Kaia Seleri

How long do I have to stay out of the states to came back with my B1B2 visa?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am currently in a tourist visa and have to leave the country in a few months. Is there a time that I have to stay out of the states to came back with my tourist visa?

Note: My tourist visa is good for 10 years, and every time I enter the US I get 6 months.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I am currently in a tourist visa and have to leave the country in a few months. Is there a time that I have to stay out of the states to came back with my tourist visa?

Note: My tourist visa is good for 10 years, and every time I enter the US I get 6 months.

Kaia, in principle there is no minimum amount of time you are required to be away before returning to the US but if you turn around much too quickly you may be questioned or even refused admittance at the POE.

If you just returned to Brazil and has a valid reason to return to the US you need to be prepared to prove it to the officer upon arrival in the US. However, if you were considering using your tourist visa to leave and come back as a means to reside in the US part-time and legally, then at some point it may backfire.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

I am currently in a tourist visa and have to leave the country in a few months. Is there a time that I have to stay out of the states to came back with my tourist visa?Note: My tourist visa is good for 10 years, and every time I enter the US I get 6 months.

By law, one minute.

There's no required time you need to stay out of the country. The requirement is that you're a genuine tourist/visitor. So if you stay for 6 months, and then return shortly after, the CBP officer will naturally have doubts that you are in fact a tourist. If they doubt your intention, your tourist visa can be cancelled and you'll be denied entry.

Generally, it's a good idea to spend more time outside the US, than in the US.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Tourist visa is not to live in US, maximum number of months allowed in a year is 6 months and there after you neeed to stay out of US as long as required to establish your perm residence in your home country.

You have 10 years multiple entry and you can visit US anytime and how long you get to stay would be decided at POE by the officer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just have good reason to want to return to the USA and get ready to prove it to the POE officer.

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Just have good reason to want to return to the USA and get ready to prove it to the POE officer.

Back to back six month trips will raise questions and red flags...after all, how many working age people get a year of paid vacation from other developing countries? Answer: zero. So, the border officials will wonder how in the world you can pull this off without having to work (illegally) in the US...there is no such thing as a legitimate tourist who spends 12 months in the US....that is nonsense...even Bill Gates, a billionaire, does not spend a year in a foreign country...and somehow, I doubt you are as well off as Mr. Gates. I would bring a long novel to read, because you will likely be sent back home the same day...so having something to read will be welcome. :blush:

Timeline

Back to back six month trips will raise questions and red flags...after all, how many working age people get a year of paid vacation from other developing countries? Answer: zero. So, the border officials will wonder how in the world you can pull this off without having to work (illegally) in the US...there is no such thing as a legitimate tourist who spends 12 months in the US....that is nonsense...even Bill Gates, a billionaire, does not spend a year in a foreign country...and somehow, I doubt you are as well off as Mr. Gates. I would bring a long novel to read, because you will likely be sent back home the same day...so having something to read will be welcome. :blush:

In his statement he does say he will stay another 6 months though, you are just asssuming he will. He says he is allowed 6 Months, dosent mean he will use all of them. Also what the hell are you talking about Brazil being a developing country?? Have you ever heard of B.R.I.C.??? The new powerhouse economies in the world?? Brazil, Russia, India, China??? I love America but our economy is #### right now, could be better. I've seen this done by buisness owners in other countries just coming here to travel across the USA and mantain there financial status by the buisness they have back home. :bonk:

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

NVC

FkP5m4.png

In his statement he does say he will stay another 6 months though, you are just asssuming he will. He says he is allowed 6 Months, dosent mean he will use all of them. Also what the hell are you talking about Brazil being a developing country?? Have you ever heard of B.R.I.C.??? The new powerhouse economies in the world?? Brazil, Russia, India, China??? I love America but our economy is #### right now, could be better. I've seen this done by buisness owners in other countries just coming here to travel across the USA and mantain there financial status by the buisness they have back home. :bonk:

How many Brazilians get 12 months paid vacation? 1? 3? I doubt the OP is amongst that select group....and how can somebody 'run' a business while loafing in the US for a year, and be considered a good business owner/manager? Doesn't happen. :wacko:

Timeline

How many Brazilians get 12 months paid vacation? 1? 3? I doubt the OP is amongst that select group....and how can somebody 'run' a business while loafing in the US for a year, and be considered a good business owner/manager? Doesn't happen. :wacko:

Again, assuming he is staying for the full 6 months. I used to work in import/export to latin america, 8 months out of the year I was in Different countries meeting clients, new & old, to increase sales for the company i worked for. The owner, who was India, went to china for 10 months out of the year to do the same.

btw SMART buisness owners work hard in the beginging, save their $$$, and then eventually have someone like a manager run it for them.

Funny, on one of my buisness trips I took advantage of my time in south america to meet my fiancee.

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

NVC

FkP5m4.png

Timeline

in the end , back to back entrances to the USA with a tourist visa is NOT impossible. But not easy at the same time.

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

NVC

FkP5m4.png

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1340226093[/url]' post='5466570']

in the end , back to back entrances to the USA with a tourist visa is NOT impossible. But not easy at the same time.

That is correct. It all depends on a series or circumstances and those are decided by the immigration office at the POE.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

What is your reason for returning to the states after being here for 6 months as a tourist?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Obviously there is more to this story than is being told. Common sense, which is suppose to prevail, should be used here. The way the OP stated his question leads us to believe that he/she wants to stay 6 months (which is highly suspicious) leave the country (in order to not accrue overstay) for the minimum amount of time that he/she can get away with before returning back to the US to stay again. This again is highly suspicious. Should the OP want to divulge further information, then a refined answer could be given. The OP made no reference to any kind of business. The answers given are accurate and general because not enough info.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The main idea of a tourist visa to to visit the US from your place of reidence. Define place of residence as the place where you live MOST of the time. Using that definition it implies that if you must not be in the US more than 365/2 days a year or the US is your place of residence. Who gets to decide when you are too close to residing here. The person letting you in. How does he count a year, is it Jan to Jan or visit one to today. Any time you are getting close to the 365/2 you run the risk of being turned away if the visit could put you near or over 365/2

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.