msheesha

Ramadan 2012

117 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Speaking of drinks, has anyone tried karkaday (hibiscus tea)? I saw some at the health food store and it looked intriguing. I asked Mohamed about it and he said it was good. Has anyone else tried it and liked it?

i think it's refreshing but all of the places i have had it (egypt included) has a super watery taste.

Working in Turkmenistan, spouse is with me. 

Dealing with the NVC process...

Check out Timeline for questions :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Mohamed said he preferred it cold, as well.

Another beverage that I really loved in Egypt was aseer asab. I didn't think I would like it but it's so good! I had it every chance I could get.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Interesting, sounds good and very healthy. Never tried hibiscus tea, but I heard it's good. Anyone have ayran (Im sure there is an equivalent in other countries)? It's a salty yogurt drink....my husband loves it...me? Yuck lol

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Vimto is the special iftar drink in my family. I only ever buy it during Ramadan and it has to be the concentrate cordial that you mix, not the ready-made stuff :thumbs:

mmmmm...Vimto

Hibiscus tea can make a fun special treat too when brewed very strongly, really sweetened and then frozen in small plastic baggies, then slit the corner and eat it like a popsicle. Tangy and sweet, love it

Ramadan Karim

Filed: Timeline

yeah, i've had a sip of lassi, salted, and didn't like it so much.

This is off the topic...but have you visited Astoria before? since I see you are from Oregon. I spent my 40th bday there and have been back twice since. I said someday, I would love to live there. I remember the iron ship wreck on the beach which I thought was so cool. I had the best clam chowder in a bread bowl which to this day I still think about. Your so lucky to live in such a beautiful state.

I love Astoria!!

It's one of my favorite Oregon beach towns. I love the hills, and the old Victorian houses, and the cute little downtown area. I like going over the big bridge to Long Beach too. I'm glad you loved it too. You should check out the fish & chips food cart that is built out of an old boat sometime if you get back there, it's so delicious!

I have a few OR beach towns I fantasize about living in too someday, and Astoria is definitely on the list, with Cannon Beach and Gold Beach (I love the redwoods down there).

I am so hoping to get an overnight trip to one of them in these last few weeks of summer, before school for my kiddo starts up.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

(notice how easy it is for me to totally go overboard and off topic when it comes to being an Oregon cheerleader, I am positively shameless, lol)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Vimto is an odd tasting fruity type drink. I've had the kind that was mentioned here (syrup that you mix with water). I did not care for it.

I agree, the hibiscus popsicle idea sounds good.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

1344403183[/url]' post='5593783']

I love Astoria!!

It's one of my favorite Oregon beach towns. I love the hills, and the old Victorian houses, and the cute little downtown area. I like going over the big bridge to Long Beach too. I'm glad you loved it too. You should check out the fish & chips food cart that is built out of an old boat sometime if you get back there, it's so delicious!

I have a few OR beach towns I fantasize about living in too someday, and Astoria is definitely on the list, with Cannon Beach and Gold Beach (I love the redwoods down there).

I am so hoping to get an overnight trip to one of them in these last few weeks of summer, before school for my kiddo starts up.

That is so amazing that you can just pack up your family and drive to Astoria. I could not get enough of Canon beach, isn't there where Haystack rock is? Anyways, Haystack rock was so beautiful and at the time my daughter was only 8 and when the tide would roll out, we would walk out to the rock and explore all the goodies. We flew into Oregon, rented a big RV and travelled for four weeks there. In Astoria, we could park the RV right on the sand where others parked and camp, we had a view of the ocean and the shipwreck. Each morning around 5 am, I would make some coffee and walk the beach to find all kinds of little creatures lurking. The little town was amazing and the people were so friendly. We found a little ice cream parlor and we got to hear some really cool stories and some really big fish stories too lol. Awww the big bridge, how could I ever forget driving a 35 foot plus RV over it. I never looked down lol. We toured some beautiful lighthouses as well, but I forget where. We were all over the place, but it's so odd, that of all the places I travelled in the last 18 years, Astoria seems to be my second home as if I was meant to live my life there. Maybe someday.

Thanks for sharing....

I guess, I could have put this under the daily thread.....sorry all

Anyone out there enjoy M'semmen as much as my husband and daughter does. I have made so much during Ramadan. Last week, my daughter wanted to learn how to spread the dough out paper thin, she did really well and now,she is a pro at it. She was like mom, why not we experiment with the stuffing inside. I said okay let's try. We made msemmen s'mores lol, we stuffed it with pizza toppings and wrapped it twice, we sprinkled cinnamon sugar inside, we added thinly sliced steak with sautéed onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, Provolone cheese and wrapped it two more times and used a iron skillet to cook. It all turned out wonderful.

Are there any other ideas we could use for M'semmen?

Edited by foreverwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.