mysticlady

Detailed Mumbai CR1 Interview Experience date 19 June 2012

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks, mystic. My wife's interview is today at 7:45 AM. I was freaking out since its been almost 2 hours and I haven't gotten a text from her but then I re-read your first post from this thread and it seems it took you around 4 hours before you finally had your interview. So I feel a little better now, lol.

:) I can imagine. Also, if she hasn't stored her phone at the VFS locker facility, you'll have to wait a little longer till she gets to wherever she's left her belongings. Mumbai traffic's crazy. My people had to wait one hour extra till I got home to get news from me. Let me know good news soon.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

As promised, here is the run down...

Interview time 7:30 A.M 19 June 2012.

1. 5:30 A.M : Up and Out of the house by 6:15 A.M. Taxis are a problem in south mumbai at 6:15.. finally flagged one at 6:20 A.M. The streets were traffic free so reached the consulate at about 6:50 A.M.

2. Suggest you have all docs in a transparent folder, do your check the night before if your appointment is as early as mine. I carried just a small purse in the pocket of my denim. There's a couple of VFS cars there if you'd like to make the 5 min journey to store your cell and other stuff there. Btw, backpacks aren't allowed in.

3. Note - Pl don't carry the unwieldy X-ray with you, you only require it at POE. Take just the smaller medical packet with you if you haven't already submitted it to VFS. Also, most people brought their huge wedding albums with them and had difficulty in carting it. Not needed, just pick a few snaps and carry it in the folder. That's what I did - I carried three of my wedding and five of us with friends and such. The people that brought the album ended up showing a couple of photos to the CO through the window. So, spare yourself the trouble of carrying the heavy album.

4. 7: 10 A.M : The line was already long and I settled in to wait. I was about 15th in line with ten people behind me at the time. Two Indian employees came and asked us to keep our appointment letters handy. i.e. take it out of the folder. They are most likey VFS employees and are courteous.

5. 7: 20 A.M : The security guy comes and requests the family waiting with the applicant to move to the other side of the road. There's no space for people accompanying you to wait in- the best is beneath the tress across the consulate.

6. 7: 25 A.M : Line starts moving. There's a cursory check at the main gate of the appointment letter again

7. 7: 30 A.M : Securtiy check like in an airport. You put your folders and albums in trays and are frisked. Here's where the line breaks and people rush to get their screening done with.

8. 7: 45 A.M : Walk to the next building where the immigration wait area is clearly marked. There is a line where one window operates to give you a token.

9. 8: 10 A.m : Have token stuck to appointment letter. Now, we wait. There are just two counters open at this point for check of docs and such. The waiting area is divided into two blocks. You are seated at the far end facing the windows that are manned by Indians. The windows that are in the front area are set aside for CO's.

10.9 :45 A.M : Finally called to the first window. Twiddled thumbs till then though I took along a book for the day.Sit by the big glass window to catch the heat of the morning sun. The guy at the counter was very nice, asked to see my DD first to check if I'd got the reduced amount. Was very happy that I had. Asked me if I had my I-864 on me. I handed it to him. He said everything's in order. Gave me my originals minus the PCC and medical report.

11. 10 : 40 A.M : Called me to the counter again to collect the DD and provide me a receipt.

12. 11 : 45 A.M : After some gawking, conversation and shameless eves dropping got called to the front counter. Interview time. Here's the gist

1. One 35 odd year old Caucasian female and a twenty something Indian guy at the window. Another white lady

stood just behind the lady seated. m guessing she was manning the previous window.

2. Lady - Hi Ma'am, you comfortable in English? Me - Yup

3. Lady - Pl place your right hand for finger printing.

4. Lady - Raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth blah blah. Me-Yup. Sign the form, she marks the place to sign.

5. Lady - Who's calling you? Me - Husband

6. Lady - When were you married? Me- Date

7. Lady - And you're husband's here on temp assignment? Me - Yup

8. Lady - When is he headed back? Me - Date

9. Lady - Looking at my I-864 - He works for XYZ in U.S too? Me - yup. She's marking check boxes in the form as she speaks

10. Lady - Where will you go in the U.S? Me - ABC

11. Looks at computer for 6 secs, then says Ma'am your visa is approved.

12. Look up and smiles... oh, do you have any snaps? Me - A few. Hand them over. She hardly looks at them.

13. Hands back the pics. Says bye with a big smile. Passport be with you in 3 working days. Me - smile and bye. Time - 11. 52 A.M

Head out of the many doors into the sun at 12 sharp :)

Hi mysticlady,

Greetings!

I have one question. I have my interview on November in Mumbai Embassy for CR1 visa preference category. Just wondering that for this US spouse interview, my husband has submitted all the documents and payment in NVC so in my case do I need to submit again affidavit of support as my husband has already submitted that in NVC and I don't have that with me. In the appointment letter they didn't mention anything other than passport, immigrant visa application part 1 and part 2. So please tell me do I need to submit again the I - 864 form for CR1 category?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.