rkk1

documentation for police clearance?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello... I also need further clarification on the police clearance matter, as my husband is going to attempt to obtain his police clearance tomorrow (though he is from Uttar Pradesh). If the passport is 6 months or older, my understanding is that the person needs to get police clearance from the local police department. People here have recommended me to ask my husband to renew his passport, but his passport is about 6 years old and he isn't going to renew it as it's not expired. So I am wondering.... Is there any sort of form that a person needs to bring with him to the police office requesting a clearance letter? My husband says that without a US form requesting police clearance, the police department won't have any reason to issue him the police clearance (or if they will give it to him, they will ask for a huge bribe in the absence of any documentation). He thinks we should just wait until the NVC asks for police clearance documentation. But everybody on this site has been telling me to request my husband to get the police clearance in advance of NOA2 (as my NOA1 should be approved any day now). Is there an online form I can download and email to my husband that shows evidence of needing to get the police clearance? I don't want him to have to go empty-handed to the police station tomorrow and have them asking him to pay thousands of rupees. Thanks!

Timeline

Here's what my wife did to get her Police Verification Certificate from local DSP Police Station Office in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Having said that I personally think that don't FULLY take anyone's personal experience as it will apply to your husband if they are from different city and states. Because local police stations in India follow their own defined rules and may vary from one city to another across the country.

Experience at local Passport Seva Kendra in Ahmedabad: Officer at PSK said "We won't generate any PCC until you have an interview letter from USA Consulate in Mumbai or a letter (i.e. checklist) from NVC requesting PCC document for your immigration visa"

Experience at local DSP Police Station:

1. Went to DSP office, and they asked an evidence which states you are doing immigration process. They accepted I-130 NOA2 letter issued by USCIS.

2. Submitted I-130 NOA2 photocopy along with photocopies of these documents: passport, ration card, driving license, letter from a bungalow association which proves her permanent residence in that address. All these documents have her same address to prove her residency.

3. They reviewed and forwarded all documents to local area specific police station where they call applicants to have face to face meeting. It's just a formality to make sure you don't have any pending police complain filed in your area specific police station. Not to mention they asked for "saab chai paani ke paise do ;) " bribe in few hundred rupees, because they knew how much they can ask for bribe based on your home address and father's occupation ;)

4. Finally picked up Police Verification Certificate from DSP office on a next day.

It took total 4 days from the day she filed for PCC to the day when she picked up from DSP office.

FYI: She got her new passport about 3 months ago with updated her middle name after we got married. So she already did police verification at local police station at that time.

Your husband has enough time to get all documents ready. Because once you get NOA2, it takes 2 to 3 weeks to forward your file from CSC to NVC, and NVC will take another 1 to 2 weeks to assign a case number. Until you have your case number assigned, you can't submit any documents. I already see lots of NOA2 coming for March applicants, so you may get yours at any time. Good luck! :thumbs:

Edited by smart84

I-130 Processed at USCIS

========================

12/17/2011 : I-130 Sent to USCIS

12/20/2011 : I-130 NOA1

05/11/2012 : I-130 NOA2

NVC

===

05/28/2012 : Received at NVC

06/11/2012 : Case number issued by NVC

06/11/2012 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent Email Sent to NVC

06/13/2012 : AOS Bill Issued

06/13/2012 : AOS Bill Paid

06/14/2012 : AOS Bill Marked as "PAID" in NVC System

06/14/2012 : AOS Package Mailed to NVC

06/18/2012 : AOS Package Delivered to NVC

06/19/2012 : DS-3032 Accepted

06/21/2012 : IV Bill Issued

06/21/2012 : IV Bill Paid

06/21/2012 : IV Package Mailed to NVC

06/22/2012 : IV Bill Marked as "PAID" in NVC System

06/22/2012 : IV Package Delivered to NVC

06/25/2012 : AOS Accepted by NVC

06/29/2012 : IV Accepted by NVC

06/29/2012 : Case Complete at NVC

08/01/2012 : Interview Date Assigned and Case Forwarded from NVC to Mumbai Consulate

09/07/2012 : Interview at Mumbai Consulate (Result: Approved!)

09/11/2012 : Received Visa in Mail at home

09/22/2012 : POE at Houston, TX (IAH)

Timeline

Thanks very much, Smart, for your input. From what you've written, it seems like the only thing we can do then is to wait for the NOA2 copy, before I can email that to my husband to take to the local police. I will email it to him as soon as I get it. (I wonder if they would accept the NOA1.) People were previously suggesting to the PCC done BEFORE NOA1 approval, but unless I have the NOA2 copy (as evidence for my husband to take with him to the police station), I don't know how this is possible... which is what I'm really confused about. Once he gets the police certificate, he will have to take that to a different city 7 hours away (as his city lacks a passport office). So that is why I was hoping to get things moving along.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experiences, and best wishes in your visa process! :)

Timeline

Thanks very much, Smart, for your input. From what you've written, it seems like the only thing we can do then is to wait for the NOA2 copy, before I can email that to my husband to take to the local police. I will email it to him as soon as I get it. (I wonder if they would accept the NOA1.) People were previously suggesting to the PCC done BEFORE NOA1 approval, but unless I have the NOA2 copy (as evidence for my husband to take with him to the police station), I don't know how this is possible... which is what I'm really confused about. Once he gets the police certificate, he will have to take that to a different city 7 hours away (as his city lacks a passport office). So that is why I was hoping to get things moving along.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experiences, and best wishes in your visa process! :)

I think you missed my 1st paragraph ;) My wife's experience to get PCC from Ahmedabad may not be the same as yours. If local police station at your husband's residence is less strict then they may give PCC without any immigration documents such as NOA2 or NOA1 :lol: it never hurts to give it a try. So take any action wisely.

Which city your husband lives in UP state? Someone on VJ may have experience from the same city, world is too small with the internet ;)

Edited by smart84

I-130 Processed at USCIS

========================

12/17/2011 : I-130 Sent to USCIS

12/20/2011 : I-130 NOA1

05/11/2012 : I-130 NOA2

NVC

===

05/28/2012 : Received at NVC

06/11/2012 : Case number issued by NVC

06/11/2012 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent Email Sent to NVC

06/13/2012 : AOS Bill Issued

06/13/2012 : AOS Bill Paid

06/14/2012 : AOS Bill Marked as "PAID" in NVC System

06/14/2012 : AOS Package Mailed to NVC

06/18/2012 : AOS Package Delivered to NVC

06/19/2012 : DS-3032 Accepted

06/21/2012 : IV Bill Issued

06/21/2012 : IV Bill Paid

06/21/2012 : IV Package Mailed to NVC

06/22/2012 : IV Bill Marked as "PAID" in NVC System

06/22/2012 : IV Package Delivered to NVC

06/25/2012 : AOS Accepted by NVC

06/29/2012 : IV Accepted by NVC

06/29/2012 : Case Complete at NVC

08/01/2012 : Interview Date Assigned and Case Forwarded from NVC to Mumbai Consulate

09/07/2012 : Interview at Mumbai Consulate (Result: Approved!)

09/11/2012 : Received Visa in Mail at home

09/22/2012 : POE at Houston, TX (IAH)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Here's what my wife did to get her Police Verification Certificate from local DSP Police Station Office in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Having said that I personally think that don't FULLY take anyone's personal experience as it will apply to your husband if they are from different city and states. Because local police stations in India follow their own defined rules and may vary from one city to another across the country.

Experience at local Passport Seva Kendra in Ahmedabad: Officer at PSK said "We won't generate any PCC until you have an interview letter from USA Consulate in Mumbai or a letter (i.e. checklist) from NVC requesting PCC document for your immigration visa"

Experience at local DSP Police Station:

1. Went to DSP office, and they asked an evidence which states you are doing immigration process. They accepted I-130 NOA2 letter issued by USCIS.

2. Submitted I-130 NOA2 photocopy along with photocopies of these documents: passport, ration card, driving license, letter from a bungalow association which proves her permanent residence in that address. All these documents have her same address to prove her residency.

3. They reviewed and forwarded all documents to local area specific police station where they call applicants to have face to face meeting. It's just a formality to make sure you don't have any pending police complain filed in your area specific police station. Not to mention they asked for "saab chai paani ke paise do ;) " bribe in few hundred rupees, because they knew how much they can ask for bribe based on your home address and father's occupation ;)

4. Finally picked up Police Verification Certificate from DSP office on a next day.

It took total 4 days from the day she filed for PCC to the day when she picked up from DSP office.

FYI: She got her new passport about 3 months ago with updated her middle name after we got married. So she already did police verification at local police station at that time.

Your husband has enough time to get all documents ready. Because once you get NOA2, it takes 2 to 3 weeks to forward your file from CSC to NVC, and NVC will take another 1 to 2 weeks to assign a case number. Until you have your case number assigned, you can't submit any documents. I already see lots of NOA2 coming for March applicants, so you may get yours at any time. Good luck! :thumbs:

U r right.@smart84....To obtain Police Verification Certificate from Baroda is also easy. They give a written format which we have to print or write on a paper and submit just 5 docs i.e. ID proof and residence proofs. They dont even ask for any docs from US. But for PCC from PSK at Vadodara they just ask for 1-2 residence proofs, Local PVC and Interview letter either from NVC or Mumbai Consulate. After all cleared they issue PCC within 1 hour. But from Surat PSK the scenario is different. They dont even need Interview Letter, just residence proof is enough to obtain PCC.

I am from Vadodara and as u mentioned ur wife is from A'bad i think u will be Gujarati and so am i also. And really i will say obtaining PCC from A'bad Passport Office is a Headache. But now that the process has changed and PSK's coming into play i hope it would be much easier than earlier. But i think if we assume we will be getting Interview within 3- months we must obtain PVC (Police Verification Certificate) as early as possible from local Police Station.

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

November 14 2013 I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 15 2013 I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox Facility

November 18 2013 Email from USCIS about Petition Acceptance (PD Nov 15 2013)

November 19 2013 I 797 NOA 1 received by mail

March 24 2015 Received E Mail and Text Notification about Case transfer to another USCIS Office

March 28 2015 Received Hard copy of Transfer Notice from USCIS

March 31 2015 Case Approved by USCIS

April 1 2015 Received Email and Text message for Case Approval

April 4 2015 Received Hard Copy of NOA2 from USCIS

NVC STAGE

April 16 2015 Case received at NVC

April 24 2015 Case Number and IIN received on Call

April 27 2015 Paid AOS Fees and Submitted DS-261

April 29 2015 Welcome Letter from NVC in Email

May 05 2015 DS-261 reviewed over phone

May 06 2015 AOS & Civil Documents sent to NVC

May 07 2015 Documents received at NVC

May 08 2015 Email from NVC to pay IV Fees

June 08 2015 IV PAID

June 10 2015 Submitted DS-260

July 13 2015 Case Completed

July 29 2015 Finally....Got Interview Date

Sep 18 2015 Interview (Approved)

Timeline

http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink

Link Above mentioned is where you can apply PCC online. They will give you a date to collect your certificate from the nearest PSK. Just bring all the originals required.

good luck

Great, this is so helpful. Thanks so much! We have started filling out the application. It will be nice if the PSK assigns my husband a date to go there to pick up his certificate, so he knows when to be there. In his case, his PSK happens to be Ghaziabad (it's not in his city, but it overseas his city). I hope they will tell him what originals are needed. He has tried to call them multiple times from the phone numbers I found online for Ghaziabad PSK, but nobody picks up the phone there. It is just that it is a 7 hour journey to get to Ghaziabad for my husband, and I don't want him to go there and find out he was supposed to bring someone else that he didn't know about.

Thanks!

Timeline

I think you missed my 1st paragraph ;) My wife's experience to get PCC from Ahmedabad may not be the same as yours. If local police station at your husband's residence is less strict then they may give PCC without any immigration documents such as NOA2 or NOA1 :lol: it never hurts to give it a try. So take any action wisely.

Which city your husband lives in UP state? Someone on VJ may have experience from the same city, world is too small with the internet ;)

This is so true :P, I had mine done in CBI mumbai (It turned out a wasted effort because the rule changed and they only need one PCC from RPO now). All I had to submit was the DD, my proof of address (tel bill), passport photocopy and a copy of the checklist mentioning the need for the PCC from local police station. I got mine in 10 days. One trip to Police station.

As for Chennai RPO, pretty cool process... just go in there in the morning, submit the application, your passport photocopy and get a receipt. Go back next day and get the PCC.

All the best to you :)

Timeline

Hello... I also need further clarification on the police clearance matter, as my husband is going to attempt to obtain his police clearance tomorrow (though he is from Uttar Pradesh). If the passport is 6 months or older, my understanding is that the person needs to get police clearance from the local police department. People here have recommended me to ask my husband to renew his passport, but his passport is about 6 years old and he isn't going to renew it as it's not expired. So I am wondering.... Is there any sort of form that a person needs to bring with him to the police office requesting a clearance letter? My husband says that without a US form requesting police clearance, the police department won't have any reason to issue him the police clearance (or if they will give it to him, they will ask for a huge bribe in the absence of any documentation). He thinks we should just wait until the NVC asks for police clearance documentation. But everybody on this site has been telling me to request my husband to get the police clearance in advance of NOA2 (as my NOA1 should be approved any day now). Is there an online form I can download and email to my husband that shows evidence of needing to get the police clearance? I don't want him to have to go empty-handed to the police station tomorrow and have them asking him to pay thousands of rupees. Thanks!

I don't believe you need this anymore. Just got my GC in the grey pack today (yeh!!). They didn't take my local Pcc. They only took the one from the PSK.

My passport is over 3 years old. Here is the procedure

1. You file a request a the local police station, they ask for 300 Rs DD(at least they did 6 months ago), then the things i mention in my reply post below.. and give you a certificate with you photo pasted on it.

2. Now PSK is a different process, they get a separate application( pay 500 -1000), then check to see if their system is updated with 'police clearance done' when passport was issued. If their system is updated (it usually is if you had gotten your passport under the normal procedure and not tatkal) then they issue you a PCC with only your passport photocopy as proof as long as current address is same as permanent address mentioned in the passport.

3. There is no need to get the local pcc to get the PSK PCC. The local PCC does not affect or change your status at the PSK office.

And since the current rule according to the mumbai consulate website is that you only need one PCC from the local Passport office, why are you even bothering with the local area police station PCC? Pl check your consulate for requirement.

Regards.

Timeline

Thanks MysticLady! We are going through the Delhi consulate. When my husband got has passport 6 years back, the PSK requested a local police clearance at that time (though the passport office did the work of directly requesting it from his local police station, and my husband didn't have to do anything himself to get it done). And my husband has lived in the same house for the last 10+ years. So I don't know if the PSK will exempt him from the local police clearance since it was already done 6 years back and he has not moved in that time. My husband went to his local police this week, and they said that they wouldn't do it, but that he could talk to some 'DM' in his city (whatever that is?). We are already in the process of filling out that online application, so I hope that will be enough for the passport office in case the DM doesn't help.

Timeline

Thanks MysticLady! We are going through the Delhi consulate. When my husband got has passport 6 years back, the PSK requested a local police clearance at that time (though the passport office did the work of directly requesting it from his local police station, and my husband didn't have to do anything himself to get it done). And my husband has lived in the same house for the last 10+ years. So I don't know if the PSK will exempt him from the local police clearance since it was already done 6 years back and he has not moved in that time. My husband went to his local police this week, and they said that they wouldn't do it, but that he could talk to some 'DM' in his city (whatever that is?). We are already in the process of filling out that online application, so I hope that will be enough for the passport office in case the DM doesn't help.

If police came home before passport was issued (this is the procedure for regular passport issuance), you should have no problems getting the PCC from the passport office. I did a quick check of the delhi u.s consulate web site (http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/ivdocforms.html) and it looks like you need only one Pcc from passport office. I suggest your husband make the trip and apply online. He will most likely be issued one with no hassles. There is also a toll free psk number you can call for inquiry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.