Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Hi all!

First off in my home country, we never ate corn on the cob, as Aymsgirl said was considered animal feed. I ate it first time in the US. Damn good too!

In MENA, they burn the hell out of the corn since the corn isn't sweet corn, buuut the one used for making cornmeal ... it's hard and not sweet at all.

And the Algerian soup recipe isn't Algerian at all ... it's Lebanese/Syrian. And soup in Algeria similar to that would be Chourba Addes ... tomatoes are tomatich not banadoura FYI.

Cast iron tajine is the best ... I have tried them all. Here I have bought a SEB brand but LeCrueset is probably better.

Yes, I know chorba well. My husband just calls the recipe "Adas" and upon searching the net I found a very close recipe to the one we use on Recipezaar which named the dish as I listed...we just tweeked it to our taste. I didn't mean to offend or dishonor the cooks in our midst. I am just a novice cook who loves trying new and different recipes. I am still learning...lol...but thank you for the correction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am having a fabulous time making somali recipes from this blog. I made bur macsharo last night, and AbuS looooved it. The cardomon gave it an odd flavor for me - I'm not a big fan - but AbuS loves cardamon, so it was right up his ally.

I'm not sure about the amount of oil used. I put in enough the first time to cover the pan, but that made the first piece really really oily. For the second, I used very little oil. AbuS liked the oily one better :wacko:

I can't decide if I should make muufo baraawe or sabayah this weekend.

Also new in my baking world, banana (or applesauce) bran muffins. Very very filling, very very tasty. I added the extra 1/4 cup sugar and the mini chocolate chip. They're a little too unsweet without the extra sugar and just about everything is better with chocolate chips.

100_1662.jpg

½ cup vegetable oil

¼ cup honey

¼ cup sugar

2 tablespoons dark molasses

2 eggs (or egg substitute)

2 ripe mashed bananas (or 1 cup applesauce)

1 cup low far or non fat milk

3 cups wheat bran

1 1/3 cup whole wheat (or white) flour

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking soda

1 cup raisins (or dried cranberries, dried cherries or mixture of all)

or 1 cup mini chocolate chips, or ½ mini chocolate chips and ½ dried fruit

Put all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until combined

Spray 12 large cupcake tins with cooking spray and fill each ¾ full with the mixture. I actually get 18 muffins out of this recipe when I’ve made it.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

These are a few recipes, the ones that I mentioned that always get "rave" reviews.

Just thought I would share.

The banana bread recipe is from my mom's family that came over from Germany. Not sure how old the recipe is but I love it.

Moosewood Fudge Brownies

Ingredients

* 5 oz Unsweetened chocolate

* 1/2 lb Butter or margerine, soft

* 1 3/4 c Light brown sugar (white ok)

* 5 Eggs

* 1 1/2 ts Vanilla extract

* 1 c Flour(3/4c for fudgier ones)

Optional Additions

* 1 c Chopped walnuts/pecans

* 1 ts Freshly grated orange rind

* 1/2 ts Cinnamon

* 1 sm Ripe banana, mashed

* 2 tb To 4T strong black coffee

* 1 c Semisweet choc chips

Instructions

1. Butter 9x13 pan. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Gently melt the chocolate. Let it cool for about 10 mins.

3. Cream the butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl until light and fluffy.

4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in the vanilla.

5. Stir constantly as you drizzle in the melted chocolate. After all the chocolate is in, beat well for a minute or two.

6. Stir in the flour and possible embellishments. Mix just enough to blend thoroughly.

7. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 20-25 mins, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cut into squares while still hot, then allow to cool for at least 10 mins, if you can wait that long.

For the additions on these, I add both cinnamon and chocolate chips. These brownies are just out of this world!! So good. :luv:

Caramel Apple Bars (from Betty Crocker?)

These take a little effort, but aren't hard to make.

Ingredients

Base and Topping:

2 cups flour

2 cups quick cooking rolled oats

1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 1/4 cups margarine or butter, melted

Filling:

1 1/2 cups caramel ice cream topping

1/2 cup flour

2 cups coarsely chopped apples

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. In large bowl, combine all base ingredients; mix at low speed until crumbly. Press half of mixture (about 2 1/2 cups) in bottom of greased pan to form base. Reserve remaining mixture for topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan over medium heat, combine caramel topping and 1/2 cup flour. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Sprinkle apples and nuts over warm base. Pour caramel mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.

3. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. Cut into bars. Store in a tightly covered container.

48 bars

Banana Bread

Ingredients

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 bananas ( I like to use ones that are VERY ripe)

3 tsp milk

1/2 cup butter

2 cups flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat thoroughly.

Stir in bananas and milk.

Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture.

Bake in loaf pan at 350 degrees for one hour or til toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Applesauce Bread

The original recipe did not call for chocolate chips, but I think the bread is soooo much better with them.

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup applesauce

2 large eggs

1 cup raisins

1/2 cup chocolate chips (or a little more perhaps? :D )

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 by 4 by 3-inch loaf pan.

Cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the remaining ingredients except the raisins and chips. Mix well until blended. Stir in the raisins and chips. Pour into the loaf pan. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Timeline

Thanks for posting Melissa! Sounds so yummy, I can't wait to try a few!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

I am having a fabulous time making somali recipes from this blog. I made bur macsharo last night, and AbuS looooved it. The cardomon gave it an odd flavor for me - I'm not a big fan - but AbuS loves cardamon, so it was right up his ally.

I'm not sure about the amount of oil used. I put in enough the first time to cover the pan, but that made the first piece really really oily. For the second, I used very little oil. AbuS liked the oily one better :wacko:

thank you for that link! somali food is so delicious. i want someone to open a halal somali restaurant in portland, stat. but until then i'll see how i do with some of those recipes.

i would go for the sabayah. it looks really, really good, esp. the zucchini cilantro one.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

thank you for that link! somali food is so delicious. i want someone to open a halal somali restaurant in portland, stat. but until then i'll see how i do with some of those recipes.

i would go for the sabayah. it looks really, really good, esp. the zucchini cilantro one.

You're very welcome :) We have a large somali population here, and it seems whenever I go to a halaqa at a somali dominated masjid, the sisters will bring heaps and heaps of food. I never thought I would like goat, but they make it very very tasty.

I didn't end up making any bread this weekend, but AbuS and I have it on the agenda for next weekend. I'm also looking at this new blog Tammy just posted - http://www.mysomalifood.com/ - and adding more to my to make list.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

This recipe got 2 :thumbs: from AbuS. I'm not a shrimp person, so I didn't have any, but he said it tastes like the stuff we get from the local chinese restaurant.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sesame-Shrimp/Detail.aspx

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaams,

Funny you should post about Sesame Chinese food. I just made 2 nights ago this rid the fridge sesame chicken which I( and everyone else ) loved! Basmati rice, garlic green beans and shrimp ragoon on the side. Felt like the Chinese buffet LOL!

Made this http://jayesel.net/2008/08/23/recipe-sun-d...a-with-chicken/ It was a hit with dh and the in-laws we had over for dinner. Cheap to make too!

Timeline

Two tasty vegan lentil dishes:

Ethiopian Spicy Tomato Lentil Stew - this dish is REALLY tomato-y as made. I think next time I may cut down on the tomatos and increase the veggie broth.

French Lentil Soup w/ Tarragon and Thyme - this was a bit different, due to the french lentils. I normally cook with red lentils or the whole brown/green ones that get mushy. Apparently, french lentils maintain their shape and don't get mushy. Different, but very tasty.

For veggie bouillon, I use Rapnuzel, which I find at my local co-op. It's more expensive then bouillon from the groccery store, but increadibly tastey and one has no salt, which is great for my high blood pressure.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

Salaam ya Rahma, I too suffer from high blood pressure. I will have to check out Rapnuzel with no salt. Are they available at any co-op? I like Eastside Food Co-op by Holyland. I love to make soups in the winter.

I have been had a taste for light foods as of late. Salad and pasta are my thing once it get's warm out. I'd love to get some great recipes for that!

Edited by 100% Al Ahly Fan

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

rapunzel has their own version of nutella that's really tasty too!

i want to make this cilantro mint naan tomorrow, and i think those lentils would be good with it. (the tarragon and thyme ones). thanks for sharing about the bouillon too, i've been looking for a better alternative to halal maggi.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

Al Ahly Fan - Wa alaikum assalam, I get them at Mississippi Market. Haven't been to Eastside foods, so I do not know, unfortunately.

chemaatah - ooo, I had not seen that before! I'm definitely going to look for that on my next co-op trip.

irhal.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Anyone know the Moroccan dish Madrosa (sp?) It's shredded Melwei with some type of sauce resembling brown gravey with lentils and chicken served on top. It's made mostly for special occasions, and my SIL from the Sahara made it when we welcomed a new baby into the family. It was absolutely fabulous ! I have not been able to find a recipe :help:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think you're thinking of Rfisa. I don't do it with lentils but you could add cooked ones on top - I also don't always use fenugreek. ALso this is almost only made after women give birth. :)

8-10 medium to large melwi

oil

3 medium onions

2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

2 or 3 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped

1½ tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp ras al hanout (optional)

3 T fenugreek seeds, rinsed and soaked overnight if possible

2 quarts water

slice onions and cook in a little oil on medium-high heat in a medum-sized stock pot. Add the chicken and cook until browned on the outside. Stir in the chopped tomatoes.

Add 3 C water, salt, pepper, ginger, turmeric, paprika, ras al hanout, and fenugreek seeds. Bring to a boil. Add the rest of the water, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken and fenugreek are tender (especially if the fenugreek wasn’t soaked ahead of time).

While chicken is cooking, heat up msemmen and tear layers apart into small pieces and pile onto serving plate. Top with chicken and veggies in the center. Spoon broth over chicken and melwi, but don’t get the msemmen sopping wet.

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.