msheesha

Ramadan 2012

117 posts in this topic

DVR'ed.

I love love love POV, I've seen so many great things on there. Thanks for the heads up msheesha.

Did you watch it yet? Thoughts? I didn't see the first twenty minutes, but saw everything after that. Will have to watch the first twenty minutes tonight or over the weekend.

MB's getting a lot of criticism from higher up political figures within her own political party for dangerous McCarthy era style politics with this latest wackadoodle tid bit.

Ramadan Kareem!

RamadanKareem.jpg

This photo was recently taken by AUC publishing in Cairo.

This is the first year that dh asked me to fast with him and the first year I'm going to. I'm told it is also the longest Ramadan in 33 years because of the daylight hours for the fast during the summer. I got a few tips from friends but if anyone has any they want to offer that would be great too. Our Islamic Center here will do the Taraweeh Prayer after the Isha Prayer around 10:50 pm. Then they're hosting dinner or sahoor for those following the Muslim countries Ramadan back home since it is the first day of Ramadan for most of them. So we may be starting our fast tomorrow morning which means I have to get up earlier than usual and make something for breakfast. I like the time together we have during cooking and meals.

It's also the first year we're living on our own together during Ramadan so I'd like to make it special and experience what 2.1 billion Muslims in the world are going through. I'm told the first ten days are the worst but then your body adjusts and by the end you feel light and good. Though I know it's much more than thirst and hunger they are experiencing, and it is an important time to develop a relationship with spirit.

I'm not sure what to make for food though. The only Egyptian dish I have down is Koshary. We're making that for Iftar on Saturday and sharing it with a few friends that live here. It was by his request so that's exciting for me! I also would like to learn to make mahshy or mashi (the stuffed rolled grape leaves) and malakahya (the leafy green soup) if I can find it because I really like the soup. I also think these would be a nice surprise for him. I've been told it can be found in some import stores but I may have to go to another town to find it.

My advice is for suhoor eat a balanced, filling meal that does not over-stuff you or make you feel uncomfortable. Some suggestions have been egg, whole grain bread/bagel/roll, and fruit, and caffeine if you usually have caffeine. Cut back on caffeine in weeks leading up to Ramadan or eliminate it altogether to avoid caffeine withdrawl headaches during first days of Ramadan when you can't take anything for the headaches. Don't eat anything overly salty or spicy throughout the month to avoid excess thirst during fasting hours. Drink lots of water when you are able to. Can't think of anything else. I hope it goes really well for you.

Can't help you with the cooking - sorry!

Did you watch it yet? Thoughts? I didn't see the first twenty minutes, but saw everything after that. Will have to watch the first twenty minutes tonight or over the weekend.

I recorded it at my parents' house, it will probably not be until next weekend that I get some time to myself to watch. I'm looking forward to it though!

Happy ramadaan.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You're welcome!

Yeah I thought it tasted pretty close to authentic koshary, too. So did my husband. Hey that's pretty good getting it down to two pots. I usually have at least 3 going, one being the frying pan for the onions. This is why I rarely make it anymore. :blush:

If you have any Mid Eastern stores near by they should have molokhia in the freezer section. Get the chopped or minced. I've accidently bought the whole leaves before and it was a bit of a mess having to puree it. A couple weekends ago I actually found the fresh leaves at a Mid Eastern market. I was, however, too much of a chicken to tackle them. :blush: I wasn't sure how long they needed to be cooked and my husband told me they should be dried. Frozen is just easier. Anyways, if you do find the frozen my tip would be...don't overboil. Simmer gently until heated otherwise the leaves will turn brownish and it will taste bitter. Another tip is, fry a clove or two of garlic (sliced, diced, minced,whatever) in a bit of oil until browned then pour (oil and all) in finished molokhia right before serving. I learned that from my SILs. I also sautee garlic at the very beginning with an onion before adding the chicken and spices. We like ours on the garlicky side.

Thank you! Brand specific and location will be easier to look for or ask a store manager. I think it was your koshary recipe that I have down too. Dh said it tasted the most like Egyptian so I stuck with it. I have it down to about 30-45 minutes of cooking and only two pots.

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

During Ramadan, I usually listen to more lectures, kutbahs, talks, etc on Islam. I came across this today on halaltube, and thought it was light-hearted, enjoyable easy listening for the first day of Ramadan.

http://www.halaltube.com/abdelrahman-murphy-how-to-love-relationships-in-islam

Ramadan kareem owee everyone!

I'm not sure what to make for food though. The only Egyptian dish I have down is Koshary. We're making that for Iftar on Saturday and sharing it with a few friends that live here. It was by his request so that's exciting for me! I also would like to learn to make mahshy or mashi (the stuffed rolled grape leaves) and malakahya (the leafy green soup) if I can find it because I really like the soup. I also think these would be a nice surprise for him. I've been told it can be found in some import stores but I may have to go to another town to find it.

I happen to love Egyptian food, and I happen to be madly in love with the spirit of Ramadan. Sooooooo, I've got a couple of Iftar meals (okay, more like soirees) calendared each week of Ramadan. I'll be cooking my face off for my big Egyptian family - and happy to do it.

These is my favorite web sites for Egyptian foods:

http://www.touregypt.net/recipes

http://www.egyptianrecipes.net

http://www.egyptdailynews.com/recipes/recipes.htm

A bit of advice about malakahia: there is no substitute for the malakahia (Jew's mallow/Green mallow/nalta jute) itself. It's a vegetable that's also found in Indian foods, so if you can't find it in a "Middle Eastern" store, shop around. LOOK IN THE FREEZER CASE FIRST because a lot of what you'll buy fresh will end up being tossed after you've separated the leaves from the stalks. Once you get past finding the malakahia, the rest is easy. Just don't let it boil because boiling will ruin it.

Livvy, let us know how your adventures in Egyptian cuisine turn out!

Edited by Ihavequestions

I'll show you how I make Mahshy if you show me how you make Koshary :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You're welcome!

Yeah I thought it tasted pretty close to authentic koshary, too. So did my husband. Hey that's pretty good getting it down to two pots. I usually have at least 3 going, one being the frying pan for the onions. This is why I rarely make it anymore. :blush:

If you have any Mid Eastern stores near by they should have molokhia in the freezer section. Get the chopped or minced. I've accidently bought the whole leaves before and it was a bit of a mess having to puree it. A couple weekends ago I actually found the fresh leaves at a Mid Eastern market. I was, however, too much of a chicken to tackle them. :blush: I wasn't sure how long they needed to be cooked and my husband told me they should be dried. Frozen is just easier. Anyways, if you do find the frozen my tip would be...don't overboil. Simmer gently until heated otherwise the leaves will turn brownish and it will taste bitter. Another tip is, fry a clove or two of garlic (sliced, diced, minced,whatever) in a bit of oil until browned then pour (oil and all) in finished molokhia right before serving. I learned that from my SILs. I also sautee garlic at the very beginning with an onion before adding the chicken and spices. We like ours on the garlicky side.

I'm so excited we found frozen chopped molokhia in the freezer section of our local Latin Market Place. They have a small middle eastern section. I could never managed to master the onions so we resorted to french onions which dh likes. Otherwise it would be three pots as well.

Ramadan kareem owee everyone!

I happen to love Egyptian food, and I happen to be madly in love with the spirit of Ramadan. Sooooooo, I've got a couple of Iftar meals (okay, more like soirees) calendared each week of Ramadan. I'll be cooking my face off for my big Egyptian family - and happy to do it.

These is my favorite web sites for Egyptian foods:

http://www.touregypt.net/recipes

http://www.egyptianrecipes.net

http://www.egyptdail...pes/recipes.htm

A bit of advice about malakahia: there is no substitute for the malakahia (Jew's mallow/Green mallow/nalta jute) itself. It's a vegetable that's also found in Indian foods, so if you can't find it in a "Middle Eastern" store, shop around. LOOK IN THE FREEZER CASE FIRST because a lot of what you'll buy fresh will end up being tossed after you've separated the leaves from the stalks. Once you get past finding the malakahia, the rest is easy. Just don't let it boil because boiling will ruin it.

Livvy, let us know how your adventures in Egyptian cuisine turn out!

Thanks IHQ! We went to first iftar last night and the ladies shared that at a local latin market you can find imported middle eastern foods and I found malakahia there! Are you still on fb? I rejoined last year but I couldn't find you. I posted pictures on there of our first suhoor this morning. I tried to make it special for us both. Tonight I'm making koshary for my husband and some of his friends for iftar. They've been really helpful to us.

I'll show you how I make Mahshy if you show me how you make Koshary :D

It's a deal then. I'm really good at Koshary now. We also found premade mahshy at the latin market in their middle eastern section so we thought we'd give a small can of it a try. I'll post a photo of it in my Ramadan album when we go to have it.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Thanks IHQ! We went to first iftar last night and the ladies shared that at a local latin market you can find imported middle eastern foods and I found malakahia there! Are you still on fb? I rejoined last year but I couldn't find you. I posted pictures on there of our first suhoor this morning. I tried to make it special for us both. Tonight I'm making koshary for my husband and some of his friends for iftar. They've been really helpful to us.

I am. I sent you a PM so you can find me.

Hmmmmm. Koshary. Chop some parsley and mix it along with salt and pepper into hamburger, roll it into sausage shapes and either fry or bake it and you've got kofta, quick and easy to go along with. :star:

What did you think of canned mashee? I don't sit in front of the television to roll them all up, especially when they're cheap in the freezer section at the supermarket. But canned?

It's a deal then. I'm really good at Koshary now. We also found premade mahshy at the latin market in their middle eastern section so we thought we'd give a small can of it a try. I'll post a photo of it in my Ramadan album when we go to have it.

The mahshy I make is by stuffing fresh vegetables like potatoes, green peppers, eggplant, cabbage leaves (after putting the leaves in boiling water for a few minutes) & it's pretty good. I do know the basic way of making stuffed grape leaves but I've never made it before so I refuse to be responsible for the plating of a bad dish! :P

Dr A<3O I will send you my recipe of stuffed veggies later, it really is easy. And a friend of mine tried a batch of mahshy my mother made & she told me that's how her grandmother (who is Egyptian btw) used to make mahshy for them. Your DH will be very impressed with you if you get this down :thumbs:

Timeline

I am. I sent you a PM so you can find me.

Hmmmmm. Koshary. Chop some parsley and mix it along with salt and pepper into hamburger, roll it into sausage shapes and either fry or bake it and you've got kofta, quick and easy to go along with. :star:

What did you think of canned mashee? I don't sit in front of the television to roll them all up, especially when they're cheap in the freezer section at the supermarket. But canned?

Thanks for all the tips! I got rave reviews from my husband. They all loved the Koshary and asked for another batch. My husband declined because he knows how much work it is to make that much for 7 people. I was in the kitchen for hours today since we only have one big pot and one little pot. I haven't tried the mashi in a can yet. Maybe for suhoor?

The mahshy I make is by stuffing fresh vegetables like potatoes, green peppers, eggplant, cabbage leaves (after putting the leaves in boiling water for a few minutes) & it's pretty good. I do know the basic way of making stuffed grape leaves but I've never made it before so I refuse to be responsible for the plating of a bad dish! :P

Dr A<3O I will send you my recipe of stuffed veggies later, it really is easy. And a friend of mine tried a batch of mahshy my mother made & she told me that's how her grandmother (who is Egyptian btw) used to make mahshy for them. Your DH will be very impressed with you if you get this down :thumbs:

Oh great! I was going to make stuffed bell peppers for us one suhoor morning or iftar night. They had stuffed baby peppers the first night for iftar and it was really good. I think it was Libyan but it could have been Indonesian. Tonight I had a major headache when I went to Iftar alone since dh was at the Iftar I cooked for the guys. At the mosque iftar they had miniature pizzas with mushrooms and greek olives along with tandoori chicken and rice and potatoes and lots of feasting things. I want to take something like a salad to contribute to the group since the women all bring something special from home, but tonight I only brought napkins. I'm not sure what dish I can take or if they'll eat it. There are a few women that cook really delicious foods.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

If you want to make a salad try making Tabbouleh. It's Lebanese. Here is the recipe for it...we make ours without the cucumber though & it tastes just as great. And don't worry yourself I'm sure they'll like whatever you make :)

What a coincidence! I'm making Tabbouleh from a box for suhoor this morning. I'm putting it over a bed of fresh romaine lettuce. I'm also going to give the canned mashi a try. I opened it and we split one and decided it's not bad but it needs to be heated up in the microwave. Since I know dh likes falafel I also picked up a mix with middle eastern writing on it that he approved of so we'll give that a try. I'm going to make them thinner to fit in the bread of our sandwiches. I'll post pics on facebook of our second suhoor.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.