Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Moroccan Preserved Lemons (Moroccan Jewish style)

6 Lemons (quartered, but left intact on one end)

1/4 C sea salt

2 cloves

1 inch cinnamon stick

1/4 tsp black peppercorns

1 tsp coriander seeds

Fill lemons w/ salt & close again. Arrange them in jar, putting salt & spices in b/t lemons, push them down to express the juice. If the juice isn't enough to cover add more lemon juice. Leave the jar in a warm place in the kitchen, shake the jar daily for abt 1 month.

**I usually double this recipe b/c we use them so often - but that does last us abt 4 months. :thumbs:

Thanks Noura! Where did you get the recipe from?

strangely enough out of an Armenian cookbook one of my Armenian clients gave me. This lady has quite an array of interesting ethnic foods in there. She, herself, is Armenian, though.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Yes! Moh said the full name for them is lokma al qadi...judge's bread or judge's small bite. All I know is they are delicious! Especially with the rose water.

Have you tried them with orange blossom water (ma'zahr) instead of the rose water (ma'ward). I can't stand anything with ma'ward, I always substitute it with ma'zahr.

I use rose water as an cleansing face tonic ... and pour a bit in the watering can in the WC. :thumbs: And a bit of orange blossom water in sugar cookie dough makes them "exoticly" good ... many compliments on that one. Esp with you dust some cinnamon sugar on them after baking ... ground pishactios are nice too.

BTW: Has anyone ever made a dessert with rose water flavoured chocolate? Or orange blossom water beignets? or merigues? Mmmmm.... tongue0022.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

i am sure that this may be posted somewhere, but i read a few pages in and couldn't find it and got impatient...does anyone have the recipe for kufta???

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

Noa's received--6/18/2008 (date of 6/13/2008)

Biometrics appt--7/9/2008

RFE's received--7/12/2008

Resubmitted information--8/11/2008

EAD Card production ordered--10/2/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

Work card received in mail--10/11/2008

Applied for SSN--10/15/2008

.png

Timeline
i am sure that this may be posted somewhere, but i read a few pages in and couldn't find it and got impatient...does anyone have the recipe for kufta???

So many different ways to make kufta... which style are you looking for? Grilled, in a sauce... and if in a sauce, which LOL...

Timeline

Does anyone have recipes for a good maádjoun to use during Ramadan .... aaaaaaand Tashuppadh "Kabyle crépes" ?

Also I have some Algerién recipes to add...

Slow cooked fennel sauce for Algerian Pasta

1/2 cup olive oil

2 fenell bulbs, sliced (you can include the fronds, depending on how much you appreciate the flavor of fennel)

2 cloves of garlic

Salt and pepper

1 cup water

This sauce is a compote of sorts, the fennel is cooked untill it is meltingly soft. 1- 1 1/2 hours at least. To serve spoon over pasta.

Kalentika (Unlike the Calentica chickpea pie of Tanger and Gibralter)

I had this in Oran and it was fab!!!

1 cup warm water (100 degrees)

1 package dry yeast

1 tablespoon sugar

3 cups flour (AP or fine semolina or a combination of both)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon of smen or butter

extra flour for dusting

Method:

1. Place the water in a large mixing bowl, add sugar and stir untill it has dissolved.

2. Add the yeast, let sit for about 5-10 minutes. A creamy foam should appear on the surface of the water.

3. Add the flour, salt, olive oil and smen to the proofed yeast. Begin incorporating the ingredients by stirring. When the mixture comes together in a pliable mass place the dough on a lightly floured surface to begin kneading.

4. Form the dough into a flattened ball. Fold the edge opposite of you in half towards your body. Knead the dough with the bottom of your palms away from your away.

5. Turn the dough in quarters, repeat the fold and knead (dust the work surface with flour as necessary) untill the dough is smooth. This will take approximately 15-20 minutes.

6. Form the dough into a ball, place into a large bowl and coat lightly with oil. Cover with plastic, let rest untill double in bulk. This will take about 1 hour at 75-80 degrees. I wouldn't get a barometer to measure temperatures though. Depending on the weather place the dough in a warmer or cooler place in the kitchen.

7. Punch the dough down.

Hummus stuffing for Kalentika

Ingredients:

1. 1/2 cups cooked chicke peas.

2. 1 clove of garlic, finely minced

3. 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin

4. Salt and Pepper to taste

5. 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil

Method:

1. Gently mash the chick peas with a fork, add the remaining ingredients, mix well and adjust seasoning to taste.

2. Divide dough into 12 balls.

3. Roll out the balls into 1/4" thick circles.

4. Evenly spread 2 tablespoons of the hummus on 6 six of the disks. Leave 1/2" along the edge clean.

5. Place the remaining disks on top of the disks that have been spread with hummus and gently seal the edges with your fingers.

6. Cook the stuffed dough in a non-stick skillet on medium heat untill golden brown.

There is an alternative method for Kalentica. The seasoned chickpeas are incorporated into the dough before it is let to rise. Traditionally it would have been cooked in a skillet, but nowadays alot of Algerians have access to ovens. Brush a 14" cakepan with olive oil and form the dough inside. Brush the top with olive oil, bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, depending on your oven

Chourba in the style of Tlemcen

Ingredients:

1 Pound of boneless leg of lamb or shoulder, cut into 2"cubes

2 medium zucchini, cut into 2" slices then quartered

1 medium carrot, cut into 2" slices then quartered or halved depending on girth

1 medium onion, coarsly chopped

1 small bulb of fennel, including the stem and fronds, coarsely chopped

1/2 Red Pepper, coarsley chopped

1/2 green pepper, coarsley chopped

3 ounces of uncooked vermicelli, cut into 3" pieces.

1 cup of chick peas

1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes, concasse (you can used canned)

1 tablespoon of tomato paste

ginger (fresh or ground) to taste

Cinnamon to taste

Salt and Pepper to taste

Olive oil for sauteeing the aromatics and vegetables.

The following method can be used for preparing most soups and stews. I don't think that it's necessary to repeat the same techniques in recipes, rather it's more important to understand the fundementals of cooking.

1. Heat a non stick skillet to smoking point (you might need a little bit of oil, depending on the pan your using and the amount of marbeling on the lamb). Brown the lamb that has been seasoned with salt and pepper in small batches, do not crowd the pan. Crowding the pan will reduce the temperature of the skillet too much and the meat will start to "steam" and releasing juices. Flavor comes from the browning. Don't shake or disturb the pan too much. Set aside the browned meat. I do not deglaze the brown bits from the pan. I find that it clouds the color of the broth. But if you like you can do this.

2. Add enough oil to a stock pot to coat the bottom, turn heat to medium-high.

3 . When the oil is hot, not smoking, add the onions and sautee untill translucent (I add salt a little at a time throughout the cooking process). Add the tomato paste and saute for a few minutes.

4. Add the browned lamb, tomato concasse and chick peas if you are using dried that have been soaked (if you are using canned add them 40 minutes later) to the stock pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 35-40 minutes.

5. Begin adding the vegetables. Carrots first cook for about 10 minutes. Next add the zucchin and fennel. Turn up the heat each time you add a new ingredient, than reduce the heat again as it begins to simmer. You might have to add a little more water as you go to ensure that all the ingredients are submerged. Next add the peppers, I prefer to saute them first for a few minuts. It brings the sweetness and adds an another layer of flavor. You can omit this step and just add them raw. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or untill the lamb is tender. The vermicelli is added about 5 minutes before cooking is complete.

Remember to add the spices a little at a time throughout the cooking process, as well salt. Taste your food as you cook.

Sfenj

2 teaspoons dry yeast

1/2 cup or more freshly squeezed orange juice (125ml), warmed

4 tablespoons sugar

3-1/3 cups flour (500g)

Grated zest of 1 orange

2 eggs, lightly beaten

4-1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil

Oil for frying

Confectioner's sugar to sprinkle on

Put the yeast in a bowl with about 4 tbsp. of the orange juice, 1 tsp. of the sugar, and 2 tbsp. of the flour. Beat well, and leave for about 25 minutes, until it froths.

In a large bowl, mix the remaining flour with the orange zest, eggs, and 4 tbsp. of oil. Add the yeast mixture and mix well. Now add just enough orange juice to make a soft dough that just holds together in a ball, adding it gradually, and working it in with your hand. Knead for about 15 minutes, until elastic and no longer sticky.

Pour 1/2 tbsp. of oil in the bowl and turn the dough around to grease it all over. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.

Punch the dough down and roll out to about 1/3" (1cm) thick. You do not need to flour the surface, for the dough is oily and will not stick. Cut into rounds about 3- 3/4" (8cm) in diameter. Make a hole in the middle with your finger and pull out the ring, enlarging the hole. Leave the dough rings on an oiled tray for another 1/2 hour to rise. Fry in batches in 2" (5cm) of oil over medium-low heat (so that they do not brown too quickly), turning them over once to brown them all over. Drain on paper towels and serve dusted with confectioner's sugar or dipped in a syrup.

I just made some sumac lemonaid ... it was soooooooo goood!

-----> Has anyone heard or know where to get a copy of Leon Isnard's L'Afrique Goumande ou l'encyclopedie culinaire de l'Algerie, de la Tunisie et du Maroc published in the 1900s?

Timeline

Also can any Israel ppl tell me what sufganyiot exactly are? I saw this picture of them... and they good great! But what they are? Could possibly be some kind of Israeli doughnut or what the Lebanese call "boul"... (And btw does anyone know how to make "boul"?

gallery_8006_298_1102490229.jpg

But they have designer flavours ....LOL

Mozart - Cappuccino creme with bitter chocolate icing

Mexicana - Guanduja creme with tequila and white chocolate icing with chile powder

Cinnamon - Cinnamon creme with white chocolate and cinnamon

Chocolate - Plain with bittersweet chocolate coating and purple star

Edited by Henia

Timeline

hi henia...

the one i am talking about was the meatballs and the rice and it was a yellow soup (kinda like broth)...the only thing i am unsure about is the soup part...the meatballs were in the soup and we just poured it over the rice....omg...i am hungry just talking about it

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

.png

Timeline
hi henia...

the one i am talking about was the meatballs and the rice and it was a yellow soup (kinda like broth)...the only thing i am unsure about is the soup part...the meatballs were in the soup and we just poured it over the rice....omg...i am hungry just talking about it

corba-kofte%20corbasi%20tam.jpgI know of a Turkis recipe that sounds alot like that ...

1/2lb minced meat

1 onion (finely grated)

1 or 2 slices of bread (blended n turned into bread crumbs)

1 dessert spoons of köfte harcı (optional)

salt

pepper

olive oil (maybe 2 dessert spoons?- this is to make the kneading easier)

3/4 full of the turkish coffee cup of uncooked rice (Segenggam beras)

a bit of flour to coat

The hard way

water

chunks of meat n bones

salt n pepper

onions (sliced roughly)

(u can also use celery, carrot, garni if u feel like it)

The easy way

water

meat stock cube

Set C (Vegetables n what not)

3 tomatoes (grated or blended-as u wish)

1 egg yolk

1 zuchini squash (that's the green one in the pic-diced)

1 potato (diced)

1 carrot (diced)

1 onion (diced)l

Salt n Pepper to taste

oil for cooking

Steps

Set A (The meatballs)

-Use ur hands. mixed everything until the meat

corba-diced%20veggies.jpg

and the other ingredients r mixed together.

-Mix the ingredients for at least 1o minutes.

-Give them a round shape..cute small looking meatballs.

-Coat the meatballs with flour lightly

-Let the meatball rest in the fridge for one hour

Set B (The meat stock)

The hard Way

-Boil everything until the meat is tender

-Strain the ingredients

-Only use the liquid for the soup

The easy way

- Boil the water

-Add the meat stock cube

Set C

-Dice n grate whatever necessary

The General cooking.

-Add in oil in the cooking pan.

-Put the diced onion in. Let it cook till soft.

corba-kofte%20uncooked.jpg

-Add in the grated or the blended tomato

-Let it be like a sauce a bit. Cook around 5 to 8 minutes on slow heat.

-In another container, add the egg yolk inside the meat stock (cold). Keep stirring.

-Add the meat stock n egg yolk inside the pan containing the tomato.

-Add in everything else in Set C

-Stir everything until the soup until it boils.

-Carefully, put the cute meatballs inside the hot soup.

-Lower the heat to minimum. Cover the pan and let the soup cook until the meatballs r cooked.

- Nice eaten with bread

Edited by Henia

Timeline

thanks sweetie ;)

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

.png

Timeline
sufganyiot are donuts (i think typically stuffed with jam?) eaten during hanukkah. those flavors you mentioned look awesome!

Yeeee.... that's what they do look like. I could not tell if they were doughnuts or that Lebanes "Boul" LOLOL.... Thanks Jen!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
sufganyiot are donuts (i think typically stuffed with jam?) eaten during hanukkah. those flavors you mentioned look awesome!

Yeeee.... that's what they do look like. I could not tell if they were doughnuts or that Lebanes "Boul" LOLOL.... Thanks Jen!

those dont look like sufganiot to me - but israelis tend to take traditional recipes and give them a modern swing so maybe thats what that is. looks like profiteroles or something to me. but i do see the star of david on them.

sufganiot are usually just fried doughnuts stufed with jam or this nutella stuff they sell in israel - but it doesnt have the hazlenut flavor, just the chocolate flavor. although now i do think they sell it with hazelnut flavor. have i confused you yet? lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.