dumbfounded.

Could she enter for 90 days and then apply for an extension?

Am interested, how would that work?

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

She should just be prepared to show ties to her country (as well as telling the truth). Lease/rent agreement for a flat, letter from her employer stating that she is being granted leave but will return to her job, etc. But it's a bad idea to lie to the CBP officer. Ever.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

i would be prepared for the six months not being a realiry. most likely they will only give 90 days om a tourist visa. and also how much and what type of school can someone do in three months??? Think about it, they arent dumb, they see this stuff everyday. Just tell the truth and see what happens in my opinion. best of luck to you,

Marriage (if applicable):2010-12-18

I-130 Sent : 2011-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-10-18

I-130 RFE : N/A

I-130 RFE Sent : N/A

I-130 Approved : 2012-04-02

NVC

04/23/2012 - NVC Received

05/03/2012 - Case# generated

05/04/2012 - DS-3032 (COA) ( Email sent

05/07/2012 - I-864 - AOS Fee $88*2

05/09/2012 - DS-230 - IV Fee $230*2

06/15/2012 - Case Completed

07/06/2012 - Forwarded to the Consulate

Consulate

08/13/2012 - Medical

08/15/2012 - Interview

01/23/2013 - POE

02/19/2013 - 10 yr green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.