mysticlady

Need Advice - Filing for IR5 for Mom in India

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

My Brother is a USC and is filing for my Mom from NY.I am doing the paper work for my mom's application and have this question. All advice would be appreciated.

My parents' marriage was not registered. So I made a request at the registrar's office to get a no record of marriage'. Well, they gave us one,

only its on the back of the receipt of payment (that we paid for requesting the information). Its signed, dated and sealed. Will this do?

Will this be accepted in the U.S when my brother includes it? This paltry piece of paper by itself was very difficult to obtain! I also plan to

include the notarized translation (the certificate, such as it is, is in the local language)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

My Brother is a USC and is filing for my Mom from NY.I am doing the paper work for my mom's application and have this question. All advice would be appreciated.

My parents' marriage was not registered. So I made a request at the registrar's office to get a no record of marriage'. Well, they gave us one,

only its on the back of the receipt of payment (that we paid for requesting the information). Its signed, dated and sealed. Will this do?

Will this be accepted in the U.S when my brother includes it? This paltry piece of paper by itself was very difficult to obtain! I also plan to

include the notarized translation (the certificate, such as it is, is in the local language)

I don't see why it should be a problem, as long as it is official and looks official. You may do the translation yourself (the laws allow it) but I have known friends who have had it done through court-appointed translators with an official seal. Make a photocopy of the non-availability certificate and have the copy too certified by the registrar's office or, at the very least, get it notarized.

During my interview, the IO retained with him the certified copy (of my non-availability of birth certificate) and did not return it. I am glad I took a certified copy with me, else I would have had to give him the original itself and as we all know, it was such a royal pain to get it in the first place. You will need the original if your mother plans to file for naturalization later.

The Journey

Arrived on F1 visa on 25 Dec 2008. Graduated June 2011. Started OPT Sep 2011.

AOS applied March 21, 2012. GC approved June 11, 2012 & received June 18, 2012.

Exactly three months from start to finish,no RFEs.

AOS Timeline:

Day 01,March 21, 2012: Concurrent filing of I-130/AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

Day 02,March 22, 2012: Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day 04,March 24, 2012: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received through e-mail

Day 07,March 27, 2012: Checks cashed.

Day 13,April 02, 2012 : NOAs received for I-130,I-485,EAD/AP & Biometrics

Day 36,April 25, 2012 : Biometrics Completed at Elizabeth, NJ.

Day 45,May 04, 2012 : E-mail notification for interview received for June 11

Day 46,May 05, 2012 : Received hard copy of interview notice

Day 56,May 16, 2012 : EAD/AP Production e-mail

Day 64,May 24, 2012 : EAD/AP Card in hand

Day 83,June 11,2012 : Interview. Approved same day. Card production email.

Day 84,June 12,2012 : E-mail Notification registering PR status.

Day 87,June 15,2012 : USPS picks up GC from USCIS.

Day 88,June 16,2012 : Received two hard copy mails, approving I-130 & I-485

Day 90,June 18,2012 : 10-year GC in hand. End of GC journey, for now.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Please read the instruction for I-130. (Son is filing for his mother). He (your brother) need to attach his birth certificate showing the mother's name. In addition to that any old pictures (your brother/mother) may be

shown as evidence.

Your mother's marriage certificate is not registered, you provide affidavit (anyone older than your mom) who has a knowledge have the marriage, any marriage invitation, marriage album, a sworn affidavit by your mom -- all these things will help.

Good Luck!

Hi All,

Timeline

I don't see why it should be a problem, as long as it is official and looks official. You may do the translation yourself (the laws allow it) but I have known friends who have had it done through court-appointed translators with an official seal. Make a photocopy of the non-availability certificate and have the copy too certified by the registrar's office or, at the very least, get it notarized.

During my interview, the IO retained with him the certified copy (of my non-availability of birth certificate) and did not return it. I am glad I took a certified copy with me, else I would have had to give him the original itself and as we all know, it was such a royal pain to get it in the first place. You will need the original if your mother plans to file for naturalization later.

Hi,

Thanks for that insight! Will do. << Rant>> I should have filed a RT I like my uncle for his marriage certificate - at least he got his on an A4 sheet of paper, only it took him 45 days. I got mine in a week with two wasted trips! <<Rant over>>. The thing is they say they don't provide a certificate of non-registration of marriage. That stumped me. So its just a hand-written statement that a search was made and no-records found with the date, sign and seal of the registrar's office.

Her non-availability of birth is done and its an official certificate, thank God! It looks like they get a lot of request for this, they had a format for it.

Timeline

Please read the instruction for I-130. (Son is filing for his mother). He (your brother) need to attach his birth certificate showing the mother's name. In addition to that any old pictures (your brother/mother) may be

shown as evidence.

Your mother's marriage certificate is not registered, you provide affidavit (anyone older than your mom) who has a knowledge have the marriage, any marriage invitation, marriage album, a sworn affidavit by your mom -- all these things will help.

Good Luck!

Yes, I know. I have obtained said affidavits already (as proof of marriage). One from my grandmother (her mother) and one from her natural sister (my Aunt). But, when I read the instructions it says that you need a non-registration of marriage certificate plus two affidavits.

Similarly you need a non availability of Birth Certificate plus secondary evidence of Birth (Two affidavits). I've got two - one from her mother and one from her aunt). This, I've done already.

The photos and my brother's birth certificate with mom's name that you mention, goes under the heading - proof of relationship (to my mom). That is my understanding from what I've read of the requirements.

Timeline

Hi,

Thanks for that insight! Will do. << Rant>> I should have filed a RT I like my uncle for his marriage certificate - at least he got his on an A4 sheet of paper, only it took him 45 days. I got mine in a week with two wasted trips! <<Rant over>>. The thing is they say they don't provide a certificate of non-registration of marriage. That stumped me. So its just a hand-written statement that a search was made and no-records found with the date, sign and seal of the registrar's office.

Her non-availability of birth is done and its an official certificate, thank God! It looks like they get a lot of request for this, they had a format for it.

Been there, done that. Believe me, it is not a process I want to go through ever again :hehe:

The Journey

AOS Timeline:

Timeline

Been there, done that. Believe me, it is not a process I want to go through ever again :hehe:

Hi,

:P Amen to that.

Question - So, I've got all the documents ready, taken 3 sets of colour photocopies notarized as true copies (will three sets do? one for the NVC, one here for the interview and one on hand) Am I missing some other place where these docs need submission?

Thanks.

Timeline

Hi,

:P Amen to that.

Question - So, I've got all the documents ready, taken 3 sets of colour photocopies notarized as true copies (will three sets do? one for the NVC, one here for the interview and one on hand) Am I missing some other place where these docs need submission?

Thanks.

Yes, three should do just fine, in fact, it is a more than sufficient number.

The Journey

AOS Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.