Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
you know i can't find any safron for the life of me!!!

You should be able to find it in most Arabic/Int'l stores. You might also find it in Mexican grocers. Some of your more "upscale" groceries should have it too. You might have to ask for it. We use it a lot. Let me know if you still can't find it & I can send you some from one of the stores here. :star:

We have one arabic store close to us, and nothing. I even went to the indian store and nothing there. its like no body uses it here, but i don't understand. I've heard its very expensive? Let me know what the cost would be. thanks.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You should be able to find it in most Arabic/Int'l stores. You might also find it in Mexican grocers. Some of your more "upscale" groceries should have it too. You might have to ask for it. We use it a lot. Let me know if you still can't find it & I can send you some from one of the stores here. :star:

We have one arabic store close to us, and nothing. I even went to the indian store and nothing there. its like no body uses it here, but i don't understand. I've heard its very expensive? Let me know what the cost would be. thanks.

Terrie, have you checked in the spice department of your local grocery store? That's where I have always found saffron. Yes it's very expensive here in the states, but ohhhh what a flavor!! Good luck!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Timeline

I made pizza last night :star:

Jay's Signature Pizza Crust

It's definately enough for 2 12 inch pizzas. I have one of those pizza pans that fits a frozen pizza. I stuck all the dough on there and woh, puffy pizza. Next time, I'm going to divide it in half. I prebaked the crust for 10 minutes at 325 before I topped it and baked it for 15 minutes at 425.

I used a pesto base, and then sprinked it with kalamate olives and chunks of the soft egyptian cheese. Note to self, soft egyptian cheese does not melt. Ah well, it was still tasty, even if it was puffy.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Terrie, have you checked in the spice department of your local grocery store? That's where I have always found saffron. Yes it's very expensive here in the states, but ohhhh what a flavor!! Good luck!

I've check every store i go into for saffron. I just can't find it here!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That really is odd, it is at all of the stores by me. I don't know the exact price, but I remember that it was in the same bottle as other spices for about the same price. I didn't think that was too horrible until I opened the bottle and saw a little piece of paper wrapped around a few strands. Ummmm...I don't think I will use it often for that price!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

COWBOY CAVIAR (or TEXAS caviar, or SOUTHERN caviar)

1 can black beans or black eyed peas, rinsed and drained well

I can corn, some kind of crisp one like niblets or summerfresh (I have also used a couple of ears of fresh corn,its better if you can find it in season but if not the canned is fine)

2 or 3 ripe tomatoes

1 or 2 avocados

4 or 5 green onions sliced thin, both the white and part of the green

about 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste - we love it so I use a lot)

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup good vinegar ( I love vinegar so I usually use a combination of any of these: balsamic, apple cider, red wine, rice wine, white balsamic, etc. any of the above)

1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced very fine or through a garlic press

salt and pepper

splash or two of good hot sauce (tapatio or tabasco or whatever you have around)

combine the beans, corn, cilantro, onions, chopped tomatoes (seeded if you want) in a big bowl or tupperware. whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, hot sauce and salt/pepper and pour it over. its best if you can let it sit at this point for a few hours while stirring it every so often. about an hour before serving chop up the avocados and stir them in, they dissolve a litle bit and add some creaminess. taste it and add salt, pepper, vinegar, hot sauce to taste.

we usually eat this as a dip with tortilla chips but we've also used it as a chunky salsa topping for grilled fish, chicken and portabello mushrooms.

I would strongly advise doubling the recipe because its pretty addictive. also, the salting is tricky so be careful. the raw veggies need some salt for sure but if you are going to eat it with chips then you have to keep in mind they have their own saltiness.

I've made it many times with black beans and also with black eyed peas, whichever one I am eating at the time seems like the better one so it really doesnt matter at all, just personal preference :)

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

OUR FAVORITE PASTA SALAD

1/2 pound orzo, cooked and then run under cold water to cool

1 seeded and thinly sliced yellow, orange, or red pepper (I prefer yellow mainly for the color :) )

I cucumber, peeled, seeded chopped (either english or regular, I've used both)

8 oz. crumbled feta

about 1/2 a cup craisins

1 or 2 cups of a green vegetable - either green beans or peas. frozen peas are fine, just run under cold water to thaw. green beans you should use fresh, cut them into 1 inch pieces and throw them in with the pasta for the last 4 or 5 minutes of cooking

salt and pepper

half a bottle or so of your favorite vinagrette salad dressing - last time I used Brianna's New American vinagrette and it was AWESOME

throw it all together and let it sit for a while, then check for seasoning. I usually end up splashing on extra vinegar and some more salt and pepper a couple of hours after I made the salad.

sometimes before serving I sprinkly on some toasted pine nuts but I dont like to add it to the whole bowl because they get soggy.

this pasta salad cannot last at our house. We all love it.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Have you asked at the stores in your area, or just looked on the shelves? The Arabic stores around here all have it, but they keep it up front locked up.

Next best thing is to have your SO's family mail you some! :)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Have you asked at the stores in your area, or just looked on the shelves? The Arabic stores around here all have it, but they keep it up front locked up.

Oh yea! I forgot about that.... I always ask for it at the counter. And it has gone up in price recently... lol - the clerk told me it's like "gold" - it was $3 now it's $6! :blink:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh yea! I forgot about that.... I always ask for it at the counter. And it has gone up in price recently... lol - the clerk told me it's like "gold" - it was $3 now it's $6! :blink:

My sister actually grows the flower that produces the saffron. I've never tasted it myself though.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

I promised Noura I"d post my lamb shank recipe.....prep takes a little time but then it's so easy and soooo worth it!!!

Lamb Shanks

Ingredients:

2 lamb shanks (my store only sells them in twos but you could just do one if you want)

3 carrots

3 onions

3 celery stalks

5 garlic cloves

3 potatoes, peeled

water

garlic powder

onion powder

salt

pepper

cajun spice

pinch of tarragon

2 bay leaves

cinnamon

cumin

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drizzle olive oil to coat metal pan. Place on stove burner and put on high. Place the 2 lamb shanks in the pan and burn the heck out of them to sear the meat...takes about 5 minutes and smokes up the whole house so whip those smoke alarm batteries out before hand. (but don't forget to put them back after).

Put lamb aside and cut in half carrots, onions, celery, garlic cloves and potatoes. Add veggies to shanks and fill pan with water about 2 inches. Sprinkle with all of the spices (sorry I don't measure just do what feels right), add the bay leaves cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 for 3 1/2 hours. Then take foil off and bake for another 1/2 hour. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

I totally forgot to post the date bread recipe before Ramadan. :blush:

I got this from here to give credit where credit is due. Only thing I will warn you about is DO NOT THROW OUT LIQUID AFTER SOAKING DATES....THAT LIQUID SHOULD BE COMBINED WITH THE OTHER INGREDIENTS. I learned that one the hard way. :( Also I only use 2 cups of water now since 2 1/4 made it too goey. My husband loves eating this with eggs and fuul for suhoor.

Date Nut Bread

Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 1 Hour 40 Minutes

Yields: 24 servings are they serious???? About 8 servings in my house! lol

"This is a moist, dense date bread with your choice of nuts -walnuts or pecans, almonds or hazelnuts."

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and

chopped

2 1/4 cups boiling water

3 teaspoons baking soda

1 cup chopped walnuts

2 cups white sugar 3 tablespoons margarine

2 eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon salt

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine baking soda with the boiling water. Soak the dates in the water and baking soda solution for 30 minutes.

2. Cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs, vanilla, dates, nuts, flour, and salt.

3. Divide batter equally between two 9 x 5 (or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2) inch greased loaf pans. Bake 1 hour at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) (or until loaf tests done). Can be frozen when cool.

Timeline

We have a new favorite dessert in our household, beingets. OMgosh, so freakin tasty!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beignets/Detail.aspx

I halved the recipe, because I couldn't imagine how many one could make if you added 7 cups of flour.

I had these years ago when I visited New Orleans and my craving for them was recently re-ignited. We were suppose to have a hearing down in NOLA. I was going to ask the lawyers to bring me back of beinget mix, but the hearing got canceled. Thus, had to find out how to make it on my own. It was really quite easy.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.