Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Henia, you had asked about Chicken Ghallaba. I don't remember who posted this some time back, but I remember copying it b/c it sounded good. I've never tried it so, FWIW, here's what I copied. Hope it helps!

Chicken Ghallaba

Yields one serving

Ingredients:

7oz. Chicken Breast

2 oz. Carrots

2 1/2 oz. Mushrooms

3 1/2 oz. Tomatoes

2 oz. Olive oil (extra virgin)

1 Tb. of Taboon garlic sauce

2 oz. Taboon Ghallaba dressing

Directions:

1. Chop all vegetables in any size, shape desired

2. Cut chicken into small cubes about 1/2 inch

3. Brown garlic sauce in oil

4. Add chicken, cook until half done

5. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, cook for 5 mins.

6. Add Ghallaba dressing, cook 5 mins.

7. Serve with rice

Taboon Ghallaba dressing

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Tbs. Oregano

2 Tb. Sumac

1/4 Tbs. Cajon pepper

1 qt/ Lemon juice

2 oz. Salt

Directions:

1. Mix together and refrigerate

Rice & Noodles

Ingredients:

1 lb. Uncle Ben's Rice

1 1/2 oz. Vegetable oil

5 oz. Angle hair pasta

2 cups water

5 1/2 tbs. salt

Directions:

1. Brown the noodles in oil

2. Add rice, salt and water

3. Cook on low until water is gone

Taboon Garlic Sauce

Ingredients:

1 C. fresh garlic

1 tbs. Salt

2 C. Vegetable oil

1 C. lemon juice

1/2 jalapeno pepper

Directions:

1. Put the jalapeno and garlic into a blender; add oil

2. Slowly add lemon juice, water, salt

---------------------------------------

Chicken Ghallaba

Marinate cubes of chicken breasts in coconut milk, few dashes

of soy sauce and lemon juice for a couple of hours, then throw

in a skillet with thinly sliced onions, square cut green peppers

or roasted peppers if handy. Saute' in Indian Ghee if available

or else a coconut oil/vegetable oil mix, until chicken is browned

and onions transparent. Add about a cup and one half of flaked or

shredded coconut and saute' further until coconut starts to turn

golden. Reduce heat and add 1 can pureed or diced tomatoes, can

of coconut milk, can of chicken stock, additional chicken soup base

or chicken bouillon to taste, and some chopped garlic. Then add

garam masala or else the choice of Patak's Curry Pastes. Simmer on

low for about 30 minutes, Until chicken is tender. You can also add

green peas to this at this time.

Serve over basmati rice, with sides of your favorite chutneys.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
Also, talking about falafel tools ... what could one subsitute for a falafel tool if one didn't have one? There are many tools here in Algeria, but I have never seen a falafel tool ... but then again people donnot eat falafel here! LOL!

And has anyone ever eaten a McFalafel in Egypt or in Lebanon? I am curious to know how they compare! LOLOL! I can hear Shaaban Abdel-Rahim singing the jingle now!

You can just use your fingers to shape the dough into balls.

Snaps! I hit the send button but I finished typing!

Heh

icmutg.gif

Oooooook ... So how would go about creating a Falafel party ... what would be the traditional accompaniments? Other then the sauce, lettuce, pickles and tomato? What would be some good sides?

And as everyone talked about not all Falafels are created equal ... so what is the difference btwn Palestini/Egyptian and Turkis falafel? And is the Israel Falafel same as the Palestini?

Well falafel is generally Arabic "street food" or fast food, so it's usually served up in a sandwich with fried potatoes on the side and maybe a soft drink. But if you're not serving it in sandwiches, you could have all sorts of dishes with it -- hummus, rice, eggplant, a meat dish, salads, etc.

Israelis often use a recipe much like the Palestinian one -- maybe with some variations in the spice mix, and Israeli felafel is generally made with just chickpeas, rather than a combination of chickpeas and favas. Also as Chaishai mentioned, you don't see the different shapes so much -- usually Israelis like to make the small balls. Sometimes the condiments are a little different -- Arabs love their Arabic pickles and cabbage, Israelis like a lot of lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes. And sometimes the Palestinian falafel seems more crunchy.

But remember that these two peoples live in very close proximity, and despite the political differences, there is a lot of swapping around of ideas. European Jews learned Middle Eastern-style cooking mostly from the indigenous Palestinians, and have adopted many of the region's traditional foods into their own repertoire. And they have introduced their own contributions as well. What is known as Israeli food today has been influenced by people coming from a wide variety of different places -- Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, the U.S., Asia -- with a lot of different traditional foods.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Henia, you had asked about Chicken Ghallaba. I don't remember who posted this some time back, but I remember copying it b/c it sounded good. I've never tried it so, FWIW, here's what I copied. Hope it helps!

Chicken Ghallaba

Yields one serving

Ingredients:

7oz. Chicken Breast

2 oz. Carrots

2 1/2 oz. Mushrooms

3 1/2 oz. Tomatoes

2 oz. Olive oil (extra virgin)

1 Tb. of Taboon garlic sauce

2 oz. Taboon Ghallaba dressing

Directions:

1. Chop all vegetables in any size, shape desired

2. Cut chicken into small cubes about 1/2 inch

3. Brown garlic sauce in oil

4. Add chicken, cook until half done

5. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, cook for 5 mins.

6. Add Ghallaba dressing, cook 5 mins.

7. Serve with rice

Taboon Ghallaba dressing

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Tbs. Oregano

2 Tb. Sumac

1/4 Tbs. Cajon pepper

1 qt/ Lemon juice

2 oz. Salt

Directions:

1. Mix together and refrigerate

Rice & Noodles

Ingredients:

1 lb. Uncle Ben's Rice

1 1/2 oz. Vegetable oil

5 oz. Angle hair pasta

2 cups water

5 1/2 tbs. salt

Directions:

1. Brown the noodles in oil

2. Add rice, salt and water

3. Cook on low until water is gone

Taboon Garlic Sauce

Ingredients:

1 C. fresh garlic

1 tbs. Salt

2 C. Vegetable oil

1 C. lemon juice

1/2 jalapeno pepper

Directions:

1. Put the jalapeno and garlic into a blender; add oil

2. Slowly add lemon juice, water, salt

---------------------------------------

Chicken Ghallaba

Marinate cubes of chicken breasts in coconut milk, few dashes

of soy sauce and lemon juice for a couple of hours, then throw

in a skillet with thinly sliced onions, square cut green peppers

or roasted peppers if handy. Saute' in Indian Ghee if available

or else a coconut oil/vegetable oil mix, until chicken is browned

and onions transparent. Add about a cup and one half of flaked or

shredded coconut and saute' further until coconut starts to turn

golden. Reduce heat and add 1 can pureed or diced tomatoes, can

of coconut milk, can of chicken stock, additional chicken soup base

or chicken bouillon to taste, and some chopped garlic. Then add

garam masala or else the choice of Patak's Curry Pastes. Simmer on

low for about 30 minutes, Until chicken is tender. You can also add

green peas to this at this time.

Serve over basmati rice, with sides of your favorite chutneys.

Ye ... I had posted that ... found online, but tastes really nothing like in the resturant :blush::crying:

WoM: Just yesterday made falafels for dinner! But my problem is the dough seems to be tough enough ... I let it sit one hour. Then when I go to fry them (in very hot oil) they seem to fall apart. I tried adding flour, semoule, frik and also breadcrumbs ... all still fall apart and melt into the oil. What am I doing wrong?

So the tool really just shapes it? Doesn't really make it better? I found online tool for $16.99 but no gaurantee it would arrive here, so didn't bother ordering it!

All the falafels I have ever eaten have had sesame seeds on them. I did not have any sesame seeds at home, but did have zata'ar ... so I just added that! Family could not tell the difference ... but me I cannot decide if I liked it or not! But I do find that I like to add more cilantro in the dough ... makes the flavour pop!

Thanks for the info on falafel! Still wondering if anyone has tried the McFalafel? LOL I donnot even know they bothered making up that sandwich! :wacko:

Timeline
WoM: Just yesterday made falafels for dinner! But my problem is the dough seems to be tough enough ... I let it sit one hour. Then when I go to fry them (in very hot oil) they seem to fall apart. I tried adding flour, semoule, frik and also breadcrumbs ... all still fall apart and melt into the oil. What am I doing wrong?

So the tool really just shapes it? Doesn't really make it better? I found online tool for $16.99 but no gaurantee it would arrive here, so didn't bother ordering it!

All the falafels I have ever eaten have had sesame seeds on them. I did not have any sesame seeds at home, but did have zata'ar ... so I just added that! Family could not tell the difference ... but me I cannot decide if I liked it or not! But I do find that I like to add more cilantro in the dough ... makes the flavour pop!

Thanks for the info on falafel! Still wondering if anyone has tried the McFalafel? LOL I donnot even know they bothered making up that sandwich! :wacko:

Sounds like your dough is a too dry -- try cutting back on the flour/breadcrumbs etc., and maybe adding a little bit of water. The dough should be very wet and very sticky. Did you use all chickpeas or a mix of chickpeas and favas ? And if you used dried chickpeas, how long did you soak them ?

The tool shapes the dough and also makes it easier to dispense into the hot oil -- it has a plunger thing that pushes the dough out. It's handy to have, especially if you're making a large quantity -- the dough is really sticky and messy -- but it's not mandatory.

Some people like to roll the dough balls in sesame seeds (or sprinkle some on top) before frying them -- often when the falafel is being served as a dish by itself (not in a sandwich.) Za'atar would probably work fine in the recipe, but it MUST have the other spices :yes:

I never even heard of a McFalafel, but then again I avoid Mickey D's like the plague.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Sounds like your dough is a too dry -- try cutting back on the flour/breadcrumbs etc., and maybe adding a little bit of water. The dough should be very wet and very sticky. Did you use all chickpeas or a mix of chickpeas and favas ? And if you used dried chickpeas, how long did you soak them ?

The tool shapes the dough and also makes it easier to dispense into the hot oil -- it has a plunger thing that pushes the dough out. It's handy to have, especially if you're making a large quantity -- the dough is really sticky and messy -- but it's not mandatory.

Some people like to roll the dough balls in sesame seeds (or sprinkle some on top) before frying them -- often when the falafel is being served as a dish by itself (not in a sandwich.) Za'atar would probably work fine in the recipe, but it MUST have the other spices :yes:

I never even heard of a McFalafel, but then again I avoid Mickey D's like the plague.

Not sure if the dough was too dry or too soft. But it was the same texture as hummous. It tasted nice fine, rather nice in that raw unfried stage.

I soaked my dried chickpeas the night before, for about 16 -18hours. Added a bit of baking soda to the water. Then drained the water off. I cooked the chickpeas in my pressure cooker, until soft. No salt! Drained it, then let it sit until cooled. Put the chickpeas in my food processor ... until broken down (texture of hummous) Then I added the chopped parsely, cilantro, garlic, onion, zata'ar, cumin, salt, black pepper, and breadcrumbs (yesterday). Let it sit for about hour. Then with my daughter formed the balls. Heated the oil ... then fried. Many of the balls seemed to just melt into the oil. Maybe my dough was too smooth. I donnow. I have never been showed the exact texture ...

Me too, avoid McDonald's ... and say elhamdullah it has not infiltrated Algeria! My inquery was more of a joke! Why they bothered ... I donnow! :wacko: Almost just as dumb as their Egyptian campigan during Ramadan! Like who would be breaking fast there? :unsure:

Timeline
Not sure if the dough was too dry or too soft. But it was the same texture as hummous. It tasted nice fine, rather nice in that raw unfried stage.

I soaked my dried chickpeas the night before, for about 16 -18hours. Added a bit of baking soda to the water. Then drained the water off. I cooked the chickpeas in my pressure cooker, until soft. No salt! Drained it, then let it sit until cooled. Put the chickpeas in my food processor ... until broken down (texture of hummous) Then I added the chopped parsely, cilantro, garlic, onion, zata'ar, cumin, salt, black pepper, and breadcrumbs (yesterday). Let it sit for about hour. Then with my daughter formed the balls. Heated the oil ... then fried. Many of the balls seemed to just melt into the oil. Maybe my dough was too smooth. I donnow. I have never been showed the exact texture ...

Me too, avoid McDonald's ... and say elhamdullah it has not infiltrated Algeria! My inquery was more of a joke! Why they bothered ... I donnow! :wacko: Almost just as dumb as their Egyptian campigan during Ramadan! Like who would be breaking fast there? :unsure:

OK then I think the dough was probably too soft -- that *would* make it melt away in hot oil. Try processing the chickpeas a lot less -- making it smooth like hummus is too much. The chickpeas should retain a lot of texture, sort of like chunky peanut butter.

At least it tasted good !

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

mmmmm pickles! Ok I cheat. If you are talking about regular green pickled cucumbers, I never make them...EVER.

The reason being, I can't ever find cucumbers small enough. So I buy the Ziyad brand premium gold pickles, extra small size. They are really good.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

BTW what are wild cucumbers anwyway? I keep seeing this wild cucumber pickle jar in the market. The pickles look more like extra skinny squashed then cukes. I assume they are some ME thing, since they were packed in Lebanon. Anyone know about these?

Edited by Henia

• 2 weeks later...

shhhh i'm on a mission

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

HI!

I'm new to the forum and am married to a syrian... Just wanted to know if any of you know of any recipes that are 100% syrian or if arab food is not from any specific country???

THANKS!!

HI!

I'm new to the forum and am married to a syrian... Just wanted to know if any of you know of any recipes that are 100% syrian or if arab food is not from any specific country???

THANKS!!

Most MENA foods are made thoughtout MENA with a slightly different spin on it. I can't say I have any recipes that are 100% Syrian, however it should'nt be too hard to find some. Syria and Lebanon are probebly the most renouned countries when it comes to MENA cuisines, Syria being the pioneer of many.

For example, most MENA counties make stuffed grapeleaves but the recipe will vary by region and family. Your best bet in making your hubby happy is to follow his mom's recipes. My family and my husbands family are both from Jordan but the cooking style is SOOOOO different.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

What is a big problem for us is I wasn't a big cook before he came here, and now that he's here he wants me cooking everyday :unsure: It's a good idea though for him to get recipes from his mother...I'll try that!

Any suggestions on what to do about his expectations of wanting me to cook everyday??? We had an argument about that last night!

Help! :blink:

What is a big problem for us is I wasn't a big cook before he came here, and now that he's here he wants me cooking everyday :unsure: It's a good idea though for him to get recipes from his mother...I'll try that!

Any suggestions on what to do about his expectations of wanting me to cook everyday??? We had an argument about that last night!

Help! :blink:

Well you can definitly find recipes online. Show them to him, he may have some feedback on things to change based on what he is used to. Trial and error is going to be the best way to figure out what he wants to eat.

Don't look at this as such a big problem, cooking isn't as hard as people make it out to be. :star: I cook at home, but not everday. Sometimes we have leftovers and I know my husband isn't fond of them but I refuse to waste food. So he knows when we have leftovers, he has to eat them!!! I try to cook 4-5 times a week. Sometimes I make things he likes, sometimes its what I like. He made an agreement with me when we got married, if I cook it, he will eat it...even if he doesn't like it. Same goes for him when he cooks (rare event, lol).

I'm not sure what area you live in, but you should try to find an arabic store. You will definitly need to get some spices if he didn't bring any with him. But I will warn you, they will be totally different than what he is used to. Check and see if his family can send you some.

Here are some websites to try:

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=syrian

http://www.everylastrecipe.com/rdir-id-2198.asp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.