Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have a recipe that I want to try, but I'm a little confused about one of the listed ingredients.

Here's all the ingredients:

2 cups oats

2 cups whole wheat flour

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 (3 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs, cranberries, etc)

1/4 cup honey

1 cup unsalted butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons hot water

The item in question is the coconut. At first I bought shredded coconut but today when I went to the store I got some coconut milk.

I'm not sure which to use!

The consistency of these baked goodies should be something like a cookie, but they get baked in mini muffin tins.

Anyone?

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you want the texture of shredded coconut then you should use it, but if the coconut milk is used for moisture then maybe you can use some of both?

Timeline

Yeah I'm just not sure. I'll fiddle around with it and see what I can come up with. I know what they should taste like when done, I've just never made them before.

Maybe I'll make them tomorrow.

:)

Thanks for replying Sarah

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i was wracking my brain trying to figure out which it was... i thought maybe because there isn't much liquid in the recipe it would be canned coconut milk. but now i'm thinking its shredded coconut. but then why would the recipe say canned?! do you remember their being chunks of coconut though? either way let us know... if you figure it out i'd love to try it! it sounds yummy!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here's a recipe I made tonight that definitely got a thumb's up - it's a keeper. The original is from Relish Magazine and my adaptation is in parentheses.

Noura

Apricot & Lamb (Chicken) Tagine

3 T Canola oil (Olive oil/ eyeballed it)

2 large onions (1 small)- thinly sliced

2 lbs boneless leg of lamb, trimmed & cut into 1" pieces (1 lg boneless skinless chik breast)

(sliced bell pepper - 1/4 each red, green, yellow, red)

1 t turmeric

1 t ground ginger

1/2 t ground coriander

1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 t salt

1/2 t freshly ground black pepper

1/4 t ground allspice

3 C lower sodium chik broth (1/2 C veggie broth)

1 15 oz can chickpeas (rinsed really well, no gas bubbles!)

1 C dried apricots/ abt 6 oz (eyeballed it, maybe 12-15 apricots cut in 1/2)

1 T honey

Preheat oven to 350 (I used tagine, no oven)

Heat oil in lg skillet over med. heat (everything went directly into tagine basically in the order listed here) . Saute' onions abt 5 min. Add meat & cook til pieces are no longer pink (4-5 min). **They say transfer mixture to slow cooker here (mine stayed in tagine)**. Add spices, (add bell peppers) pour in broth. Stir in chickpeas, apricots and honey. Cover & cook on medium for 4 hrs (cooked on medium on stovetop for 25 min). (*Served w/ fresh bread- although since I'm trying to cut back on bread, I ate mine mostly w/ a fork*).

Original recipe says serves 6 so I'm sure these stats are off w/ my alterations, but if you follow theirs here ya go:

per serving:

380 calories, 13 g fat, 32 g prot., 34 carbs, 6g fiber, 670 mg sodium (whoa! didn't realize it was so high in fat & carbs!)

Noura

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline

too bad you didn't post this a few hours earlier! i also h ad some lamb hanging around i had to make last night! i ended up just doing a simple herb/garlic/lemon/evoo rub and roasting it in the oven with vegetables! looks like a good recipe!

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ok gals, dumb question. nessa and i love garlic. i get to peel them. any quicker or better way to peel the garlic instead of using a knife? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
ok gals, dumb question. nessa and i love garlic. i get to peel them. any quicker or better way to peel the garlic instead of using a knife? :unsure:

YES! - there's a handy little rubber tube just for that purpose. I forget what it's called, but you can find it at most kitchen gadget stores. They work wonders! Maybe called Garlic Roller or something?

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline
Cook for 4 hours???? :blink:

Got any rubber tubes laying around charles?

J

this is what I would call a perfect recipe for a crock pot! Like I said, in the tagine, it was only about 25 min once *everything* was in it. Maybe 45 all together? Dinner was ready in less than an hour for sure.

BJsTm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Cook for 4 hours???? :blink:

Got any rubber tubes laying around charles?

J

yeah but nessa uses them to whip me with :blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

easy garlic opening: separate the cloves from the whole head. put them in a metal bowl. place another metal bowl over it (preferrably slightly smaller) and shake it like crazy!!! when i mean two bowls i mean both facing inward so the garlic cloves are inside.

most cooks in morocco these days don't have a lot of time to cook tagines for hours and hours. every wife in morocco has a pressure cooker. they do either all or part of the cooking in there to cut down the time drastically! i have a pressure cooker here but my husband swears the ones in morocco are better and we'll get one next time we go.

world-map.jpg

Timeline

Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit I just wasn't paying enough attention when I read through the directions. :blush:

My son and I made them yesterday. I only had a small bite, but my son had about 5 of them and I brought some in to work and they ate them up. Sooo, I guess they're okay. :D

"Aussie Bites"

2 cups of oats

2 cups of whole wheat flour

2/3 cup brown sugar

3 1/2 oz shredded coconut (I bought a 14 oz package and just used 1/4 of it)

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup dried fruit (I used raisins, but you could add other kinds, raisin sized)

1/4 cup honey

1 cup unsalted butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons hot water

Preaheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine first 6 "dry" (there was my hint about the coconut) ingredients in a bowl.

Melt the honey and butter and set aside.

Mix the baking soda and water and add to the butter mixture.

Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Place tablespoons full into mini muffin cups (don't grease).

Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown then cool on wire racks.

I found that they needed more like 8 or 9 minutes but oven temps vary. And i didn't cool them on wire racks, I like to cool baked goods on paper towels to get some of the grease off. :D

Hope you like 'em.

:star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.