Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Arab food here never tastes the same back home. Even the arab bakeries/restaurants use processed ingredients here and american spices added. Sometimes it tastes good sometimes like you're eating american food in Arab disguise. Sometimes craving that specific bourbousha - couscous i wanna take a plane to my grandma's house and eat. :crying: damn!

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Arab food here never tastes the same back home. Even the arab bakeries/restaurants use processed ingredients here and american spices added. Sometimes it tastes good sometimes like you're eating american food in Arab disguise. Sometimes craving that specific bourbousha - couscous i wanna take a plane to my grandma's house and eat. :crying: damn!

The stuff we make here tastes the same. We bring all our spices from back home so we don't use anything from here.

As far as arab bakeries, they all suck in America. I wastn even all that impressed with Shatila in Detroit. Restaurants...there are some good ones. Depending on where they are from. The best arabic food I have eaten in restaurants was in Chicago and Houston.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

I don't know why but I tried "instant couscous" from the box Oh wow..I don't recommend anybody trying it tastes so wierd!

Have you tried Rice Select's Original Couscous? It is the only instant couscous that we use and comes pretty close to made from scratch couscous. Better to steam it than to follow the directions of adding boiling water though. It comes in a plastic container not a box.

Traditional20Couscous.jpg

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Salaam all,

i just did a quick search for Moroccan bread, and this is what hit... i'm sure it's be discussed throughout the forum so please excuse me in advance if my question is a tired repeat.

ready to try Meriem's recipe, see below... but the thing is that, i don't have a bread machine. any thoughts on how to make Moroccan bread... khubz... any good recipes or ideas, please send them my way...

oh, by the way, it will be my first time trying this so please wish me luck!

thanks!!

hz

I found this recipe for moroccan bread and I cooked it yesterday. It was pretty good and Hachemi liked it. You can use the dough cycle of your bread machine, which makes it much easier to make.

7/8 cup of warm water (7ounces)

2 1/4 cups of bread flour

3/4 cup of semolina flour

1 tsp of anise seed

1 1/2 tsp of salt

1/2 tsp of sugar

2 tsp of active dry yeast

Place these ingredients into you bread maching in the order that is recommended by the instuctions on your machine.

Select DOUGH cycle and press start.

When the dough cycle is done, take the bread from the machine and punch it down. Divide dough into 2 halves, and shape into balls. Flatten the balls to a 3/4 inch thickness. Place them on a floured baking sheet. Cover with towels and let them rise until double in size. (about 30 mins)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush the top of each loaf with olive oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional)

####### the tops of the loaves all over using a fork.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Best when served warm.

Meriem (F)

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

I'm pretty sure you can use the same recipe without the bread machine.

Salaam all,

i just did a quick search for Moroccan bread, and this is what hit... i'm sure it's be discussed throughout the forum so please excuse me in advance if my question is a tired repeat.

ready to try Meriem's recipe, see below... but the thing is that, i don't have a bread machine. any thoughts on how to make Moroccan bread... khubz... any good recipes or ideas, please send them my way...

oh, by the way, it will be my first time trying this so please wish me luck!

thanks!!

hz

I found this recipe for moroccan bread and I cooked it yesterday. It was pretty good and Hachemi liked it. You can use the dough cycle of your bread machine, which makes it much easier to make.

7/8 cup of warm water (7ounces)

2 1/4 cups of bread flour

3/4 cup of semolina flour

1 tsp of anise seed

1 1/2 tsp of salt

1/2 tsp of sugar

2 tsp of active dry yeast

Place these ingredients into you bread maching in the order that is recommended by the instuctions on your machine.

Select DOUGH cycle and press start.

When the dough cycle is done, take the bread from the machine and punch it down. Divide dough into 2 halves, and shape into balls. Flatten the balls to a 3/4 inch thickness. Place them on a floured baking sheet. Cover with towels and let them rise until double in size. (about 30 mins)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush the top of each loaf with olive oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional)

####### the tops of the loaves all over using a fork.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped. Best when served warm.

Meriem (F)

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I don't know why but I tried "instant couscous" from the box Oh wow..I don't recommend anybody trying it tastes so wierd!

Have you tried Rice Select's Original Couscous? It is the only instant couscous that we use and comes pretty close to made from scratch couscous. Better to steam it than to follow the directions of adding boiling water though. It comes in a plastic container not a box.

Traditional20Couscous.jpg

I use this also !!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Does anyone have recipe for somethin called Damascus Rose, it's a dessert made from eishta and puff pastry! Thanks!

Could it be under another name? Ashtalie? I'm searching my cookbooks but don't see anything under that name.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Does anyone have recipe for somethin called Damascus Rose, it's a dessert made from eishta and puff pastry! Thanks!

Baked filo, rose water(? I think), has orange blossom jam, eishta, topped with pistachio? I may have the recipe...Delish.

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

This was all I could find!

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I'm in the mood to cook....but I need ideas! :help:

what kind of food are you thinking about? what kind of meat?

:lol: I changed my mind...I'm too lazy to cook now. LOL I tried to make the effort!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
:lol: I changed my mind...I'm too lazy to cook now. LOL I tried to make the effort!

LOL! I get in moods at inappropriate times-- like i want to cook while I am at work. Come home and I don't want to do ANYTHING.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.