raynlyd

Change of mind: Cancel K1 to get CR1 instead

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Dear VJers,

Basically as the title of the topic says. We are currently in the process of applying K1. Fiance holds an Australian passport and has come here many times on visa waiver program.

I applied June 02 and USCIS received June 04, 2012.

After a lot of thinking and a lot of weighing financial pros and cons, we decided to get married here in the US and then to apply for CR1 visa.

One of my reasoning is that getting married before the end of this year could get me a good amount of this year's tax return, which will be super helpful to pay for our wedding. That and also the fact that it's way cheaper, faster and less hassle.

My questions are:

- how do I cancel the K1 that we barely processed on June 4, 2012?

- will this raise any red flags, which potentially makes it harder for both of us to get approved for CR1?

Please help... right now we're really in a pinch because I'm not even sure if this is a good idea....

THank you so much VJers

Edited by Kathryn41

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Is she already in th States?

It's immigration fraud to knowingly come to the US to immigrate on a non-immigration visa. So if she's not already in the states, you probably won't get much help from people on here.

Good luck!

Edited by Kazulie

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Dear VJers,

Basically as the title of the topic says. We are currently in the process of applying K1. Fiance holds an Australian passport and has come here many times on visa waiver program.

I applied June 02 and USCIS received June 04, 2012.

After a lot of thinking and a lot of weighing financial pros and cons, we decided to get married here in the US and then to apply for CR1 visa.

One of my reasoning is that getting married before the end of this year could get me a good amount of this year's tax return, which will be super helpful to pay for our wedding. That and also the fact that it's way cheaper, faster and less hassle.

My questions are:

- will this raise any red flags, which potentially makes it harder for both of us to get approved for CR1?

Please help... right now we're really in a pinch because I'm not even sure if this is a good idea....

THank you so much VJers

Send a notarized letter to the service center processing your petition and state that you wish to withdraw your I-129F petition. I do not see why it would make it harder for you to get a CR-1 approved.

Edited by Kathryn41

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It's immigration fraud to knowingly come to the US to immigrate on a non-immigration visa. So if she's not already in the states, you probably won't get much help from people on here.

Good luck!

He did not appear to be asking about her currently being in the US and just dropping the K-1, getting married and applying for AOS. You can legally enter the US to marry, return home and then go through the process of obtaining a spousal visa. It is only fraud if the person enters the US with the intent to marry, adjust status and stay.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

There should be no impact on the CR1 process if you switch from K1. The petitioner and beneficiary are the same, and lots of people decide not to wait! The most you have to lose is the filing fee from your I-129f.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

He did not appear to be asking about her currently being in the US and just dropping the K-1, getting married and applying for AOS. You can legally enter the US to marry, return home and then go through the process of obtaining a spousal visa. It is only fraud if the person enters the US with the intent to marry, adjust status and stay.

His decision is financially motivated. I assumed she would be coming to marry and staying since flying back and forth to Australia 2 times, canceling an already paid for petition and paying to refile another petition is going to get very costly very quickly. I guess I shouldn't assume though.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

Correct! She is not in the US, but she will come on a VWP to get married (kindda like destination wedding) and then go back to Sydney to wait out the CR1 visa process.

If need be, I could even fly to Sydney and marry her there just to get the marriage certificate so we could initiate CR1 process.

His decision is financially motivated. I assumed she would be coming to marry and staying since flying back and forth to Australia 2 times, canceling an already paid for petition and paying to refile another petition is going to get very costly very quickly. I guess I shouldn't assume though.

Correct! Basically I've done my math.

Even with staying and flying back and forth to Sydney 2 times, cancelling an already paid petition and paying to refile another petition, my tax return would still put me ahead - although maybe not by much... - but still ahead regardless. :)

Send a notarized letter to the service center processing your petition and state that you wish to withdraw your I-129F petition. I do not see why it would make it harder for you to get a CR-1 approved.

So what should I do?

Cancel the K1 first, or get married and thereby disqualifying/cancelling the K1 process automatically?

Edited by Kathryn41

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Withdraw the K1 first- it is tidier and will ensure there is no confusion when you send in the CR-1 petition.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Good luck!

You have it all wrong. She's visiting. They will marry and start a CR1 visa process. She did not and will not "immigrate" at this time.

Just go ahead and marry. When you file the I-130 petition, add a separate letter (no need to notarize) indicating you "hereby withdraw" your I-129F petition. Include the case number, and both full names and dates of birth. No explanation is needed but if you want to add, "We decided to marry and take the spouse visa route instead." that's OK. Then, make sure she doesn't overstay her visa.

Sometimes, when petitions are filed while the foreigner is present in the USA, they get routed incorrectly once approved. If it's a short visit, it might be wise to wait until she leaves to file. That way you'll indicate where asked that she is not currently present in the USA. Otherwise, be certain to indicate N/A for the city she'll adjust status and indicate Sydney AUSTRALIA for the Consulate where she'll interview for an immigrant visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

My questions are:

We did the same last summer. We applied for the K-1 via I-129F in July. Then both married and filed for CR-1/I-130 in September. We didn't have to cancel our original I-129F. In fact, after they approved our I-130, we even received a request for document or two from the USCIS on our original I-129F until we sent a letter in requesting cancellation of the I-129F petition. (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing over there. Ha!).

No big deal. Happens every day.

Another thing we did was start the CR-1 paperwork before leaving the US. Also no big deal... just make sure you use your non-US adddress everywhere. They really don't care where you physically mail the forms from. That way, they got our forms a little faster using the domestic mail service.

Good luck!

Edited by Kathryn41

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Can't speak as to how to cancel the fiance petition, as I haven't had to do that.

As far as getting married while on the VWP and then filing the I-130 - no problem there.... that is exactly what we did. I actually stayed for close to the 90-day VWP allowance, and hand no problems with the process.

If I'm reading correctly, your fiancee - she is the Australian citizen right? Is she intending to change her name after marriage? It may not be a consideration for you, but just wanted to mention that if you get married in the US, and she then wants to change her name in her passport - the Australian Passport office will not accept an overseas marriage certificate as proof of name change. She will have to go to BDM (Births, Deaths and Marriages) and formally change her name in order to be able to change her passport. I found that out the hard way after I got married in the US.

Good luck :thumbs:

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Timeline

If I'm reading correctly, your fiancee - she is the Australian citizen right? Is she intending to change her name after marriage? It may not be a consideration for you, but just wanted to mention that if you get married in the US, and she then wants to change her name in her passport - the Australian Passport office will not accept an overseas marriage certificate as proof of name change. She will have to go to BDM (Births, Deaths and Marriages) and formally change her name in order to be able to change her passport. I found that out the hard way after I got married in the US.

Thank you for the valuable information! :) Yes she is the Australian citizen. I am not sure whether she wants to change her name or not. It's not that big of a deal for me, but I'll let her know of this anyhow.

Also KLS, during the CR1 process, did you come to the US to visit your spouse? If yes, did the immigration officer give you a hard time at entry?

Once again, thank you for your replies, friends.

So far I have:

1 response for withdrawing/cancelling K1 first then reapply.

1 response for just get married and file the I130, but indicate that we're withdrawing/cancelling the K1, and

1 response for just get married and file the I130 and forget about the I129F because the "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing"

Any other suggestions on whether I cancel the K1 first, or get married and thereby disqualifying/cancelling the K1 process automatically?

Edited by Kathryn41

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for the valuable information! :) Yes she is the Australian citizen. I am not sure whether she wants to change her name or not. It's not that big of a deal for me, but I'll let her know of this anyhow.

Also KLS, during the CR1 process, did you come to the US to visit your spouse? If yes, did the immigration officer give you a hard time at entry?

Once again, thank you for your replies, friends.

So far I have:

1 response for withdrawing/cancelling K1 first then reapply.

1 response for just get married and file the I130, but indicate that we're withdrawing/cancelling the K1, and

1 response for just get married and file the I130 and forget about the I129F because the "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing"

Any other suggestions on whether I cancel the K1 first, or get married and thereby disqualifying/cancelling the K1 process automatically?

What does your common sense tell you?

Edited by Kathryn41

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

What does your common sense tell you?

Well I'm leaning toward number 2... that's just me. I was just wondering if anyone else has other opinions.

Anyway, I asked an immigration lawyer if she could come here on VW while CR1 is in process, and this is what she says:

The easiest way would be to stay here and adjust as an immediate relative.

If she is going back and forth on a visa waiver, there may be an intent issue if she is coming just to get married so she must show an abundance of temporary intent at the border.

The K visa would be unnecessary in that case because she will be processing abroad.

Good luck.

I'm confused now...

Timeline

Also, about coming here on VWP while CR1 on process.

Could we use my fiance's substantial travel history to US as proof of ties to Australia (about 3 times on avg the past 3 years, and without overstay)?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.