Larry&Betty

Advice Needed

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have a friend who is wanting to marry her fiance but, dosent know which form to file I 129f of I 130. Her circumstances are a little complicated as she is still legally married but has been living in seperate households for a year and a half now. She has also filed her as taxes single head of household for 2011. She has only visted one time so far which was Spring 2011, but plans to go back this September and isnt sure if at that time she should just go ahead and get married while there or to wait. There was also a period of time they did not speak appox. 6 months and they dont have any pictures together basically not very much proof of ongoing relationship.. Please let me know which would be the best route and just how long does the average person get through wiht the cr1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, I'm confused. So she is legally married to someone OTHER than the man she wants to marry?

If this is the case then there is nothing she can do until she is legally divorced. While she can be engaged to another man while married to someone else, she cannot petition for him until she is legally free to marry according to federal regulations.

If she IS married to that same man, then she can only file the I130 for her spouse

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Moved from Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits to General Immigration-Related Discussion as they are looking for information for both.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Ok, I'm confused. So she is legally married to someone OTHER than the man she wants to marry?

If this is the case then there is nothing she can do until she is legally divorced. While she can be engaged to another man while married to someone else, she cannot petition for him until she is legally free to marry according to federal regulations.

If she IS married to that same man, then she can only file the I130 for her spouse

Good luck

Timeline

Her divorce will be final in about six weeks... She is concerned that this will cause problems with filing the I 129f and wonders is she she go ahead and get married firs and how long that route will actually take

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Her divorce will be final in about six weeks... She is concerned that this will cause problems with filing the I 129f and wonders is she she go ahead and get married firs and how long that route will actually take

The CR1 and K1 processes both take about the same time to process. I see the options that would provide the same timeframe as:

1. File the K1 visa the day the divorce is final. They can get all of the paperwork ready now.

2. Get married the day of being legally divorced and file for the K1.

It is a matter of personal preferance but she cannot get legally married until legally divorced and the K1 and CR1 processes take about the same amount of time.

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

tell your friend that once her divorce is final she should read the comparason guides to see what visa works best for her

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

First things first. Your friend needs her divorce to be final before she does a thing. As far as which visa to file for is totally up to her and it isn't up to us to make a decision for her. There are guides at the top of he page for her to study and she can make her decision based on what she wants.

Timeline

The CR1 and K1 processes both take about the same time to process. I see the options that would provide the same timeframe as:

1. File the K1 visa the day the divorce is final. They can get all of the paperwork ready now.

2. Get married the day of being legally divorced and file for the K1.

It is a matter of personal preferance but she cannot get legally married until legally divorced and the K1 and CR1 processes take about the same amount of time.

I think the part I highlighted in red above is supposed to be 'file for the CR-1" :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

I've seen this time and time again on here. The CO at the consulate will look how much time between divorce and marriage, and see if the new relationship started before the old one ended. There's also the issue of where there is a waiting period after divorce in their home state as well as the country of the foreign fiance. I've met more than a couple people on VJ who were denied because of this.

your friend should not rush anything, and maybe slow down and take their time. If they rush they could end up getting denied or delayed quite a long time.

Well, your friend can not legally marry until her divorce is final. I agree with preparing the documents now and file for the K1 visa or marry and file for CR-1 when she is legally divorced. Since she has been separated for 1 1/2 years from her current husband then her date of legal separation is time enough apart to know whether or not her marriage is over. I am concerned that it sounds like your friend and her fiance doesn't have much proof of a solid relationship working towards marriage. I would suggest more communication with proof i.e. Skype, phone records, phone cards, plane tickets, etc you know the usual stuff people do when they are in a solid relationship long distance wanting to be together. Your friend needs to finalize her divorce and provide the counsel with a substantial amount of proof that her relationship is solid.star_smile.gif

This is the best jOURney of OUR lives, together forever! Singing..... INTERNATIONAL LOVE :-)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Time and evidence will weigh heavily on any decision here. Look at the other postings like this many have had issues with everything so close together.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

she should file CR1 after her divorce. not my place to judge her but questions will be asked and she may have to admit being in relation with another man before her initial marriage was dissolved.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

She should wait until she is divorced, then she can either file an I-129F or she can get married and file an I-130.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Timeline

The CO at the consulate will look how much time between divorce and marriage, and see if the new relationship sJtarted before the old one ended.

I started a relationship with my husband about 1 year before he was officially divorced and we got married 3 months after his divorce was final and it never came up. Not even one single question or thought about it from the IO. His divorce degree even stated that 'adultery' was the reason for divorce .... was never a problem!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.