Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

here is an indian vegetarian recipe from the famous madhur jaffrey that my mom sent me. soooooooooo good.

black-eyed peas with mushrooms

1 1/4 cups dried black eyed peas.....or use 2 cans

keeping one's liquid

1/2 lb mushrooms

6T vegetable oil, here is where i cut it down to one tablespoon

1 tsp cumin seeds

1inch cinnamon stick

11/2medium onions,chopped

4cloves garlic,finely chopped

4medium tomatoes,peeled andchopped

2tsp ground coriander

1tsp ground cumin

1/2tsp tumeric

1/4tsp cayenne

2tsp salt

pepper

3 T cilantro,i like tons more

if use dried put peas and 5 cups water in pot and boil 2 minutes.turn

off heat and let sit covered 1 hour.

cut mushrooms through stems into 1/2 inch slices.

heat oil,put in whole cumin and cinnamon stick.

let sizzle 5 or 6 seconds then add onions and garlic.stir

fry until onions turn brown on edges.put in mushrooms

and stir fry until they wilted. add rest of stuff except

cilantro and beans.this is all over medium heat btw.

cover and cook 10minutes.

if using the dried beans that soaked turn back on and

cook until tender 20 or 30 minutes.personally,i would

consider changing the water especially if you invited

someone to share this with you.you could also buy some

beano.up to you. haha!!!

anyway,to this cooked bean mixture add the other

stuff salt and pepper (oops wasnt supposed to be in

tomato mixtue tho cant see why not)mix and simmer

uncovered 30 minutes.stir once in a while.

remove cinnamon stick especially if you like your

teeth.

add cilantro now imho it tastes better uncooked.

Edited by abdounjen

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

this is a typical middle eastern dessert. like a thick pudding infused with rosewater. if you can find cool moulds you can pour it into the moulds and take them out right before serving to your guests in a pretty shape. or to make it easier, pour them into individual cups and serve the toasted nuts or coconut on top.

Malabi serves 10

4-1/2 c milk

3 oz sugar

2 oz cornstarch

3 T rosewater

combine 3-1/2 c milk and sugar over medium heat. whisk remaining milk with cornstarch. when milk boils, add cornstarch and return to a boil. add rose water and cook 30 seconds. remove and let cool slightly. transfer to nice moulds and chill at least 12 hours.

you can serve it up fancy style with a raspberry caramel and toasted coconut, and toasted pistachios

caramel:

7 oz raspberrry puree

3-1/2 oz sugar

2 T water

1/4 c rose syrup

make caramel. heat raspberry puree. add to caramel. strain and cool to room temp. add rose syrup.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Shish Tawook Marinated chicken

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
  • 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces

• Dipping Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, stir together oil, yogurt, ketchup, and mustard. Season with garlic powder, paprika, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, and curry powder. Stir in chicken pieces, coating all sides with marinade. Cover bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
  2. To make dipping sauce, mix together mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, and salt. Cover, and refrigerate.
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  4. Transfer chicken pieces to a shallow baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven 30 minutes

drinkblink14.gif

INGREDIENTS

• 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 teaspoons paprika

• Dipping Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, stir together oil, yogurt, ketchup, and mustard. Season with garlic powder, paprika, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, and curry powder. Stir in chicken pieces, coating all sides with marinade. Cover bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
  2. To make dipping sauce, mix together mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, and salt. Cover, and refrigerate.
  4. Transfer chicken pieces to a shallow baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven 30 minutes

I just wanted to add that I left out the mayonnaise because I don't eat it and it still was a good recipe.

drinkblink14.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

INGREDIENTS

• 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 teaspoons paprika

• Dipping Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

I am making this tomorrow enchallah!

Supernatural Brownies

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/dining/1...agewanted=print

April 11, 2007

Recipe: Supernatural Brownies

Adapted from “Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers,” by Nick Malgieri (Morrow Cookbooks, 1998)

Time: About 1 hour

2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, more for pan and parchment paper

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate

4 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup dark brown sugar, such as muscovado

1 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup flour

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 3/4 cup whole walnuts, optional.

1. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and line with buttered parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, or on low power in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Cool slightly. In a large bowl or mixer, whisk eggs. Whisk in salt, sugars and vanilla.

2. Whisk in chocolate mixture. Fold in flour just until combined. If using chopped walnuts, stir them in. Pour batter into prepared pan. If using whole walnuts, arrange on top of batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top. Cool in pan on rack.

Yield: 15 large or 24 small brownies.

Note: For best flavor, bake 1 day before serving, let cool and store, tightly wrapped.

drinkblink14.gif

Mango Couscous

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes...uscous/printer/

The Washington Post, November 8, 2006

• Cuisine: African

• Course: Side Dish

• Features: Fast, Meatless

Summary:

Who knew that tomato, raisins and mango go so well together? This is a very fruity, pretty and easy side dish.

4 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 cup couscous

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 1 medium clove garlic, minced

• Flesh of 1 mango, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 cup)

• 1 jalapeño chili pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped

• 1/2 cup dark raisins

• 1 medium tomato, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped

• Juice of 1 lime

• 1/4 cup loosely packed small cilantro sprigs, finely chopped

• 1/4 cup loosely packed small flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped

• Salt

Directions:

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, mango and jalapeño chili pepper and cook about 5 minutes, until the mango begins to color lightly. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the couscous, raisins, tomato, lime juice, cilantro and parsley, stirring to combine. Cook long enough just to heat through. Season with salt to taste. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Recipe Source:

Adapted from "The Soul of a New Cuisine," by Marcus Samuelsson (Wiley, 2006).

318 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 58g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 7g protein.

Tested by Pam Kendrick for The Washington Post.

E-mail the Food Section at food@washpost.com with recipe questions.

drinkblink14.gif

[*]Dipping Sauce:

[*]1/2 cup mayonnaise

[*]1 cup plain low-fat yogurt

[*]3 cloves garlic, minced

[*]1/4 teaspoon salt

I just wanted to add that I left out the mayonnaise because I don't eat it and it still was a good recipe.

I was going to say . . . . I LOVE shish tawook with garlic sauce . . . the garlickey the better . . . but NO mayonnaise . . . use some tahina instead maybe?? But I'd make it with just the garlic, salt and yoghurt . . .yummmmmmmmm, garlic oozes from the pores. I think I'll take that chicken out of the freezer right now . . . I have lots of garlic to mash up, hehe!!!

Oh, I just saw the Mango couscous recipe . . . I have some mango chutney . . . I wonder if that would make a good substitute!!

Edited by cbd2cai

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
ive made the supernatural brownies a few times before! very delicious if you like the chewy/fudgy kind of brownie (which is what i prefer. i HATE cakey brownies)

highly recommended:)

ive made the supernatural brownies a few times before! very delicious if you like the chewy/fudgy kind of brownie (which is what i prefer. i HATE cakey brownies)

highly recommended:)

I made them yesterday evening to have at my side while watching Grey's Anatomy and you are so right Jen, they were awesome!

drinkblink14.gif

[*]Dipping Sauce:

[*]1/2 cup mayonnaise

[*]1/4 teaspoon salt

I was going to say . . . . I LOVE shish tawook with garlic sauce . . . the garlickey the better . . . but NO mayonnaise . . . use some tahina instead maybe?? But I'd make it with just the garlic, salt and yoghurt . . .yummmmmmmmm, garlic oozes from the pores. I think I'll take that chicken out of the freezer right now . . . I have lots of garlic to mash up, hehe!!!

Oh, I just saw the Mango couscous recipe . . . I have some mango chutney . . . I wonder if that would make a good substitute!!

Yes that is exactly what I did,I just made it with the garlic, salt and yogurt and if I have a lime, I squeeze that in too. It is very good!

drinkblink14.gif

[*]Dipping Sauce:

[*]1/2 cup mayonnaise

[*]1/4 teaspoon salt

Yes that is exactly what I did,I just made it with the garlic, salt and yogurt and if I have a lime, I squeeze that in too. It is very good!

Lime!!! I was thinking about that and fresh limes were right there!!! Well, I can add some now because I have LEFTOVERS!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I was in Jordan we ate in a little hole in the wall place that had the best food! We had rice that had almonds, cashews, brocolli, and cauliflour in it. I would love to have the recipe if anyone has it. I tried it at home, and the result was close but not perfect, the spices were off.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.