Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Also, major :ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting: I just checked my half.com order and everything was canceled, because they "checked their inventory and found that it wasn't there." Then why are you STILL selling it????????????

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Curry-Boo...infoQQprZ459461 <-- seller alibris :bonk::bonk:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

I gave up on half.com and just ordered a few more from amazon. Ordered the newest version of How to Cook everything by Mark Bittman, the Curry Book, and a Mutts comic :star:

I also received my first amazon shipment today, and both books look fabulous :thumbs: I can't decide what to make first. I'm thinking Red lentil and Squash soup with a homemade veggie and ginger broth with a simple crusty white peasant style pot bread. Oops, the only problem is I don't have an appropriate pot :unsure: Guess I'll have to look more. She rates the bread recipes by easy. With my track record of bread failures, I think I'll try all those that are super easy first (short ingredient list, readily available ingredients, no hand shaping).

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I ended up ordering off of Amazon too - one came today the "We called it Macaroni" one and my mom got me "The Art of French Cooking" for Christmas. Can't wait to sit own and read them!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Tell us how the Macaroni one is!

I did decide to make the potted peasant bread using my casserole dish. I mixed it up last night, then stuck it in the fridge overnight, and took it out this morning to do the first slow rise. Then tomorrow, I think I mix it some more, let it do a quick rise of a few hours, and then pop it in the oven. inshaAllah if all goes well, I'll have fresh bread tomorrow night with starberry-rhubab jelly :wub:

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So far it's good - I am planning to read it tomorrow - as we just got back from family shenanigans this weekend. Will update!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Awesome, I'll definitely get it next time around inshaAllah, along with the Blue Corn and Chocolate book.

Also, I am beyond in love with the Kneadlessly Simple book. I made light whole wheat bread this weekend, and it was fabulous :star: The only problem I encountered was that it rose too much the second time around and overflowed the pan, but I think that's because it calls for a cool room rise the first time around, and we don't really have a cool room in our hot hot hot apartment. Also, I let it rise for 3 hours while I was out shopping, instead of the 2 it called for. But, it was still very very tasty.

I've got another batch of the pot bread rising at home right now and inshaAllah I'll bake it tonight. I'm going to have to start buying flour in bulk :dance:

I also made creamy potato and roasted garlic soup from the love soup book, and it is delicious too. I *heart* garlic.

Here's a picture of my first pot bread attempt. I ended up getting a 5 quart dutch oven, which is alas, too big. The loaf ended up a little flat, but it was still very very tasty. I'll have to keep my eye out for a 3-4 quart dutch oven on sale some time

100_2225.jpg

Edited by UmmSqueakster

irhal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Another great cookbook find - Whole Food - found it at my local used bookstore. Looks like they printed too many, because you can get one new from amazon for a penny. With shipping, that's like $4! It's mainly vegetarian/vegan, but it does have a meat section. I haven't made anything from it yet, but I've read through it and plan to make the vegetable tangine and some kind of grain pilaf this weekend inshaAllah. It also has a good selection of dairy free and gluten free recipes, if you ever have to cook for anyone who has dietary restrictions.

The recipes do have A LOT of ingredients, so I probably won't be typing out too many of them. It can be kind of intimidating to look at, but I think most of the time, a lot of the ingredients are herbs and spices.

irhal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I watched this being made on LiveWellHD

Its called Musakhan

Serves: 8Nemer Ziyad shares a recipe for Palestinian sumac chicken.

Ingredients:

•1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

•5 Tablespoons sumac

•1/2 teaspoon allspice

•1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

•1/2 teaspoon turmeric

•3/4 teaspoon salt

•1 teaspoon ground black pepper

•3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs

•4 large red onions, thinly sliced

•2 cloves garlic, minced

•1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth

•Juice of 1 lemon

•3 pita breads

•3 oz. toasted almond slivers

•3 oz. toasted pine nuts for garnish

•2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

1. Mix sumac, allspice, cinnamon, tumeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper with 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Combine with chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours.

2. Brown chicken in a hot sauté pan over high heat in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. When browned, remove from sauté pan and reserve.

3. In the same saute pan, sauté onions and remaining salt and pepper in 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Cook until they are lightly browned and very soft. Mix with chicken broth and lemon juice and reserve. 4. In a 9 x 13 baking pan, layer pita breads, onions, and then the chicken.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

I don't know if anyone here is Vegetarian or Vegan but my Hubby is not big on meat.

With the help of some of my family members we found this vegan foods magazine with middle eastern recipes. The magazine says, "This issue is free to distribute as long as it remains unmodified, so if you are part of an veg-friendly organization, veg-friendly club, or vegetarian society/meetup, send it along!"

http://veganculinaryexperience.com/VCEDec09.pdf

It's a 207 page PDF you can save and the food index starts on page 42. We're printing it out and making a binder for it to refer too in addition to having a back up on the computer.

Edited by ~Flower~

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
I watched this being made on LiveWellHD

Its called Musakhan

Serves: 8Nemer Ziyad shares a recipe for Palestinian sumac chicken.

Ingredients:

•1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

•5 Tablespoons sumac

•1/2 teaspoon allspice

•1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

•1/2 teaspoon turmeric

•3/4 teaspoon salt

•1 teaspoon ground black pepper

•3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs

•4 large red onions, thinly sliced

•2 cloves garlic, minced

•1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth

•Juice of 1 lemon

•3 pita breads

•3 oz. toasted almond slivers

•3 oz. toasted pine nuts for garnish

•2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

1. Mix sumac, allspice, cinnamon, tumeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper with 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Combine with chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours.

2. Brown chicken in a hot sauté pan over high heat in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. When browned, remove from sauté pan and reserve.

3. In the same saute pan, sauté onions and remaining salt and pepper in 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Cook until they are lightly browned and very soft. Mix with chicken broth and lemon juice and reserve. 4. In a 9 x 13 baking pan, layer pita breads, onions, and then the chicken.

Looks pretty good but there is an important thing missing -- you need to bake this in the oven after assembling the layers. Also I think this recipe wants you to pour the chicken broth mixture on top of the chicken afer assembling, before popping in the oven. We usually brush the bread with olive oil before baking, and also we put half the onions under the chicken, and the rest on top.

This recipe calls for boneless chicken, so I would say 30-40 minutes in the oven. We use bone-in chicken pieces, so it usually takes about an hour and a half of baking.

I might sprinkle additional sumac on top of the chicken. Also, some people like to put pieces of bread on top as well, to help keep the chicken from drying out - this might be good with boneless chicken. (If the bread on top starts to get too brown, you can cover with foil to keep it from burning.)

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

WOM, I thought the half can of chicken broth was only for cooking in with the onions? Should I still do that and then add the other half to the layed dish before cooking in oven? Thinking to make it this weekend.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

WOM! :luv::luv::luv::luv::luv:

~Flower~ - thanks for the pdf. I actually just picked up a vegetarian MENA cookbook recently on one of my used book weekend digs - Vegetarian Dishes from Across the Middle East. I haven't tried any yet (that's what I get for collecting cookbooks faster than I can cook), but it does show promise.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
WOM, I thought the half can of chicken broth was only for cooking in with the onions? Should I still do that and then add the other half to the layed dish before cooking in oven? Thinking to make it this weekend.

Oops I didn't read that properly, PTG. You are right - it says to mix the chicken broth mixture into the cooked onions. I never tried making Musakhan with added chicken broth but it sounds really good - especially with the boneless chicken. I might even try this way with a combination of boneless chicken breasts and thighs...

Hey Rahma! Right back atcha :luv: :luv: :luv::luv::luv:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline
WOM! :luv::luv::luv::luv::luv:

~Flower~ - thanks for the pdf. I actually just picked up a vegetarian MENA cookbook recently on one of my used book weekend digs - Vegetarian Dishes from Across the Middle East. I haven't tried any yet (that's what I get for collecting cookbooks faster than I can cook), but it does show promise.

Thanks UmmSqueakster, now you've got me and Hubby searching cookbooks online together. :lol: We found one we both like the looks of Egyptian Cooking: A Practical Guide

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.