1 pound ground beef

I small onion chopped

1 Cauliflower

3-4 eggs

2 Tablespoons flour

Cooking oil

Salt and pepper

2 cups tomato juice

Brown ground beef and onion, seasoning (salt, pepper) and set aside.

Remove core and leaves from cauliflower and slice into ‘trees,’ about ¼" – ½’ thick.

You may blanch the cauliflower if you prefer a softer cauliflower, or leave it raw.

Prepare a thin batter by beating together eggs, flour, seasoning and 3-4 tablespoons water. Dip the cauliflower slices into the batter and fry lightly until nicely brown. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.

Add 1 cup of tomato juice to the ground beef. If you want a spicier taste, use either one if the seasoned V8 juices, or add hot pepper sauce to your tomato sauce. You could also use spaghetti sauce, although it will result in a thicker consistency. Grease a casserole or baking dish. Layer as follows: cauliflower, ground beef, cauliflower. Pour the remaining juice over the moussaka and bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.

Egyptian Chicken & Pasta Corniche

With the rich flavors of the Mediterranean in this dish, you can imagine yourself sitting al fresco along the corniche in Alexandria, watching the boats in the harbor, as you enjoy this tasty dish!

1 large chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skinned, about 5 pounds ( or 5 pounds of skinless, bone-in chicken breasts if you prefer all white meat)

1 Tb. olive oil

2 large onions, finely chopped

2-3 garlic cloves, mashed

2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (roma tomatoes are good for this)

1/2 c. dry red wine

1 Tb. wine vinegar

3 whole cloves

2 bay leaves

pinch paprika

pinch cinnamon

1 lb. pasta noodles, such as macaroni or other shaped pasta

1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesean

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

-Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot and brown the chicken in batches, over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set aside.

-Add the onions and garlic and saute', stirring occasionally or until softened.

-Add 1 2/3 c. water, tomatoes, wine, vinegar, cloves, bay leaves, paprika and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Add chicken, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear, about 45 minutes.

-Remove the chicken and keep warm. Remove the bay leaves and cloves from the sauce and discard. Skim the fat from the sauce and set sauce aside.

-Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain and stir into the sauce and heat through. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve pasta with grated parmesan and with the chicken.

Serves 8.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Tabouli Chicken Casserole

Bulgur consists of wheat grains that have been hulled, steamed until partly cooked and then ground. Available in fine and coarse grades, it is a popular grain for Middle Eastern and Mediterranean salads.

I found this recipe in a small cookbook of recipes from the National Chicken Cooking Contest of 1993, which is sponsored here in the USA by the National Broiler Council. A basic tabouli salad is transformed into an elegant, main course luncheon or dinner salad. I used rice as an accompaniment to the casserole, in case my daughter, the resident picky eater didn’t care for the tabouli, but she loved it!

1 cut up broiler-fryer chicken

2 cans (6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts, drained

1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained

1 can (15 oz.) chopped, crushed or diced tomatoes.

3 medium carrots, coarsely grated

½ cup chicken broth

¼ cup white wine

1 Tb. fresh chopped mint

1 Ts. chopped garlic

1 cup bulgur

1 Tb. finely grated lemon peel

2 Tb. Corn starch

4 Tb. Cold water

¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

¼ cup chopped fresh cucumbers

Grease large casserole dish. Place artichokes, chickpeas, tomatoes, carrots, chicken broth, wine, mint, garlic, bulgur and lemon peel in casserole dish. In small dish, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; add to vegetable mixture, stirring well. Place chicken on top. Bake, covered, in 350F oven for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until fork can be inserted into chicken with ease.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley and cucumbers.

Makes 6 servings.

Shorba Arnabeet Baladi

Spicy, Homestyle Cream of Cauliflower Soup

2 cups chicken broth

1 small onion, chopped

2 cups chopped cauliflower

Hot sauce to taste

2 tablespoons butter or margarine ( optional; omit for low fat)

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

ground pepper, salt to taste

1 cup low-fat milk

Combine the chicken broth, onion, cauliflower and hot sauce in a sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer until the vegetable bits are tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetable to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Repeat until all the cauliflower is smooth ( if you don't have a food processor, you can use a food mill or potato masher). In a separate saucepan or small skillet, melt the butter, add the flour and pepper and make a roux. Add the roux to the milk and stir well. Add the milk mixture to the soup ( in the original saucepan ); cook and stir until thickend and bubbly. Do not let the soup burn. Adjust seasonings to taste. Makes 3 or 4 servings.

Note: if you like hot spicy food, don't be afraid to add more hot sauce to the soup.

Egyptian Hindbeh for Ramadan

100 g dandelion flowers (Hindbeh)

40 g white onions

10 g garlic

20 ml olive oil

20 ml corn oil

1 g white pepper

2 g salt

4 slices onions, rings,crisp fried until golden brown

Instructions: 1. Boil the dandelion in water in a pot.

2. Heat oil in a skillet.

3. Toss in the garlic and onion and stir-fry until the raw smell of garlic is gone and the onion is light brown in colour.

4. Add the boiled dandelion and stir-dry till dry.

5. Transfer into a serving plate.

6. Serve topped with golden brown crisp fried onion rings.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Moroccan Crunch Chex Mix

11 cups mix, approx

1 hour 5 minutes (5 min prep, 1 hr cooking)

Here's a nice change from the regular Chex Mix - you can make it savory or sweet by including the honey or not. :) Enjoy!

Ingredient: 1/2 cup butter

1 teaspoon seasoning salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon dried mint (optional)

4 cups corn chex

3 cups rice chex

1–2 cup Wheat Chex cereal, to preference

2 cups almonds

1 cup cashew pieces

1 tablespoon sesame seeds

1 cup combination of chopped dried fruits, currants,and/or raisins

3 tablespoons finely minced crystallized ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger

3 tablespoons honey, if desired

Directions: 1. Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

2. Melt the butter in a large roasting pan in the hot oven, then stir in the seasonings.

3. Stir in the dry cereals and nuts until it's all evenly coated.

4. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

5. Stir in the sesame seeds, dried fruits, and ginger.

6. Drizzle with honey and stir well; let cool.

7. Store in airtight container.

8. Makes 10 1/2 cups Chex Mix snack.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

PBS's Cooking Academy is the bane of my existence during Ramadan, but at least I get good ideas for iftar.

Turkish Beef Kabob

Unfortunately, there was a great recipe for a south african hamburger that was done in a coconut sauce, but the recipe isn't on the website :crying:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I thought maybe this recipe might be similar to the south african one you saw on PBS. Enjoy :)

Lion's Head Meatballs in Spicy Coconut Sauce

These spicy meatballs are called "Lion's Head" because of their large size. Also, lions are believed to ward off evil. You can make the meatballs a day or two ahead, store them covered in the refrigerator, and heat them in the sauce before serving. Decrease the red pepper for a milder flavor.

Ingredients

SAUCE:

1/2 cup light coconut milk

1/2 cup soy milk

2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger

2 teaspoons minced hot red chile pepper

1 tablespoon chopped green onions

2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce

MEATBALLS:

1 pound ground round

1/3 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon dark sesame oil

1 teaspoon minced hot red chile pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1 tablespoon grated lemon rind

Preparation

To prepare sauce, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.

To prepare meatballs, combine ground round and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl, and shape mixture into 8 meatballs. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook 7 minutes, browning on all sides. Drain well.

Place sauce in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Garnish with basil and rind.

Yield

8 servings (serving size: 1 meatball and 3 tablespoons sauce)

PBS's Cooking Academy is the bane of my existence during Ramadan, but at least I get good ideas for iftar.

Turkish Beef Kabob

Unfortunately, there was a great recipe for a south african hamburger that was done in a coconut sauce, but the recipe isn't on the website :crying:

Edited by MarocAmer

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I thought maybe this recipe might be similar to the south african one you saw on PBS. Enjoy :)

Lion's Head Meatballs in Spicy Coconut Sauce

Mmm, those look quite tasty, and I have everything but the fish sauce and chilis. Since the husband doesn't like chilis anyways, I think I"ll try to make it with what I have on hand. Thanks!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Woo, all the recipes look so good! Can't wait to try out some of them soon.. :)

ahlawy.jpg

l9v9m4.png

807bc02469.gif

"The believers, in their love, mutual kindness, and close ties, are like one body; when any part complains, the whole body responds to it with wakefulness and fever." [Muslim]

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." Henry David Thoreau

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I want harrira..... where's a good redcipe???? I guess I have to flip through 48 pages to find it huh? :bonk:

Edited by Mrs. Forgetful

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would like a simple recipe for Ba stilla. Chicken preferably.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

I have a great b'stilla recipe.... I'll post it tonight for you! I use cornish hens instead of chicken though. It takes a little time, but it's simple enough. I always get compliments.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

11/21/06- EAD approved

Timeline

I just pm'd you my recipe. It's always a hit! OH - and just for the record - I've been to 2 Moroccan restaurants and had their b'stilla. It was a sore disappointment. Mine is far better!

I'll post it here too, just in case anyone else is wondering. I've posted it before, but here it is again:

B'STILLA

Filling -

2T veg oil (I use olive)

1 onion finely chopped

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

1/4 C minced fresh flat leaf parsley

2 T minced fresh cilantro (I use a bit more)

1/4 t ground turmeric

8 threads saffron, crushed

1 C water

1 t ground ginger

1 1/4 t ground cinnamon

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1 t salt

1/2 t pepper

2/3 C powdered sugar

Almond mixture -

1/2 C whole blanched almonds (I used split almonds)

1/2 C powdered sugar

1 t ground cinnamon

12 sheets phyllo dough, thawed

1 C (2 sticks) butter, melted (I completely skip this and used spray butter stuff)

ground cinnamon & powdered sugar for garnish

Filling: In a large saucepan over med heat, heat the oil. Saute' onion until golden (6-8 min). Add chicken, parsley, cilantro, turmeric, saffron, water, ginger, & cinnamon. Cover & cook until the chicken is tender (20-25 min). Transfer chicken to a bowl or plate and set aside to cool. Let the sauce continue to simmer in the pan and add the beaten eggs, salt, pepper, & sugar. Stir constantly until the eggs are scrambled. Shred the chicken & add it to the egg mixture. Set aside.

Almond mixture: In a blender or food processor, coarsely grind the almonds and mix w/ sugar & cinnamon. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Remove 12 sheets of phyllo from the pkg and re wrap the remaining phyllo in its original wrap. Refrigerate for future use.

Stack the 12 sheets on a work surface and cover w/ a damp towel. Spray a little butter on a pizza pan or baking sheet. Layer 3 sheets of phyllo, lightly spraying each layer w/ butter. Sprinkle the 3rd sheet evenly w/ 1/2 of the almond mixture. Layer & butter 3 more sheets. Spread the chicken mixture evenly over the top, leaving a 1 1/2" border of phyllo. Fold over the edges to partially cover the chicken mixture. Layer & butter 3 more sheets over the chicken, sprinkling the remaining almond mixture evenly over the top. Layer & butter the last 3 sheets of phyllo over the almond mixture. Tuck the edges of the last 6 sheets under the b'stilla as you would a bed sheet (@ this point, I take another baking sheet and place it on top, then flip it over & seal the last 6 sheets of phyllo from bottom to top) - does that make sense?

Bake the b'stilla until golden brown (20-25 min). Place the powdered sugar in a fine-meshed sieve. Tap the sides of the sieve to cover the surface of the b'stilla lightly & evenly w/ sugar. Using thumb & forefinger, sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top (most people make patterns, I just lightly dust it). Serve immediately, before pastry becomes soggy.

**It took me a long time to finally make this b/c I thought it would be a really daunting task. It's not - it's a lot of steps, but it's really easy and didn't take as long as I thought.

Note: These can be prepared in advance and frozen uncooked in aluminum foil. It will keep up to 2 months in the freezer. No need to thaw before baking, but bake for 10 min extra if frozen.

**This makes about a 10" pie and easily serves 4 average plates.

Recipe from "Cooking at the Kasbah" by Kitty Morse (w/ some personal notes adapted in parentheses).

Edited by ME~n~HIM

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline

I CANT FIND MY B'STILLA RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying:

But I just found my Harira recipe! :dance:

Edited by Mrs. Forgetful

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

11/21/06- EAD approved

Timeline

Janine, the B'stilla recipe I posted above is awesome! :thumbs: Try it sometime and let me know what you think. If you find yours, post it too! :star:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Janine, the B'stilla recipe I posted above is awesome! :thumbs: Try it sometime and let me know what you think. If you find yours, post it too! :star:

you know i can't find any safron for the life of me!!!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline
you know i can't find any safron for the life of me!!!

You should be able to find it in most Arabic/Int'l stores. You might also find it in Mexican grocers. Some of your more "upscale" groceries should have it too. You might have to ask for it. We use it a lot. Let me know if you still can't find it & I can send you some from one of the stores here. :star:

BJsTm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.