msheesha

Ramadan 2012

117 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I will be spending the first 12 days of Ramadan in Jordan this year. It will be nice to finally get to experience it in a Muslim country

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I spent Ramadan 2008 and 2009 in Tunis, Tunisia with Anis and his family. I grew up in Kuwait, so I experienced 10 years' worth of Ramadan there as well. I grew up with my dad doing Ramadan (he's from Algeria) and my husband does it. I don't usually fast but I do support the menfolk in my life :)

Working in Turkmenistan, spouse is with me. 

Dealing with the NVC process...

Check out Timeline for questions :D

Filed: Timeline

Yes, we will be fasting. We both shift our schedules around a lot, depending on work, so not much organization on meals - we don't often make the "traditional" giant, elaborate iftar. However I am trying to psyche myself up for the challenge of the long, hot days. I spent part of Ramadan and also the Eid in Palestine once - it was quite amazing.

ramadan will be interesting this year for me

My youngest died in ramadan and his name meant gates of heaven so ramadan for me is very special

My mother even knows ramadan very very well because of what we all went through

I am going to be taking my youngest around mena people and probably going to some iftars with her somewhere.

I like ramadan.. everyone behaves themselves

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I'm not Muslim, but I did Ramadan with my husband last year and plan on doing it again this year. There were a couple of days I have to admit that I cheated. There were a few times when my dad made some food that I just couldnt resist, and took a lil nibble. My daughter didn't fast, but she really enjoyed Ramadan, because we did big late dinners, and then walked to my parents house to share leftovers, and stayed up late, and she also really liked after dinners we tried to share a little about our religions, and relate the topic to good life lessons that can be found in every religion. I thought it was alot of fun. It was a challenge not to eat, but so much fin talking about and planning big dinners, cooking together, looking up menus, and making goodies to share. Then that few moments before the sunsets, and we are waiting at the table and we all start to smile cause we know how we are going to just jump into the food and make pigs of ourselves, and then finally its times and the food tastes even better then normal. However I think my stomach must shrink during the day while I am fasting, cause I was never able to eat as much as I thought or wanted too :P Anyway, its a fun times for us, and I am looking forward to it. I can't guarantee a full fast EVERY day, but I try my best. I hope everyone will enjoy there Ramadan as well.

Edited by Danni and Hamza

4/16/10- I129F Sent by Danni

4/20/10- I129F Received at VSC

4/22/10- NOA1 sent from VSC

4/26/10- NOA1 received by Danni

6/28/10- NOA2 Received by text and email at 11:32pm

6/29/10- NVC Received K1 package

7/02/10- NVC packaged K1 to send to embassy (but probably didn't ship till the 6th, due to the holiday weekend)

7/08/10- Algeria Embassy received Package sent from NVC

7/26/10- Received Packet 3 Via Email, after I called them to inquire about it.

8/15/10- Medical Exam 9 am

8/17/10 INTERVIEW!!! Resulted in Admin Review

10/04/10 Embassy Interviewed Hamza's Dad over the telephone

10/06/10 Embassy Interviewed me over the phone

11/30/10 Embassy Emailed Hamza, with approval Notice!!!!!

12/23/10 Finally Visa in hand. Took little under a month from visa approval, till issuance.

12/31/10 Hamza's Flight to the USA!

12/31/10...7:19 PM Hamza Arrived in the US! Best New Years Ever!

2/22/11 Married!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-d8faZtdOc

Thanks for bumping Sandinista.

Danni - that does sound really nice.

I think it might have been the daily thread that ppl were talking about what to eat in the morning to try to get through the day. I agree about egg for the protein. I think egg on whole grain bagel or toast or bagel thin with some fruit and water and some form of caffeine if you're used to caffeine helps. Back in the 90's when it was my first year of Ramdan I ate Clementine oranges in the morning. (back then it was around Christmas time & my mom always had clementines on hand). So when I see them I always think of Ramadan!

Peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread/toast is something I also found sticks and gets you through a long-ish period during Ramadan.

I also found cutting back/giving up caffeine before you start fasting is better than during fasting. That way you can take something for the caffeine withdrawal headaches you get and you can focus more on the first days of Ramadan not suffering caffeine

withdrawal headaches!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I hope everyone enjoys Ramadan with their families this year. May the fast be easy on us all in this heat!

USCIS

Sept. 22, 2011 - NOA1

March 13, 2012 - NOA2 (via text/email)

NVC

March 19, 2012 - Case received at NVC (in building)

April 02, 2012 - Received case #, IIN, submitted email addresses

April 03, 2012 - AOS bill invoiced & paid; 'IN PROCESS'

April 03, 2012 - emailed DS-3032

April 04, 2012 - AOS fee cleared from bank account

April 06, 2012 - DS-3032 acceptance email received

April 10, 2012 - AOS payment 'PAID'; AOS package sent

April 16, 2012 - AOS accepted/completed

April 25, 2012 - IV bill invoiced & paid; 'IN PROCESS'

April 27, 2012 - IV payment 'PAID'; IV package sent

May 01, 2012 - NVC case complete!!!

May 09, 2012 - Received interview notification email

May 10, 2012 - Case was sent to embassy

May 16, 2012 - Medical Appointment

June 04, 2012 - Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Msheesha, my first ramadan was also in the 90s. I thought it was a good time to start since the days were shorter. If we had leftover meat or chicken from the night before we would have that with bread or a bagel for suhoor. If not we would make eggs. If I was too sleepy to eat I would just have water or juice. My favorite thing to have in the house for ramadan was date mamoul. I would have that with coffee or tea for iftar instead of just dates sometimes.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Msheesha, my first ramadan was also in the 90s. I thought it was a good time to start since the days were shorter. If we had leftover meat or chicken from the night before we would have that with bread or a bagel for suhoor. If not we would make eggs. If I was too sleepy to eat I would just have water or juice. My favorite thing to have in the house for ramadan was date mamoul. I would have that with coffee or tea for iftar instead of just dates sometimes.

or in tom haverfood speak, suhoor could sometimes be deja food. :)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

I usually do oatmeal with some flax/chia seeds, add some berries and some water/caffeine, and especially Excederin!! I need the excederin for the first 2-3 days as I have to break my caffeine habits and they cause me a bit of grief. :P

Sometimes I just do fruit and nuts, or peanut butter and fruit spread... long as I get some whole grain/fiber, healthy fats, and some liquids, I feel pretty okay.

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Timeline

I have spent Ramadan in Pakistan, Egypt, and India my favorite place is Pakistan for Ramadan spending Ramadan in the USA is very difficult for me and seems to lack the unity that we feel when we are over seas during Ramadan......we are the only Muslim family in our small town so I guess that attributes to that feeling

sara

Edited by sara.....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

RAMADAN KARIM to everyone

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

.✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫

☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★ *˚ .ღ 。

/▌*˛˚ ۩ [̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅à̲̅][̲̅̅M̲̅][̲̅̅à̲̅][̲̅̅D̲̅][̲̅̅à̲̅][̲̅̅N̲̅] ۩ .... ۩ [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅à̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅é̲̅][̲̅̅é̲̅][̲̅̅M̲̅] ۩ ˚ ✰* ★

... .../ \ ˚. ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。 ˚ ˚ღ。。✰ •* ˚♥♥* ✰。

★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ ˚ 。✰ •* ˚ ♥♥

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I have had Ramadan either in the US or Saudi Arabia. Having others around you who are fasting and understand what Ramadan is definitely a plus. Depending on the time of year I don't really get the chance to go for taraweeh prayers because they are so late. I was pregnant last year so did not fast. This will be the first year that I get to experience it in the heat.

Ramadan Kareem!!!!!

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.