Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oooo, muchas gracias! I'm going to print this out and stick it in my recipes folder asap.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hmm, now I'm curious. According the Shaykh Google:

http://www.islamlife.com/forum/viewthread....mp;thread_id=60

The Dhaahiri - Literalist position

According to the Literalist School: Ibn Hazm, the exponent of the Literalist school wrote in his manual (Al Muhalla) volume 1, page 166, problem no. 132: ‘If the excretion of the animal is burnt down or changed and becomes ashes or dust, all that becomes pure and can be used for tayammum (earth purification) . The proof of that is the fact that rules are in accordance with what Allah Most High, has ruled regarding the objects in what the object is named. If the name of the object is changed or dropped, the previous rule is dropped as well. It is something from that which Allah has named’. As such, excretion is different from dust, as it is different from ashes. The same thing with wine which is different from vinegar and human being is different from the blood from which he is created. The dead thing is different from dust or ashes.

In problem 136, page 178, he goes on to say: ‘If the quality of the substance of naturally impure object changes the name which was given to it so that it is no more applicable to it and it is given a new name which is given to a pure object, so it is no more an impure thing. It becomes a new object, with a new rule.

The same thing is true of a pure thing changing into impure thing such as juice becoming wine or the wine becoming vinegar. The pork flesh eaten by a chicken and becoming a chicken flesh. It is halal. The water becoming wine or the food turning into excretion, the excretion and the wine used as fertilizer or becoming a fruit and so many other things.

I wonder if my sweet zahari husband has this Ibn Hazm book. He likes Ibn Hazm's logic, so I'll see how he reads this, and then maybe I can start getting some wine vinegars. But then again, I already have 4 kinds, and the last one I bought, the husband was like :blink: why do we need 4 kinds of vinegar?

Also, Shafi'i perspective

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Does anyone know of a good subsitute for wine in recipes? There are a lot of tasty looking things that call for cooking wine, which we don't use :unsure:

You could try chicken stock.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

HARISSA-CRUSTED TRI-TIP ROAST

Harissa, a spicy North African chili-garlic condiment, can be found at some specialty foods stores and Middle Eastern markets. But it is very easy to make, too, as in this recipe.

1 3/4 teaspoons caraway seeds

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

6 garlic cloves

1/4 cup chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*

2 tablespoons tomato sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder

1 1 3/4- to 2-pound tri-tip beef roast, most of fat layer trimmed

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toast caraway seeds in small nonstick skillet over medium heat until seeds darken and begin to smoke, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add olive oil and garlic cloves to caraway seeds in skillet. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 1 minute. Pour caraway mixture into processor. Add chili paste, tomato sauce, cumin, and chili powder and blend until garlic cloves are pureed. Season harissa to taste with salt.

Sprinkle beef all over with salt and pepper; place beef, fat side down, on rack on rimmed baking sheet. Spread with half of harissa. Turn beef over; spread remaining harissa over top and sides. Roast beef until thermometer inserted into center registers 125°F to 130°F for medium-rare, about 35 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes. Slice and serve.

*Available in the Asian foods section of most supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

MOROCCAN LAMB TAGINE WITH RAISINS, ALMONDS, AND HONEY

Mrouzia

Mrouzia is a dish traditionally made after the celebration of Aid el Kebir ("Feast of the Slaughter of the Lamb"), an occasion when, historically, a family would have large amounts of meat on hand. In the days before refrigeration, the lamb was cooked in copious amounts of fat and spices to preserve it. Don't worry — this version has much less butter and less intense spicing than the original.

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 3 hr

2 teaspoons ras-el-hanout*

2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon black pepper

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads

3 cups water

3 lb boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 large onion, coarsely grated (1 cup)

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 1/4 cups raisins

1 1/4 cups whole blanched almonds

1/2 cup honey

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Accompaniment: couscous

Whisk together ras-el-hanout, salt, pepper, ginger, saffron, and 1 cup water in a 5-quart heavy pot. Stir in lamb, remaining 2 cups water, onion, garlic, cinnamon sticks, and butter and simmer, covered, until lamb is just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in raisins, almonds, honey, and ground cinnamon and simmer, covered, until meat is very tender, about 30 minutes more.

Uncover pot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until stew is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes more.

Cooks' note:

• Tagine can be made 1 day ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered.

*Available at specialty foods shops and Kalustyan's (800-352-3451).

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

A long time ago, Bosco created a recipe forum ?for us and I am still a Moderator on there. There are many great recipes tehre and it would be great to get some more posted.

If you would like me to create an account for you, please PM me and I'll set it up.

JP

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
A long time ago, Bosco created a recipe forum ?for us and I am still a Moderator on there. There are many great recipes tehre and it would be great to get some more posted.

If you would like me to create an account for you, please PM me and I'll set it up.

JP

I'll have to add this Tuscan Bean Salad my husband loves there! I go there once in a while to see if anything has been added the last new thing was your lentil soup :)

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am going to try this recipe out. I seen it on Everyday Italian and it looked good. I am just not sure about the Anchovies

RomanSummerSalad.jpg

1 cup balsamic vinegar

1 cup pitted green and black olives, halved

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped

2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained

1 garlic clove, thinly sliced

8 fresh basil leaves, shredded

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)

Cook the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until thick, syrupy, and measuring 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Combine the olives, parsley, anchovies, capers, garlic, basil, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl and toss to combine.

To serve, slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds and place, slightly overlapping, on a serving plate. Spoon the olive and parsley mixture over the tomatoes. Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the salad and serve.

I am going to try this recipe out. I seen it on Everyday Italian and it looked good. I am just not sure about the Anchovies

RomanSummerSalad.jpg

1 cup balsamic vinegar

1 cup pitted green and black olives, halved

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped

2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained

1 garlic clove, thinly sliced

8 fresh basil leaves, shredded

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)

Cook the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until thick, syrupy, and measuring 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Combine the olives, parsley, anchovies, capers, garlic, basil, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl and toss to combine.

To serve, slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds and place, slightly overlapping, on a serving plate. Spoon the olive and parsley mixture over the tomatoes. Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the salad and serve.

This looks so good, I have been having mad tomato cravings this summer. The heirloom tomaoes we have been getting have just been awesome!

Does anyone know how to make any kind of recipe that involves cactus fruit? Not the actual Nopal, but the fruit that comes from the cactus...so yummy. I don't know the name in english but in arabic its sabr.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Timeline

4plcgao.jpg

Lokma aka delicious fried balls of goodness

1 1/4 cup warm water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

2 cups all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons

1 teaspoon salt

vegetable oil

For The Syrup

3 cups sugar

1 1/3 cups water

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1-2 teaspoons rose water

PREPARATION:

In a measuring cup, add yeast and sugar to warm water. Stir until dissolved. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast water and stir with oiled wooden spoon until a dough-like consistency.

Cover and place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled.

Preheat vegetable oil to 375.

Spoon dough bu the tablespoon into vegetable and allow to cook for about 2 minutes each side, until each side is a golden brown color.

Repeat with remaining dough. Drain on paper towels.

For the syrup:

About 20 minutes prior to frying the dough, make the syrup. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan (except lemon and rose water) until sugar is dissolved on medium heat. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes, until it become a syrup consistency. Do not stir frequently because the sugar will make the syrup cloudy. Remove from heat and add lemon and rose water.

Drizzle syrup over fried dough and serve immediately.

4plcgao.jpg

Lokma aka delicious fried balls of goodness

1 1/4 cup warm water

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

2 cups all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons

1 teaspoon salt

vegetable oil

For The Syrup

3 cups sugar

1 1/3 cups water

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1-2 teaspoons rose water

PREPARATION:

In a measuring cup, add yeast and sugar to warm water. Stir until dissolved. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast water and stir with oiled wooden spoon until a dough-like consistency.

Cover and place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled.

Preheat vegetable oil to 375.

Spoon dough bu the tablespoon into vegetable and allow to cook for about 2 minutes each side, until each side is a golden brown color.

Repeat with remaining dough. Drain on paper towels.

For the syrup:

About 20 minutes prior to frying the dough, make the syrup. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan (except lemon and rose water) until sugar is dissolved on medium heat. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes, until it become a syrup consistency. Do not stir frequently because the sugar will make the syrup cloudy. Remove from heat and add lemon and rose water.

Drizzle syrup over fried dough and serve immediately.

I just love these things, we make them every year on January 6th. However we don't call them Lokma, we call them awameh.

Filed: Timeline

Yes! I knew they were called something else in other countries but couldn't remember the name. Lokma is the Turkish name for them which the Egyptians also use because of the huge Turkish influence in Egypt. I love these things, too! I usually just buy them in Dearborn but it's nice to have a recipe around just in case.

I just love these things, we make them every year on January 6th. However we don't call them Lokma, we call them awameh.

Yes! I knew they were called something else in other countries but couldn't remember the name. Lokma is the Turkish name for them which the Egyptians also use because of the huge Turkish influence in Egypt. I love these things, too! I usually just buy them in Dearborn but it's nice to have a recipe around just in case.

Very fitting name because it sounds like the arabic word for "small bite".

Does anyone have a recipe for arabic style bechemel sauce?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.