Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Has anyone tried this cookbook??

http://www.interlinkbooks.com/BooksC/Class_Veg_Cook.html . . . .

I finally bought this book! I just got it yesterday from Amazon and wow wow wow!!! The recipes look so amazing! I can't wait to start trying them.

When I run into some good recipes I'll post them.

At least recipes shouldn't be too controversial.

:rolleyes::P

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Loubia bel Ham

Ingredients:

olive oil

1 onion, chopped

5 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon tomato concentrate, I always add a little more if I think it needs it

1 pound beef, cubed

water

potatoes, cut into large chunks

carrots, cut into large chunks

1 can white beans

cumin, cinnamon, and salt to taste

sprinkle of red pepper

Directions:

In a medium/large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are transparent. Add the meat and when the meat is brown add a few cups of water (enough to cover the meat and veggies, but not too much or there will be a huge amount of broth). Next add the potatoes, carrots, tomato concentrate, and spices (adding a little at first and tasting as you go along - just a quick sprinkle of the red pepper). Let cook over low medium/medium heat until potatoes and carrots are tender (20-40 minutes). Add beans and cook for ten more minutes. Serve with bread.

You can pretty much throw whatever you want into this soup. For just two people I usually cut the recipe down to half a pound of beef and one potato and one carrot. I always throw in a whole can of beans cause they're so good. It really depends on your taste... enjoy!

This is not a ME/NA recipe, but it's a dish that I made for my husband when he first got here that he LOVES. It's a very simple family recipe from my mom's Scottish relatives.

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:

olive oil

1 pound ground beef

1 onion, chopped

1 carrot, chopped in small pieces

1 medium sized turnip, chopped into small pieces

1 packet brown gravy mix plus one cup cold water (or mix as directions say, mine says one cup cold water)

salt and pepper to taste

3 russet potatoes

butter

milk

salt

pepper

shredded cheese (I use a sharp, white cheddar)

Directions:

For the mashed potatoes, set a large pot of water on high heat and add the potatoes once the water starts to boil. Cut potatoes in half and let boil while you start the meat mixture.

In a large pan heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion until it starts to get soft and then add the ground beef. Break up the meat really fine while it's cooking. Add the carrots and turnip and stir in the gravy mix (after you mixed it with the water). Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cook about 25 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently. Use a bit of cornflour or flour if sauce is not thick enough.

When the potatoes are tender, drain them and mash with a lump of butter and some milk. Add some salt and pepper and a handfull or two of shredded cheese. Mix well.

Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish (or a square pan) and spread mashed potatoes on top making sure there are NO GAPS. Score the surface with a fork and add a few pats of butter on top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Baked Brie with Pecans

Ingredients:

1 wedge of brie

20-25 chopped pecans

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup

1 box of plain table water crackers (or any kind of plain cracker)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place brie in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle chopped pecans and crumble brown sugar over brie. Pour maple syrup over the brie and on the bottom of the dish. Bake 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling (adjust your oven temp if the cheese is not melting). Serve hot.

Magic Cookie Bars

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch chips (I've also used Reese's peanut butter chips and they're soooo good)

1 1/3 cup shredded coconut

1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for glass dish).

In a 13x9 baking pan melt butter in the oven. When butter is completely melted, pull out and sprinkle crumbs into the pan. Mix until crumbs are moist and pat down so the crumb are covering the entire pan. Pour condensed milk over crumbs and let sit for a couple minutes while it spreads over the crust. Top with chocolate chips, butterscotch/peanut butter chips, nuts, and coconut. Press down firmly (or they fall apart). Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I finally bought this book! I just got it yesterday from Amazon and wow wow wow!!! The recipes look so amazing! I can't wait to start trying them.

I should make a MENA cookbook... or we restart that MENA recipe forum...or start another one? come on everyone!

Karantika

Ingredients:

1 egg

1/2 cup veg. oil

1/2 13x9 casserole dish of water (fill up the dish halfway and pour it into the bowl)

1 teaspoon salt

200 grams of chickpea powder

some shredded swiss cheese if desired

Directions:

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk for two minutes. Place a 13x9 in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes. Take out the pan and rub a small bit of oil on the bottom and sides of the pan. Put back in the oven for three minutes. Take the pan out again and pour the mixture of ingredients into the pan. Place back in the oven and keep an eye on the karantika. Leave it until it looks like it is becoming a little brown and a little solid. When this happens, turn the oven to broil and leave until the karantika is dark brown/black on top. Take out, let cool a little, and serve with bread.

Filed: Timeline
Baked Brie with Pecans

Ingredients:

1 wedge of brie

20-25 chopped pecans

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup

1 box of plain table water crackers (or any kind of plain cracker)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place brie in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle chopped pecans and crumble brown sugar over brie. Pour maple syrup over the brie and on the bottom of the dish. Bake 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling (adjust your oven temp if the cheese is not melting). Serve hot.

Oooh I love brie! I am so making this dish this weekend. :thumbs:

drinkblink14.gif

Mango Chutney Chicken and Mediterranean Pilaf

For the chicken:

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons curry powder

1/4 cup dry white wine (or substitution)

6 chicken breasts

1 1/2 cups mango chutney

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add curry powder and cook 2-3 minutes. Add wine and stir until blended. Remove from heat. Place chicken pieces in baking pan and baste with butter mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and spread chicken with chutney. Bake for 30 more minutes, basting frequently. Remove chicken to serving platter. Pour the juices into a small saucepan and boil for 3-4 minutes to reduce sauce. Pour the sauce over chicken.

For the rice:

Ingredients:

3 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups white rice

4 tablespoons of veg. oil (I usually cut this back a bit)

3/4 cup golden raisins

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1 1/2 tablespoon lite soy sauce

Directions:

In a medium saucepan bring chicken broth to a boil. In a bowl mix the rice, oil, raisins, turmeric, curry powder, and soy sauce. Pour into chicken broth. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

I should make a MENA cookbook... or we restart that MENA recipe forum...or start another one? come on everyone!

We should go back and use it! I check it from time to time but there are never any new recipes.. :cry:

Flipping through my recipe box and found these cool little tips on each of the dividers. I don't know if I'd ever do all/any of them, but there are some good ideas... (I won't list them all, hehe):

- Freezing lemonade with cherries in a plastic gelatin mold makes an excellent ice ring for party punch.

- Freeze coffee in ice cube trays; then add when making ice coffee. The coffee cubes will not water down the drink.

- For a crisp bread crust, place a small pan of water alongside the baking bread.

- To remove lumps from brown sugar, place a slice of bread in the container and close tightly (I've also heard you can put a piece of terra cotta in there and it will take out the lumps and keep it moist).

- Tough meat tenderizes easily by simply rubbing both sides with vinegar and olive oil. Refrigerate at least 2 hours prior to cooking.

- Before adding meat to a frying pan, sprinkle a small amount of salt in the pan to prevent splattering.

- Lemons, limes and oranges will produce more juice when you microwave on high for 30 seconds before squeezing.

- Freshen stale potato chips, crackers, etc., by placing them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.

- Scrambled eggs will go farther if a pinch of baking powder and 2 teaspoons of water are added per egg.

- A paper towel placed in a bag of lettuce will keep it fresher.

- Thicken stews with instant mashed potatoes.

- Absorb grease from the top of soup by dropping in a leaf of chilled lettuce.

- If soup is too salty, add several slices of raw potato and cook for ten minutes.

- Cauliflower will stay white by adding a small amount of milk or lemon juice to the cooking water.

- Add variety to vegetables by cooking them in a chicken or beef stock.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Mexican Potatoes With Cheese - Papas Con Queso

This is another simple yet delicious authentic dish from Zacatecas Mexico that my mother taught me how to make! It is important to know that this recipe won’t work well if you don’t use queso fresco. You must use this type of cheese specifically for the recipe to incorporate well, other wise it wont come out.

8 potatoes, peeled and chopped into squares

6-8 fresh jalapenos

2 large tomatoes

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, peeled

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

2 table spoons of knoor chicken bouillon powder (consome)

1 teaspoon cumin

12 ounces mexican queso fresco, chopped into cubes

2-3 cups water

oil (for frying)

salt

6 servings 25 min 15 min prep

1. Bring jalapenos and tomatoes to a boil.

In blender add water, onion, garlic, cumin, can of tomato sauce.

blend well.

2. Then add boiled jalapenos, tomatoes and pulsate just 2 or 3 times.

just so that the tomatoes and the peppers are still chunky in the sauce.

Set aside.

3. In skillet fry the potatoes until they start to look translucent and.

remove from fire. It is very important you do this. Don’t fully cook.

them or else u will end up like mulch latter.

4. Transfer the semi cooked potatoes to a bigger sauce pot and pour the.

sauce.

5. Add cheese and stir well. If needed at salt to taste and bring to a.

boil.

Serve hot and enjoy with warm tortillas!

Edited by The_dip_sticks

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

anyone have a recipe for basboosa / harissa??

one sister told me it had coconut in it.. but the one I found on line didnt

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

Basbousa or nomora (in syria) my husband said his mom always put coconut in hers. so i just throw maybe 1/4cup in. works out great.

1/2 cup butter, preferably unsalted

3/4 cup superfine (caster) sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

2 cups fine semolina

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt

1/4 cup coconut

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

ok...i screwed up and it wouldnt let me edit it so here it is in its full version.

Basbousa or nomora (in syria) my husband said his mom always put coconut in hers. so i just throw maybe 1/4cup in. works out great.

1/2 cup butter, preferably unsalted

3/4 cup superfine (caster) sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

2 cups fine semolina

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt

1/4 cup coconut

blanched almonds, preferable halved

whipped cream for garnish, optional

syrup

2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 cups water

1 tablespoon lemon juice

preheat oven to 350

in a bowl, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

sift semolina, baking powder and baking soda twice. fold into butter mixture alternatlely with yogurt.

spread batter into greased 8x12 cake pan. evenly arrange almonds on top in rows so that when cake is cut, an almond will be centered on each piece.

bake until top springs back when pressed, 30-35 minutes.

meanwhile, to make syrup, place sugar and water ina heavy saucepan. cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. add lemon juice and bring to a boil. boil rapidly for 10 minutes. then cool by standing pan in cold water.

spoon colled syrup over hot cake. cool thoroughly and cut into diamond shapes. garnish with whipped cream is desired.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.