Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I'm guessing Tamer is closer to Cairo :) Cairo ppl call it tameya and Alex ppl call it falafel.

Halfway between Cairo and Alex. Mahalla el Kubra.

I've never tried making falafel at home. It's so much easier to just go out and buy it like JP said. I may have to learn how to make it at home though. Falafel here is a lot different than the kind I had in Kafr Dawar. It's more like a patty and is made with fava beans. Anyone have a recipe for that?

My husband has been ok with the box stuff. I'm not sure if Alex stuff is different from the Cairo variety though :unsure:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
How you baba ghanouj working out now?

:thumbs: My friends really liked it. I can't wait for the summer farmer's markets, so I can get good eggplants again.

We have them year-round here, I can send you some! :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

I don't know how they'd survive the freezing weather up here in mail. I'll have to look at the grocery store more often up here.

Next on the schedule for my culinary adventure - lamb ribs. I think I'll just get some bbq sauce from the grocery store and bake. But, it's gonna have to be good bbq sauce for these babies.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I don't know how they'd survive the freezing weather up here in mail. I'll have to look at the grocery store more often up here.

Next on the schedule for my culinary adventure - lamb ribs. I think I'll just get some bbq sauce from the grocery store and bake. But, it's gonna have to be good bbq sauce for these babies.

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee rack of lamb. They always have it at Costco, Australian rack of lamb....sooooooo good.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Timeline

We had a movie night tonight in my house so I had to put the chicken tikka on hold. Will do it soon though as I went shopping and got all the ingredients. I did cook other yummy stuff for our movie matine I made, buffalo wings, home made apple pie, bourbon chicken, and pizza from scratch. Yum now I feel like i need to be rolled down the stairs! LOL If any one is intrested in any of this let me know and i will post the recepi. =0)

I went to an Oriental market recently and they had the asian eggplants (smaller and thinner). You might check there too. We have eggplant in the store here in Texas so I guess where ever they are getting it from it won't freeze in-transit.

LOL, I've got a co-worker that liked the hummous we had at Fadi's and she asked about a recipe. So I sent her hummous and babaganoug . . . so now she is going to try the babganoug too!! Yummmmm, I need to go get some eggplants myself!

Timeline

I made the lamb ribs last night - simple and delicious. I made them in the style of my grandfather's baby back ribs - boiled for 30 min, then cooked in the oven smothered in bbq sauce. My tummy was very very happy.

irhal.jpg

I made the lamb ribs last night - simple and delicious. I made them in the style of my grandfather's baby back ribs - boiled for 30 min, then cooked in the oven smothered in bbq sauce. My tummy was very very happy.

Oh, yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! :thumbs:

I guess your morning workout helped to even things out after a happy feed!!!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
We had a movie night tonight in my house so I had to put the chicken tikka on hold. Will do it soon though as I went shopping and got all the ingredients. I did cook other yummy stuff for our movie matine I made, buffalo wings, home made apple pie, bourbon chicken, and pizza from scratch. Yum now I feel like i need to be rolled down the stairs! LOL If any one is intrested in any of this let me know and i will post the recepi. =0)

I'd love a good recipe for pizza dough. Now that I can eat pizza, I'd love to make it myself instead of buying it from a pizza joint or buying frozen.

:)

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Timeline
I'd love a good recipe for pizza dough. Now that I can eat pizza, I'd love to make it myself instead of buying it from a pizza joint or buying frozen.

While I don't make my own pizza dough, I do make my own mini pizzas - with pitas. I cut it in half, so I have 2 circles, then apply my own toppings, like pesto, or olive oil.

irhal.jpg

Timeline

While I don't make my own pizza dough, I do make my own mini pizzas - with pitas. I cut it in half, so I have 2 circles, then apply my own toppings, like pesto, or olive oil.

Ah, that's a good idea.

I know when I was a kid, my grandma used to make them with english muffin halves. My memories of grandma always involve food for some reason. I miss grammy.

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ah, that's a good idea.

I know when I was a kid, my grandma used to make them with english muffin halves. My memories of grandma always involve food for some reason. I miss grammy.

here's a really good pizza dough!

1 tsp active dry yeast

1 cup warm H2O

3 cups all purpose flour - plus more as needed

1.5 tsp salt

Disolve the yeast in the water and combine the salt and flour.

the recipe writer actually uses a ceramic bowl and a wooden spoon to get started(mixing the wet and dry, then turns it out and kneeds it by hand. You can also use a KitchenAid standmixer with the dough hook, and get the same results.

From this point, it's pretty standard dough making technique.

Kneed or mix until it forms a nice smooth-ish ball. Then place it in a medium-large bowl, coat it with olive oil, cover with a towel and let it rise for 1-2 hours. Punch it down gently, divide it into smaller portions, and refridgerate for 12-24 hours.

Pull it out of the fridge and let it rest for 15 min before working with it. It will pull back some while you're shaping it. The idea is to stretch 2 inches and give 1 back. If it seems to pull back too much or even starts to break up, just let it rest for 15 minutes before working with it again. It doesn't need to be perfect, and it doesn't need to be round.

Top it with whatever you want...

Then bake it on a stone if you have one.... or preheat your oven (highest temp you can. 500+?) and put a cookie sheet in there to preheat along with it. then slip your pizza on the preheated cookie sheet or stone.

yum:)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Here is the recepi for my pizza

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup Warm water (105F)

1/4 cup Non-fat dry milk

1/2 teaspoon Salt

4 cups Flour

1 tablespoon Sugar

1 pk. Dry yeast

2 tablespoons Vegetable oil (for dough)

9 ounces Vegetable oil (3 oz. per pan)

Butter flavored Pam

***Sauce: ***

1 (8 Ounce) Can Tomato Sauce

1 teaspoon Dry Oregano

1/2 teaspoon Marjoram

1/2 teaspoon Dry Basil

1/2 teaspoon Garlic salt

Directions for dough:

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large (2 qt.) bowl. Add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed. Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Divide dough into three balls. In three 9" cake pans, put 3 Oz. of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9" circle. Place in cake pans. Spray the outer edge of dough with Pam. Cover with a plate. Place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

For Each Nine Inch Pizza: 1. Preheat oven to 475F 2. Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on dough and spread to within 1" of edge. 3. Distribute 1 1/2 Oz. shredded mozzarella cheese on sauce. 4. Place your toppings of choice in this order: meats, veggies, cheese. Expample: Pepperoni or Ham Chicken, (cooked ground sausage or beef or turkey) 5. Top with 3 Oz. mozzarella cheese 6. Cook until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown.

This recipe is for Original Pan Pizza serves/makes 4

Tell me how it comes out! My family loves this!!! =0)

Timeline
Here is the recepi for my pizza

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup Warm water (105F)

1/4 cup Non-fat dry milk

1/2 teaspoon Salt

4 cups Flour

1 tablespoon Sugar

1 pk. Dry yeast

2 tablespoons Vegetable oil (for dough)

9 ounces Vegetable oil (3 oz. per pan)

Butter flavored Pam

***Sauce: ***

1 (8 Ounce) Can Tomato Sauce

1 teaspoon Dry Oregano

1/2 teaspoon Marjoram

1/2 teaspoon Dry Basil

1/2 teaspoon Garlic salt

Directions for dough:

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large (2 qt.) bowl. Add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed. Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Divide dough into three balls. In three 9" cake pans, put 3 Oz. of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9" circle. Place in cake pans. Spray the outer edge of dough with Pam. Cover with a plate. Place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

For Each Nine Inch Pizza: 1. Preheat oven to 475F 2. Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on dough and spread to within 1" of edge. 3. Distribute 1 1/2 Oz. shredded mozzarella cheese on sauce. 4. Place your toppings of choice in this order: meats, veggies, cheese. Expample: Pepperoni or Ham Chicken, (cooked ground sausage or beef or turkey) 5. Top with 3 Oz. mozzarella cheese 6. Cook until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown.

This recipe is for Original Pan Pizza serves/makes 4

Tell me how it comes out! My family loves this!!! =0)

It sounds really yummy but I'm worried about the 3 oz of oil for each pizza. Do you suppose it would still be okay without all that oil??

Oh that is becuase its for a deep dish pan pizza. If your not making the deep dish then you would use less oil and of course a pan that is allot slimmer. Also if you want a more cunchier crust if your not making a deep dish pizza you can oil your pan and add your pizza dough and let it cook for about 10 min then take it out of the oven and then follow through with the recepi by adding the sauceand all of your toppings and then return it to the oven until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.