Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I just want to thank you ladies for all the wonderful recipes you share !

Also, I finally have a subscription to my favoritest cooking magazine in the WORLD (now I don't have to keep stealing my mom's.) Cooks Illustrated -- if you have not seen this, GET YOUR HANDS ON A COPY and you will not regret it. Each issue covers topics from traditional tools to the latest high-tech equipment, from testing recipes to teaching technique, everythingggg. All with excellent step by step illustrations. Sarah and Sereia I KNOW you guys will love this one !

(F)

-MK

I love Cooks Illustrated! It's my all time favorite too. It's amazing how much you can learn in one little magazine.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

just saw these on foodtv. look YUM and when i went to the website they got rave reviews:

Holiday Biscotti Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped

2/3 cup dried cranberries

12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped

Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.

Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.

Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.

Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes.

The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Noura's Holiday Crunch (suitable for Christmas/Hannukah/Eid)

8 or 9 Cups of Cereal (I use a mixture of 2 Rice/2 Corn/2 Wheat Chex & 2 or 3 Crispix)

4 C Cheerios

4 C tiny pretzel twists

4 C cashew halves & pieces (sometimes I mix cashew & peanut)

4 C mini marshmallows (optional if going Halal)

** originally it also had 2 C plain M&M's but I found it too sweet, so I omit them completely

1 20 oz pkg of white almond bark

6 squares of chocolate almond bark

Divide all ingredients, except almond bark, b/t 2 large greased baking pans & stir gently to mix. Melt white almond bark in microwave for about 3 min, stirring b/t each minute. Pour over crunch and stir to coat. Chill until firm - about 15 min (I put them in the freezer). Melt Chocolate almond bark and place in ziploc bag (place open ziploc into micro-safe cup and place almond bark directly in it to melt. After heated, close bag and cut a small corner off the bottom of the bag. Drizzle chocolate over crunch mixture in criss cross design. Chill until firm. Loosen & break into chunks. Store at room temp. It makes a lot!!!

**I get those decorative cellophane bags and fill them to give as gifts to my clients and students or into a tin for family & friends. I also like to bring it to holiday parties for the snack table. The bowl empties pretty quickly!

I usually do this in a double batch also - everyone loves it!

Enjoy.

Noura

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Do you think it would be okay with the white and chocolate barks reversed? I don't care much for whatever is in white "chocolate" and would prefer to maybe have it as the drizzle instead of the coating.

:)

Otherwise it sounds yummy.

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
just saw these on foodtv. look YUM and when i went to the website they got rave reviews:

Holiday Biscotti Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped

2/3 cup dried cranberries

12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped

Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.

Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.

Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.

Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes.

The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

I posted this one a while back in this thread and yes they come out wicked yummy!!!!! I omitted the nuts since my daugther is allergic but I bet they would just add to the yumminess! :thumbs:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
Do you think it would be okay with the white and chocolate barks reversed? I don't care much for whatever is in white "chocolate" and would prefer to maybe have it as the drizzle instead of the coating.

:)

Otherwise it sounds yummy.

prolly... the white almond bark is "vanilla" flavored. I've never done it the other way 'round, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.

btw, my batches today came out deelish! I have them all packaged up to give to students & clients next week.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

You must have alot of willpower. I'm afraid if I make it I'll just end up eating most of it myself. :D

Someone at work brought in something called Aussie Bites. He offered me one and I tried it and absolutely fell in love with the things. He said he got them at Costco. Not sure if that is a national chain or not.

Anyways, I went online to see if I could find a recipe for them since I don't have a Costco membership. I found a recipe and am hoping to try it out in the next few days. If it turns out good I'll post it.

they look like mini muffins but are harder like a cookie. They have oats, flour, honey, butter, sunflower seeds, raisins and some other few things. They are just yumalicious! :luv:

Edited by melly

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Plum pastries for Jen:

Dough:

the recipe is very simple, only butter (150g= 5,3oz), white flour (150g) and cold water (1 small cup). 1tsp baking powder is optional.

mix the butter and flour (+baking powder if you want), add the water and mix fast (if you mix it too much it won't be crispy!). Put the dough to the fridge and let it get cold.

Roll the dough into a rectangle and turn 1 third on top of the middle from both sides, roll again.. repeat at least twice more and let the dough get cold again in the fridge.

flatten the dough with a rolling pin and cut the dough to squares. Cut the corners of the dough in concentric corners. Add some jam in the middle. Lift the corners up and put them together in the middle and wipe some egg all over them and put them in the oven.

It's a puff pastry which you can buy pre-made. I'm not sure on the temp or time of baking, so i'll have to check it out. I can see 400-425* being used as the temp, and20-30 mmiinutes for time, but I can't say if that will work for this recipe or not... temp probably but no idea on the time. Experiment!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Does anyone have a Jordanian (preferably northern Jordanian) recipe for stuffed grape leaves? I looked at Bridget's recipe, but it doesn't look like what i was eating. But maybe?

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Does anyone have a Jordanian (preferably northern Jordanian) recipe for stuffed grape leaves? I looked at Bridget's recipe, but it doesn't look like what i was eating. But maybe?

I have also been looking for a stuffed grape leaves recipe, but what I am looking for is the type that you put meat and rice inside and cook over night? Kurdish (and I am sure other groups of) Jews make this. It is incredible. I think its called yaprach?

Timeline

I have also been looking for a stuffed grape leaves recipe, but what I am looking for is the type that you put meat and rice inside and cook over night? Kurdish (and I am sure other groups of) Jews make this. It is incredible. I think its called yaprach?

I foudn this:

Yaprak Dolmasi

(Stuffed Grape Leaves)

Makes enough for + - 50 rolls

2 lg. onions, minced

125 ml. olive oil + 70 ml. for pot

125 g. finely ground lamb

several lamb bones*

100 g. round rice

3 T. pine nuts

1 t. allspice

1/8 t. cinnamon

1 T. dried dill or 2 T. fresh, minced

salt, pepper

500 ml. water

*Bones are not crucial to this, but do add to the authentic flavours typical for this dish.

Turkish variations call for mint, currents and pine nuts roasted in oil. Leave out the allspice but add the juice of 2 lemons. This is a very tasty combination for those not wishing to use meat.

Sauté the onions in oil until glassy, add the rinsed and drained rice, sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the meat, nuts, spices, pepper and salt well.

Roll according to instructions. Lay several lamb bones at the bottom of a large pot and cover with 3 or 4 extra leaves. Lay one layer of the rolls snuggly and arrange 3-4 slices of lemon, repeating with another layer of rolls and lemon slices (end with lemon slices).

Pour over the water, the 70 ml. of olive oil and place an upturned heavy plate on top of the rolls. Lid and slowly bring to a boil. Lower heat and gently simmer for 50 minutes. Test one - the leaves should not be tough nor so soft that they fall apart.

Serve with wedges of lemon and a dipping sauce of yoghurt stirred with a little olive oil and minced garlic.

http://www.epicureantable.com/tutgrapeleav.htm is where it comes from... but it's not overnight. I'll keep looking.

Timeline

Hey, I just made this again and completely substituted the marshmallows for Craisens (dried cranberries) and it is really delicious! Just thought I'd share this tip. Merry Christmas everyone!

Noura

Noura's Holiday Crunch (suitable for Christmas/Hannukah/Eid)

8 or 9 Cups of Cereal (I use a mixture of 2 Rice/2 Corn/2 Wheat Chex & 2 or 3 Crispix)

4 C Cheerios

4 C tiny pretzel twists

4 C cashew halves & pieces (sometimes I mix cashew & peanut)

4 C mini marshmallows (optional if going Halal)

** originally it also had 2 C plain M&M's but I found it too sweet, so I omit them completely

1 20 oz pkg of white almond bark

6 squares of chocolate almond bark

Divide all ingredients, except almond bark, b/t 2 large greased baking pans & stir gently to mix. Melt white almond bark in microwave for about 3 min, stirring b/t each minute. Pour over crunch and stir to coat. Chill until firm - about 15 min (I put them in the freezer). Melt Chocolate almond bark and place in ziploc bag (place open ziploc into micro-safe cup and place almond bark directly in it to melt. After heated, close bag and cut a small corner off the bottom of the bag. Drizzle chocolate over crunch mixture in criss cross design. Chill until firm. Loosen & break into chunks. Store at room temp. It makes a lot!!!

**I get those decorative cellophane bags and fill them to give as gifts to my clients and students or into a tin for family & friends. I also like to bring it to holiday parties for the snack table. The bowl empties pretty quickly!

I usually do this in a double batch also - everyone loves it!

Enjoy.

Noura

BJsTm6.png

I've never really heard of Jordanian recipes by region. Every family usually has their ways of doing things but it has nothing really to do with where they live.

This is how I make grapleaves:

Stuffing mixture:

2 cups rice (I like jasmine) washed and soaked for at least 30 min.

1 cup of ground lamb meat (ask the butcher to make it chili style, you can also use beef)

2 tsp bharat (all spice mix)

1 tsp salt

2 tsp olive oil

2 tsp vegetable oil

1/2 tsp pepper

mix all together

Im not going to explain how to roll or prepare the grapeleaves for rolling bcz I am assuming you already know that.

Once you have have all the grape leaves rolled. Assemble into a pot:

The bottom layer of the pot should have some lamb chops, lamb shoulder chops, or rack of lamp with some fat trimmed off. Then add some tomato slices, grapeleaves, adding tomato slices here and there between the grapelaves.

You can also add a serrano pepper to the middle of the pile which will give it a nice kick.

Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons over the grapeleave and cover with water. Bring to boil and let simmer for the remainder of the cooking time. The slower you cook them, the better. Also, don't let all the water evaporate, because that is what keeps them juicy and tender.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.