541 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This was what I was thinking for my wife. Easy to use, small etc.

http://www.stungunmall.com/taser-c2.html

Thats one item btw I don't understand why its illegal in the UK. Whilst misuse can occur, its still not lethal. Its laws like that where I do wonder if politicians want people to be victims.

They can kill people, so yes it can be lethal.

Taser Safety Issues

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

They can kill people, so yes it can be lethal.

Taser Safety Issues

Deep down in there it says 2 deaths resulted from the use of tasters over a study group of 1000 uses, thats pretty acceptable by police standards. You generally can't get the same power level here in the US on the civilian market as the police have.

I just think its odd that its banned. But then again I thought it was odd when I was told to make sure I had a baseball in the house so that in case an intruder was struck by my bat, it wouldn't be classified as a weapon yada yada.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Deep down in there it says 2 deaths resulted from the use of tasters over a study group of 1000 uses, thats pretty acceptable by police standards. You generally can't get the same power level here in the US on the civilian market as the police have.

I just think its odd that its banned. But then again I thought it was odd when I was told to make sure I had a baseball in the house so that in case an intruder was struck by my bat, it wouldn't be classified as a weapon yada yada.

Going from a vicious culture to a gentile one is every bit as disorienting as the other way round

I have to realize that I can get killed in certain areas of north central Milwaukee - you have to realize you wont get killed in the UK and it's a garden of Eden in comparison

It's a big adjustment for both of us

No machine gun required in Cheltenham or Harrogate - just an appreciation for flower beds

KN32362.jpg

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Killing people is wrong. It might be acceptable in the US but it isn't acceptable in the UK.

The United Nations Committee Against Torture (UNCAT), an agency charged with overseeing the application of the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, arrived at the conclusion on November 23, 2007, that the use of the electric pulse Taser gun constitutes a "form of torture" and "can even provoke death." The U.N. has thus declared: "TASER electronic stun guns are a form of torture that can kill.

Timeline

Killing people is wrong. It might be acceptable in the US but it isn't acceptable in the UK.

What I'm getting at is that if the police model has a rate of 2 per 1000 and a civilian model is weaker the rate could potentially be null.

Why bad something that can be used safely 99% of the time for self defense? Why not make a logical law that says "If you ease someone without just cause you go to jail"

Timeline

What I'm getting at is that if the police model has a rate of 2 per 1000 and a civilian model is weaker the rate could potentially be null.

Why bad something that can be used safely 99% of the time for self defense? Why not make a logical law that says "If you ease someone without just cause you go to jail"

Because UK is not USA. It is not OK to kill people there.

Timeline

Going from a vicious culture to a gentile one is every bit as disorienting as the other way round

I have to realize that I can get killed in certain areas of north central Milwaukee - you have to realize you wont get killed in the UK and it's a garden of Eden in comparison

It's a big adjustment for both of us

No machine gun required in Cheltenham or Harrogate - just an appreciation for flower beds

KN32362.jpg

I know better than that. Its all about the neighborhood your in. I've only been near one shooting in my life where I heard the shot and the person died. It happened to be in Bristol on Gloucester Rd.

Because UK is not USA. It is not OK to kill people there.

Its not designed to kill people.

Timeline

I know better than that. Its all about the neighborhood your in. I've only been near one shooting in my life where I heard the shot and the person died. It happened to be in Bristol on Gloucester Rd.

When was that? I've never heard of a shooting there.

Its not designed to kill people.

It is a torture device that CAN kill people.

Timeline

The UK has the mind set that even if 1% of people are left without healthcare, that is not acceptable

Same with the 1% of people killed with tazers

It's a deep essential difference in the cultural make up of the two countries

The Brits don't sacrifice individuals for the good of the majority. The US does.

the Brits would rather be poorer as a whole than leave one person behind

Its the thinking that gave birth to the NHS

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Not even the apparently enlightened principle of the ‘greatest good for the greatest number’ can excuse indifference to individual suffering. There is no test for progress other than its impact on the individual.

Aneurin Bevan - In Place of Fear (William Heinemann Ltd, London, 1952), p. 167-8.

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Yeah, I forget that it changes part of the way down.

There's another road in between it too. Stokes Croft is in the hood, Gloucester Rd is a respectable area. Shootings in nightclubs are not that unusual unfortunately, due to drugs and gangs. :(

Timeline

The UK has the mind set that even if 1% of people are left without healthcare, that is not acceptable

Same with the 1% of people killed with tazers

It's a deep essential difference in the cultural make up of the two countries

The Brits don't sacrifice individuals for the good of the majority. The US does.

the Brits would rather be poorer as a whole than leave one person behind

Its the thinking that gave birth to the NHS

2 of 1000 is .2%

For all we know civilian models might be as low as .02%

If they care about people so much, why didn't they pass the round knife law, or the law that pint glasses should be made of unbreakable material. Or why haven't they built massive barriers to stop ppl killing themselves on the rail lines or the tube?