dare448

Our story (and couple of questions)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been reading this forum everyday now and I find it very informational and helpful. Thank you all so much for all the comments, suggestions, etc. Y'all have been a great help.

Here's our story. My husband and I met in May 2006 for the first time while he was touring with his college choir in the US. At that time, one of their stops was Los Angeles and my family happened to be assigned to host a member or two from the group during their LA stay. I was luckily his host sister. I was only 18 then, he was 22.

After their world tour, he came back to the Philippines and in November 2011, he came back to the US (San Francisco)on a tourist visa. February 2008, he contacted me via email to tell me that he was moving down to LA and that he wanted to see me. We hung out a lot and fell in love with each other. April 2008, we became officially boyfriends. He never left the US 'til then.

On our 3rd anniversary we became engaged but I didn't wanna get married yet. I felt we were both young and financially unstable then so we waited a bit for me to get a job and save up for our wedding. August last year, I found a job. We didn't get married still because I thought that instead of spending my first salary for our wedding, my first instinct was to apply for US Citizenship ($700 is just too damn expensive) so I can petition him to stay with me permanently. Also, we thought that it would be better for me to stay single while my application is processing to avoid delays and confusion (from single when I applied to married when I got approved). I did my Naturalization Oath Ceremony in February this year and last March 31, we got married.

Now, we are just waiting for my dad to give us the completed I-864 before we file everything (I-130 and I-485).

My question is this: Is it a red flag that we only got married a little over a month after I became a USC and after 3 months, I'm applying to petition my husband? My paralegal friend said that this question might be thrown to us during the interview and that we need to give them a very convincing answer for them not to think that my lovely husband married me only for green card.

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

ROC JOURNEY

09/30/14 (Day 00) - Application for I-751 Submitted

10/01/14 (Day 01) - Delivered

10/03/14 (Day 03) - Check cashed

10/04/14 (Day 04) - NOA1 (dated 10/01) Received

10/08/14 (Day 08) - Biometrics Appointment Letter for 10/22 Received

10/22/14 (Day 22) - Biometrics Completed

03/10/15 (Day 161) - GC Production Text and Email Notification Received

03/14/15 (Day 165) - Received I-751 Approval Notice

03/16/15 (Day 167) - Received text and email notifications that GC has been mailed

03/19/15 (Day 170) - RECEIVED GREENCARD! WOOOOT!

Timeline

I have been reading this forum everyday now and I find it very informational and helpful. Thank you all so much for all the comments, suggestions, etc. Y'all have been a great help.

Here's our story. My husband and I met in May 2006 for the first time while he was touring with his college choir in the US. At that time, one of their stops was Los Angeles and my family happened to be assigned to host a member or two from the group during their LA stay. I was luckily his host sister. I was only 18 then, he was 22.

After their world tour, he came back to the Philippines and in November 2011, he came back to the US (San Francisco)on a tourist visa. February 2008, he contacted me via email to tell me that he was moving down to LA and that he wanted to see me. We hung out a lot and fell in love with each other. April 2008, we became officially boyfriends. He never left the US 'til then.

On our 3rd anniversary we became engaged but I didn't wanna get married yet. I felt we were both young and financially unstable then so we waited a bit for me to get a job and save up for our wedding. August last year, I found a job. We didn't get married still because I thought that instead of spending my first salary for our wedding, my first instinct was to apply for US Citizenship ($700 is just too damn expensive) so I can petition him to stay with me permanently. Also, we thought that it would be better for me to stay single while my application is processing to avoid delays and confusion (from single when I applied to married when I got approved). I did my Naturalization Oath Ceremony in February this year and last March 31, we got married.

Now, we are just waiting for my dad to give us the completed I-864 before we file everything (I-130 and I-485).

My question is this: Is it a red flag that we only got married a little over a month after I became a USC and after 3 months, I'm applying to petition my husband? My paralegal friend said that this question might be thrown to us during the interview and that we need to give them a very convincing answer for them not to think that my lovely husband married me only for green card.

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, he came here November 2007 and not 2011. My mistake.

ROC JOURNEY

03/16/15 (Day 167) - Received text and email notifications that GC has been mailed

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In fact, what you are saying makes sense, because it sounds as though you had plans to live here. If you had plans to get your husband here in the US to live, it would make sense that you sought to do so as a US citizen rather than as a LPR. If your relationship is legit, the most convincing answer you can give them is the truth.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

In fact, what you are saying makes sense, because it sounds as though you had plans to live here. If you had plans to get your husband here in the US to live, it would make sense that you sought to do so as a US citizen rather than as a LPR. If your relationship is legit, the most convincing answer you can give them is the truth.

Thanks. My husband told me that initially, he didn't have any plans to stay but things changed when we started dating. After four years of being together, here we are, trying for him to stay here legally.

I'm the USC yet I am more nervous than him. I just want everything to be perfect to both prepare us for the grueling months to come.

And yes, what I wrote was the truth and that's what we will tell whoever will interview us and just hope for the best.

ROC JOURNEY

Timeline

Thanks. My husband told me that initially, he didn't have any plans to stay but things changed when we started dating. After four years of being together, here we are, trying for him to stay here legally.

I'm the USC yet I am more nervous than him. I just want everything to be perfect to both prepare us for the grueling months to come.

And yes, what I wrote was the truth and that's what we will tell whoever will interview us and just hope for the best.

You have no reason to be nervous, although it is understandable. Just take a deep breath because the process if full of paperwork and long periods of waiting. Nothing that you can't weather though.

What you need to bear in mind is that if is he in the US he should not leave until his process is finished and his residence is approved and granted, otherwise chances are he will not be able to get back in.

On a more positive note, there is great talent in this forum and you have a wealth of information at your disposal. :)

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

You have no reason to be nervous, although it is understandable. Just take a deep breath because the process if full of paperwork and long periods of waiting. Nothing that you can't weather though.

What you need to bear in mind is that if is he in the US he should not leave until his process is finished and his residence is approved and granted, otherwise chances are he will not be able to get back in.

On a more positive note, there is great talent in this forum and you have a wealth of information at your disposal. :)

Thank you so much. I am very happy to have stumbled upon this forum. Why pay almost $2500 for an immigration lawyer when my husband and I can do it by ourselves with the help of y'all, right?

Be blessed!

ROC JOURNEY

Timeline
1340742371[/url]' post='5484800']

Thank you so much. I am very happy to have stumbled upon this forum. Why pay almost $2500 for an immigration lawyer when my husband and I can do it by ourselves with the help of y'all, right?

Be blessed!

My honest answer to you is that many prefer to pay a lawyer to do all the work for them and that is OK too,but if money is an issue there is no reason for anyone to act as your solicitor in matters of immigration. The process may be daunting but it is far from insurmountable.

Congrats on the wedding! I wish you well!!!!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.