mysticlady

CR1 Doc submission done, awaiting interview

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

I am in mumbai and my husband lives in NYC but is on temp. deputation in Mumbai. I have my interview next week - my doc submission is done and all that is left to do is attend the interview. I did have a difficult time trying to get some of the docs done as my husband is new to India and is unsure of the process and it is my first time immigrating :) Some of the things I read in here helped and I thought I'd share my experience in the hope that it may help other spouses living here.

1. We filed the I-130 here in Delhi on the 31st of may 2011, six months after we were married. We submitted forms D230 and our marriage certificate, my birth certificate, my petitioner's forms (husband)of support e.t.c. For some reason, the Mumbai consulate doesn't accept I 130 - at least it didn't then.

2. We got the Approval and the next packet by end May (pretty quick). The packet said to send the check-list once all the documents were collected. I didn't send it out as my PCCs hadn't been done yet. At that time, the requirement was that adult Indians whose passport was issued more that six months ago need two pccs - one from the local area police station and the other from the passport office that issued your passport.

3. I was very surprised when I got my interview call in July 2011 despite not sending in the checklist of readiness.Also I was away from Mumbai and couldn't get back in time for the interview. However, I did mail the consulate at the Id given stating my emergency and requesting a re-schedule. No problems thus far.

4. Enter VFS. In Feb 2012, immigration processing was outsourced to VFS and thats when my problems started. Once ready and back I started e-mailing VFS and calling them for my interview. They are pretty clueless and read out what's written on the website with no additional clarity. Also, their work is bordering on incompetence. I was mailed an appointment letter for a date that had already gone by!!

5.Now comes the rule change - I don't know exactly when it changed but now adult Indians need only get one PCC from the local area passport office. The ambiguity here is the meaning of local. Does it mean the place where your passport was issued or where you live currently? I called and e-mailed VFS and was told three times that 'local' means the passport office that issued your passport and not the one where you stay currently. To get this clarity was the most difficult. I do have a PCC from the local police station (from the previous requirement) and now have one from the regional passport office. I understand you can also request for PCC from the passport office in the city you live in and if it is not the place that issued your passport then the wait is longer and you have to give in three personal particular forms and proof of current address. They issue you a pcc, no problems. Another option is to travel to the place that issued your passport and make a request. You are granted a PCC the very same day or the next at the most, provided you did not get your passport by TATKAL. Because then it means that police verification wasn't carried out then and hence you will have to wait for a fresh verification to be carried out.

6. Document submission - Pl be sure to submit your docs at the VFS center in Mumbai four working days before your interview. They are pretty strict about this. Your interview may be cancelled and you'd be required to go through the painful process of re-scheduling with VFS. There was a lady this happend to day before yesterday when I filed my docs. The process per se was painless, though they did not take the sponsors documents. Nor did they take copies of all the pages of your passport as mentioned in the appointment letter. I was asked to carry the sponsors docs directly to the interview though I requested them to take it as I had it on hand. They did however take the medical report that I had on me.

7.Another problem especially in Mumbai is scheduling the medical exam. Only Lilavathy hospital is on the list of panel approved physicians. They are overbooked and since they require a copy of your interview appointment letter you can't make a anticipatory appointment for your test. My interview is on the 19th of June and I got my letter on the 25th of may. I called the very next day to get my appointment and there was no one to pick up the phone! I tried for three days and also left a voice mail. When I called on the forth day I was told that the only available time was on the 12th and I'd get my reports on the 13th in the morning or afternoon. This means I wouldn't be able to submit the report to VFS if I am to meet the four day requirement. I called the VFS helpline to explain my problem and was told they cannot help and to carry the medical report directly to the consulate. ( Was told that this has happened before, though the Mumbai consulate web site states that you cannot bring in any sealed docs). I was a little put out by this as I'd dreamed of going with no docs to the consulate (didn't know then that VFS wouldn't take my sponsors docs). I had to travel to Chennai for something else for a week and Apollo which is panel approved told me I could come in anytime after 11 a.m monday to saturday for the test. Reports the next day by 3 30 p.m. This was a boon and I have to say Apollo was awesome. The Heart center at Gremes road hardly felt like a hospital, fully air-conditioned and nice smelling :). The doc was very chatty and the physical exam was a breeze - you do have to take off all your garments, but they give you a front open hospital gown. The wait period to get the blood done, the x-ray taken and the physical done is a little over 3 hours. Next come the vaccination injections - the wait here was ridiculous as the one nurse that was on duty was run off her feat. I got only two injections - painless i must say the nurse knew her craft.

That's about it - my doc submissions done, awaiting my interview next week! Hope my post helps people. Feel free to ask me questions, will update post my interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your detailed post. Wish you the best on your interview :thumbs:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to India regional forum; OP's experiences are country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

hi just one quick question. do we have to submit the medical report to VFS or can we take it with us for interview. bcoz i have got my medical on 9th and VFS appointment by 10th. but i will get my medical report only by 10th 3.30 pm . so im afraid that i wont be able to submit the medical report with other documents. if in that case is it alright to take it with me for interview?

Timeline

hi just one quick question. do we have to submit the medical report to VFS or can we take it with us for interview. bcoz i have got my medical on 9th and VFS appointment by 10th. but i will get my medical report only by 10th 3.30 pm . so im afraid that i wont be able to submit the medical report with other documents. if in that case is it alright to take it with me for interview?

Hi,

Yes, that was what I was told by VFS when I called them. I am also told that though you are not allowed to take sealed docs inside, the medical report is collected at the first window. So, don't worry, you should be fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.