Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You can find it, some arab stores have the solid form, which kinda looks like a round white ball of crusty cheese...lol...others dont and carry somethign called like a "soup starter kit" ive never used that one so i couldnt offer ya any advice, im sure others on here could...personally, i have to have jameed in my mansaf, and i MUST HAVE split almonds...not peanuts...i hated it in jordan with plain peanuts, they probably did it that way considering like a 1/4lb of almonds here is like 5$...who knows what it was in jordan...

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

I have never seen Jameed in any store in my area, but considering that Kelly is surrounded by Jordanians in her area I'm not surprised that they are carrying it there now. However I'm not sure I would buy it. We only use the Jameed we get from trusted sources and certain areas as well.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I have never seen Jameed in any store in my area, but considering that Kelly is surrounded by Jordanians in her area I'm not surprised that they are carrying it there now. However I'm not sure I would buy it. We only use the Jameed we get from trusted sources and certain areas as well.

My sisters in law make their own Jameed, and I don't know that anyone Ammar has known has had anything but theirs (in the family of course, obviously not counting friends). I know he tries to avoid "others'" mensef.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Charles' peanut delight

Charles asked me to post my recipe here, I want to start by saying this is called ''Pave de Amendoim'' in Brazil and it's a very common dessert in Brazil.

It requires some brazilian ingredients, so don't try to substitute. If you can't find a brazilian store near by or buy it online, just forget about trying the recipe.

Pave de Amendoim

Ingredients:

- 2 cans Nestle media crema. (you can find on mexican aisles or buy online)

TableCream.gif

it has to be nestle table cream, don't try another substitute

- 3 cups sugar

- 4 egg yolks

- 200 g peanuts

- 100 g butter

- 500 g bolacha maizena

I can't find that on mexican aisles, I always order online.

With a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well-mixed. Add egg yolks and keep mixing. At last, add Nestle table cream and keep mixing.

In a blender, beat 200g of peanuts, slowly so it won't become a butter, just so the peanuts are grounded. Add the peanuts to the mix and stir it lightly.

In a shallow bowl, pour milk and, if you want, (not necessary) a couple tbsp liquor (I use whatever I have, but coconut liquor is the best).

Dip cookies, 4 by 4, let it sit for 10 seconds at most, then place them in a 9x9 dish, then add a layer of the peanut mix, repeat. Finish with the peanut mix.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

MOROCCAN-STYLE CHICKEN BREASTS

1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts

In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, cilantro, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.

Place the chicken in a shallow dish and spread with half of the yogurt mixture; turn the chicken over and spread with the remaining yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 10 hours.

Preheat a gas grill to high or prepare a charcoal fire. Grill the chicken until it is cooked through and no longer pink at the center, about 5 minutes per side. Makes 4 servings.

PER SERVING: Calories 179 Fat 5 g (1 g sat) Cholesterol 66 mg Sodium 232 mg Fiber 1 g Carbohydrates 3 g Protein 27 g

Label.jpg

.png

mybabygirl-1-1.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

omg this one's a keeper!!! Made it Sat night and the hubster loooved it. (my kids don't like spicey stuffs so I made them mac n cheese and chicken wings). Only things I did different was omit the shrimp (i'm allergic) and instead of doing the stacks with the avacado I just chopped it all up (but didn't use any cheese 'cause I was in too much of a rush to go hunting for it) and put it in one big salad bowl. I'm having leftovers for lunch and my tummy's sooo happy!!! :dance::dance:

Sliced Chili Rubbed Flank Steak on Spicy Rice with Shrimp and Guacamole Stacks Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

See this recipe on air Friday May. 30 at 2:30 PM ET/PT.

2 to 2 1/4 pounds flank steak

1 1/2 tablespoons grill seasoning, a palm full and a half

1 tablespoons dark Mexican chili powder, a palm full

1 lime, zested

Cooking spray or oil to coat grill or grill pan

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup white rice

1 small onion, chopped

1/2 red bell pepper, chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups chicken stock

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it

1 pound small to medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley

Salt

2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, sliced

2 Hass avocados, halved, scooped from skin and sliced

1/2 lemon

1 small red onion, thinly sliced

1/2 cup crumbled queso Asadero

Preheat outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to high. Rub the meat with a mixture of grill seasoning, chili powder and the lime zest. Let meat stand 10 minutes. Grease grill surface then add meat and cook 7 to 8 minutes on the first side, 5 to 6 minutes on the flip side for medium doneness.

For the rice, heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter, and when melted add rice and toast for a couple of minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic and cook for a few minutes to begin to soften the veggies. Add stock and raise heat to bring up to a bubble. Stir in the tomato paste and hot sauce. Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pot and cook 18 minutes, until rice is tender. Add shrimp to the pot in the last 5 minutes of cooking. The shrimp will steam on top of the rice. Cook the shrimp until pink and firm. Combine the seafood and cilantro into the rice and season with salt, to taste.

Season sliced tomatoes with salt and dress the avocado with lemon juice. Make 4 stacks alternating the tomatoes with avocado and onions.

Slice the steaks and serve on a bed of shrimp rice, the guacamole stacks alongside. Garnish the guacamole stacks with cheese crumbles.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
omg this one's a keeper!!! Made it Sat night and the hubster loooved it. (my kids don't like spicey stuffs so I made them mac n cheese and chicken wings). Only things I did different was omit the shrimp (i'm allergic) and instead of doing the stacks with the avacado I just chopped it all up (but didn't use any cheese 'cause I was in too much of a rush to go hunting for it) and put it in one big salad bowl. I'm having leftovers for lunch and my tummy's sooo happy!!! :dance::dance:

Sliced Chili Rubbed Flank Steak on Spicy Rice with Shrimp and Guacamole Stacks Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

1 lime, zested

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup white rice

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups chicken stock

Salt

1/2 lemon

Preheat outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to high. Rub the meat with a mixture of grill seasoning, chili powder and the lime zest. Let meat stand 10 minutes. Grease grill surface then add meat and cook 7 to 8 minutes on the first side, 5 to 6 minutes on the flip side for medium doneness.

For the rice, heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter, and when melted add rice and toast for a couple of minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic and cook for a few minutes to begin to soften the veggies. Add stock and raise heat to bring up to a bubble. Stir in the tomato paste and hot sauce. Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pot and cook 18 minutes, until rice is tender. Add shrimp to the pot in the last 5 minutes of cooking. The shrimp will steam on top of the rice. Cook the shrimp until pink and firm. Combine the seafood and cilantro into the rice and season with salt, to taste.

Season sliced tomatoes with salt and dress the avocado with lemon juice. Make 4 stacks alternating the tomatoes with avocado and onions.

Slice the steaks and serve on a bed of shrimp rice, the guacamole stacks alongside. Garnish the guacamole stacks with cheese crumbles.

I made this last night, but made a few changes since my husband doesn't like green peppers, or anything too spicy. I also didn't do the avacado's and sliced tomatoes....too lazy, and it was too late. It was excellent! He asked me if this was a Moroccan recipe and I told him I didn't think so. I will certainly make it again, but I think I will cook the rice first then add the tomato paste...it made it difficult to cook it thoroughly.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

1 lime, zested

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup white rice

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups chicken stock

Salt

1/2 lemon

I made this last night, but made a few changes since my husband doesn't like green peppers, or anything too spicy. I also didn't do the avacado's and sliced tomatoes....too lazy, and it was too late. It was excellent! He asked me if this was a Moroccan recipe and I told him I didn't think so. I will certainly make it again, but I think I will cook the rice first then add the tomato paste...it made it difficult to cook it thoroughly.

Really? I didn't have a problem with it but then I used texmati rice since I love it so maybe it depends on the type you use.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can't remember what rice it is that I have, but I don't like it. I usually buy Basmati, but it is not as easy to find.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Here is a sight I came across, I have tried a few of the recipes, and so far yummy!!

Just wanted to share!!

www.dedemed.com

I-130 & G325A

09/11/2007 I-130 & G-325A mailed today, to Los angeles, CA

03/16/2008 Received RFE I-130

03/26/2008 RFE for I-130, sent to LA Through USPS Certified mail

03/31/2008 I-130 RFE response letter is received

04/09/2008 I-130 case processing has resumed

04/17/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!! DATED 04/14/08 YAY!! 7 monthes to approve.

I-485 & EAD

03/13/2008 Sent I-485 & EAD to Chicago Lockbox through USPS Priority Mail

03/16/2008 I-485 & EAD Received by R. MERCEDO USCIS Chicago IL

03/25/2008 Received NOAs for I-485, I-765

03/28/2008 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

03/29/2008 Biometrics done-Appointment Scheduled 4/05, but I went early.

03/31/2008 Case Status shows up Online

04/03/2008 EAD touched

04/10/2008 RFE for I-485 received today, dated 4/04/08

04/11/2008 Sent RFE to Lee's Summit, MO / USPS priority mail

04/14/2008 USCIS received RFE response; signed by C BORDERS.

04/17/2008 Case processing resumed

04/22/2008 Touched

05/09/2008 Received EAD Approval Notice from CRIS "Card production odered"

05/14/2008 EAD card production ordered, 2nd notice

05/16/2008 EAD Approved & Sent!! (61 days)

05/19/2008 EAD in hand!!!!!

GOD SPEED FOR ALL OF US WITH TRUE INTENTIONS!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Here is a sight I came across, I have tried a few of the recipes, and so far yummy!!

Just wanted to share!!

www.dedemed.com

perhaps this can be moved up top to the *pinned* recipe thread so as to not further clutter the board? thanks!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

About rice....

this is what hubster has taught me about the proper use of rice in Jordanian dishes...

medium grain rice is for mansaf , ma7'(phlegm)she , and malfoof

whereas

basmati rice is for maklooba

Is he just extra picky or do u all do the same thing?

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

About rice....

this is what hubster has taught me about the proper use of rice in Jordanian dishes...

medium grain rice is for mansaf , ma7'(phlegm)she , and malfoof

whereas

basmati rice is for maklooba

Is he just extra picky or do u all do the same thing?

Let's see....I use medium grain rice for Magloobeh. For mansaf, mahshi, and any stuffed dish, we use egyptian rice, similar to medium grain rice. For oozy I use uncle bens. We never use basmati, although its my favorite..... :star:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Felafel

2 pounds dried chickpeas and fava beans (Palestinians often use half and half, but you could also use just one or the other, or any combination)

1 bunch fresh chopped parsley (about 1 cup)

1 bunch fresh cilantro (coriander)

3-4 cloves garlic

2-3 tsp. salt (or to taste)

1 small onion

1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs (or fine bulghur wheat)

1/8 cup - 1/4 cup flour (depending on how sticky your dough is)

1 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. turmeric

1/2 tsp. cayenne (or more or less according to your taste)

1/4 tsp. black pepper

2 teaspoons baking powder

fresh chopped cilantro

fresh chopped parsley

oil for frying (vegetable oil or olive oil)

Soak chickpeas and beans for 16-24 hours and drain well. Grind them in a food processor with the garlic, onion, parsley and cilantro (if necessary, add a very small amount of water.) The dough should be of a coarse texture -- not too smooth. Blend in the remaining ingredients. Let the dough rest 1 hour.

Use a felafel tool to shape the dough, or form it into round balls with your fingers (golf ball size or slightly larger, flatten slightly into patties if you like.) At this point, you can freeze all or part of the dough for later use.

Heat the oil to very hot, and fry small batches at a time.until golden brown.

Serve in hot pita bread, garnish with chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce or cabbage, sliced onion, chopped pickles, hot peppers, chopped cucumber, etc. Drizzle with tahina sauce.

Tahina sauce

Whisk together:

1/4 cup tahina

1/4 cup of water

Juice of one lemon

Pinch of salt

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks!! So does the Palestinean falafel taste different than the Jordanian? I know I tried some falafel that were Egyptian before and the taste was 100% different... then Dh told me that's because they use fava and not chick peas. He couldn't really remember HOW to make falafel though, so I was kind of stuck trying to figure it out by looking at the internet.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.