TsipVed

Any Ukrainians in Las Vegas area?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys,

I am Ukrainian and moved 2 months ago to Las Vegas on a fiancee visa. We've filed for AOS a couple of weeks ago and now I am in the process of waiting for all my paperwork to arrive. So I have two issues here: being a housewife drives me nuts (since I cannot legally work and as a result I don't have a chance to meet new people and make friends/connections here), second - I am sooo homesick that sometimes I wanna run :o Just wondering if there are any Ukrainians/Russians/Belorussians in Las Vegas so we could maybe hang out together and share our experiences? (L)

as1cJY0kw2B0010MDA1MTMxbHN8MDYyNzBsfFNpbmNlIG91ciBwcmlvcml0eSBkYXRlIC0g.gif

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey guys,

I am Ukrainian and moved 2 months ago to Las Vegas on a fiancee visa. We've filed for AOS a couple of weeks ago and now I am in the process of waiting for all my paperwork to arrive. So I have two issues here: being a housewife drives me nuts (since I cannot legally work and as a result I don't have a chance to meet new people and make friends/connections here), second - I am sooo homesick that sometimes I wanna run :o Just wondering if there are any Ukrainians/Russians/Belorussians in Las Vegas so we could maybe hang out together and share our experiences? (L)

Is there a Mom's Club there in the area? Do you have children? Want to have? What about your husband? Don't you guys do things together?.....the onus is on him to break up your boredom from being at home !!!!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Is there a Mom's Club there in the area? Do you have children? Want to have? What about your husband? Don't you guys do things together?.....the onus is on him to break up your boredom from being at home !!!!

What's a "mom's club"? Kira would have gone nuts if she had to stay home every day. I mean after the third week here she got a job because she couldn't stand being stuck at home day in and day out. She met a Russian couple who lives here nine months out of the year teaching at the university and that was a good thing. She had people to speak to in Russian that she had a lot in common with and it's helped her out in the long run. Not just with her classes and student grants, but not feeling isolated in a foreign country that speaks English when she was born and raised in a Russia speaking country.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Thank you very much :) I will def check those out. Responding to the other poster's statement that it's my husband's job to entertain me i just wanna say that he does support me a lot and we do lots of stuff together. He is the reason I've moved here, but he cannot replace my friends, my "Ukrainian soul mates", everything I gave up in Ukraine. I really miss it, I even miss things about Ukraine that I hated when living there :) Plus I believe it's not healthy for a couple to spend 24/7 together. :blink: I just really need to find some good friends here and at this point I would feel more comfortable spending time with European mentality kind of people. I need some time to get used to American smiles and conversations about nothing. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just very different here.

Your feelings are similar to that of my wife shortly after her arrival. Doing searches for Russian/Ukrainian stores is helpful, but you might also look for Orthodox churches. In our small town we did not know any other Russian speakers until we met an old friend of mine that had married a Ukrainian woman. After meeting her we got turned onto our small Russian speaking community. However, what made my wife feel more at home was being able to shop in a Russian/Ukrainian store. Finding groceries that she was familiar with was a God send. We have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the closest store, but it is worth the drive. You might not find many Russian speakers in Las Vegas, but you can find much more in nearby California. It is still a long drive, but maybe worth it to help you adjust to life in America.

By the way, Welcome to America. We all hope you will be very happy here. :thumbs:

Timeline

Your feelings are similar to that of my wife shortly after her arrival. Doing searches for Russian/Ukrainian stores is helpful, but you might also look for Orthodox churches. In our small town we did not know any other Russian speakers until we met an old friend of mine that had married a Ukrainian woman. After meeting her we got turned onto our small Russian speaking community. However, what made my wife feel more at home was being able to shop in a Russian/Ukrainian store. Finding groceries that she was familiar with was a God send. We have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the closest store, but it is worth the drive. You might not find many Russian speakers in Las Vegas, but you can find much more in nearby California. It is still a long drive, but maybe worth it to help you adjust to life in America.

By the way, Welcome to America. We all hope you will be very happy here. :thumbs:

Thank you so much for your support :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.