Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I *heart* food matters. Never before in my life have I had success losing weight, but now that I'm following it's suggestions, the weight is literally melting off. And I was so crazy busy with work when I started, I didn't make it to the gym, and I STILL am losing weight.

I can eat pancakes for breakfast, PANCAKES, and still lose weight. I'm in heaven :luv: AbuS has also enjoyed every recipe I've made from here so far, which is quite a feat, considering they're light on the meat.

100_2339.jpg

Whole Grain Pancakes

The secret to light whole grain pancakes is to beat the egg whites really well, so the batter can support not only all whole grain flour – no mean feat – but small amounts of add-ins as well. Some ideas to get you started: ½ cup cornmeal, rolled oats or oat or wheat bran in place of ½ cup of the flour; up to 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed; add up to ½ cup of any light, cooked grains like couscous, millet, or quinoa; freshly grated orange or lemon zest; chopped nuts or chopped dried fruit.

For an exotic bread replacement, omit the sugar, increase the salt a bit, replace the cinnamon with cumin, and serve the pancakes as flatbreads with soups, stews or salads.

• Butter as needed

• 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour

• 2 tablespoons sugar

• 1 tablespoon baking powder

• ½ teaspoon ground coriander or cardamom (optional) [ummS note – cardamom makes these taste awesome even without a topping)

• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

• ½ teaspoon salt

• 2 large eggs, separated

• 2 cups milk

1. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.

2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer or a whisk until still peaks form, but do not overbeat. In a separate bowl beat the yolks, milk and melted butter until foamy, a couple of minutes. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and give a couple of good stirs, but do not overmix. Fold in the egg whites and stir until the batter is just evenly colored and relatively smooth; it’s ok if there are some lumps.

3. Heat a large skilled (preferably cast iron) or griddle over medium heat until a few drops of water dance on its surface. Add the butter as needed (or use a thin film of vegetable oil) [ummS note – I used natural cooking spray]. When the skillet is hot, spoon the batter into pan. Cook until bubbles form and pop, about 2 minutes; you may have to rotate the cakes to cook them evenly, depending on your heat source and pan. Then carefully flip pancakes. Cook until well colored on other side, another minute or two more. Serve or keep in warm oven for a few minutes. Serve with maple syrup, fruit compote, jam or caramelized apples

UmmS also adds – I make 8 to 9 very large pancakes, and eat one each day at breakfast with a light drizzle of real (no fake cra*p allowed) maple syrup). They last about a week in the fridge, so if it’s going to be just you eating them, I’d freeze half after making them.

Edited by UmmSqueakster

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Since I started in the middle of February, I've lost 8 lbs. That's the most I've ever lost in my entire life in such a short period. I usually suck at dieting and eating healthy, but this really isn't too hard. It's about changing the way you think about eating - avoid refined foods like white flour, rice and sugar. Avoid junk food and highly processed food stuffs. Cut down on meat and dairy products. Greatly increase your consumption of whole plant based foods like fruits, veggies, legumes and whole grains. And don't beat yourself up for cheating, so long as you don't cheat too often.

I don't know if you can order the book in Algeria, but do look into it. It's really worth it, although I don't know how much the first half about big agro business would apply to food production where you are. The recipes in the second half are fabulous.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

UmmS can I just say you're food attitude has rubbed off? I started working out in mid-December and really didn't change much about food however from beginning to read a lot about food in this country (or the things that they call food) I have totally overhauled our diet. Now I only go with halal meat - or grass fed organic beef and free range chicken, organic eggs and milk, and organic fruit and vegetables. If I can't cook it it's not in the kitchen - no more pre-packaged food or processed junk. It's frightening really to see what is in some of the things we eat. I'll be honest we all feel better and are less tired as well. I know that some people think it's more expensive to eat this way but honestly, I don't think so. It does require some more work but I am willing to do that knowing that what's going in is all good!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Ooo, you're doing better than me! While we've chucked all the processed food stuffs, I'm still working on the organic. We've watched Food Inc., and I'm currently sending him pictures and videos of poor featherless chickens stuffed in cages who've never seen the sun to bolster my argument that we need to buy free range eggs.

AbuS is a huge budget person, so I'm trying to figure out how we can buy more in the way of organic without going over his carefully crafted budget. Budgets, meh.

Are you guys going to do a CSA this year? That's also on my list of things to convince the husband about.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Yes!! We are doing one - I wish you lived a tiny bit closer then we could split one!!! (Although the one I'm looking to do has 2-3 drops in MSP and is affordable for a 1/2 share - and you can add on chicken or eggs if you like). Anyway, yea hubby was not one to be into it, cost, BUT I bought organic milk and some vegetables and oranges and he said "ahh this finally tastes like home". It was funny. He pretty much lets me go ahead when it comes to food stuff so as long as I'm careful with cost he's cool. Maybe go 1/2 organic first? That way you can ease in and not have a budget shocker. I think what finally won him over was taste. He could tell it was better.

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Hi ladies,

I have eaten mostly organic most of my life - I grew up on an organic farm - and it is definitely possible to find ways to continue to eat this way, even on a student's budget. Some good options are Costco (which also has halal lamb) and Trader Joe's, if you have them nearby. Some things at Trader Joe's are not certified organic but are pretty close to, which I find to be a good compromise. Also, I am more careful about certain things like dairy because the antibiotic/hormone thing freaks me out, but other things I am less concerned about. Here is an article about easing into organic food strategically:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/f...-to-go-organic/

Take care, good luck!

Timeline

MrsAmera - Oo, I'm jealous re: CSA. Which one are you doing? I almost had AbuS convinced, but then he said he wanted to see what a basket looked like first, and the pictures on the website weren't enough. But, a small victory in that he said that we can arrange some weekend outings to various locally owned farms to see the whole CSA process first hand and then next year, get a CSA share. I think perhaps this year I'll just purchase most of my produce from a farmers market. But here in the cities, that doesn't always = buying local. The downtown minneapolis one allows people to sell stuff from california. Sure, it's from a farm somewhere, but not quite what one has in mind re: farmers markets.

zahra - thanks for the link! I'm going to read it through with AbuS. We drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of apples (and quite a few potatoes. Hmm, I wonder about onions, cuz we go through probably 3 lbs of those a week). Maybe we can integrate one new item in every few months.

Henia - oh, don't I know it! Apparently in Egypt, they don't follow the manufacturers' instructions on assorted pesticides and other nasty chemicals, and apply them way too late in the growing process, so there's even more dangerous ####### in the produce than there should be. Make sure you're washing everything super well :star:

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

No unfortunately no way to order anything from here - no shipping or credit cards here!

I need to lose some weight. I lost alot when I moved here but this last pregnancy gained it back + some more subhanallah! While we donnot eat out, drink Cokes, eat any convienence food laddened with chemicals ... here in Algeria I think people eat too many sweets! Even me, i find myself eating more then I need to! Unless you bake your own bread and make own pastas there is no whole grained anything here! i buy locally but I know they use chemicals on the produce. We rarely eat meat, and even more rare it is red meat. We eat alot of carbs well since it is what people in the Med eat and plus it is cheap!

But on the healthy side, we walk everywhere so we do excerise. plus carry all the kids and bags LOL! We eat alot of veggies, most meals are vegetarian. And also alot of fruit, raw milk, homemade dairy products, olive oil and drink alot of water! and i bake my own bread.

I am curious about that book Rahma! Have you read Nourishing Traditions? Heard alot about it but unfortunately cannot buy here.

I try to budget - but it seems something always comes along to eat up all our money set aside! =(

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I'm looking for a recipe for Fdoush. It's Moroccan angel hair pasta with chicken on top.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline

Kenza - do you mean md'founa? the small pieces of chicken covered with vermicelli?

Seffa Medfounda (Buried in Vermicelli)

----- For Preparing the Seffa -----

2 lbs. (about 1 kg) dry broken vermicelli or couscous

3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil

2 teaspoons salt

1 cup golden raisins, soaked in water for 20 minutes

4 tablespoons butter

1 cup powdered sugar, or to taste

----- For Cooking the Saffron Chicken or Meat -----

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (or 2 lbs. - about 1 kg - cubed lamb or beef)

2 large sweet onions, chopped medium

1 tablespoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon white pepper

½ teaspoon black pepper

2 sticks of cinnamon

1 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled

1 teaspoon turmeric

1½ to 2 teaspoons salt

4 tablespoons butter

¼ cup olive oil

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

----- For Decorating the Seffa ----- (optional)

½ to 1 cup almonds (blanched, fried and ground)

1 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Steam the Couscous or Broken Vermicelli (Chaariya)

Fill the base of a couscoussier with ample salted water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and proceed with steaming the couscous three times (add the raisins for the final steaming), or the broken vermicelli four to five times (add the raisins for the fourth steaming).

Cook the Saffron Chicken, Lamb or Beef

While you’re steaming the couscous or broken vermicelli, also prepare the meat.

Mix the chicken, lamb or beef with the onions, spices, butter, oil and cilantro in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Gently brown the chicken or meat over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

If cooking chicken, don’t add water as the chicken will braise in its own juices. If preparing lamb or beef, add enough water to just cover the meat.

Cover the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender. This will take about 1 hour for the chicken, but may take longer for the lamb or beef. Avoid scorching the meat, and add a small amount of water to the lamb or beef during the cooking if necessary.

When the chicken or meat has been cooked, reduce the liquids until a thick sauce has formed. Discard the cinnamon sticks, and taste for seasoning. If desired, remove the chicken from the bones.

To Serve Seffa Medfouna

Gently toss the steamed broken vermicelli or couscous with the butter and powdered sugar. Place about ⅓ of this mixture on a very large serving dish.

Arrange the chicken or meat in the center, and cover with the sauce. Pile the rest of the couscous or vermicelli on top of the meat, using your hands to shape a dome.

Decorate the mound of seffa in a vertical pattern with the cinnamon, ground almonds and powdered sugar. Serve immediately, with small bowls of powdered sugar, ground almonds and cinnamon on the side.

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Yes, thank you :)

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.