msheesha

Ramadan 2012

117 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We did homemade pizza tonight for Iftar with ingredients from Trader Joe's. Now that I think about it Italian sodas would have been nice with it. Tomorrow is Friday prayer and everybody seems to get together for Iftar. I'm not sure I'll go yet but I know dh will want to go. I should probably go with him. I'm enjoying getting closer to him through his spirituality. Tonight I realized there is something special about fasting and celebrating a holiday for a whole month with your family and friends. (L)luv.gif

Also I haven't read the Sublime Koran but I have been given a couple different English and Arabic translations by my school and various mosques. I seem to be collecting them from every where I go.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

LoL at real coffee only being Turkish...that stuff is like motor oil scraped out of an engine hahaha! Oooh lemon bluberry...what soda do you put that with? Like Sprite? I put my hazlenut with coke and it was sooooo good!

Good old Western Family brand club soda!

Cheap and fizzy. I had a grape one tonight, and it tasted a bit like dimetapp. I have always loved that taste. Hazelnut and coke sounds like an interesting combo though.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Almost time to break the fast here. The second half of the holy month feels much more difficult than the first half. I'm really hungry, starving and thirsty these last few days. The heat has also kicked up a notch here and we got into the 100's for the first time today this summer. People are starting to talk about and look forward to the EID holiday already. I coincidentally have my vacation starting on the 17th this month so I'll get to experience all the joys of EID with the community.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

At my Egyptian Grandma In-Laws house in Luxor they'd make it all the time but we haven't made it here yet. I hadn't really thought about it much. Is there a good place to get it? I was just mentioning at the beginning of Ramadan to dh about making the coconut drink. I couldn't remember the name though.

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

What's sobia?

Sobia is a popular Ramadan drink. In Egypt at my Grandma In-Laws house in Luxor they make it often and with coconut. I'm not sure how else it is made in the middle east and north africa. I also had it in Hurghada once and it was also made with coconut but the article I linked here doesn't mention it in the list of ingredients.

Here is this what I'm talking about. Top ten drinks in Egypt. It's made with coconut and milk.

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's a sweet, coconut drink.

My favorite coconut drink is sahleb but it's much too hot outside right now for that. I've made it at home but it doesn't compare to the sahleb I had at my uncle in law's house. For those who don't know what that is, it's a hot drink made from orchid tuber with milk, coconut, nuts and raisins. The consistancy is like thin pudding.

What's sobia?

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Speaking of drinks, has anyone tried karkaday (hibiscus tea)? I saw some at the health food store and it looked intriguing. I asked Mohamed about it and he said it was good. Has anyone else tried it and liked it?

Timeline

I had to google "khoshaf". :) It looks interesting and delicious.

I haven't had any of the other drinks mentioned here, but I super puffy heart khoshaf. So refreshing and filling!

Timeline

Sounds good to me!

I do a hack job of it personally. Just water, tbsp of honey, shredded coconut, hazelnuts, walnuts, dates, figs. Cover and place in the fridge for about 6 hours.

All of those drinks sound lovely!

Since it's the last two weeks, I might try making something more adventurous. We've had some coconut water blended with different fruit in the mornings, and I've made horchata a few times.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has anyone ever tried making sobia?

We bought Sobia powder from a supermarket in Egypt last summer and made it here when we came back. Wasn't too bad but not as tasty as off the street. Lol

Speaking of drinks, has anyone tried karkaday (hibiscus tea)? I saw some at the health food store and it looked intriguing. I asked Mohamed about it and he said it was good. Has anyone else tried it and liked it?

My mom boils the leaves/plant ALL the time. Been doing it for years. Tastes great. We drink it chilled. We have recently tried the tea, not bad either! :)

USCIS

Sept. 22, 2011 - NOA1

March 13, 2012 - NOA2 (via text/email)

NVC

March 19, 2012 - Case received at NVC (in building)

April 02, 2012 - Received case #, IIN, submitted email addresses

April 03, 2012 - AOS bill invoiced & paid; 'IN PROCESS'

April 03, 2012 - emailed DS-3032

April 04, 2012 - AOS fee cleared from bank account

April 06, 2012 - DS-3032 acceptance email received

April 10, 2012 - AOS payment 'PAID'; AOS package sent

April 16, 2012 - AOS accepted/completed

April 25, 2012 - IV bill invoiced & paid; 'IN PROCESS'

April 27, 2012 - IV payment 'PAID'; IV package sent

May 01, 2012 - NVC case complete!!!

May 09, 2012 - Received interview notification email

May 10, 2012 - Case was sent to embassy

May 16, 2012 - Medical Appointment

June 04, 2012 - Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.