541 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

is that your final answer, or would you like to phone a friend?

Here:

FBI Agents To Monitor New Orleans Police

Two FBI agents will be stationed full time in the NOPD's Public Integrity Bureau, the department and the FBI jointly announced this week. The agents, whose presence was requested by the NOPD, will investigate allegations of significant corruption or civil rights violations in the department.

"I can't tell you how important this is," said U.S. Attorney Jim Letten, whose office has recently led several high-profile prosecutions of NOPD officers. "We are in the process of groundbreaking reform."

This is not the first time the FBI has stationed agents within the NOPD to fight corruption -- in the mid-90s, it became the first department to ever have FBI agents in its public integrity department after a series of shocking scandals that peaked when Officer Len Davis ordered a hit on a civilian who filed a complaint after witnessing him beating a neighborhood teenager. The order was inadvertently recorded by federal officials who were investigating Davis' involvement in a cocaine ring.

The FBI and NOPD halted the initial agreement in 2005, after Hurricane Katrina hit and the FBI redirected its resources towards Katrina-related fraud cases. But it's a number of high-profile police shootings in the days immediately following Katrina -- six of which FRONTLINE has been investigating with our partners at ProPublica and the New Orleans Times-Picayune -- that have brought the FBI back to New Orleans.

This summer, five NOPD officers were convicted for their roles in shooting of six unarmed civilians on the Danziger Bridge and covering up the crime. Two of the civilians died in the shootings and four were gravely wounded. An additional five officers have pleaded guilty in the case.

And two NOPD officers have been sentenced to at least 17 years in prison for their roles in shooting Henry Glover and then burning a parked car containing his body.

In March, the Justice Department released a scathing report that found "systemic violations of civil rights" by the NOPD.

In addition to the new FBI presence, the NOPD and the Justice Department are in the midst of working out a consent decree with the aim to foster "fundamental culture change" in the department. Upon its implementation, the consent decree is expected to govern the department for years.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well its pretty reliable with a few modifications. On mine the caps can jam the action which is caused by the hammer pulling them off. I added a weld on the hammer that covers up the notch and it fixed it.

bp cap & ball ... they are awesome to shoot !!!

what kind of crimp did you put on the cap when loading?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

bp cap & ball ... they are awesome to shoot !!!

what kind of crimp did you put on the cap when loading?

Remington No. 10s fit without any pinching on the 1851. On the Remington New Army I use a CCI No 10 since its smaller.

Basically I load them up into a Ted Cash capper and slip them on pretty quickly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's the truth. The FBI said NOPD has some of the worst corruption it has ever seen. Who do us marshals and the national guard report to?

yet they still answer to the mayor.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

us marshals and the national guard?

the nopd.

although i suppose you could google who the us marshals and ng report to.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Yes it would indeed penalize both, but the only way to stop leakage of hand guns to the criminals is to eliminate them totally

Same with legal hand guns , they get stolen or sold or pawned and the next minute they are in circulation

It's a cost/benefit analysis where the cost is lots of dead americans and the benefit is people having a different kind of gun to shoot for fun

75% of americans are white and many of the hand gun victims are black - I think this affects the degree to which americans generally, care about the problem, or even see it as a problem

Scratch most problems in American society and the race thing is lurking not far below the surface - and it only comes out in private

Your best post in the thread. Bravo! I am out of +1's for the day, so I give it a :thumbs:

This is what I alluded to in an earlier post that you couldn't connect the dots. A bunch of white guys at a gun club don't start shooting each other, but Boyz in the Hood think nothing of bustin a cap in yur azz. So access to handguns isn't the reason for so many handgun related incident's. Why is this so? What gives people no regard for the repercussion's of their actions that could lead to the death penalty or a life behind bars? Why do people hold 0 regard for others?

African Americans comprise 15% of the population and 50% of the gun related deaths with the vast majority of the murdered by their own. Why is that? I don't know what the answer is to this question, but anytime there's a discussion about it, it reverts back to slavery or this external factor or that, never any inward look at what could be done from within to stop this self destruction. And if there's any straight talk coming from their own community regarding their own actions, that member gets a wrist slap or ostracized as a sellout. White people aren't totally innocent in regards to the plight of today's African American's, but neither should today's African-American's be totally absolved of any blame.

Prohibition of items isn't the answer to problems. Alcohol causes 100% of alcohol related traffic fatalities. Why not rail against alcohol? Since that is more likely to affect you or your family. You're most likely not black and not a gang member, so your odds of being shot are low, in comparison to a drunk driver killing you or a family member. We've tried to outlaw alcohol here before, it was a dismal failure. To outlaw guns would result in the same. It doesn't solve the reason why some people have a higher propensity to kill or maim or break laws in general.

Edited by kytwell

If I hand my handgun in, what difference would that make to gun crime in the USA ?

Why would legally armed individuals turning in weapons change crime at all? If you're not a law breaker - you're not a law breaker.

The argument you're making is akin to outlawing cars so people will stop stealing them. "But if none of us have cars then the bad guys won't use cars to perpetrate crimes."

You are absolutely right. If you outlaw handguns, handgun deaths will decrease significantly. But have you fixed the problem? You're still whining about the 15,000+ urban youth who kill each other. Do you know any of them? Have you personally spent time with them? How often do you hang out in their homes?

You can take away their means to kill each other but you'll do nothing to stop the cause.

75% of americans are white and many of the hand gun victims are black - I think this affects the degree to which americans generally, care about the problem, or even see it as a problem

Scratch most problems in American society and the race thing is lurking not far below the surface - and it only comes out in private

You've hit the nail on the head and it's a problem nobody wants to discuss. The simple fact of the matter is - for most people, it doesn't exist. It's not a problem. So what if 15,000+ urban youth were killed last year? How many of them did you know personally?

The thing about crime and punishment in the US is it's only a problem if it seeps out of the cities and into the suburbs. Until then, nobody cares. And, as long as there's a good supply of people to rape, rob, and kill in our cities, the "problem" will be self-contained.

no it didn't. it resticted the sale of. anyone with a 1/2 a hacksaw blade & a pair of tin snips can turn an ar-15 into a full auto in 5 minutes and back to semi just as fast.

I'm not sure where you got your armorer's training (I'm guessing YouTube) but contrary to what you've seen on TV, it's not that simple.

Isn't that what he said?

david_koresh2.jpg

How is he doing today?

Ask Randy Weaver.

If there is a 10 year minimum penalty for possession of an illegal handgun,

Many states, including mine, have gun specs attached to felonies that make it "more illegal" to do a crime with a gun. It doesn't seem to have curbed gun crime.

You know what does seem to have an effect? Armed citizens!

I take it you concede that guns can be taken away and there really isn't a first thing you can do about it.

Penalties work

If penalties work, why do we still have gun crime?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Who do they report to?

google.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Your best post in the thread. Bravo! I am out of +1's for the day, so I give it a :thumbs:

This is what I alluded to in an earlier post that you couldn't connect the dots. A bunch of white guys at a gun club don't start shooting each other, but Boyz in the Hood think nothing of bustin a cap in yur azz. So access to handguns isn't the reason for so many handgun related incident's. Why is this so? What gives people no regard for the repercussion's of their actions that could lead to the death penalty or a life behind bars? Why do people hold 0 regard for others?

African Americans comprise 15% of the population and 50% of the gun related deaths with the vast majority of the murdered by their own. Why is that? I don't know what the answer is to this question, but anytime there's a discussion about it, it reverts back to slavery or this external factor or that, never any inward look at what could be done from within to stop this self destruction. And if there's any straight talk coming from their own community regarding their own actions, that member gets a wrist slap or ostracized as a sellout. White people aren't totally innocent in regards to the plight of today's African American's, but neither should today's African-American's be totally absolved of any blame.

Prohibition of items isn't the answer to problems. Alcohol causes 100% of alcohol related traffic fatalities. Why not rail against alcohol? Since that is more likely to affect you or your family. You're most likely not black and not a gang member, so your odds of being shot are low, in comparison to a drunk driver killing you or a family member. We've tried to outlaw alcohol here before, it was a dismal failure. To outlaw guns would result in the same. It doesn't solve the reason why some people have a higher propensity to kill or maim or break laws in general.

I was going to say that Barack Obama and Colin Powell show that African Americans can be wonderful upstanding citizens - then I realized they are both nearly white - so bad examples ! Heck Mohammed Ali and Oprah are nearly white too - drat !

ok let me start again - there are many fine black people so they DONT have to be that way. I cant apportion blame but when you move house and turn your cat loose in the street, it become feral and wild. When all the other neighbors kick it, and throw water at it, it makes it worse. That's what happened in 1865

I cant blame the cat, only the 'owner' and that's what they were - they were owners

So no I don't cut ANY slack for ANY criminal, but white people did cause the initial damage, and just because we have evaded the consequences for 150 years doesn't mean the damage is repaired

I don't believe in positive discrimination but I do believe in improving everyone's situations and getting those guns away from the disaffected youth would greatly help

moresheep400100.jpg

I was going to say that Barack Obama and Colin Powell show that African Americans can be wonderful upstanding citizens - then I realized they are both nearly white - so bad examples ! Heck Mohammed Ali and Oprah are nearly white too - drat !

ok let me start again - there are many fine black people so they DONT have to be that way. I cant apportion blame but when you move house and turn your cat loose in the street, it become feral and wild. When all the other neighbors kick it, and throw water at it, it makes it worse. That's what happened in 1865

I cant blame the cat, only the 'owner' and that's what they were - they were owners

So no I don't cut ANY slack for ANY criminal, but white people did cause the initial damage, and just because we have evaded the consequences for 150 years doesn't mean the damage is repaired

I don't believe in positive discrimination but I do believe in improving everyone's situations and getting those guns away from the disaffected youth would greatly help

liberal-progressives-shout-racism.jpg

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:thumbs:

Timeline

I want you to tell me the answer.

noted. but unlikely to happen as you can easily google that.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *