Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Haloumi cheese - anyone know where I might be able to find this? I've tried Arab groceries....no luck....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

no arab groceries had it? what about any greek groceries? do they have those in DC? or a gourmet market? even whole foods should have it! if i can find it here in OC, you should be able to find it there! LOL!!!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I'm going to try the Greek Grocery today. If I can't do that then Whole Foods I guess....hmm I should just call..

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ah, I found several recipes from my Varied Kitchens of India cookbook online

http://recipes.wuzzle.org/index.php/61

I've been going through the Tibetan section of the book and was surprised to see how much tamarind was being used. I always associate tamarind with the MENA and the Phillipines, but wasn't aware it was used in south/central asian cooking.

Another recipe online from the book is Chicken and Potato Curry (Murgi Aloo Kari) - at the bottom of the article.

It looks like it's available cheapest from a muslim bookstore - http://www.halalco.com/cookbook.html - although I didn't have a good experience when I ordered from halalco 6 years ago. Perhaps they've gotten better with time?

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

LOL Halalco is down the street from me! I could pick it up and mail it to you!

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
VP did you ever find that date syrup you were looking for?

I went to this arab food store and seen two kinds one from syria and one from iraq. One was in a can and one in a bottle and I thought about you and wondered if you ever found it????

Yes I did! Thank you for thinking of me :luv:

A VJ angel sent me two big jars :D and I've had aseeda rub twice since then :blush: This brand is from Lebanon and it's excellent :thumbs: I guess Lebanon has many great things to offer :luv:

Now in Egypt we bought it in a can not a jar and I didn't look at the can but I'm assuming it was Egyptian but I guess it's very possible it was imported from elsewhere.

The first time I made it here we had WAY too much because it's just me and my two kids and we all eat like birds. Well, my son is getting to a point where he's eating more than us... turning into a man :angry: doesn't he know he's supposed to stay my baby forever????? :blush::P

Lebanon has lots of great things...

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ K-1¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 07/05/06 - Met Hayz online by accident

~ 03/30/08 - Packet sent to VSC

~ 04/22/08 - NOA1 issued - Yeah they took it this time

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 07/25/08 - Touch (showed about 1pm on the USCIS site)

~ 07/25/08 - NOA2 sent (must have been later in the day - noticed it on 7/26)

~ 09/10/08 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED ! ! ! !

~ 09/12/08 - VISA RECEIVED

~ 10/17/08 - Arrival in the USA (JFK POE)

~ 10/31/08 - MARRIED! ! !

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ AOS¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 03/26/09 - Sent AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

~ 03/27/09 - AOS packet signed for by V BUSTAMANTE

~ 04/02/09 - NOA for AOS/ EAD / Travel Doc

~ 04/03/09 - Check cashed

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

~ 04/20/09 - Transferred to CSC

~ 04/25/09 - Transfer notice received in the mail

~ 04/27/09 - Arrived at CSC

~ 05/09/09 - Employment Auth / Travel Document Approved

~ 05/12/09 - AP approved - without an interview

~ 05/23/09 - Welcome letter received

~ 06/05/09 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED! ! !

~ 09/11/11 - DIVORCE - DIVORCE - DIVORCE

Timeline

Anyone else's spouse an okra fan? If so, I have an excellent recipe for beef and okra from my Varied Kitchens of India cookbook that I can type out and post here. The husband gives is :thumbs::thumbs:

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

MrsAmera, where do u live? Maybe I can help.

My husband hates okra ... LOL good since I donnot like it really myself. One food I donnot have to cook LOL!

I started a food blog : http://fierypaprika.blogspot.com/ It's not much now ... new but will keep me busy.

Timeline

i live in washington dc (well just outside in northern va).

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

From my favorite cookbook, Varied Kitchens of India

Piaju, Two-Lentil Fritters

1 cup yellow lentils/chana ka dal

1/2 cup red lentils/eygptian

1/2 t crushed fresh ginger root - I just used powder

1 small garlic clove, crushed to a paste - used garlic powder

1/2 t chopped fresh hot chili - don't keep chilis on hand, so used chili powder

1/2 t ground turmeric

1/2 t salt

2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)

1 T fresh coriander - didn't have this, so I threw in some ground coriander seeds. Next time I may use parsley

1 c oil for frying - I used probably 1/3 c

1. Soak the yellow and red lentils separately in water for 4 hours. Drain. Crush them to a coarse paste in a processor.

2. Mix the lentils and the gingerroot, garlic, chili, turmeric, salt, onions and coriander together - I divided the lentils in half and put half the ingredients in with each half into the food processor

3. Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over moderate heat. Take 1 heaping T of the lentil mixture and shape into a 2 inch fritter about 3/8 inch thick. Continue to shape firtters with the rest of the mixture. Brown them in oil for about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels

Serve warm with lemon wedges - I just squeezed lemon juice into a bowl. Mmm, tasty.

When I make these again, I'll only make up what we're going to eat just then. They're not as good reheated.

100_1350.jpg

100_1351.jpg

irhal.jpg

Timeline

http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/baking/rec..._plum_tart.htmlEveryday Baking . Recipes . Rustic Plum Tart | Everyday Food | PBS

I couldn't find any plums at the store, so I substituted 1 16 oz package frozen peaches and 1/2 16 oz package frozen strawberries. This ended up making too much filling, so I baked some filling by itself, which was very tasty.

Mine doesn't look as pretty as the Martha Stewart picture, but it was delicious.

100_1314.jpg

irhal.jpg

Timeline

And these are some appetizers I threw together recently. Belgian endives topped with home made hummus, tuna mixed with sweet curry powder and topped with a calamata olive. Don't use the first 4 or 5 leaves from the endives, as they're a bit too bitter

100_1306.jpg

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.