Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

i (L) my le creuset tagine. it's cast iron on the bottom with a ceramic lid. it's great on the stove top or the oven. and le creuset has such great colors. mine's bright red :)

How much are those? I was checking them out online, but no $$$ were listed...thanks !

around $150. i know williams sonoma does not carry them online anymore, but they might still be available in their stores. sur la table has them online, for the same price.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Does anyone know why Egyptians always burn the %#*& out of corn on the BBQ instead of just boiling it, or at least grilling it "lightly"?

We went to a BBQ a week or so ago and the hosts had spent a fortune buying fresh corn (this time of year it's like 4 for $5.00)... I thought what a TREAT! Then they proceeded to leave it on the BBQ until it was just 2 shades short of BLACK... it tasted like rawhide and had NO FLAVOR except SMOKE FLAVOR...

Why do they do that? Anyone know? They just told me "OH this is sooooooooo good way to make it"....... :no::wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Does anyone know why Egyptians always burn the %#*& out of corn on the BBQ instead of just boiling it, or at least grilling it "lightly"?

We went to a BBQ a week or so ago and the hosts had spent a fortune buying fresh corn (this time of year it's like 4 for $5.00)... I thought what a TREAT! Then they proceeded to leave it on the BBQ until it was just 2 shades short of BLACK... it tasted like rawhide and had NO FLAVOR except SMOKE FLAVOR...

Why do they do that? Anyone know? They just told me "OH this is sooooooooo good way to make it"....... :no::wacko:

haha, same in Morocco...I don't know, but I watch them and tell them to stop when it looks done to me and then I put butter on it...yummm!!!!

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wael told me the Egyptians usually eat corn on the cob as a snack, not like we do with our meal. I remember seeing all the little vendors on the street grilling the corn and the smell alone was to die for!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Timeline

Last time I was there they bought some for me from a stall on the street... it was NASTY... I don't think we eat the type of corn they were selling... I've only seen something similar to that in feed stores dried for squirrels... It had gigantic kernels and tasted like wood.. burned wood come to think of it... Definately field corn... Maybe what they make biofuels out of...

My husband couldn't believe it when I made corn at Thanksgiving (right after he got here)... he had never eaten it steamed with butter (off the cob)... He just kept eating it... and said THIS IS SOOOOO GOOD... but as soon as his friends started cremating it... he was right in there with them... Go figure...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i think in syria they over cook the meat also. its all hard and dry. even once my husband cooked lamb kabobs outside on the grill here and they were over done.

we had corn on the cob from one of those street venders also in syria. it smelled so good i had to get one. it had no taste what so ever. i think it must have been in the hot water all day and cooked out the flavoring.

Timeline

You were lucky it was boiled (even if it was tasteless) the corn they gave me in Egypt almost broke my front teeth off trying to take a single bite! Besides being dry and hard the kernels were so deep that trying to get to the cob was almost impossible... I thing gnawing was more what one would have to do to eat it!

Still can't get my husband to put butter on corn... (or about anything else)... but for the sake of our teeth we'll not be grilling any "Egyptian style" corn... :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
You were lucky it was boiled (even if it was tasteless) the corn they gave me in Egypt almost broke my front teeth off trying to take a single bite! Besides being dry and hard the kernels were so deep that trying to get to the cob was almost impossible... I thing gnawing was more what one would have to do to eat it!

Still can't get my husband to put butter on corn... (or about anything else)... but for the sake of our teeth we'll not be grilling any "Egyptian style" corn... :D

The first time I made regular kernal corn not on the cob with butter and salt I put it on the table and my husband just sat there kind of mortified. I said what's up? He said nothing...he would continue to eat and then look at the corn. LOL...he said this is what they feed the animals in EG. I said well hot dog they are getting fed better than some of the people then huh? I had to make a joke out of it but he will not eat corn to this day cut off of the cob! :rofl:

Edited by Aymsgirl

Timeline

The first time I made regular kernal corn not on the cob with butter and salt I put it on the table and my husband just sat there kind of mortified. I said what's up? He said nothing...he would continue to eat and then look at the corn. LOL...he said this is what they feed the animals in EG. I said well hot dog they are getting fed better than some of the people then huh? I had to make a joke out of it but he will not eat corn to this day cut off of the cob! :rofl:

Tooooooooooooo funny! H thinks it's the GREATEST! Grabs his Egyptian style "spoon/shovel" and goes for it! I wonder if there are any Egyptians that use forks? I sat and watched him cut a STEAK with a knife and a spoon tonight! Sooooooooooooooo strange.....

Timeline

This is not just in Egypt, this is all over the Middle East. This is really a good question...I'd love to know the answer.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Today was my 2nd time to eat this garlic creamed white sauce. Does anyone know the name of it and the recipe? Its just white, made with garlic and really creamy usually used to dip in chicken?

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline
Today was my 2nd time to eat this garlic creamed white sauce. Does anyone know the name of it and the recipe? Its just white, made with garlic and really creamy usually used to dip in chicken?

ahh, nm after googling I found the answer with a youtube video and picture of the end result!

http://www.gomideast.com/articles/recipes/garlicsauce.htm

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Going back a few posts to recipes using lentils...this is a wonderful filling and aromatic soup that we like to eat. Kamel helped me develop this recipe from one his mom would fix for him in Algeria.

Shawrbat Adas Maa Banadoura

Ingredients:

1 c. dry lentils

2 carrots, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

1 med turnip, chopped

2 cloves garlic

1 med onion, chopped

1 med potato, chopped

½ lb cubed beef or lamb, cut into small pieces

2 T. oil

2 T. ground cumin

1 tsp. ground black pepper

salt to taste

1 t. garlic powder

1 t. onion powder

4 c. water

1 small can tomato paste

Instructions:

Brown meat and carmelize onions in oil in a large stockpot on med-high heat. Add your water and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook on med-low to simmer for about an hour. If you see that you need more water, feel free to add some. You will be thickening the base with the tomato paste the last few minutes before serving, so don't be shy. After your meat is tender and the lentils are done, add your tomato paste and stir to incorporate it into the liquid. Your soup will thicken as it simmers. After a low simmer for about another 10 minutes your soup is ready to eat with some nice crusty French bread. Mmmmmm.

myrecipepictures-4.jpg

This is a pic I took from the last time I cooked it to send to Kamel's mom Fatma. :star:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi all!

First off in my home country, we never ate corn on the cob, as Aymsgirl said was considered animal feed. I ate it first time in the US. Damn good too!

In MENA, they burn the hell out of the corn since the corn isn't sweet corn, buuut the one used for making cornmeal ... it's hard and not sweet at all.

And the Algerian soup recipe isn't Algerian at all ... it's Lebanese/Syrian. And soup in Algeria similar to that would be Chourba Addes ... tomatoes are tomatich not banadoura FYI.

Cast iron tajine is the best ... I have tried them all. Here I have bought a SEB brand but LeCrueset is probably better.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

That soup looks like the Moroccan Harira

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.