Givemegoodnews

what if the I 864A was a joint?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im the sponsor with no income intending to use parents joint tax return to meet income requirements

if their income came only from my fathers business, does my mother need to do an I864A too since they filed jointly?

or is an I864A from my father sufficient since the income is his?

thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You have zero income so your joint sponsor will do an I-864 as well.

There have been instances where an interviewing officer has asked for an I-864a from a joint sponsor's spouse simply as an acknowledgement of the sponsorship obligation. Since the joint sponsor is a petitioner's parent, it's less likely that would occur.

For a self employed person the income amount used is line 22 of their most recent (2011 in this case) tax return.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

You complete an I-864. Dad completes an I-864. Each of you supplies all the needed documentation for your individual affidavit of support.

Mom shouldn't need to do anything. Mom's income (from what you state) is zero.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

thanks again but i forgot to tell you i live with my parents

so they wouldnt be joint sponsors but household members

essentially requiring an 864A

but heres where im confused; my father has 3 dependents , where do i list them?

I-864A isn't appropriate in this instance.

You do an I-864. Dad does an I-864. Dad lists his household count on his I-864.

Your household is you + intending immigrant + any children that you two may have.

I-864A isn't appropriate in this instance.

You do an I-864. Dad does an I-864. Dad lists his household count on his I-864.

Your household is you + intending immigrant + any children that you two may have.

Im sorry but why isnt an I864A appropriate? They live with me as household members, and in the I864A one of the options is a parent.

Edited by Givemegoodnews

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just because you live in the same house does not mean you are household members for tax purposes. A I-864A is only appropriate for those who are financially linked- such as having joint taxes, or being dependants. Therefor, your dad fills in a I-864 and your mom a I-864A.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I see thank you so much ,

just one last question ,

since I lived with my parents , but Im not a dependent on their taxes, do they list me as part of their household?

and if my parents have 3 dependents , what do I show on my I-864 household size?

thanks again and sorry for the many questions , its just confusing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You show just yourself and your husband.

Your parents need not show you on their I-864 if you are financially independent / they have not taken a tax deduction for you as their dependant. If your parents have three minor kids or other dependants (disabled parents etc), then their household is parents 2+ dependants 3+ immigrant= 6

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Im sorry but why isnt an I864A appropriate? They live with me as household members, and in the I864A one of the options is a parent.

You have zero income. I-864A is when a household member's income will supplement a petitioner's shortfall. In your case for the sponsorship you are relying 100% on your joint sponsor. Therefore your joint sponsor's household responsibilities need to be fully disclosed. The I-864 gives that full disclosure.

No need to risk the delay that would come from the interviewing officer requesting more info about an I-864A joint sponsor. Supply the 864 and that's one less worry at the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.