Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

plz explain the secret to preparing proper chicken tangine. yea i google and foodnetwork it but it not tasting the same like when I eat it at morocco pavilion at EPCOT. plz tell me the secret spices I am missing.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: Timeline
1352695661[/url]' post='5816102']

plz explain the secret to preparing proper chicken tangine. yea i google and foodnetwork it but it not tasting the same like when I eat it at morocco pavilion at EPCOT. plz tell me the secret spices I am missing.

Here is my moroccan tagine. I also cook mine in a clay tagine on low for two hours, so I believe taste wise, it's better.

2 chicken breast or 4-5 thighs skinned.

Medium onion

2 long carrots peeled, cut in half and take out middle core of carrots.

1-2 small potatoes cut into 4ths

Zucchini if desired cut into 4ths

2 tablespoons of Parsley and cilantro chopped finely

1 medium tomato sliced

1/2 cup of frozen peas

SPICES

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch of nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

Add all spices together and mix with 3/4 cup of water and stir well. Pour over your tagine, once you have layered your veggies over chicken. COOK ON LOW TWO HOURS. Do not stir....

See tagines online to assemble if you have never done one.

• 3 weeks later...
1354580920[/url]' post='5853335']

Anyone have a recipe for Jordanian Mansaf? I cannot find jameed anywhere and I need to know what I can substitute for it. Thanks :)

Hey C... Since jameed seems to time consuming to make and hard to find, I would suggest using the jameed liquid soup starter. It's the same taste, but in liquid form instead of ball form.

You can order this on amazon.com from 10 to 13 dollars for large reusable container for multiple uses. Guess its worth a try, I am sure he misses one of the most popular dishes of Jordan.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here is my moroccan tagine. I also cook mine in a clay tagine on low for two hours, so I believe taste wise, it's better.

2 chicken breast or 4-5 thighs skinned.

Medium onion

2 long carrots peeled, cut in half and take out middle core of carrots.

1-2 small potatoes cut into 4ths

Zucchini if desired cut into 4ths

2 tablespoons of Parsley and cilantro chopped finely

1 medium tomato sliced

1/2 cup of frozen peas

SPICES

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch of nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

Add all spices together and mix with 3/4 cup of water and stir well. Pour over your tagine, once you have layered your veggies over chicken. COOK ON LOW TWO HOURS. Do not stir....

See tagines online to assemble if you have never done one.

I was able to find a gourmet collection by McCormick named Moroccan Seasoning Ras El Hanout wow it works wonders on a tagine. I found that my mother in law always cooks with cumin and its a great combination with turmeric. I also made lubia and added lean ground beef lol it won most creative category during a chili cook off my husband was so proud.

1357269440[/url]' post='5901941']

I was able to find a gourmet collection by McCormick named Moroccan Seasoning Ras El Hanout wow it works wonders on a tagine. I found that my mother in law always cooks with cumin and its a great combination with turmeric. I also made lubia and added lean ground beef lol it won most creative category during a chili cook off my husband was so proud.

Hey, congrats on the chili cook off.

I have some Ras El Hanout as well. However, there is a spice that neither of us care for as it's so strong, maybe cardamom IDK. I absolutely love cumin. I eat cumin on everything, including boiled eggs now. We are very lucky to get fresh Moroccan spices,at least twice a year from family members who visit there and bring back gallon size baggies of spices for us.

Just this morning, hubby asked if I could make some Moroccan Beghrir for the weekend. I remember how terrified I was to make this the first time, as he said his sisters could never get the holes lol to appear in the mix while cooking. After the first few times, it's one of the easiest things to make for sure.

I want to try some new recipes from Paula Wolfert, her books are amazing as well. Though, I do find, she tends to stray away from the authentic Moroccan way of cooking, which is common amongst chefs anyway.

Miben, share some of your recipes here, I am always looking for yummy recipes to make.

Edited by foreverwaiting

• 1 month later...

Hi MENA ladies (and men),

I'm hoping you can help me with my food cravings....

While living in Kuwait, I feel in love with Lebanese food. Now, back in the USA, I've resigned myself to the fact that if I want it, I'll have to make it myself (haven't had much success at the local Arabic restaurants).

The thing I'm having the most difficulty with is the garlic paste/sauce. The times I have tried to make it have been utter failures - yellow, thick and putrid garlic. What I would like is something super-light (almost foam-like), and a refined taste to the garlic. Not the burn-your-mouth, tongue-curling, just-ate-raw-garlic taste.

Does anyone have some experience/help to offer?

Thanks!!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Like Toum?

Fast and Easy Toum Recipe (Lebanese Garlic Sauce)

Ingredients

5 cloves of garlic

1 egg white

Juice of 1 lemon

A good pinch of salt

1 cup of iced water of which you will use around 2 tbsp

1 cup of neutral oil, canola or vegetable oil (Edit: Since this recipe was published, I’ve come to understand that seed and commercial vegetable oils are highly inflammatory and largely contribute to heart disease and diabetes. I suggest using oils low in Omega 6 and high in monounsaturated fats. As neutral oils go, a high oleic sunflower such as this one would be a good option.)

Method

Put the garlic cloves along with salt and 1/4 of the lemon juice in the blender

Blend on medium and scrape the sides down when the garlic goes flying everywhere

Add the egg white and blend on medium

Add half the oil in bit by bit. A thin stream is not necessary, but don’t go crazy. A reasonable, fine, steady pour is good

At this stage, the emulsification should have taken place. If it hasn’t and the sauce looks like it has split, then something has gone wrong. You may need to remove half the amount, add another egg white, whizz away and re-pour what had already split. But if you take it slow without pouring the oil too quickly, it should be fine

Switch to a slow blend, and add the rest of the lemon juice in slowly too

Add the rest of the oil in the same fashion

Add 1 or 2 tbsp of water. You will see the consistency change into something wonderfully creamy and light. Water seems to do wonders for the texture, I’m not sure why

Taste it, praise the Lord, and write back and tell me how amazing I am

http://thefoodblog.com.au/2010/04/fast-and-easy-toum-the-best-lebanese-garlic-sauce-recipe.html

Hi MENA ladies (and men),

I'm hoping you can help me with my food cravings....

While living in Kuwait, I feel in love with Lebanese food. Now, back in the USA, I've resigned myself to the fact that if I want it, I'll have to make it myself (haven't had much success at the local Arabic restaurants).

The thing I'm having the most difficulty with is the garlic paste/sauce. The times I have tried to make it have been utter failures - yellow, thick and putrid garlic. What I would like is something super-light (almost foam-like), and a refined taste to the garlic. Not the burn-your-mouth, tongue-curling, just-ate-raw-garlic taste.

Does anyone have some experience/help to offer?

Thanks!!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Hi and thanks Sandinista,

Yes, toum! Didn't want to use the word because when I asked for it last at an Arabic grocery store, they brought me to the garlic cloves! I then thought 'toum' must mean something different to different people!

That recipe looks pretty good, very thorough and detailed. I did have someone in Kuwait tell me I should add ice to it, but I couldn't imagine why or in what proportions.

Now...any experience or amazing recipes for fattoush?

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Toum does literally mean garlic, but when used when ordering a chicken shawarma sandwich it's understood as the paste ;)

Even easier would be to just grind up some garlic (use a mortar and pestle and make it really mushy) and mix with mayonnaise. You could add some lemon and salt depending on your taste.

With the fattoush, make sure you add pomegranate molasses (debs al rumman) to any dressing you use. I don't have a full recipe but I LOVE it when restaurants do that, makes it nice and tangy :)

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Thanks Roosha! Pomegranate molasses. I think that might be my missing ingredient. I've tried to make it with just oil, lemon juice and sumac, but it just didn't have the right tang to it. Oh, I really hope that's it! Pomegranate molasses...I would have never guessed!

I'm going to attempt both the toum and fattoush this weekend, and then I'll report back.

Thanks again!

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy

Hi again all,

So the toum will have to wait for another weekend. But tried the fattoush with pomegranate molasses (but when making the molasses, I couldn't get it down to molasses, so it's more like syrup), and it is sooo close to what I want.

My only problem is the sumac. My sumac turned out gritty and not very flavorful. I did soak it in water for about 20 minutes. Maybe it's the brand? Or do I need to grind it more? Anyone have advice for how to get the most out of sumac?

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy

cheap sumac has the seeds ground in too, which makes it gritty. better grade does not have the ground seeds.

i think penzey's sumac is good. if there's not a penzey's near you, you can order online. williams sonoma has good quality sumac too.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.