Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Sfinj - anyone have a recipe for Moroccan Doughnuts? You know the kind that vendors sell on strings?? I want to surprise hubby tonight!

Oh that sounds so yummy. I'd like to make some too!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

sfinges

1 package active dry yeast

1/2 tsp sugar

4 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

veg oil for frying

powdered sugar (or regular sugar) for dusting *optional though. they don't usually do this in morocco. the ones with sugar on them are called "beignets".

sprinkle yeast and sugar over 1/4 cup warm water. stir, cover, and let set in a warm place until bubbling and doubled in volume.

combine flour and salt. make a well in center and pour in yeast and enough lukewarm water to make a stiff dough. knead well until smooth and elastic.

place a bowl of lukewarm water by your side. gradually add water to the dough by sprinkling 2-3 tbsp on the table, covering it with the dough. punch it with your fists to absorb the water. turn the dough over and repeat. wet your hands as your work, continuously adding water until it looks spongy and sticky. pick the dough up and begin to slap it down many times to loosen it up. continue adding water by tablespoon fulls until the dough is so elastic that it moves with the movement of your hands en masse as you raise it and slap it again. place in a bowl to rest, cover, and leave for an hour to its doubled in volume.

heat oil in a skillet to a depth of 2-1/2 inches. heat to 400.

form a small ball. punch a hole in the center and let it fall loose to form a "bracelet", and then put it in the hot oil. fry 4-5 at a time, turning them over just once. drain on paper towels.

then you can sprinkle in sugar or leave them plain.

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
sfinges

1 package active dry yeast

1/2 tsp sugar

4 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

veg oil for frying

powdered sugar (or regular sugar) for dusting *optional though. they don't usually do this in morocco. the ones with sugar on them are called "beignets".

sprinkle yeast and sugar over 1/4 cup warm water. stir, cover, and let set in a warm place until bubbling and doubled in volume.

combine flour and salt. make a well in center and pour in yeast and enough lukewarm water to make a stiff dough. knead well until smooth and elastic.

place a bowl of lukewarm water by your side. gradually add water to the dough by sprinkling 2-3 tbsp on the table, covering it with the dough. punch it with your fists to absorb the water. turn the dough over and repeat. wet your hands as your work, continuously adding water until it looks spongy and sticky. pick the dough up and begin to slap it down many times to loosen it up. continue adding water by tablespoon fulls until the dough is so elastic that it moves with the movement of your hands en masse as you raise it and slap it again. place in a bowl to rest, cover, and leave for an hour to its doubled in volume.

heat oil in a skillet to a depth of 2-1/2 inches. heat to 400.

form a small ball. punch a hole in the center and let it fall loose to form a "bracelet", and then put it in the hot oil. fry 4-5 at a time, turning them over just once. drain on paper towels.

then you can sprinkle in sugar or leave them plain.

MMMMM... this was one of the first things my MIL made for me when I arrived on my 1st trip to Maroc! I woke up from my jetlag nap and she served me these w/ some tea. :luv:

Edited by ME~n~HIM

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Well if you want to try Egyptian, Koshari is pretty darn easy!

There's a recipe for it in this thread somewhere but off the top of my head here is what I do:

Ingredients:

1 cup basmati, jasmine or similar rice

chili mac pasta (I use about 1/2 a box)

1 cup lentils

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup olive oil (depending on your waistline at the moment ;) )

1 can Pastene ground crushed tomatoes (ready to eat)

1 can French's Onion Rings

8 cloves garlic (or 4 big ones)

2 tbsp white vinegar

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp cumin (or more to taste)

salt and pepper

1 lemon

hot sauce

I am making this tonight :D I am sure it will be DELICIOUS!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Tell me how you liked it!!!

Ok this isn't a middle eastern recipe but I was sick of making the same old chicken soup for iftar so I tried this one from Rachel Ray (you either love her or hate her lol) and we both LOVE it!!!! Just a few notes though, instead of putting the crumbled chips into the soup pot I put them in the soup after it's in the bowl so that there's no soggy chips in the soup the next day when we have leftovers. Also I have ruined too many pans by trying to blacken this that or the other thing so I nuked 2 cups of corn, squeezed out the excess water with some paper towels, mixed it with the vegetable oil and put it in the oven at 450 for a while until it got burnt. I put the peppers in the oven too but I didn't peel the char off like it says since I love the flavor. Saves on pans and doesn't spray oil all over your stovetop. This is definitely a keeper though and the chipotle adobe peppers along with the blackened corn and peppers give it such a good taste!

Why-the-Chicken-Crossed-the-Road Santa Fe-Tastic Tortilla SoupPrep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: 0 min Cook Time: 25 min Level:

Easy Serves:

4 servings Vegetable or corn oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons -- 2 turns of the pot in a slow stream

3 ears corn on the cob or 2 ears fresh-frozen cobs, defrosted

1 red bell pepper, split and seeded

1 pound chicken breast tenders

1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/3 palm full

1 teaspoon cumin, 1/3 palm full

Salt and pepper

1 small to medium zucchini, small dice

1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 to 2 chipotle in adobo peppers (medium to hot heat level), chopped -- available in small cans in Mexican and Spanish food section of market

1 can stewed tomatoes, 28 ounces

1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces

3 cups chicken stock, available in re-sealable paper containers on soup aisle

4 cups blue corn tortilla chips, broken up into large pieces

1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper Jack cheese

1/2 cup sour cream

Optional garnishes:

1/4 red raw onion, chopped

2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley leaves

1 ripe avocado, diced and dressed with the juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat a grill pan to high and a soup pot to medium high. Drizzle oil on corn and place on grill. Add red pepper to grill with corn. Char vegetables 10 minutes, total, turning occasionally. Remove to cool, 5 minutes. Remove charred skin from the pepper.

While vegetables cook, dice chicken. Add 2 tablespoons oil to hot soup pot. Add chicken to pot. Season with poultry seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper. Lightly brown chicken on each side. Add zucchini, onions and garlic and chipotle peppers. Cook vegetables with chicken 5 to 7 minutes to soften. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock. Bring soup to a bubble, reduce heat to medium low.

Scrape corn off cob and add to soup. Chop grilled red pepper and stir into soup. Add chips to soup in handfuls and fold in. Serve soup immediately with scatter of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Top with any or all of the suggested garnishes.

For dessert after this I made this thing that we had in Cairo one time which is ending up to be a favorite once/week for us:

Ingredients:

1 banana

3 tbsp nutella

2 flour tortillas, (i use the smaller ones)

1 tbsp butter

Directions:

slice up banana. Take one tortilla and spread 1 1/2 tbsp (or more :devil: ) on one side and place 1/2 the banana slices on the other side, fold in half and do the same with the other tortilla. Melt butter in pan and fry the tortillas until the nutella looks like it's melted. Cut up into pieces and enjoy! Last night I put some Ben and Jerry's Cinnamon Roll ice cream on top and it was sooooo gooood!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I made dawali (Stuffed grape leaves) and cabbage rolls tonight for dinner...they were ammmazing!!!

my masterpieces

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/dol...01/HPIM1154.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/dol...01/HPIM1153.jpg

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I made dawali (Stuffed grape leaves) and cabbage rolls tonight for dinner...they were ammmazing!!!

my masterpieces

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/dol...01/HPIM1154.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/dol...01/HPIM1153.jpg

Kelz, those look nummy!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Noura,

They were, i actually made stuffed peppers too...Im taking them to my grandpa tomorrow...It was his favorite dish my grandma cooked, and since she passed in july, he has been wanting it, I figured it was the least i could do

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What a sweet granddaughter you are. I am sure he will be so happy you thought of him. It's so hard to lose your life long companion.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My sister gave me a north african cookbook as a wedding present. Unfortunately, NA cooking isn't egyptian cooking, so I haven't used it very much. Howeva, I did use an awesome recipe for squash soup. Soooooooooooo tasty and sooooo healthy.

http://www.cookingcache.com/soupsand/squas....shtml?rdid=rc1

I haven't made the mint puree, and I've used fresh butternut squash both times I've made the recipe. Freakin delicious!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Tell me how you liked it!!!

It was really good :yes: Halfway through Dh was like "wow I didn't even realize there was no meat" :lol: So it was a hit! Thanks. Keep those recipes coming :star:

I'm so glad you liked it!!! There are other ways to make it too. Some put vermicelli in it, some add chick peas, etc. You can get creative with it but OMG it's so good that I actually crave it some nights!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.