mysticlady

Detailed Mumbai CR1 Interview Experience date 19 June 2012

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

As promised, here is the run down...

Interview time 7:30 A.M 19 June 2012.

1. 5:30 A.M : Up and Out of the house by 6:15 A.M. Taxis are a problem in south mumbai at 6:15.. finally flagged one at 6:20 A.M. The streets were traffic free so reached the consulate at about 6:50 A.M.

2. Suggest you have all docs in a transparent folder, do your check the night before if your appointment is as early as mine. I carried just a small purse in the pocket of my denim. There's a couple of VFS cars there if you'd like to make the 5 min journey to store your cell and other stuff there. Btw, backpacks aren't allowed in.

3. Note - Pl don't carry the unwieldy X-ray with you, you only require it at POE. Take just the smaller medical packet with you if you haven't already submitted it to VFS. Also, most people brought their huge wedding albums with them and had difficulty in carting it. Not needed, just pick a few snaps and carry it in the folder. That's what I did - I carried three of my wedding and five of us with friends and such. The people that brought the album ended up showing a couple of photos to the CO through the window. So, spare yourself the trouble of carrying the heavy album.

4. 7: 10 A.M : The line was already long and I settled in to wait. I was about 15th in line with ten people behind me at the time. Two Indian employees came and asked us to keep our appointment letters handy. i.e. take it out of the folder. They are most likey VFS employees and are courteous.

5. 7: 20 A.M : The security guy comes and requests the family waiting with the applicant to move to the other side of the road. There's no space for people accompanying you to wait in- the best is beneath the tress across the consulate.

6. 7: 25 A.M : Line starts moving. There's a cursory check at the main gate of the appointment letter again

7. 7: 30 A.M : Securtiy check like in an airport. You put your folders and albums in trays and are frisked. Here's where the line breaks and people rush to get their screening done with.

8. 7: 45 A.M : Walk to the next building where the immigration wait area is clearly marked. There is a line where one window operates to give you a token.

9. 8: 10 A.m : Have token stuck to appointment letter. Now, we wait. There are just two counters open at this point for check of docs and such. The waiting area is divided into two blocks. You are seated at the far end facing the windows that are manned by Indians. The windows that are in the front area are set aside for CO's.

10.9 :45 A.M : Finally called to the first window. Twiddled thumbs till then though I took along a book for the day.Sit by the big glass window to catch the heat of the morning sun. The guy at the counter was very nice, asked to see my DD first to check if I'd got the reduced amount. Was very happy that I had. Asked me if I had my I-864 on me. I handed it to him. He said everything's in order. Gave me my originals minus the PCC and medical report.

11. 10 : 40 A.M : Called me to the counter again to collect the DD and provide me a receipt.

12. 11 : 45 A.M : After some gawking, conversation and shameless eves dropping got called to the front counter. Interview time. Here's the gist

1. One 35 odd year old Caucasian female and a twenty something Indian guy at the window. Another white lady

stood just behind the lady seated. m guessing she was manning the previous window.

2. Lady - Hi Ma'am, you comfortable in English? Me - Yup

3. Lady - Pl place your right hand for finger printing.

4. Lady - Raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth blah blah. Me-Yup. Sign the form, she marks the place to sign.

5. Lady - Who's calling you? Me - Husband

6. Lady - When were you married? Me- Date

7. Lady - And you're husband's here on temp assignment? Me - Yup

8. Lady - When is he headed back? Me - Date

9. Lady - Looking at my I-864 - He works for XYZ in U.S too? Me - yup. She's marking check boxes in the form as she speaks

10. Lady - Where will you go in the U.S? Me - ABC

11. Looks at computer for 6 secs, then says Ma'am your visa is approved.

12. Look up and smiles... oh, do you have any snaps? Me - A few. Hand them over. She hardly looks at them.

13. Hands back the pics. Says bye with a big smile. Passport be with you in 3 working days. Me - smile and bye. Time - 11. 52 A.M

Head out of the many doors into the sun at 12 sharp :)

Edited by mysticlady

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Thanks for the details and congrats!

Our CR1 Journey

Met - 1/14/2010 // Engaged - 3/6/2011

K1 filed - 6/8/11 // Interview @ Mumbai Consulate - 1/5/2012: Denied // USCIS final decision - 3/15/2013; administratively closed and free to file again without prejudice

Married in Delhi - 1/30/2014

Sent I-130: 4/7/2014 NOA 1: 4/10/2014

NOA 2: 11/13/2014 (after 217 days)

NVC Received: 11/26/2014 (13 days from USCIS to the NVC)  // Case # & IIN # received - 12/29/2014 (via phone to NVC) Also sent email to get case transferred to New Delhi

NVC Welcome Letter received: 12/30/2014

Submit DS-261: 12/30/2014 // Paid AOS Bill: 1/2/2015  // Received IV Bill & Paid: 1/13/2015 (CEAC shows PAID 1/15/15) // DS-260 submitted: 1/17/2015

AOS & IV packages sent via FedEx: 1/19/2015  // AOS/IV packages received: 1/21/2015 @ 9:58 am (Signed for by: G. Waters) Scan date: 1/21/2015

60-Day Email from NVC: 1/24/2015 2nd 60-Day Email from NVC: 1/26/2015 (OK...I get it, it's taking 60 days.... sigh)

Reply from NVC re: Transfer to New Delhi : 2/16/2015 (Told to contact New Delhi...49 days wasted for no help at all!)

CASE COMPLETE!!: 3/12/2015 (50 days) // Case Complete Email Received: 3/19/2015 (7 days from CC date)

Interview Date Received via phone inquiry to NVC: 3/24/2015 // Packet 4 (Interview letter/Instructions) received: 3/25/2015

Medical Completed: 3/30/2015 // CEAC status: In transit to Mumbai and shows READY as of 4/1/2015

Biometrics Completed: 5/4/2015 // Received call from Embassy 5/11/2015 asking if we want to transfer to Delhi.....huh? One week prior to interview? Ummm.... no thanks!

INTERVIEW!! 5/18/2015 @ 7:30 am ~ Mumbai Consulate  RESULT: APPROVED!!!

Visa in hand: 05/20/2015 (Yay!) ELIS Fee ($165) paid this day as well

POE: 05/29/2015 Newark 

SSN card received: 6/8/2015 (processed on 6/2/2015) // ELIS shows "Optimized" since 5/30/2015  // ELIS changed to "In Process" 07/14/2015. (E-file received 06/25/15)

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!! 7/30/2015

ROC

Sent:  3/22/2017 | $680 Check cashed: 4/3/2017

NOA1: 3/30/2017 (Rcvd 4/3/2017)

Biometrics Appt letter received: 4/22/2017 - Biometrics date:  5/3/2017 - Done. Hubby said they were super friendly in the Pittsburgh field office! 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanxxx for the detailed Interview Experience and Good Luck for ur Journey to US.

Can u pls answer the following questions pertaining to ur Interview...

1. During Pre-Screening were u asked any questions by Indian Officer?? U just mentioned that he asked for DD and I-864 Docs and gave back ur Original Docs to u, but i hav heard in most cases during pre-screening they ask u questions abt u and petitioner.

2. When do we take oath.i.e. during Initial Screening with Indian Officer or during 2nd final Interview with American CO???

3. When do they ask us that if we need Translator or not...During Final Interview or final Interview???

4. Is it easy or difficult to understand American CO's speech when he/she questions us ...i mean they speak very fast. Can we understand their speech or it takes time to understand what they ask???

5. During our Interview what do they observe in us i.e. our Body Language, speech etc..??? Mostly who observes all this Indian Officers or American CO..????

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

November 14 2013 I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 15 2013 I-130 Received at Chicago Lockbox Facility

November 18 2013 Email from USCIS about Petition Acceptance (PD Nov 15 2013)

November 19 2013 I 797 NOA 1 received by mail

March 24 2015 Received E Mail and Text Notification about Case transfer to another USCIS Office

March 28 2015 Received Hard copy of Transfer Notice from USCIS

March 31 2015 Case Approved by USCIS

April 1 2015 Received Email and Text message for Case Approval

April 4 2015 Received Hard Copy of NOA2 from USCIS

NVC STAGE

April 16 2015 Case received at NVC

April 24 2015 Case Number and IIN received on Call

April 27 2015 Paid AOS Fees and Submitted DS-261

April 29 2015 Welcome Letter from NVC in Email

May 05 2015 DS-261 reviewed over phone

May 06 2015 AOS & Civil Documents sent to NVC

May 07 2015 Documents received at NVC

May 08 2015 Email from NVC to pay IV Fees

June 08 2015 IV PAID

June 10 2015 Submitted DS-260

July 13 2015 Case Completed

July 29 2015 Finally....Got Interview Date

Sep 18 2015 Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Thanxxx for the detailed Interview Experience and Good Luck for ur Journey to US.

Can u pls answer the following questions pertaining to ur Interview...

1. During Pre-Screening were u asked any questions by Indian Officer?? U just mentioned that he asked for DD and I-864 Docs and gave back ur Original Docs to u, but i hav heard in most cases during pre-screening they ask u questions abt u and petitioner.

2. When do we take oath.i.e. during Initial Screening with Indian Officer or during 2nd final Interview with American CO???

3. When do they ask us that if we need Translator or not...During Final Interview or final Interview???

4. Is it easy or difficult to understand American CO's speech when he/she questions us ...i mean they speak very fast. Can we understand their speech or it takes time to understand what they ask???

5. During our Interview what do they observe in us i.e. our Body Language, speech etc..??? Mostly who observes all this Indian Officers or American CO..????

Here are the answers -

1. No. He was just checking the I 864 and noted where my husband worked and where I used to work. He then said all documents are in order. Most Indian windows yesterday did not take long with applicants as long as you had the docs ready and understood English. I noticed two cases where there was lengthier conversation at the pre screening - a) the sponsor/joint sponsor cases where the income/combined income is only marginally more than the requirement and b)where the documents aren't complete - affidavits missing or not notarized.

2. Oath is given at the interview counter with American CO.

3. Depends - I wasn't asked at the screening counter. But a couple of other people were. However you are asked again at the interview counter by the American CO.

4. They speak slowly during the interview. They use very common words, shouldn't be an issue at all. And you can take your time in answering. They are mostly looking at your paperwork when they talk to you.

5. The Indian is mostly there to help the CO with Indian lingo, I'm guessing.:) seriously, they don't say anything and are non threatening. Its only the American CO asking you questions and so you look at them while answering. If you use a translator, then the Indian translator asks you the questions and you answer him/her. I barely even glanced at the Indian guy. It was one on one - me and the CO. Here's the trick to my mind. Be yourself. Try and be direct in answering. Look him/her in the eye. Be confident - that's more than enough body language for the Indian guy to observe!

Edited by mysticlady

Timeline

Here are the answers -

1. No. He was just checking the I 864 and noted where my husband worked and where I used to work. He then said all documents are in order. Most Indian windows yesterday did not take long with applicants as long as you had the docs ready and understood English. I noticed two cases where there was lengthier conversation at the pre screening - a) the sponsor/joint sponsor cases where the income/combined income is only marginally more than the requirement and b)where the documents aren't complete - affidavits missing or not notarized.

2. Oath is given at the interview counter with American CO.

3. Depends - I wasn't asked at the screening counter. But a couple of other people were. However you are asked again at the interview counter by the American CO.

4. They speak slowly during the interview. They use very common words, shouldn't be an issue at all. And you can take your time in answering. They are mostly looking at your paperwork when they talk to you.

5. The Indian is mostly there to help the CO with Indian lingo, I'm guessing.:) seriously, they don't say anything and are non threatening. Its only the American CO asking you questions and so you look at them while answering. If you use a translator, then the Indian translator asks you the questions and you answer him/her. I barely even glanced at the Indian guy. It was one on one - me and the CO. Here's the trick to my mind. Be yourself. Try and be direct in answering. Look him/her in the eye. Be confident - that's more than enough body language for the Indian guy to observe!

Thank you very much for the answers. I hope it will be useful to me as well as all others who will be going for their Interview at Mumbai. Thank you very much once again and Best of Luck for ur rest of Life in USA...

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

March 24 2015 Received E Mail and Text Notification about Case transfer to another USCIS Office

NVC STAGE

June 08 2015 IV PAID

Timeline

Thank you very much for the answers. I hope it will be useful to me as well as all others who will be going for their Interview at Mumbai. Thank you very much once again and Best of Luck for ur rest of Life in USA...

My pleasure. Don't stress too much, but prepare your docs well. All the best for your interview. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Timeline

@nysticlady

nice write up.

best of luck for your journey to the states. :)

i will pm u if i have any qun abt interview experience at mumbai...coz my local consulate is mumbai..and i think i have to go there after 2-3 months.

Thanks. :) sure.

Timeline

hi, please tell me one thing, the copies of the documents that u give, i.e marriage certificate, birth certificate etc...do they have to be noterised while giving to the VSF?

Nope. Those copies don't need notarizing. Only supporting documents like affidavits or translation of original documents need to be notarised.

Timeline

My pleasure. Don't stress too much, but prepare your docs well. All the best for your interview. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks ......@Mysticlady

Edited by may_taurus

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

NVC STAGE

June 08 2015 IV PAID

Timeline

Lady - Who's calling you? Me - Husband

Lady - When were you married? Me- Date

Lady - And you're husband's here on temp assignment? Me - Yup

Lady - When is he headed back? Me - Date

Lady - Looking at my I-864 - He works for XYZ in U.S too? Me - yup.

Lady - Where will you go in the U.S? Me - ABC

Hey @MysticLady I would like to know how did u answered the above Questions....i.e. In Detail or simply as stated above.

For Eg. they asked "Who's calling u" ? - U said just Husband or MY Husband or his full name or sumthg like that ???

Lady - When is he headed back? Me - Date - Did u mentioned full date or just month & Year???

Lady - Where will you go in the U.S? Me - ABC- Did u mentioned full address of US or just City & State in US where u will be staying ???

I want to know is simply how to answer them, very short or brief answers or to the point only as i asked u above??? Did u greeted her by saying "Gud Mrng Maam" or sumthg like this or just said her as "Gud Mrng Officer" ??? CO's dont like applicants calling them as Maam or Sir or sunthg like this...

So Should we call them as Maam or Sir or as Officer ???

Edited by may_taurus

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

NVC STAGE

June 08 2015 IV PAID

Timeline

Lady - Who's calling you? Me - Husband

Lady - When were you married? Me- Date

Lady - And you're husband's here on temp assignment? Me - Yup

Lady - When is he headed back? Me - Date

Lady - Looking at my I-864 - He works for XYZ in U.S too? Me - yup.

Lady - Where will you go in the U.S? Me - ABC

Hey @MysticLady I would like to know how did u answered the above Questions....i.e. In Detail or simply as stated above.

For Eg. they asked "Who's calling u" ? - U said just Husband or MY Husband or his full name or sumthg like that ???

Lady - When is he headed back? Me - Date - Did u mentioned full date or just month & Year???

Lady - Where will you go in the U.S? Me - ABC- Did u mentioned full address of US or just City & State in US where u will be staying ???

I want to know is simply how to answer them, very short or brief answers or to the point only as i asked u above??? Did u greeted her by saying "Gud Mrng Maam" or sumthg like this or just said her as "Gud Mrng Officer" ??? CO's dont like applicants calling them as Maam or Sir or sunthg like this...

So Should we call them as Maam or Sir or as Officer ???

I didn't greet her at all. She was busy looking at my passport when I walked up to her window. I waited until she was done. She looked up and said.. Hi Ma'am, you comfortable with English?.. and I said 'Yup'. The conversation went exactly like I wrote in my description - word for word. I replied only Husband to the first question. I just mentioned month for the second. Just city for the third.

Short and brief to the point answers are good. I didn't get a chance to call her anything, I only responded to her questions. I'm sure it won't hurt if you were to call him/her sir/ma'am. That's acceptable protocol.

Timeline

I didn't greet her at all. She was busy looking at my passport when I walked up to her window. I waited until she was done. She looked up and said.. Hi Ma'am, you comfortable with English?.. and I said 'Yup'. The conversation went exactly like I wrote in my description - word for word. I replied only Husband to the first question. I just mentioned month for the second. Just city for the third.

Short and brief to the point answers are good. I didn't get a chance to call her anything, I only responded to her questions. I'm sure it won't hurt if you were to call him/her sir/ma'am. That's acceptable protocol.

Ok...So only point to point answers r good rather than brief description which may further invoke the CO to ask more questions. The only important thing during Interview is that Eye to Eye contact with CO with confident speech and short and sweet answers.....

One thing i have heard from many people is that CO's r always busy during Interview with their computers.... they don't even care to look at the applicants...They just start questioning and even w/o looking at the applicants, they type sumthg in their PC....Applicants just answer them....CO's dont even monitor the applicant's body language...I think it is the other officer (maybe Indian) accompanying the American CO that monitors the body language and facial xpressions.

I-130 / F-2A

USCIS

NVC STAGE

June 08 2015 IV PAID

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.