Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Oh that is becuase its for a deep dish pan pizza. If your not making the deep dish then you would use less oil and of course a pan that is allot slimmer. Also if you want a more cunchier crust if your not making a deep dish pizza you can oil your pan and add your pizza dough and let it cook for about 10 min then take it out of the oven and then follow through with the recepi by adding the sauceand all of your toppings and then return it to the oven until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown.

Thanks, that sounds much healthier for my thighs :lol:

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: Timeline

Spiced potatoes!

1 lb small new potatoes

2 tb olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 ts grated fresh ginger

1/2 ts ground turmeric

1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped

1 ts ground cumin

1 tb chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel the thin skin from the potatoes and place them in a

large saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce the

heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set

aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then cook

the onion for 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add the

ginger root, tumeric, hot pepper, cumin and a pinch of salt

and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.

Add the potatoes and toss them in the spices until well

coated. Transfer to a baking dish, shaking any remaining

spice mixture over the top. Bake for about 20 minutes, or

until tender to the point of a sharp knife. Sprinkle with

cilantro just before serving.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

So, my cookings not the best, and my husband has been patiently putting up with my boxed dinners that I've made. But, starting today, I've turned over a new leaf. I've been getting Kraft's Free "food & family" magazine for over a year, and haven't made anything from it yet. Well, I sat down and picked out three main dishes and 3 side dishes that I will make this week inshaAllah! I went groccery shopping today, so now I have all the ingredients and can't make excuses.

I made my first meal today - turkey meatloaf and roasted green beans with peppers and onions. My husband's tummy was very very happy. And, we have leftovers! So, if I can make 3 or 4 meals a week, and have left overs, we'll be good to go!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I found this website, Zamouri Spices. It has alot of Moroccan and North African spices.

Meriem (F)

Ooo, those look great. One thing I've learned to do when I buy spices is to take my husband with me and make him smell everything before I buy it, so I don't end up with things he doesn't like. I found zatar at penzy's and was like, oooo ME spice! He'll love it! Ummm, nope, he doesn't like zatar :unsure:

Let us know if you order from there.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I found this website, Zamouri Spices. It has alot of Moroccan and North African spices.

Meriem (F)

Ooo, those look great. One thing I've learned to do when I buy spices is to take my husband with me and make him smell everything before I buy it, so I don't end up with things he doesn't like. I found zatar at penzy's and was like, oooo ME spice! He'll love it! Ummm, nope, he doesn't like zatar :unsure:

The Imam from the mosque has a small Middle Eastern restaurant. After Friday prayers we went to eat lunch there. Hachemi ordered zatar bread with his meal. He really liked it. It wasnt to bad. I really enjoyed the food. I cant wait to go back again. Has anyone heard of "black seed", the nigella seed. Hachemi uses it as a home remedy for a variety of things. If anyone has access to an arabic store and can get some for me, I would appreciate it so much. :thumbs:

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

Meriem (F)

The Imam from the mosque has a small Middle Eastern restaurant. After Friday prayers we went to eat lunch there. Hachemi ordered zatar bread with his meal. He really liked it. It wasnt to bad. I really enjoyed the food. I cant wait to go back again. Has anyone heard of "black seed", the nigella seed. Hachemi uses it as a home remedy for a variety of things. If anyone has access to an arabic store and can get some for me, I would appreciate it so much. :thumbs:

Meriem (F)

There is a store around me that sells black seed and I asked the lady who ran the store what it's use was and she gave me a sheet that listed some of its purposes, but most of it seemed rather.... um.... unlikely.

However, who am I to dismiss it without having tried it! :D

Also, you can probably order it online pretty easily.

What does Hachemi say that it's good for?

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

meriem, here is a WONDERFUL online store you can buy those seeds and almost anything else you can imagine. the actual store is here in NYC. I love to go there and buy new ingredients all the time.

http://www.kalustyans.com/

Nigella Seeds aka Kalunji

aka Habbal Barakah/ Wild Black Onion Seeds / Kali Jeera (Bangladesh) /Black Cumin Seed (but its not really cumin)

Nigella is used a lot in Indian cuisine. But also sprinkled in the dough of Middle Eastern breads. It is also used to help cure indigestion.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

baghrir (spongy crepes)

if anyone is interested...

today i practiced making my soon to be mother in law's baghrir recipe she taught me in morocco. i had not measured anything but this is a rough estimate. its realllllllly easy to do! there are all kinds of recipes calling for eggs, milk, and two kinds of flours but i love this one! its also lower in fat. but once you top it with honey/butter that goes out the window;)

in the cup of a blender combine:

fill half the blender with slightly warm water (not hot!!!)

about 1 pound of semolina. maybe slightly over.

1 T salt

2 packages of dry yeast

blend until smooth. pour into a bowl, cover, and let it set until you see lots of bubbles on top. at least 10 minutes or more.

then ladel into a non-stick pan , (no cooking spray needed), swirl around to make a pancake shape, and cook on about medium heat.

it should bubble up all over the surface, once you see it almost all the way cooked, flip the pancake over and cook for another 10 seconds on that side. then remove. its mostly cooked on that one side.

baghrir.jpg

then a delicious topping is to melt 1/2 butter 1/2 honey in a pan and drizzle on top.

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I'm wondering if she means 1 tablespoon of salt or one teaspoon. I can't imagine using a tablespoon of salt in anything!

Timeline

you can't imagine using a tablespoon of salt in anything? many things call for way more than one tablespoon. you should see how much we put in your food in a restaurant. hehe

but this recipe does make a lot of pancakes. i should have said what it yielded (which is about 16 pancakes depending on how big you make them)

you can easily cut this recipe in half :)

also i don't know if you need flour. i used the finer grained semolina (not like a powder) and it blends smooth in the blender. you should be able to find that easily.

Edited by abdounjen

world-map.jpg

Timeline
i should have said what it yielded (which is about 16 pancakes depending on how big you make them)

:thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
baghrir (spongy crepes)

if anyone is interested...

today i practiced making my soon to be mother in law's baghrir recipe she taught me in morocco. i had not measured anything but this is a rough estimate. its realllllllly easy to do! there are all kinds of recipes calling for eggs, milk, and two kinds of flours but i love this one! its also lower in fat. but once you top it with honey/butter that goes out the window;)

in the cup of a blender combine:

fill half the blender with slightly warm water (not hot!!!)

about 1 pound of semolina. maybe slightly over.

1 T salt

2 packages of dry yeast

blend until smooth. pour into a bowl, cover, and let it set until you see lots of bubbles on top. at least 10 minutes or more.

then ladel into a non-stick pan , (no cooking spray needed), swirl around to make a pancake shape, and cook on about medium heat.

it should bubble up all over the surface, once you see it almost all the way cooked, flip the pancake over and cook for another 10 seconds on that side. then remove. its mostly cooked on that one side.

baghrir.jpg

then a delicious topping is to melt 1/2 butter 1/2 honey in a pan and drizzle on top.

Those look so good Jen I'm going to make them this week! Now I'm waiting for you to try out a recipe for msemmen, the other crepes.

Edited by sarah and hicham

Filed: Timeline

Oooh...I wish you all the best of luck on that! Make sure you go to a bigger supermarket like Carrefour to get the ingredients. They have more imported goods there so you may find a lot of what you need. Plan a menu with simple ingredients that you know will be easy to find. Do you know any recipes for Egyptian or Arabic food?

Just what I'm getting from here. Do you have that one for the stuff with the red sauce on top? I think it's couscous but I'm not too sure. I think they'd like that.

Last night he was attempting to make something with liver, onions and tomatoes. He was on the phone with a guy friend who was trying to coach him via his wife. I really feel bad because up until a month ago he never ever ever cooked (not even boil an egg or made tea), did laundry or cleaned. Now he was suddenly deserted and has to learn it all from scratch.

So apparently he likes liver so any recipes with liver would be good. He had to specifically state "cow liver, not the liver from a bull". Okkkk...whatevaaah. I've only had chicken liver myself. :whistle:

Oh liver is the easiest thing to cook. I really dont like liver but the rest of my family does. My mom cooks it like this

Season the liver with salt, pepper, and garlic.

Heat up a pan with a tiny bit oil and brown the liver. When its nice and brown you throw in some choped up slices of tomatoes, slices of onions and and if you want it to be a bit spicy you can also add few slices of green jalapeno chiles. ( not the pickled kind the fresh one) . Turn the liver over a few times so that it can cook well on both sides. If your hubby likes onions you can also sautee a few more onion slices on another pan and when they are nice and tender and a golden remove them from the fire. Place the extra onions on a plate and squeez a bit of lemon juice on them and add a dash of salt to taste and serve it on the side of your liver or on top.... and thats it it bobs your uncle LOL.

You know that almost sounds like something I'd even eat!! hahaha!! Thanks! I'll keep that one for when he finally gets here. I personally can't stand liver but maybe I will try it once.

I tried this recipe for Chicken Tikki Masala and it rocked!!!

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup yogurt

* 1 tablespoon lemon juice

* 2 teaspoons ground cumin

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

* 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

* 4 teaspoons salt, or to taste

* 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

* 4 long skewers

* 1 tablespoon butter

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

* 2 teaspoons ground cumin

* 2 teaspoons paprika

* 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste

* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

* 1 cup heavy cream

* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 4 teaspoons salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Preheat a grill for high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.

4. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 3 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

The only thing I changed was that I didn't grill the chicken on a skewer, instead I just kind of browned it in a pan with some oil before mixing it with everything else.

I made this Naan too and my kids liked it but I wasn't too thrilled with it so I'd be interested in more of those recipes as well:

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

* 1 cup warm water

* 1/4 cup white sugar

* 3 tablespoons milk

* 1 egg, beaten

* 2 teaspoons salt

* 4 1/2 cups bread flour

* 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)

* 1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.

2. Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3. During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.

4. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

Well well I just made some mexican green enchiladas f stuff with onions and cheese for my family. That went down pretty well. I am now marinating my chicken to make the chicken tikka massala. Im a bit worried as the directions calls for 4 teaspoons of salt. Well I did it step by step and Im just a bit worrid the the marinade is a bit salty! I hope it works out. I plan to cook this for tomorrow so I figured that I would marinate the chicken over night and cook it when I get home from work. Im a bit nervous. I suppose if the recepi calls for 4 teaspoons then it should be ok. Im just freaking out because this is the first time Im going to feed my family Indian food and I want them to have a good experince. I love food from all over the world and Im trying to broden their taste budes. The first time I had this dish years ago I became a fan of it. Well im just freaking out. I just noticed right now that it says 4 teaspoons of salt or to taste1 akkkkkkkkkkkk Should I cut down the saltiniess with plain yougurt? Or will it be ok because its just a marinade and the salt will die down after I throw in the cream and tomato sauce tomorrow? :help:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.