1 small can tomato paste

1 onion diced uber fine

Garlic Salt to taste

2 T butter, melted

Grape leaves - rinsed

Broth - either chicken or vegetarian

2 T butter

Salt, Pepper to taste

Stir the first 5 ingredients together. Make sure to rinse the grape leaves well. If you don't, then they have a sour, acidic taste, like greek dolmas, which I really don't like.

Add a single spoonful (~Tablespoon, less if it's a small leaf). Don't overstuff. Again, I repeat, don't overstuff. The rice expands when it cooks, and if it's too full, your leaves will unfold.

To fold, follow these instructions:

How to Stuff Grape Leaves Step-by-Step with Photos - Basic Technique for Stuffing Grape Leaves

Then pack tightly at the bottom of a large pot. Pour broth over the grape leaves, enough to cover plus 1/2 inch. Add the second 2 T butter, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until broth is absorbed.

There are quite a few variations on the theme. You can use tomato sauce, or diced tomatos instead of the paste. You can throw in browned ground beef or lamb. Add different spices to taste. The sky's the lmiit.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
(L) One of my favorites!! Musakhkhan....This is a Palestinian dish...that I have seen prepared in varied ways...layering several layers or one single one...depends on the amount of people you are cooking for. You eat it with your hands...DIG IN! LOL SO Yummy :)(L)

Musakhkhan

Yield: Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

1-One cut up chicken into six pieces, or a combination of chicken legs and breasts. Or if you prefer just breasts of chicken...your choice. (Approx. 3 pounds)

2-One cup virgin Olive Oil

3-One pound or a bit more of large diced onions

4-Fried pine nuts for garnishing

5-One table spoon ground cardamom

6-Two table spoons Sumac

7-Salt and pepper to taste

8-Flat sheet bread, marquq or Taboon bread.

1. Cut the chicken into up into two breasts, two thighs, two legs, and two wings. Prepare it for cooking by washing, cleaning and drying. I add a little bit of lemon juice and olive oil to the chicken.

2. Sauté one medium diced onion, add the chicken, enough water to cover the chicken, cardamom, salt and pepper and boil over high heat and then let simmer until the chicken is done. I like it practically falling off the bone (if you use boned meat).

3. Add 1 cup olive oil to a casserole and cook the rest of the diced onions until translucent, this takes about 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sumac and cook for 2 minutes to mix. Do not over cook the onions, you do not want them burnt and you do not want them mushy.

4. While cooking the rest of the onions. Preheat the oven to 350F, remove the chicken from the pot, bake until golden brown.

5. Fry the pine nuts to a golden brown color. Make sure to watch them frying, they tend to burn quickly.

6. Cut up the bread or use it whole, and assemble in the serving platter. Add the first layer of the onion mix on top of the bread, add pine nuts. Repeat with another layer of bread, onions and pine nuts. It is up to you if you want to have one layer of bread and onions; I like to have two layers because the bread I use is very thin. At this point, add about half a cup of chicken stock if you feel that the bread is too dry.

7. Arrange the baked chicken on top and garnish with pine nuts. (A serving of bread, onions and pine nuts with each serving of chicken)

Toppings for each serving: Yogurt

Now this is the real deal !!! :thumbs:

Yum! this sounds so good... will have to try it soon!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Timeline

You should its seriously yummy! It's the first thing my cousins make when I arrive in Jordan!! Woohoo!

(L) One of my favorites!! Musakhkhan....This is a Palestinian dish...that I have seen prepared in varied ways...layering several layers or one single one...depends on the amount of people you are cooking for. You eat it with your hands...DIG IN! LOL SO Yummy :)(L)

Musakhkhan

Yield: Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

1-One cut up chicken into six pieces, or a combination of chicken legs and breasts. Or if you prefer just breasts of chicken...your choice. (Approx. 3 pounds)

2-One cup virgin Olive Oil

3-One pound or a bit more of large diced onions

4-Fried pine nuts for garnishing

5-One table spoon ground cardamom

6-Two table spoons Sumac

7-Salt and pepper to taste

8-Flat sheet bread, marquq or Taboon bread.

1. Cut the chicken into up into two breasts, two thighs, two legs, and two wings. Prepare it for cooking by washing, cleaning and drying. I add a little bit of lemon juice and olive oil to the chicken.

2. Sauté one medium diced onion, add the chicken, enough water to cover the chicken, cardamom, salt and pepper and boil over high heat and then let simmer until the chicken is done. I like it practically falling off the bone (if you use boned meat).

3. Add 1 cup olive oil to a casserole and cook the rest of the diced onions until translucent, this takes about 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sumac and cook for 2 minutes to mix. Do not over cook the onions, you do not want them burnt and you do not want them mushy.

4. While cooking the rest of the onions. Preheat the oven to 350F, remove the chicken from the pot, bake until golden brown.

5. Fry the pine nuts to a golden brown color. Make sure to watch them frying, they tend to burn quickly.

6. Cut up the bread or use it whole, and assemble in the serving platter. Add the first layer of the onion mix on top of the bread, add pine nuts. Repeat with another layer of bread, onions and pine nuts. It is up to you if you want to have one layer of bread and onions; I like to have two layers because the bread I use is very thin. At this point, add about half a cup of chicken stock if you feel that the bread is too dry.

7. Arrange the baked chicken on top and garnish with pine nuts. (A serving of bread, onions and pine nuts with each serving of chicken)

Toppings for each serving: Yogurt

Now this is the real deal !!! :thumbs:

Yum! this sounds so good... will have to try it soon!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I made this last night with zucchini, OMg delish!

Yellow Squash Fritters with Mint and Harissa

Recipe: Serves 4

- 1 pound small yellow squash, grated (You can use green zucchini as well)

- 2 cloves garlic, minced

- 2 eggs, lightly beaten

- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour

- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped

- ½ tsp cumin, freshly ground

- ½ tsp coriander seeds, freshly ground

- 1 tsp Harissa paste

- 10 mint leaves, chopped

- Salt and freshly ground black pepper

- Olive oil

Squeeze the grated yellow squash dry by wring it out in a towel. (Using a towel is the best way I’ve found to get rid of the excess water, which you can use to water your plants)

In a large bowl, combine the yellow squash with the rest of the ingredients. Heat a film of olive oil in a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. For each fritter, pour a generous tablespoon of the squash batter into the pan. Turn them over after the bottom turns golden. Cook on the other side until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve right away.

2739438477_72a2c34729.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

- 2 eggs, lightly beaten

- 1 tsp Harissa paste

- Olive oil

Squeeze the grated yellow squash dry by wring it out in a towel. (Using a towel is the best way I’ve found to get rid of the excess water, which you can use to water your plants)

In a large bowl, combine the yellow squash with the rest of the ingredients. Heat a film of olive oil in a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. For each fritter, pour a generous tablespoon of the squash batter into the pan. Turn them over after the bottom turns golden. Cook on the other side until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve right away.

This looks yummy, Henia ! And your timing is impeccable -- we are experiencing a yellow squash explosion in the garden. I may just have to make these tonight....

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

- 2 eggs, lightly beaten

- 1 tsp Harissa paste

- Olive oil

This looks yummy, Henia ! And your timing is impeccable -- we are experiencing a yellow squash explosion in the garden. I may just have to make these tonight....

OK I made these tonight, the results are in, and the verdict is -- a HIT ! :thumbs:

I didn't have harissa so I used a little picante sauce (salsa) instead; also I neglected to include the mint. But they were still delicious !

The part where the recipe says you can use the water squeezed out of the squash to water your plants made me laugh -- come on, it's not THAT much water ! And wringing out a wet towel over my schefflera seems a bit messy.

But I have a better way to squeeze the water out of the squash -- try a potato ricer (a gadget that looks kind of like a really big garlic press.) After struggling for several years to find a fast, simple way to squeeze spinach dry, I found this suggestion in a cooking magazine, and I am so glad I took their advice ! It's fantastically easy and it works better than anything else I've ever tried. I never even use it for potatoes, but I use it all the time to squeeze-dry spinach, squash, etc. I will never go back to squeezing veggies any other way ! (BTW I picked mine up for $9.99 at Target.)

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
But I have a better way to squeeze the water out of the squash -- try a potato ricer (a gadget that looks kind of like a really big garlic press.) After struggling for several years to find a fast, simple way to squeeze spinach dry, I found this suggestion in a cooking magazine, and I am so glad I took their advice ! It's fantastically easy and it works better than anything else I've ever tried. I never even use it for potatoes, but I use it all the time to squeeze-dry spinach, squash, etc. I will never go back to squeezing veggies any other way ! (BTW I picked mine up for $9.99 at Target.)

I've never used one of these and wondered what it really might be useful for! Thanks for the tip - cuz, you know, who "rices" potatoes anyway? :blink:

edit for spelling error

Edited by ME~n~HIM

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Sorry I didn't get a minute to reply until now....

Well...Lasani's was awesome & I'm SO glad you told me about it!!! Much thanks! I found so many things in there that I have been looking for...everything from henna to chopped pistachios to the kunafa food coloring...and lots of other very interesting things I want to try :). They didn't have the nabulsi cheese, but the guy called his supplier & ordered it for me on the spot! He said that if I stop back in a day or 2, they should have some in stock. :thumbs:

Soo...I made a trial run of the kunefe using a mixture of mozarella, ricotta, and half & half and it was very good! Not exactly like Antakya, but very good anyway. My kids and husband loved it. I can't wait to try it again with the correct cheese. Also, not sure if they do this anywhere else, but in Turkey, they serve the kunefe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Sooo delish!! :star:

Yes, you're right, it is Paterson LOL my bad....yes I love it there too. If only it weren't such a haul. One time we went up there in the winter, just after a fairly heavy snow. We stayed until after dark and got on the highway to come back home only to find the highway shut down because of ice! We totally lucked onto another route after driving aimlessly for an hour or so. As much as I love visiting there, I wasn't too happy over the prospect of having to spend the night... :blink:

Yeah, I know what you mean about Smyrna...there is a very small population but its definitely more "obscure" than other places. There is a Turkish family that owns Smyrna Pizza (they love Ozzy & give him free pizzas LOL...I sent him there to "buy" dinner last night), and I think a Pakistani guy who owns the 7-11, but that's it that I know of. Ozzy was really frustrated over the job search too. He did finally land a position in Sears, but he was/is just very frustrated in general about how slowly the wheels seem to move around here....

How is that going? I'm not sure how long your hubby has been here.. I thought about moving back to Smyrna to be closer to family, but I don't know... a town like Smyrna..... my arab husband named Jihed..... What do you think? :whistle::lol: Not that Middletown has been a lot better... Certainly hard to find work around here for him.

Pederson, NJ? Did you mean Paterson, NJ? We were talking about that just yesterday in another MENA thread! :lol: I love me some Paterson!! You are right.. It's totally "Little Turkey" or "Little Syria " or Little Egypt or Little Morocco.. Very heavy populations there and you can get anything you could get in a MENA country.

Can't wait to hear your update! I'm hoping that you can find it somewhere in Delaware.. Would certainly save a 2 hour or more drive to Paterson!! :) *fingers crossed for you*

Wow, we are leading parallel lives! I grew up in Middletown and my family still lives there etc. :)

Now that you mention the Dollar Store and the redneck bar, I know exactly where Lasani's is! I can picture the shopping center in my head LOL...guess that says a thing or 2 about me :)

Also good to know there is another halal meat place. Up until now, the butcher in Dover (I believe it's called Sameera?) is the only place in DE we have been able to find lamb...

When my husband first came here, we were driving 3+ hours up to Pederson, NJ to do our grocery shopping! There is a whole middle eastern section of town there complete with markets, butchers, restaurants, barbers, the whole works! Its really awesome but that drive sure got old fast. We'd pack the kids in the car and make a day of it...told them we were going to "little Turkey" LoL

Anyways, thanks a bunch & I'll give you an update tomorrow on how the great DE cheese hunt goes :D

Edited by tanyakaraman

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

mmmmm....that's making me hungry! I may just make that for dinner tonight! Thank you Henia :star:

- 2 eggs, lightly beaten

- 1 tsp Harissa paste

- Olive oil

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

WOOHOO!! I told you the big guy in Lasani's rocks my socks!! :lol: He really has anything you could want and if he doesn't he will order it! He's also a halal butcher so all the meat in there is 100% halal!! I am so glad that you found it and I think it will save you a lot of trips to Paterson. We save Paterson for special occasions because of the length of the drive and just go to Lasani for most other things. I don't know if your hubby likes spicy but he has the best Harissa I've found (Tunisian hot tomato paste like sauce) and his prices can't be beat for most things! Just be careful with some of the grains/rice/couscous I did find a small bug one time but in truth the bag was totally sealed ( I checked it ) so it must have gotten in there before he got it, so for that I can't totally blame him.

We are going to go up this weekend to get some things for Ramadan so I'll wave if I see you in there :lol:

Who hasn't gotten lost going to Paterson? :blush: Those roads are hopeless... I hate Jersey driving, but it's worth getting lost.

I only tried Smyrna Pizza one time and it was okay but I'm forever loyal to Bella Villa :lol: Ernesto and Tina are old school buddies so I have to go in there.. Jihed's in love with their food at Trevis I just wish it wasn't sooo expensive!! But Bella Villa is much cheaper and Momma knows my orders without me having to speak!! :thumbs:

There is supposed to be an Islamic society / mosque in Smyrna but I never checked it out? :unsure:

Masjid Uz Zumar

Rt 1, Nbr 500

Smyrna - Delaware - 19977

Have you? We mostly stick to the one in Newcastle off Churchman's Road, by the German club.

I know all about the job frustrations and their frustrations at how slow things move here :( I hope that things work out and that he can get a position he enjoys really soon inshallah!!

Well...Lasani's was awesome & I'm SO glad you told me about it!!! Much thanks! I found so many things in there that I have been looking for...everything from henna to chopped pistachios to the kunafa food coloring...and lots of other very interesting things I want to try :). They didn't have the nabulsi cheese, but the guy called his supplier & ordered it for me on the spot! He said that if I stop back in a day or 2, they should have some in stock. :thumbs:

Soo...I made a trial run of the kunefe using a mixture of mozarella, ricotta, and half & half and it was very good! Not exactly like Antakya, but very good anyway. My kids and husband loved it. I can't wait to try it again with the correct cheese. Also, not sure if they do this anywhere else, but in Turkey, they serve the kunefe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Sooo delish!! :star:

Yes, you're right, it is Paterson LOL my bad....yes I love it there too. If only it weren't such a haul. One time we went up there in the winter, just after a fairly heavy snow. We stayed until after dark and got on the highway to come back home only to find the highway shut down because of ice! We totally lucked onto another route after driving aimlessly for an hour or so. As much as I love visiting there, I wasn't too happy over the prospect of having to spend the night... :blink:

Yeah, I know what you mean about Smyrna...there is a very small population but its definitely more "obscure" than other places. There is a Turkish family that owns Smyrna Pizza (they love Ozzy & give him free pizzas LOL...I sent him there to "buy" dinner last night), and I think a Pakistani guy who owns the 7-11, but that's it that I know of. Ozzy was really frustrated over the job search too. He did finally land a position in Sears, but he was/is just very frustrated in general about how slowly the wheels seem to move around here....

Edited by Ash * Habibati

Are you insulting NJ roads ya magnoonah!?! :) Paterson is a nightmare but drive up a hill and you can see which direction to head OR stop by a friendly neighboorhood bodega...I'm sure they would give you the right direction.... :rofl:

WOOHOO!! I told you the big guy in Lasani's rocks my socks!! :lol: He really has anything you could want and if he doesn't he will order it! He's also a halal butcher so all the meat in there is 100% halal!! I am so glad that you found it and I think it will save you a lot of trips to Paterson. We save Paterson for special occasions because of the length of the drive and just go to Lasani for most other things. I don't know if your hubby likes spicy but he has the best Harissa I've found (Tunisian hot tomato paste like sauce) and his prices can't be beat for most things! Just be careful with some of the grains/rice/couscous I did find a small bug one time but in truth the bag was totally sealed ( I checked it ) so it must have gotten in there before he got it, so for that I can't totally blame him.

We are going to go up this weekend to get some things for Ramadan so I'll wave if I see you in there :lol:

Who hasn't gotten lost going to Paterson? :blush: Those roads are hopeless... I hate Jersey driving, but it's worth getting lost.

I only tried Smyrna Pizza one time and it was okay but I'm forever loyal to Bella Villa :lol: Ernesto and Tina are old school buddies so I have to go in there.. Jihed's in love with their food at Trevis I just wish it wasn't sooo expensive!! But Bella Villa is much cheaper and Momma knows my orders without me having to speak!! :thumbs:

There is supposed to be an Islamic society / mosque in Smyrna but I never checked it out? :unsure:

Masjid Uz Zumar

Rt 1, Nbr 500

Smyrna - Delaware - 19977

Have you? We mostly stick to the one in Newcastle off Churchman's Road, by the German club.

I know all about the job frustrations and their frustrations at how slow things move here :( I hope that things work out and that he can get a position he enjoys really soon inshallah!!

Yes I was insulting Jerzzee roads :lol: Whatcha gonna do about it? You know it's true.. remember the 2 am Nawal I'm lost some where around Rutgers call? :help: :help: hahahah :rofl:

Are you insulting NJ roads ya magnoonah!?! :) Paterson is a nightmare but drive up a hill and you can see which direction to head OR stop by a friendly neighboorhood bodega...I'm sure they would give you the right direction.... :rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.