jeffandmariya

Employment Authorization Problem

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I'm in the process of AOS and I got my Employment Authorization Card in March. Since May I got a job and everything was ok. This week I got another job and today my employer told me that she checked thru the uscis system and it came up that I'm not legal to work in the U.S. She gave me a piece of paper that explains the possible reasons for that but I forgot it in the office.

On my SSC I have my maiden name. Could it be the reason? My previous employer said that it is not a problem tough bc the SSN is going to be the same even on my new SSC.

I just called USCIS and they were unhelpful (nicely said) and they told me that I'mlegal to work in the U.S.

I'm really stressed now because this job is really important to me and don't know what to do. I need to get that figured out as soon as possible bc I already started the job. I will appreciate any advices and experience that you guys share.

I have not heard of USCIS having a system to show employers you are eligible to work. That is the whole purpose of the card, to prove that you are legal to work. If you have the EAD card then you are legal to work, unless somehow your AOS has been denied. But you should know if it was. I think your employer is probably looking at Social Security and your card would show only eligible to work with permission. The EAD is your permission.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

Yes, I know and I didn't have a problem before. My AOS is not denied, I just called them and my card actually says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". What is a DHS?

And they have a procedure to check thru USCIS. Look it up http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Department of Homeland Security

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Your EAD is in maiden name, so is your SSN?

I'm guessing the print out was along the lines of this:

"In some cases, the information from an employee's Form I-9 does not match government records and E-Verify will display a temporary case status that may require additional action. In these cases, E-Verify will return a response called a "Tentative Nonconfirmation (TNC)." A TNC response means that the Social Security Administration (SSA) and/or the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) could not confirm that the employee's information matches government records. It does not mean an employee is unauthorized to work or is an illegal immigrant as there are legitimate reasons why an employee may receive this result.

There are several types of TNCs, and the type displayed in E-Verify depends on which government agency is involved and the cause for the mismatch:

SSA Tentative Nonconfirmation: This response indicates that the employee's information could not be verified by SSA. The employee must be notified of the TNC response and referred to SSA.

DHS Tentative Nonconfirmation: There are two types of "DHS TNCs." The first type means that DHS was unable to verify employment eligibility and the employee is instructed to call DHS to find out how to resolve the discrepancy.

The second type is caused by a photographic mismatch, meaning the employer indicated that the photograph displayed by E-Verify did not match the photograph on the employee's document. If the employee contests this type of TNC, the employer must either scan and upload an image of the document or send a copy of the document via express mail at the employer's expense."

(http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8fdbfb41c8596210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8fdbfb41c8596210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD)

There's some more suggestions on http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ffbdecc1b0418310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ffbdecc1b0418310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

...I'm only asking because one of the things you can't possibly know is the one suggestion "Your name, A-number, and/or I-94 number was recorded incorrectly in DHS records". That happened to me - my last name was mispelled when they entered it into their database and they advised me to always check and double check anything in my name. Have you tried doing the self-check on E-verify and see what comes up?

Edited by moomin

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

E-Verify!

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline

You may want to utilize the Self Check e-Verify on the USCIS site to see what comes back using your information.

In the Search field just enter Self Check and then you can check your employment eligibility.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=2ec07cd67450d210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2ec07cd67450d210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Timeline

Thank you guys for the responses!

As moomin guessed the problem was that my name didn't match my SSN bc I have my maiden name on the SSC and my married name on my Employment authorization card. I know that it doesn't mean that I'm not legal but there are not too many foreigners around and they probably never had to go thru something like that.

I went to the SSO yesterday and took my marriage license there so I will have my new SSC in a month. But they are still worried and don't know what to do.

I called DHS and they told me that I am legal to work and if I get my hours cut or get fired I can call them back. But

I don't want to get the company in trouble. It is going to be hell to work there after that anyway + I have a family member who works for them and I don't want to cause her trouble either.

I just hate all the sh** that I have to go thru just because I'm not American. Instead of thinking how to do good on my new job I have to stress over a stupid number and feel like a criminal. I never done something illegal. Sometimes I just want to leave. :(

Timeline

Take a deep breath and contact your job again to explain the situation with maiden vs. married name and that you are eligible to work but your last name is being updated so SSN will match EAD. You're still eligible to work, it just takes a bit longer to verify that you are.

I am sorry you're stressing over this. Luckily it's an issue that won't happen again, and was an easy fix. It's not easy starting out. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet and proving at your work that it was worth the wait.

:)

As moomin guessed the problem was that my name didn't match my SSN bc I have my maiden name on the SSC and my married name on my Employment authorization card. I know that it doesn't mean that I'm not legal but there are not too many foreigners around and they probably never had to go thru something like that.

I went to the SSO yesterday and took my marriage license there so I will have my new SSC in a month. But they are still worried and don't know what to do.

I called DHS and they told me that I am legal to work and if I get my hours cut or get fired I can call them back. But

I don't want to get the company in trouble. It is going to be hell to work there after that anyway + I have a family member who works for them and I don't want to cause her trouble either.

I just hate all the sh** that I have to go thru just because I'm not American. Instead of thinking how to do good on my new job I have to stress over a stupid number and feel like a criminal. I never done something illegal. Sometimes I just want to leave. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You've been to the SSA to get your SSN name change. You DO NOT need to wait for the actual card. You should have received verification that you'd applied for an update. I would suggest to your employer that the run e-verify again in a week to give the SSA time to update your name (though I believe it should be quicker than that).

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I know this post is 1 year old but I have the same problem. I updated my SSN info (my name) after I got the job and handed over my job info, in fact we went right after to change my name and they called me from my new job and said my SSN info (name) doesn't match my married name. Sigh.. now I have to go again in the ssn office and hand them over a document from work.

Our K-1 journey * I am the beneficiary *

08/03/2012 sent I-129F

06/27/2013 Interview at Frankfurt Consulate = Approved.

08/09/2013 Wedding!

AOS

09/03/2013 Sent AOS + EAD + AP

12/30/2013 PR card in hand.

ROC

09/29/2015 Sent I-751

10/30/15 Biometrics

05/19/16 Approved

N-400

10/04/2016 Send Package

10/15/2016 NOA

11/04/2016 Biometrics

02/01/2017 Interview

02/23/2017 Oath!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.