drm28922

Brazil Police Records

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

MY case is currently at the NVC and I was wondering what the is the best way to get Police records form Brazil. I know there is an online form that you can fill out. Is this acceptable? Or should I send my wife to the Federal Police to obtain a copy in person? Thank You

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

In brazil there are 2 types of police records, there is the local/city one and the national/federal one. My fiancee was told to go in person to get them, but its not a same day thing, you would have to go back for them when they are done, or have them mailed.

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Timeline

Yes, I just called the NVC today and they said there are two Police Certificates from Brazil. One is a certificate of Good Conduct from the Civil Police. The other is a criminal record from the Federal Police. So essentially one from the state and one from the federal government. I was told the internet form is not official enough and that you need to go in person to pick them up....

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, I just called the NVC today and they said there are two Police Certificates from Brazil. One is a certificate of Good Conduct from the Civil Police. The other is a criminal record from the Federal Police. So essentially one from the state and one from the federal government. I was told the internet form is not official enough and that you need to go in person to pick them up....

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong?

this is correct

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Timeline

Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me with this question: Why do people from RJ have to have a Certidão de Vida Privada? Will they not accept the other certificate of Good Conduct?

Thank you

Timeline

They will accept online certificates. I was just approved on July 11th and I used them.

You must print the authentication page also.

I was unsure just as you so I sent an email to the Consulate and inquired of them and they replied

that they do accept them. I attached this email in my NVC DS-230 packet and was never asked about it.

If you are still uncertain do as I did, email the Consul and annex the email in your submissions.

I wish you the best.

USCIS STAGE: 206 DAYS

08/03/11: Married my one true love!!!!!!!

09/20/11: Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lock Box

09/21/11: I-130 Received; fowarded to CSC.

09/23/11: NOA-1

03/24/12: RFE; Forgot to put wife's name on form G-325A.......cabeçao!!!!!!!

03/24/12: RFE Reply; resubmitted another G325A form.

03/27/12: USCIS CSC received RFE response

04/14/12: NOA-2

NVC STAGE: 18 DAYS

04/30/12: NVC received case

05/11/12: NVC Case number, IIN and BIN received. Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent)

05/14/12: AOS fee invoiced; Paid

05/17/12: IV fee invoiced; Paid

05/16/12: Mailed AOS Package

05/18/12: Mailed IV Package, delivered on 05/21/12

05/24/12: AOS accepted; awaiting DS-230 IV package review

05/29/12: DS-230 IV Package accepted. Case Complete!!

06/07/12: Received interview date

06/14/12: Casefile sent to US Embassy in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

MEDICAL / US CONSULATE / POE

06/18/12: Casefile delivered to US Embassy in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

06/29/12: Medical examination

07/11/12: Interview date....... Approved!!!!!!!

07/19/12: POE: Charlotte, North Carolina

Timeline

They will accept online certificates. I was just approved on July 11th and I used them.

You must print the authentication page also.

I was unsure just as you so I sent an email to the Consulate and inquired of them and they replied

that they do accept them. I attached this email in my NVC DS-230 packet and was never asked about it.

If you are still uncertain do as I did, email the Consul and annex the email in your submissions.

I wish you the best.

Thank you Rodrique! I still have one more doubt:

My husband is not from RJ, but he lived there for a couple of years. So, we sent a pro curaçao to a friend of ours to get the atestado de bons antecedentes. However, to my

surprise those who live or use to live in Rio have to get a Certidao de vida privada...do they only accept this or can we use the atestado of bons antecedentes? Why the difference for RJ residents????

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Mexico, Latin & South America regional forum; topic is specific to Brazil.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me with this question: Why do people from RJ have to have a Certidão de Vida Privada? Will they not accept the other certificate of Good Conduct?

Thank you

Not sure the difference? Where did you read this. Please see my 3rd link on my signature for the Consulate directions. It is a link directly to the consulate in Rio. Read through those instructions. If it is not there, then you don't need it. And yes, they DO accept the online version as long as you print out the authentication page. All the information needed for the K1 for Brazil is found from that link.

Boa Sorte,

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Not sure the difference? Where did you read this. Please see my 3rd link on my signature for the Consulate directions. It is a link directly to the consulate in Rio. Read through those instructions. If it is not there, then you don't need it. And yes, they DO accept the online version as long as you print out the authentication page. All the information needed for the K1 for Brazil is found from that link.

Boa Sorte,

That's good to hear that they accept the online Police Record from the Policia Federal. I am not sure what the difference is between the Atestando de Bons Antecedentes and the Certidão de Vida Privada. I guess better safe than sorry and go ahead and send a procuração to our friend in Rio de Janeiro.

Once you have all your documents, do you send them all to the NVC and they forward it to the Rio consulate? I am a bit confused about that because in the Rio Consulate website it says that we have to send them the DS-230 form, the DS-2001 form, copy of my husband's passport, and a 5X7 foto.

Thanks for the help!!

Timeline

Maria,

Disregard the statements that you need to send or bring the DS-230 and DS-2001 if you are doing

a CR-1 immigrant visa. I cannot speak on a K-1, but for a CR-1 you send the forms to the NVC along with

a copy of your husband bio page from his passport and 2 passport style photos.

When we had our interview I did not need any documents as they had them all, but still bring them just in case

along with any other additional proof of an ongoing relationship.

The Consul officer did not even ask to see any pictures, although I had them just in case they were needed.

Again I bid you the best.

Edited by Rodrique

05/11/12: NVC Case number, IIN and BIN received. Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent)

Timeline

That's good to hear that they accept the online Police Record from the Policia Federal. I am not sure what the difference is between the Atestando de Bons Antecedentes and the Certidão de Vida Privada. I guess better safe than sorry and go ahead and send a procuração to our friend in Rio de Janeiro.

Once you have all your documents, do you send them all to the NVC and they forward it to the Rio consulate? I am a bit confused about that because in the Rio Consulate website it says that we have to send them the DS-230 form, the DS-2001 form, copy of my husband's passport, and a 5X7 foto.

Thanks for the help!!

Sorry Maria,

I thought this was a K1 visa and not a CR1. Rodrique answered your question correctly. However, the online police certificates are accepted.

Boa Sorte,

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Sorry Maria,

I thought this was a K1 visa and not a CR1. Rodrique answered your question correctly. However, the online police certificates are accepted.

Boa Sorte,

Hey guys! Thank you very much for taking time to answer some of my questions. I really don't know why they ask for a different background check for people that live in Rio de Janeiro, but the Certidão de Vida Privada is also provided by the Secretaria de Segurança Publica. So, better safe than sorry at the time of the interview and get that certificate...

How did it take you from the time you sent in all your documents to get an interview marked?

Obrigada pela ajudinha!!!

Timeline

Hey guys! Thank you very much for taking time to answer some of my questions. I really don't know why they ask for a different background check for people that live in Rio de Janeiro, but the Certidão de Vida Privada is also provided by the Secretaria de Segurança Publica. So, better safe than sorry at the time of the interview and get that certificate...

How did it take you from the time you sent in all your documents to get an interview marked?

Well we were a K1 visa. We had to take our documents with us. That was scary because what if we left something? Missed something? But, we double-checked everything and we were fine. Once the embassy received our application from NVC, our interview was 6 weeks later. I remember the consulate in Rio being fairly efficient compared to some stories I had heard of other countries. They were very nice there. I was fortunate enough to be in Sao Paulo with Mari at the time. So, I went to the interview in Rio with her. I was allowed in the interview (some countries do not allow the petitioner in the interview). He asked me a few questions also. It seemed like forever, then he said "OK approved". We signed up to have her passport delivered to us back in Sao Paulo. It took about 4-5 days to arrive. It seemed like forever, but in reality, this part of the process goes by much quicker. While we were there, other K1 & CR1 applicants were there and they all came out smiling.!!

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

Maria,

I hope all goes well in your visa quest.

My wife was born and raised in Rio De Janeiro and we did not need the certification that you are inquiring about,

all that was needed was the State and Federal Certificates. If he has not lived in Rio for the past 5 years then

he will need them from all the other states wherein he lived for a period of less than 5 full years

Again, if you have any doubt email the Consul with your direct question and they WILL respond.

I feel you are expending a lot of energy and time about something you will not need, but do not take my word for

it.......email the Consul and you will have your answer. I hope this can aid in speeding up your process.

I bid you the best.

Edited by Rodrique

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.